Text Size

No Holds Barred

Fuc% the Katrina S%^$

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Fuc% the Katrina S%^$

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:39 am

Jesus H Christ. All I heard on the radio this morning and see online is the city of New orleans deserving a Super Bowl win because of the Katrina ties and the Superdome being the a huge por-to-let for months.

Shut the fuck up with it please.

I didn't give a shit if the Jets won for the 9/11 victims.

I don't want the Thunder winning the NBA title to honor the goddamn Timmy McVey deaths and I don't give a shit about the Browns, Cavs or Indians doing it in memory of the East Ohio Gas explosion victims in 1944.

Is there a statute of limitations on the fucking Katrina tie-in? Are we at least close to hitting yet?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fuc% the Katrina S%^$

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 am

Peeker643 wrote:Jesus H Christ. All I heard on the radio this morning and see online is the city of New orleans deserving a Super Bowl win because of the Katrina ties and the Superdome being the a huge por-to-let for months.

I don't want the Thunder winning the NBA title to honor the goddamn Timmy McVey deaths and I don't give a shit about the Browns, Cavs or Indians doing it in memory of the East Ohio Gas explosion victims in 1944.

Is there a statute of limitations on the fucking Katrina tie-in? Are we at least close to hitting yet?

Peeks, the King Cake hangover hitting you today? :clap:

You are salty. :woot:

Moratorium on Katrina has yet to run out. :thud:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 am

fundamentals wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Jesus H Christ. All I heard on the radio this morning and see online is the city of New orleans deserving a Super Bowl win because of the Katrina ties and the Superdome being the a huge por-to-let for months.

Peeks, the King Cake hangover hitting you today? :clap:

You are salty. :woot:

Moratorium on Katrina has yet to run out. :thud:

I'd like to dedicate this next post to the victims of the Yugolavian small pox epidemic of 1972.

# 10,237 is for you.

:fu:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

As annoying as it is, it makes for a good story and thats all the media is going to talk about.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 am

I'm torn on the Stanley Cup, boys. On one hand I'm rooting for the Rangers, because the city of New York really needs a pick-me-up after the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire.

On another hand, if the Caps win it all, what a wonderful thing it would be for Washington DC after getting burned down by the Redcoats.

And don't let me forget about the Thrashers. Imagine what a Stanley Cup would do for all those folks displaced by Sherman's bummers.

Tough choice, indeed.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 am

Rat_Tail wrote:

As annoying as it is, it makes for a good story and thats all the media is going to talk about.

No it doesn't.

It makes for an easy, lazy story that's no longer relevant to most people.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

So you're not looking forward to watching the 12 hour pre game show? I'm sure ESPN will have Kenny Mayne walking around affected areas w/ Brangelina. And Tom Jackson will sit down with Mayor Nagin I'm sure.

The networks surely won't milk it for all it's worth. ;-) ;) :wink:

Plus I'm sure the people in the Gulf state areas are looking forward to reliving the whole experience again via these reports.
Last edited by Larvell Blanks on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

I don't understand how having a tragedy is equated to deserving a sports championship.

I caught shit for not rooting for the fucking Yankees after 9/11. All that nonsense about "we're all New Yorkers now". Bullshit..... I have never and will never be a New Yorker.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I caught shit for not rooting for the fucking Yankees after 9/11.

You wouldn't have caught it from me, CDT. I was as sick with that shit as you probably were.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

If a Super Bowl would some how further erase this memory for these people it is just a sure sign that we value sports way too much. A SB ain't bring back the people who died or rebuilding the houses.

Besides, Its more fun if the Colts win because e0y2e3 will get all pissy about Manning having another SB
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am

I'd like an update story on the people who used the assistance given to them and put it toward Saints season tickets - because reportedly there were quite a few.

Interested in seeing how glorious their lives are today.

Again, said it several times on this site - but a Katrina victim who lost his shelter, friends or family to the Hurricane, can't really give two shits if Reggie Bush breaks a long one, as the media would have us believe.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Image Remember the Indianapolis!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WarAdmiral

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm

I had to go at least 15 houses down the street today to fetch my garbage can yesterday, yet I don't see anybody winning any championships for me.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:25 pm

In my quest for NHB Dickdom I'd just like to say I never felt much pity for people too fucking stupid and ignorant to evacuate the city as advised two fucking days befor Katrina landed...

That they all decided to 'evacuate' in the Super Dome and wait for some gubmint agency to save their ignirt asses after the fact is a testament to the Welfare State they've grown to love

...but it still won't get me to root for Humongus Head
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cease » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Great take. It is a weak ploy by the media to get to get people to emotionally invest in the back story of New Orleans and then transpose that emotional investment into an comparatively meaningless sporting event.

Pain is among the lowest common denominator to drive interest (along with sex, scandal and Bernie Kosar). Even the biggest dolt at your superbowl party is going to connect emotionally to Katrina. We all have. Our friend Harvey Pekar might say our genuine New Orleans empathy is being "co-opted" by the lazy writers and producers.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:In my quest for NHB Dickdom I'd just like to say I never felt much pity for people too fucking stupid and ignorant to evacuate the city as advised two fucking days befor Katrina landed...

QFT. Felt bad for the people who lost their homes and possessions after evacuating. Don't give a shit anymore.

There's always this picture:

A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm

FMB & Tripods, you two must be from NEO?

FUDU

Unread postby General » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Treading very lightly because I live in Hurricane Alley but....... +1
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:In my quest for NHB Dickdom I'd just like to say I never felt much pity for people too fucking stupid and ignorant to evacuate the city as advised two fucking days befor Katrina landed...

QFT. Felt bad for the people who lost their homes and possessions after evacuating. Don't give a shit anymore.

There's always this picture:

See: Mississippi River, waterline, 20' below, living
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:25 pm

FUDU wrote:FMB & Tripods, you two must be from NEO?

Dude...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby dem425 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Wait for the Haitian Curling Team at Vancouver.........
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Here is a belief that I hold:

If you are brave (or dumb?) enough to live below sea level just off the coast of a large warm body of water that regularly produces tropical storms, AND you were given a few days advance notice telling you to leave before one of these storms impacted said area,....then your view that you deserve aid or sympathy from those of us who do not fall into that category does not hold a lot of water (unlike your streets do).

That said....

Forgive me for being the irrationally sympathetic liberal here, but I will be rooting for the Saints for 3 reasons: A) That franchise has mostly been bad during its existence, B) I do have a bit of sympathy for the area, and if an NFL Championship makes a few people happier then bully for them, C) If the Saints win, then in the future hopefully we won't have to listen to the media talking heads repeatedly bringing up Katrina and how the Saints are "America's Team" and stuff like that.

As I stated in another thread, one of my best friends has Colts season tickets and is a die-hard. Usually I cheer for my buddies' teams if I have no rooting interest but after the Colts won their Super Bowl I'm done throwing support behind them unless their playing a hated team like the Ravens, Steelers, or Pats. I had the opportunity to see a game in Indy and tailgate this year with my friend. It's incredible how spoiled the Colt fan base has become. After the game on the way to a local watering hole, I had to listen to dozens of people complain "Oh we ONLY beat the Texans by 3 points"...."Gosh we were TERRIBLE today"...."These games are so close, I think the Colts are gonna give me a heart attack"...."I don't know why I watch this team sometimes!!" Are you f**kin kiddin me? This win moved your team to 8-0!!! At this point, I was fairly certain that my Browns were going to go 1-15 and these clowns are bitching about a win over a pretty good (albeit underachieving) Texans team that has the Colts on track to go 19-0 until they pissed that away. Kiss my ass, Indianapolis!!!!
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm hoping the Saints win Sunday as well. But it's got nothing to do with hurricanes or Lake Ponchartrain.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Katrina helped this guy get his SB party stocked and ready...
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm

When people need help, you send in the best of the best.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:07 pm

What the hell difference does this make? If I lived on the coast in Florida and a hurricane was coming, I'd get plywood, board my windows, and get the fuck out of there. Same thing if I was told to evacuate from a wildfire in California.

I would have been gone a week before Katrina if I lived below sea level.

Katrina achieved Darwinism. Period.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Should I assume from these callous responses that none of you rooted for the Patriots after 9/11 either?

You should all be ashamed.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Not reading the whole thread cause I'm in a bit of a rush, but the sole reason I am turning down the sound on the broadcast and turning up the local radio feed is because I'm tired of hearing the "K" word. And trust, everyone down here is tired of hearing it too.

43 years of the worst professional football the league has ever seen followed by this season is good enough to write about. Leave the past in the past.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

NM
Last edited by Larvell Blanks on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Not reading the whole thread cause I'm in a bit of a rush, but the sole reason I am turning down the sound on the broadcast and turning up the local radio feed is because I'm tired of hearing the "K" word. And trust, everyone down here is tired of hearing it too.

43 years of the worst professional football the league has ever seen followed by this season is good enough to write about. Leave the past in the past

Sounds like the exact conversation I had with my brother in law 2 nights ago.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I feel like I've conversed on this topic way too much in my life, so excuse me if I'm short with it. The amount of people left in the city was a combination of weather pattern changes, ridiculous amount of poverty in the city, and poor government planning on all levels. Classic have/have not situation in the end. It seems like ages ago though, and the city has improved in many ways. I never was a huge fan of going into the city unless I had to, I was alot more of a Baton Rouge fan with the typical college town atmosphere. But NOLA is nicer now, it's got a good vibe, it's cleaned up alright. Slow progress, but progress none the less.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:I feel like I've conversed on this topic way too much in my life, so excuse me if I'm short with it. The amount of people left in the city was a combination of weather pattern changes, ridiculous amount of poverty in the city, and poor government planning on all levels. Classic have/have not situation in the end. It seems like ages ago though, and the city has improved in many ways. I never was a huge fan of going into the city unless I had to, I was alot more of a Baton Rouge fan with the typical college town atmosphere. But NOLA is nicer now, it's got a good vibe, it's cleaned up alright. Slow progress, but progress none the less.

Not the time or the issue Bayou, but I do note that thousands upon thousands of impoverished people in Banda Aceh and an entire Indonesian island of people who make the impoverished of New Orleans look like the Rockefellers all escaped to higher ground with far less warning time.

Again, I'm not trying to politicize the issue or diminish the poverty angle, I'm just sayin'....

I agree with you that the underdog story and the enjoyment of watching their offense is more than enough for me to be on board.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:I feel like I've conversed on this topic way too much in my life, so excuse me if I'm short with it. The amount of people left in the city was a combination of weather pattern changes, ridiculous amount of poverty in the city, and poor government planning on all levels. Classic have/have not situation in the end. It seems like ages ago though, and the city has improved in many ways. I never was a huge fan of going into the city unless I had to, I was alot more of a Baton Rouge fan with the typical college town atmosphere. But NOLA is nicer now, it's got a good vibe, it's cleaned up alright. Slow progress, but progress none the less.

Not the time or the issue Bayou, but I do note that thousands upon thousands of impoverished people in Banda Aceh and an entire Indonesian island of people who make the impoverished of New Orleans look like the Rockefellers all escaped to higher ground with far less warning time.

Again, I'm not trying to politicize the issue or diminish the poverty angle, I'm just sayin'....

I agree with you that the underdog story and the enjoyment of watching their offense is more than enough for me to be on board.

No doubt it goes alot deeper. We can get into the whole discussion of the "what can I do for myself" vs "what will you do for me" mindsets and I'm sure we would be in agreement on alot of points. I think for the sake of staying on track for this topic, we agree it shouldn't even be a sub-plot. This game has enough good stories within it, you just have to dig a little. Playing the K-Card is a lazy way out for a journalist covering this thing. We're just as (if not more) tired of it than you guys are.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby jb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What's been done to Ohio economically since 1970 has been every bit as destructive as katrina if not more.

But becasue those doofi live in a fuckin' hurricane disaster waiting to happen again area we "HAVE" to help them rebuild. So it can happen again. Bull shit. We otta send the fuckers trailers with WHEELS. Kinneson's U-Hauls.

Meanwhile? Springfield, Lima, C-town, Dayton, Canton, Mansfiled, Y-town, Toledo, Steuebenville, etc etc? Screw you. Send your tax dollars to NOLA.

Ur on yer own.

Go Colts.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 pm

WarAdmiral wrote:Image Remember the Indianapolis!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/jaws.html
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Should I assume from these callous responses that none of you rooted for the Patriots after 9/11 either?

I did.

But it was to honor the memory of Crispus Attucks, not 9 11.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 am

What's the moratorium on NEO crying about the death of industry?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 am

Skating Tripods wrote:

What the hell difference does this make? If I lived on the coast in Florida and a hurricane was coming, I'd get plywood, board my windows, and get the fuck out of there. Same thing if I was told to evacuate from a wildfire in California.

I would have been gone a week before Katrina if I lived below sea level.

Katrina achieved Darwinism. Period.
Relax Tripods, it's a you had to be there thing.

FUDU

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 am

HoodooMan wrote:Should I assume from these callous responses that none of you rooted for the Patriots after 9/11 either?

Good chance at least some of the mouth-breathers who waved the terrorists through at Logan Airport that morning were Pats fans.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cease » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:07 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What's the moratorium on NEO crying about the death of industry?

More than a shred of truth to that question. The national press does tend to play this angle with rust-belt cities: Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, et al... Have for years.

I don't accept sympathy for Cleveland's economy as much as I accept sympathy for our sports history- which should be a more interesting story for sports writers and readers.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Being a vicitim is now the highest thing a person can aspire to.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:Being a vicitim is now the highest thing a person can aspire to.

I got punched in the face in a bar (agree)
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:Being a vicitim is now the highest thing a person can aspire to.

I hope you punched them back.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Katrina helped this guy get his SB party stocked and ready...

Someone should call Darwin and tell him they found his link
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:

I hope you punched them back.

He did what the Brits always do. Hunker down and wait for the Americans to show up. :hide:
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:11 pm

He did what the Brits always do. Hunker down and wait for the Americans to show up.

First they have to abandon the French
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 pm

FUDU wrote:Relax Tripods, it's a you had to be there thing.

Yeah, I get it now. That guy's a dickhead.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to No Holds Barred