Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Picture Oscar

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Best Picture Oscar

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:35 am

A couple of surprises in the nominations

The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air.

For the record, on last week's Crystal Ball, I got 8 of 10 right. I thought Star Trek would get in, but I did hedge my bet by saying that if it didn't, then "District 9" will.

"The Blind Side" was a shock. I thought sure that "Invictus" would get in instead, but they went with the surprise $200 million + feel good movie.

Hard to handicap right now.

Avatar has momentum, BUT I think the fact that the screenplay wasn't nominated hurts it.

Up in the Air was an early favorite (and my favorite), BUT it gets hurt for being a comedic drama.

The Hurt Locker is the underdog favorite, BUT there are some flaws to this movie that I think will hurt.

Inglourious Basterds? Right now, that's my Dark Horse in this race. If the other three split votes almost evenly, this might slip into the win.

The rest? Thanks for coming...enjoy the party.

For the acting awards, the only drama in that will be whether it's Meryl Streep or Sandra Bullock for Best Actress. Jeff Bridges is a huge favorite for Best Actor (although Clooney might sneak in, a la Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke last year). But Christoph Walz for Basterds and Mo'Nique for Precious are 99.9999% locks for the Supporting Actor categories.

Re: Best Picture Oscar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am

Give me Inglourious Basterds.

Great acting and plot.

The scene in the tavern is epic.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:55 am

"The Blind Side" was a shock. I thought sure that "Invictus" would get in instead, but they went with the surprise $200 million + feel good movie.

I thought it was odd (and telling) that Invictus received nominations for Best Actor and Support Actor and still got shutout in the 10-nomination category.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 am

To do my normal review of all movies running up to the Oscars, I now have three movies on the list that I've watched but haven't yet written a review (Up, The Hurt Locker, and District 9), and three movies yet to see (An Education, Precious, and A Serious Man).

Personally, I don't have any real desire to see Precious or A Serious Man, other than to review it. I may end up being wrong, and I'll go in open minded (as much as I can, anyway), but these two movies reak to me of the type of "elite" films that really aren't that good, but we get told by snobs how much we need to go see them.

I actually think "A Serious Man" might be the worst based on the buzz I'm hearing. It's a semi-comedy, done by the Coen Brothers, who like to get weird sometimes with their movies (audience be damned), and it's supposed to be a very insider type film about being Jewish in 1960s Minnesota.

I smell another "The Reader" or "Atonement" coming.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:14 am

Blind Side, christ shoot me in the face.

Avatar winning will make me boycott paying any attention to these things for a few years as well.

That said, Invictus was pretty meh as well. I mean they forgot the whole "telling a story interestingly" and "drama" aspects to film making. If not for Freeman being a general bad ass it would have sucked.

Hurt Locker or UiTA or Inglorious and I am fine (not going to scream is Precious wins either).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am

The only movies that I'm surprised about are "Blind Side" and "District 9". I saw D9 and it was great and I thought it deserved the nomination. I never thought it would be nominated for Best Picture with the way the academy is. Thank God there are 10 spots instead of the usual 5.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 am

The Oscars are all politics anyway.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 am

District 9?

WTF, that movie was awful.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:55 am

Mitch wrote:To do my normal review of all movies running up to the Oscars, I now have three movies on the list that I've watched but haven't yet written a review (Up, The Hurt Locker, and District 9), and three movies yet to see (An Education, Precious, and A Serious Man).

Personally, I don't have any real desire to see Precious or A Serious Man, other than to review it. I may end up being wrong, and I'll go in open minded (as much as I can, anyway), but these two movies reak to me of the type of "elite" films that really aren't that good, but we get told by snobs how much we need to go see them.

I actually think "A Serious Man" might be the worst based on the buzz I'm hearing. It's a semi-comedy, done by the Coen Brothers, who like to get weird sometimes with their movies (audience be damned), and it's supposed to be a very insider type film about being Jewish in 1960s Minnesota.

I smell another "The Reader" or "Atonement" coming.

I enjoyed "A Serious Man" and although the main character, especially, was very stereotypically Jewish I didn't think the movie as a whole was particularly insider Jewish to the point that a goy couldn't appreciate it. Certainly the overarching plot as a whole is not Jew-specific.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Sigh...
This is the sorriest list of Oscar hopefuls I've ever seen. Ever.
Based on writing, directing, acting and production values, "Inglourious Basterds" may be the pick of the sick litter.
The Ugly Truth is that nominating members of AMPAS must have been under the effect of The Hangover. They want you to think that Everybody's Fine, without Knowing that most movie-goers realize that selecting nominees is not Fast and Furious, but It's Complicated. This year, it seems like the nominating members can hardly be called Law Abiding Citizens -- they are more like Public Enemies. I have The Proposal: just Drag Me to Hell instead of making me watch the Oscar ceremonies. Or we could just jump straight to 2012. If I weren't so Obsessed with what Hollywood churns out, I'd Extract myself from this conversation or, at the very least, just use an Avatar. Hollywoodland? More like Zombieland!
Instead of actually watching the awards ceremonies, I think I'll just Whip It that night. And it shouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out why.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:54 pm

FUDU wrote:District 9?

You didn't like it? I thought it was pretty good. Definitely a new take on alien movies. Didn't score any points with you for at least being original?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:

You didn't like it? I thought it was pretty good. Definitely a new take on alien movies. Didn't score any points with you for at least being original?

I think that's why it got the nod over Star Trek, as movies seen as part of a "franchise" are still frowned upon.

Loved the originality of District 9...but near the end it got pretty predictable.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm

District 9 was fun, but I wouldn't call it great. The dialogue was pretty bottom tier. Every other word is "Fuck".
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm

I just noticed that "The Road" didn't get any nominations. I haven't gotten around to see it yet. It looked like it was going to be good from the previews.. but honestly.. I totally forgot about it. Maybe the Academy Award voters forgotten about it was well.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:35 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:I just noticed that "The Road" didn't get any nominations. I haven't gotten around to see it yet. It looked like it was going to be good from the previews.. but honestly.. I totally forgot about it. Maybe the Academy Award voters forgotten about it was well.

I saw it, and I really wanted to love it...but it was just "a'wight". Two hours of watching a man and a boy starving to death while avoiding cannibals isn't exactly going to lift your spirits.

Viggo Mortensen was incredible, and I would rather have seen him getting a Best Actor nod than Jeremy Renner, but I just think the movie was such a downer that it's easy to overlook.

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 pm

I really don't get the love for Blind Side and Bullock. I admit I haven't seen it and don't ever intend to, but I'd be shocked if it isn't the same ol' sentimental schlock that it looks like it is.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Avatar doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this list.

Ugh, other than the visuals and I thought a decent job by Sigourney Weaver, really wasn't anything all that memorable. The script is unorginal and the lead in Sam Worthington was just terrible, he just came off as a poor man's Keanu Reeves.

and the Blind Side just seems like a run of the mill "Feel good football movie", that we've seen a thousand times before in Radio and Remember the Titans (which I feel on the surface appears to be a better movie, though admittingly I've never seen Blind Side.). Not only that it just seems like it strayed way away from the orignal intent of the book (which from what I've heard is simply about the importance of a left-tackle in modern football)
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Mitch wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:I just noticed that "The Road" didn't get any nominations. I haven't gotten around to see it yet. It looked like it was going to be good from the previews.. but honestly.. I totally forgot about it. Maybe the Academy Award voters forgotten about it was well.

I saw it, and I really wanted to love it...but it was just "a'wight". Two hours of watching a man and a boy starving to death while avoiding cannibals isn't exactly going to lift your spirits.

Viggo Mortensen was incredible, and I would rather have seen him getting a Best Actor nod than Jeremy Renner, but I just think the movie was such a downer that it's easy to overlook.

Yeah thats easily the biggest snub. Viggo and Kodi should've been nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Triple-S wrote:Not only that it just seems like it strayed way away from the orignal intent of the book (which from what I've heard is simply about the importance of a left-tackle in modern football)

I haven't read the book, but if this is correct I cannot help but think that they are bastards. Who wouldn't want to watch a 2 hour movie about the strategic importance of the OLT in modern football? Sounds just fascinating.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

I agree whole-heartedly with Triple S about Avatar......

As usual, the CGI took over part of the movie and there was no substantial plot line or character development.

I just watched the Hurt Locker. Again, an OK movie but it was no Black Hawk Down or Rules of Engagement.

Incredible, how they pick movies for Oscar nominations.......
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am

dem425 wrote:As usual, the CGI took over part of the movie and there was no substantial plot line or character development.

How can you say Avatar has no substantial plot line?

And it's unfair to say the plot is "unoriginal" because there's probably 5 completely original plots in all of Hollywood.

Everyone uses everyone elses material.

I'm not saying Avatar is the best movie ever made but it easily deserves a nomination. Way more than the Blind Side.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 pm

I was pretty proud of my success rate with my predictions about this list.

My original predictions were:

Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious

Either Up or Fantastic Mr. Fox (I knew one animated film would get it, figured one of these two)
Invictus
A Serious Man
District 9

Either Star Trek / The Hangover or The Blind Side (I knew they'd choose one bigger box office film that critics generally enjoyed as well, these three had best chances)

So I only got Invictus vs. An Education wrong. I've seen 8 of the 10 actual nominations, only A Serious Man and An Education have I not seen. But I'll try to watch those two before the show.

I either really liked or loved all of the 8 I've seen for different reasons. They are all great in their own way IMO. I never go into films with expectations, I just take them for what they were meant to be. If they succeed in doing what they meant to do, then I'm good. With that being said, I don't particularly think The Blind Side should have gotten it. However, I'm not surprised that it did.

I was stoked that District 9 actually did get a nom, though I was kind of hoping Sharlto Copley would get a surprise nod. I was pulling for Star Trek instead of The Blind Side but there was no way two real sci-fi films would be nominated.

Precious was extremely powerful to me. You can't help but feel for the poor girl but it's great to see how she grows and gets stronger throughout the film. Mo'Nique COMPLETELY deserves her Supporting Actress noms/awards though. She makes you really hate the woman she plays. Who'da thunkit..... Mo'Nique, lol.

I would say that I agree with Mitch, the award will go to one of the 4 of Avatar, Up in the Air, The Hurt Locker or Inglourious Basterds.

Personally I wouldn't be angry if any of them won, though I don't even want to think about all of the people who hate Avatar going batshit crazy if it wins. (I've noticed that people who didn't like Avatar tend to be REALLY hateful about it... and frankly it puzzles me why some put so much time and energy into it.) But MY favorites out of those 4 are Up in the Air and Inglourious Basterds.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby dem425 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Rat-Tail:

I'm sure you will agree that all of this is purely objective. In 1977, Star Wars was nominated as Best Picture but did not win. Out of the 6 pictures nominated, 5 of them were bordeline chick flicks and then there was Star Wars. It was THE most original movie script and began to set the standard for Sci-Fi flicks to come, as far as effects, storyline, character development, etc......

So, IMO, Avatar is a B- movie, decent effects, but check out any western where the White Man screwed the Native Americans and you have Avatar's plot.........

Again, just an opinion.....
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Damn, no l Hope There is Beer in Hell nominations.

I enjoyed the hell out of The Blindside. While it certianly isn't Saving Private Ryan or The Godfather, I thought it was a great story. Consider the racial aspect of the movie, and the setting, there is a bit to learn from this film, and it can be inspirational. The world would be a much better place with more Leigh Anne Tuohys around.

I am one, that doesn't put much weight into these awards, for like anyone else my tastes suit me, and using Oscars to select movies to watch, has proven disappointing for me. I fare much better by reading Mitch's reviews and rotten tomaters.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:01 am

I watched The Road last night and it should have made the list, without question. Sure it was depressing, but that's probably how living in a post apocalyptic world would be. I doubt there would be chocolate rivers and gumdrop forests.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby KingRex1583 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm

The down side to there now being ten BP nominees is crap like The Blind Side gets nominated. That movie was one giant cliche.

"You're changing that boy's life."
"No, he's changing mine."

Give me a break. People knock Avatar for supposedly not having an original script. A football movie about black and white people coming together. Haven't seen that one before.

Gotta say that Hurt Locker is the favorite to win right now, the way it stormed through the precursor awards. I would love to see it go to Inglourious, though.

Also, Bigelow's the favorite for directing, but would love to see Quentin get his first. He's got to get one eventually and this would be a great time to give it to him. I think the Academy will want to give it to a woman for the first time, though, for as much of a big deal as people are making about that.
Last edited by KingRex1583 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingRex1583

Favorite Player: Delonte West
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

KingRex1583 wrote:The down side to there now being ten BO nominees is crap like The Blind Side gets nominated. That movie was one giant cliche.

"You're changing that boy's life."
"No, he's changing mine."

Give me a break. People knock Avatar for supposedly not having an original script. A football movie about black and white people coming together. Haven't seen that one before.

One is Spike TV; the other is Lifetime Network.

Two sides of the same awful coin.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby mrburns » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, and Up in the Air were the best movies I saw last year (followed closely by Star Trek), and I think you can make an argument for any of them.

Titanic won on sheer spectacle, and Avatar crushes it in that category. Up in the Air was funny, tragic and introspective all at the same time and featured some great performances. Basterds was a great throwback with one of the most sinister villains I've ever seen, and I wonder if Tarantino might get some sympathy votes for the ridiculous Forest Gump Best Picture win back in the '90s.

Bottom line: I'm fine with any of those three taking home the statuette.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby kendricktamis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 am

For Best Picture "District 9" Photos Aliens arrive in South Africa only to be forced into apartheid-like conditions by the corporation charged with their care, in this socio-political thriller from producer Peter Jackson.
kendricktamis

Favorite Player: Ronado
Least Favorite Player: kaka

Unread postby waborat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

kendricktamis wrote:

For Best Picture "District 9" Photos Aliens arrive in South Africa only to be forced into apartheid-like conditions by the corporation charged with their care, in this socio-political thriller from producer Peter Jackson.

:bunny:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby olecowboy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Don't know why anyone would consider Up In The Air; it was just Danny Ocean firing people, nothing else to see. . .

:pop:
olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:27 pm

olecowboy wrote:Don't know why anyone would consider Up In The Air; it was just Danny Ocean firing people, nothing else to see. . .

How many Oscar's did The Ghost and Mr. Chicken win there Mr. Cowboy?

And how about that Don Knotts fellow?

(I'm not even going to bother bringing up a certain cartoon goose)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 pm

olecowboy wrote:Don't know why anyone would consider Up In The Air; it was just Danny Ocean firing people, nothing else to see. . .

Sigh...there are just sometimes when poking the bear just for the amusement of poking the bear is boring as shit.

For me...for the first time since I've started writing here, I don't have a clue. There are four movies that could possibly win this award, especially considering how they've changed the voting rules. The anomosity between the Avatar and The Hurt Locker camps could end up sinking both.

If that were to happen, Inglourious Basterds will more than likely win, but Up in the Air could also sneak in.

My preference would be to see Up in the Air win, as I think it is the most worthy. However, if I were forced to lay money (always a bad sign with me) I'd put it on Inglourious Basterds, which I like more now after seeing it a second time than after first viewing.

However...unlike two years ago with No Country for Old Men, I wouldn't be upset if Avatar or The Hurt Locker won...I liked both of them for totally different reasons.

So tomorrow night's just about the entertainment.

And the cleavage. :clap:

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:37 am

Avatar was fucking awful. District 9 was cool but the dialouge was worse than an episode of that trash Jersey Shore show.

The Oscars are garbage anyway. It's all about politics, the judges barely know what a great movie is.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Really liked your predictions today Mitch!

Haven't seen Up In The Air yet...

Have no problem if either Hurt Locker or Avatar win the statue...

But I hope you're right and the Basterds mow 'em down (pun intended)
waborat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Avatar was fucking awful.

This. Dances with Wolves with blue natives.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mrburns » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Avatar was fucking awful.

This. Dances with Wolves with blue natives.

Well, that and the most incredible visual experience I've had in a theater. Honestly, I feel sorry for people who can't just enjoy Avatar for what it is.
mrburns

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 am

Well, according to many out there Avatar made Cameron the best director of all time.

Kinda crazy he didn't even pull the award for this single year.....

Avatar should win all the pretty lights things and people should have respected it for being a nice shiny object and nothing more. The insanity wrapped around it being this great film is what sets most off. It's a pretty painting. A $400MM pretty painting.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mrburns » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Well, according to many out there Avatar made Cameron the best director of all time.

Kinda crazy he didn't even pull the award for this single year.....

Avatar should win all the pretty lights things and people should have respected it for being a nice shiny object and nothing more. The insanity wrapped around it being this great film is what sets most off. It's a pretty painting. A $400MM pretty painting.

What's wrong with a movie being escapist? Not trying to argue it's life-altering or anything like that. It's okay to dislike a movie that receives overwhelmingly positive reviews, but people who go so far to the other end of the spectrum and say that Avatar was the worst thing ever are just being cynical or trying to rub against the grain.

Overall, I don't think Cameron was even the best director nominated tonight. I prefer Tarantino and if Reitman keeps this up, I'd rank him higher, too. That said, Aliens and Terminator 2 would both rank really high on my list of best action movies, and Avatar should at least be in the conversation as one of the greatest epics. Cameron has done as much for CGI and special effects over the course of his career as any director out there, and he definitely deserves some props.

Would've loved to see "Up in the Air" get Best Picture or Tarantino nab Best Director. Gotta think that Reitman's going to get Best Director sooner rather than later.
mrburns

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 am

Felt very rushed at the end with Tom Hanks, lol. Before I knew it, the winner was announced and all I could think was WTF. Hurt Locker was a good movie, but not the Best Picture of the year IMO.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 am

Mr. Burns wrote:What's wrong with a movie being escapist? Not trying to argue it's life-altering or anything like that. It's okay to dislike a movie that receives overwhelmingly positive reviews, but people who go so far to the other end of the spectrum and say that Avatar was the worst thing ever are just being cynical or trying to rub against the grain.

Exactly...

Great overall movie? No, not too many are

Entertaining & cutting edge? Absolutely

I said the same thing Matt said above, that it was DWWs on steroids...So it didn't have an original story, who cares? How many movies really do anymore? Basterds had one of THE most original stories I've seen in a long time and it didn't even win best screenplay? The Hurt Locker? Liked it a lot, but was it a groundbreaking story? Nothing any different that you don't get on History or Smithsonian Channel every night...

I went in to see Avatar in it's third week of release not knowing shit about it...I knew I'd probably go see it last year just because of all the time & money it took Cameron to make this thing...I was also intrigued by the whole 3D thing because I've never wanted to see one of the previous released ones before...After the movie, my wife & I were still talking positive about what we saw on the screen an hour later...Very few movies do I feel I've got my money's worth, this was one
waborat

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am

I don't understand why people are defending a POV I never went after.

My complaints are aimed at the huge segment of society (the Star Wars tools and trekkies) that are parading around acting like Avatar is the greatest thing since sliced bread and deserved the Oscar.

Avatar was a pretty picture, as I said. If you enjoyed it for being that good for you.

If you lost perspective and ran around declaring Cameron the greatest director of all time for spending a shit load of money on making a shiny object then I have issues.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:My complaints are aimed at the huge segment of society (the Star Wars tools and trekkies) that are parading around acting like Avatar is the greatest thing since sliced bread and deserved the Oscar.

That's the entire point. Remember, you're talking about generation defining movies. Pop culture icons, regardless of personal opinion. Avatar is like that. If sliced bread = movies, Avatar is the greatest technical thing, and certainly worthy of the nomination.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I don't understand why people are defending a POV I never went after.

My complaints are aimed at the huge segment of society (the Star Wars tools and trekkies) that are parading around acting like Avatar is the greatest thing since sliced bread and deserved the Oscar.

Avatar was a pretty picture, as I said. If you enjoyed it for being that good for you.

If you lost perspective and ran around declaring Cameron the greatest director of all time for spending a shit load of money on making a shiny object then I have issues.

Personally not trying to impugn you E...

I know what you were saying and I agree with the whole "YOU ARE F#@KING INSANE IF YOU DON'T SEE, LOVE & REWARD THIS MOVIE" that seems to happen every year for 1 or 2 flicks...

I do laugh when I see things like CDT said above that this movie is "fucking aweful" though...I know a ton of people who don't like "fantasy" films...No problem, but Battlefield Earth, 88 Minutes & Good Luck Chuck are fucking aweful...A billion dollars says Avatar wasn't
waborat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 am

waborat wrote: I do laugh when I see things like CDT said above that this movie is "fucking aweful" though...I know a ton of people who don't like "fantasy" films...No problem, but Battlefield Earth, 88 Minutes & Good Luck Chuck are fucking aweful...A billion dollars says Avatar wasn't

Taste in film is hugely subjective. I think the popularity of Avatar has much more to due with the great technical achievements than any type of story telling or superior acting. Although it's always nice to see Giovanni Ribisi. A great in-theater experience? Yes. Breaking new ground for special effects? Yes. Preachy and predictable? Yes. While I can admire the work of Cameron with respect to the look of the film, and will admit it was a great escape, I just didn't care for the story.

BTW, some of that $1B was mine.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Avatar's story was blah, the dialogue was bad (not as bad as District 9), and I knew how the film would play out before even seeing it. Sepcial effects cannot make up for these shortcomings IMO. Alot of my friends think i'm nuts for not loving Avatar, it just wasn't what i'm looking for in a movie.

It was no Short Circuit 2.

And Wabo, how much money Avatar made doesn't make it a good movie. Titanic and Spiderman made boatloads of money, and those movies were steaming turds.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:And Wabo, how much money Avatar made doesn't make it a good movie. Titanic and Spiderman made boatloads of money, and those movies were steaming turds.

Never said it did, I said a ton of money makes it not "fucking aweful"...

Titanic & ET aren't my cup a java...

Both made big bucks, seen em both, give both a take em or leave em shrug...

Like said by Matt, movies are subjective no doubt...

If ya thought it was a pile of shit, clean your boots and wash your hands
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I said a ton of money makes it not "fucking aweful"...

Have you seen Transformers 1 and 2?

Listen, i'm not slamming people who liked Avatar. People like different things, and that's great. I just thought the movie was an overhyped POS.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm

was not a good year for movies. let's face it.

Honestly, and I don't mean this as a slam on the Hurt locker in anyway, would such a movie actually stand up, if this was up against some of the nominees in 1998 or 1994?

It's not a "classic movie", it just doesn't irk that vibe to me. It's not like a movie like "The Deer Hunter" "American Beauty", "Schindlers List" "Platoon" "Gandhi" "The Godfathers 1 & 2" all of which have one the same honor. I just don't see it standing up to any of those, same with any movie on nomination list.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 pm

SSS, compare any average year to the top movies of all time and the year can look bleh, christ.

This was a fine year for movies.

Biggest reason it seems watered down is the ten nominees.

Which is silly and being done just because of the effing Dark Knight.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture