Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

This just makes me sick (movie remakes)

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

This just makes me sick (movie remakes)

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I came across this today via my boss and I damn near broke his monitor out of anger while reading it. It's just the ones slated for 2010, not even counting those planned for 2011 and beyond.

One giant WTF to this list.

http://lazysupper.com/?p=986

13 Tzameti
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Akira
All Of Me
Angel Heart
Arthur
Back To School
Barbarella
Battle Royale
Brighton Rock
Captain Blood
Child’s Play
Clash of the Titans
Conan
Death at a Funeral
Death Wish
Dune
Escape From New York
Fahrenheit 451
Fantastic Voyage
Flash Gordon
Footloose
Forbidden Planet
Frankenweenie
Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Hellraiser
High and Low
Highlander
Howard Stern’s Porky’s
I Spit on Your Grave
Knight Rider
Last Tango In Paris
Logan’s Run
Meatballs
Metropolis
My Fair Lady
Near Dark
Oldboy
Piranha
Poltergeist
Rashomon
Red Dawn
Red Sonja
Romancing The Stone
Rosemary’s Baby - REPORTEDLY SCRAPPED
Sharky’s Machine
Short Circuit
Starfighter (been informed it’s a sequel)
Straw Dogs
Sunset Boulevard
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
The Birds
The Blob
The Crazies
The Dirty Dozen
The Evil Dead
The Host
The Illustrated Man
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Jetsons
The Karate Kid
The Lives Of Others
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - REPORTEDLY SCRAPPED... thank God
The Shadow
The Star Chamber
The Stepfather
The Swarm
The Thing
The Warriors
The Witches
They Live
TRON (been informed it’s a sequel)
Westworld
When Worlds Collide

HOW THE HELL CAN THEY REMAKE SOME OF THOSE????????? Are you kidding me? I would bold the ones I'm the most angry about but I'd almost be bolding the entire list.

People need to boycott, man. Some gigantic movement on the internet and elsewhere or something. It's ridiculous.

Not only are they planning on ruining some completely beloved and classic movies, but they are depriving the public of any ingenuity and creativity whatsoever. Have they really run out of original ideas finally?
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Re: This just makes me sick (movie remakes)

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Even though it's a re-make I love the book so much that I cannot wait for the Fahrenheit 451 film to come out.

I heard Tom Hanks might be playing Guy Montag and Frank darabont will be directing

it's gonna be immense
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

But how can a remake of "The Karate Kid" starring Jackie Chan and Will Smiths kid go wrong?

:hide:

PS- The Footloose remake has been scrapped and I'm sure a lot of those other ones will too, just like the "Revenge of the Nerds" remake did a couple of years ago.
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of them either have been or will be scrapped. But the thought of them even TRYING to remake some of those and that there are/were SEVENTY-FIVE of them even thought about is vomit-enducing.

Oh and Tom Hanks dropped out of Farenheit 451 a couple years ago. It's now said to possibly involve Tom Sizemore. Which should be interesting.
cozmeesah

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:35 pm

The Red Dawn remake is the one that pisses me off the most.

That movie is a classic, and they are going to shit all over it. For those who dont know, the Russian invasion is being replace with a Chinese invasion.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

I liken the remakes to the 78,000 threads on the Browns quarterbacking situation or the 78,000 threads on Casey Blake getting at bats over Ben Francisco that all contain the same arguments.

People with an inability to think beyond a certain or level and who lack creativity have to fall back on something. ;-) ;) :wink:

By the way 'Neck, you figure out about when you're heading up here this summer? We need to make our way downtown for that beer and ballgame.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Peeker643 wrote:I liken the remakes to the 78,000 threads on the Browns quarterbacking situation or the 78,000 threads on Casey Blake getting at bats over Ben Francisco that all contain the same arguments.

People with an inability to think beyond a certain or level and who lack creativity have to fall back on something. ;-) ;) :wink:

By the way 'Neck, you figure out about when you're heading up here this summer? We need to make our way downtown for that beer and ballgame.

I wasnt arguing Casey Blake over Francisco, but Casey Blake over Gutierrez and Ryan Ludwick.

I havent decided a day yet, I have got to look at the schedule. My job is slow during the summer, so I can do almost any game. I guess I need to pick soon to make sure the games dont get sold out.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:I liken the remakes to the 78,000 threads on the Browns quarterbacking situation or the 78,000 threads on Casey Blake getting at bats over Ben Francisco that all contain the same arguments.

I wasnt arguing Casey Blake over Francisco, but Casey Blake over Gutierrez and Ryan Ludwick.

I havent decided a day yet, I have got to look at the schedule. My job is slow during the summer, so I can do almost any game. I guess I need to pick soon to make sure the games dont get sold out.

I wasn't referring to you in the first part you hump (though I guess I coulda been ;-) ;) :wink: )

Yes- Tickets are going like used hypodermic needles. They may have to start dishing out a hummer with every 6-pack of seats. But I lemme know when you figure it out so I can scratch up some good ones instead of the shitty ones an impoverished, barefoot, southern hick would likely be accustomed to. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

No jugs of hooch allowed either, FYI, unless you buy a seat for it.

You know why I still like baseball season despite living in the Haiti of MLB? Cause that's when I hear more from you 'Neck. :thumb up:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:33 pm

redneckofsc wrote:The Red Dawn remake is the one that pisses me off the most.

That movie is a classic, and they are going to shit all over it. For those who dont know, the Russian invasion is being replace with a Chinese invasion.

Which confuses the hell out of me, because why would one want to invade your biggest business partner? Also, add to the fact that China is traditionally not an agressor nation, and I don't think has all that much of an interest in War with us like the Russians back in the day. I'll see it for the hell of it though, I'm a sucker for fictional wars and tom clancy like things.

Dune? why would want to remake a film in which it's own director disowned it?

1984..? Eh..if done right has potential. And when I mean "done right" meaning, out of the hands of a micheal bay clone.

Back To School? An effort in futility. Dangerfield MADE that movie (along with the kinison cameo). Not worth even touching. There's not a single person who could touch Rodney's mike at this point.

Escape From New York/The Warriors..? Please don't touch either, I hear The Warriors are going to be modernized and made with gangsta' rap type gangs...how f-ing stupid.

The Jetsons sound destined to be another crap movie.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby General » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:53 pm

If they redo each of them with a hot lesbo scene, I am all for it.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm very angry at quite a lot of these, but a few that I will name right now are Poltergeist and The Birds.

I can not BELIEVE they are gonna screw with a Hitchcock. Especially when it's planned to be produced by Michael Bay and no worth a damn director is attached to it. That would just be disgraceful.

Then My Fair Lady and Last Tango in Paris? *sigh*

I can sort of understand remaking films if they were bad to begin with. But some of these, and others not on the list, are wonderful films on their own and do not need remaking.
cozmeesah

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Uhm, has anyone ever told you guys that just because a movie idea is floating around Hollywood doesn't mean it'll get done?

I mean, the remake craze sucks, no doubt. But IMO, 90% of these will be bad ideas that end up no able to lock down financing, actors, dirs, studio support, etc.

If we started a thread every six months about all of the bad movie ideas floating around Hollywood our heads would explode.

Just sayin'

*shrug*
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:54 pm

The Crazies looks kinda interesting, nothing ground breaking original. Romero doing it so i'll see it, despite how shitty Land Of The Dead and Diary Of The Dead were.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Who will be Barbarella?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Uhm, has anyone ever told you guys that just because a movie idea is floating around Hollywood doesn't mean it'll get done?

I mean, the remake craze sucks, no doubt. But IMO, 90% of these will be bad ideas that end up no able to lock down financing, actors, dirs, studio support, etc.

If we started a thread every six months about all of the bad movie ideas floating around Hollywood our heads would explode.

Just sayin'

*shrug*

You obviously have seen my post before on the Indians forum. I overreact to everything
Last edited by redneckofsc on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Not to mention that if you click on the blog entry it also notes it includes alleged foreign films in this list.

Which, well, is amazing for a number of obvious reasons.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 pm

redneckofsc wrote:You obviously have seen my post before on the Indians forum. I overreact to everything

If I spent more than a few minutes a month in the Indians forum my head would explode.

I leave those/you idiots to Peeks....

He's got that on lock down.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Yes- Tickets are going like used hypodermic needles. They may have to start dishing out a hummer with every 6-pack of seats. But I lemme know when you figure it out so I can scratch up some good ones instead of the shitty ones an impoverished, barefoot, southern hick would likely be accustomed to. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

No jugs of hooch allowed either, FYI, unless you buy a seat for it.

The closest I have ever gotten to watching an Indians game was on the 13" tv in my airstream trailer.

I hope my Transam can make the trip all the way up the Cleveland.
Last edited by redneckofsc on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 pm

1984 is due a remake

wasn't it last made in the 50's? not long after the book
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:You obviously have seen my post before on the Indians forum. I overreact to everything

If I spent more than a few minutes a month in the Indians forum my head would explode.

I leave those/you idiots to Peeks....

He's got that on lock down.

Implying the Cavs forum is any different.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Uhm, has anyone ever told you guys that just because a movie idea is floating around Hollywood doesn't mean it'll get done?

Just sayin'

*shrug*

Yes. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to see the movies.

Just because they remake red dawn with Zack Efron and Miley Cirus instead of Ponyboy and Ferris's sister doesn't make the original kick any less ass. And, who gives a crap if a bunch of stupid teenagers think the remake is the cat's ass because they are too stupid to look up the original? We all know the truth.

There are mostly bad ideas that won't come to fruition, but also a few good ideas. I don't know if Dune is a good idea but they couldn't make it any worse, right. Bad movies are the ones the SHOULD remake, right.

And then there are movies like Oldboy. Totally kick ass flick. But, how many people do you know who have seen it? It might not be a bad idea to take a cool Korean (I think) movie and try to bring it on over. Sure, there's more of a chance that someone will just screw it up, and if that's the case we still have the original. It's not like they are replacing the original movies, never to be seen again.

Don't get me wrong, I work from the assumption that a remake is going to completely suck and be a huge waste of time. But, I also don't understand why people get so damn pissed off about the idea.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

I get pissed because it shows how lazy Hollywood is. There are fewer and fewer original movies being made. It's either a sequel or a remake. If people keep watching this crap, they're gonna keep making it.

Can't wait for them to start remaking the Transformer movies.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I get pissed because it shows how lazy Hollywood is. There are fewer and fewer original movies being made. It's either a sequel or a remake. If people keep watching this crap, they're gonna keep making it.

Can't wait for them to start remaking the Transformer movies.

Yeah, I get that and I can't disagree. I guess I just figure that any asshole looking to remake Short Circuit probably didn't have a whole lot to offer in the originality department anyway.

I suppose you could argue that the money spent on these stupid remakes would be going instead to more worthy projects. I have my doubts about that but I couldn't say for sure. That would be a real downside.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Just sayin'

*shrug*

Yes, and I believe I said this in my second post. But the thing is, out of 75-100 planned remakes, there will still be a good number of those that actually come to fruition just from the odds alone. And that is also 75-100 different groups of people that are wasting their time on hopeless ideas about remakes that are most likely going to suck, when all that time and money and manpower could go to something actually original. But I guess it's also like MS said, chances are someone who thought remaking Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was a good idea wouldn't ever have made anything original AND worthwhile anyway.

It's what CDT said. Hollywood is lazy. Regardless of whether or not I actually see the film, I hate thinking that a crappy remake could possibly tarnish the legacy of the original film in the mind of the general public.
cozmeesah

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 am

I don't think it's so much hollywood is lazy, as it is more so that in the world of television, music, and movies is that things have been filtered to the nth degree, really now it's whatever is either cheap and/or makes money.

You don't see anyone particulary talented get signed to a mainstream music label now-a-days. It's been pre-packaged and already made, 15 minutes and then they plug in another artist.

Television? Who needs writers? Just tape something like Jersey Shore and watch people make idiots of themselves, practically writes itself.

Movies? Again, the script is not as valued anymore, you stick enough fancy graphics and write something half-assed, people will go pay 8 bucks to go see it, just to ooh and aah the audience. Avatar is a great example of this, frankly, the lead protagnist sucked, and pretty much every actor playing the blue-cat people were doing impressions of Native American. Hell, the President of the mining operation IS A DIRECT RIPOFF OF JEREMY PIVEN'S CHARACTER IN "ENTOURAGE". "Dances with smurfs"? You betcha, but it was enjoyable to see on screen.

Really if you want to see something good or great even, you gotta search for it, look through the indepedent stuff and places where you tradionally look.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Indyan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

Triple-S wrote:I don't think it's so much hollywood is lazy, as it is more so that in the world of television, music, and movies is that things have been filtered to the nth degree, really now it's whatever is either cheap and/or makes money.

You don't see anyone particulary talented get signed to a mainstream music label now-a-days. It's been pre-packaged and already made, 15 minutes and then they plug in another artist.

Television? Who needs writers? Just tape something like Jersey Shore and watch people make idiots of themselves, practically writes itself.

Movies? Again, the script is not as valued anymore, you stick enough fancy graphics and write something half-assed, people will go pay 8 bucks to go see it, just to ooh and aah the audience. Avatar is a great example of this, frankly, the lead protagnist sucked, and pretty much every actor playing the blue-cat people were doing impressions of Native American. Hell, the President of the mining operation IS A DIRECT RIPOFF OF JEREMY PIVEN'S CHARACTER IN "ENTOURAGE". "Dances with smurfs"? You betcha, but it was enjoyable to see on screen.

Really if you want to see something good or great even, you gotta search for it, look through the indepedent stuff and places where you tradionally look.

I know I should be on meds for my cynicism, but I think most of the time Hollywood aims to write a "good" (read: "catchy" or "attention grabbing") trailer and sod the unique ideas. Not only are there remakes galore, have you ever watched a movie on tv and then seen a commercial for a movie in theaters which is basically the same plot as what you're watching now? However, the new (therefore obviously better and worthy of ten more of my dollars) movie has (pick at least one of the following): 1) a new time period/location 2) a new style 3) a new cast (bonus points for each young, trendy star).
Indyan

Unread postby tecs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The Crazies looks kinda interesting, nothing ground breaking original. Romero doing it so i'll see it, despite how shitty Land Of The Dead and Diary Of The Dead were.

Other than an Executive Producer credit and acknowledgement of being the author of the original script, Romero had nothing to do with the filming of the remake.

That said, this one looks pretty interesting and Romero's original was badly flawed due to budgetary constraints so I don't have a problem with it being remade. The story probably has more relevance today than it did back in 1973 when the original was made.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby mrburns » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 am

I'm not against remakes, but why remake a classic like Karate Kid. At best, you make a movie that's just as good but won't be loved the same way because it's unoriginal.

Why aren't we looking for bad movies that had interesting concepts and remaking them?
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture