Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

RIP J.D Salinger

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

RIP J.D Salinger

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Author of my favorite book and literary character. Anybody else a Holden Caulfield fan?
bustedknuckles

Re: RIP J.D Salinger

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I like Catcher, but I love Nine Stories. That collection is pitch perfect. I dunno if any family in literary history holds more mystique than the Glass family. I'll be very interested to see what happens to his literary estate, but if he's half as protective as has been written about, anything he's written since his last story appearing in the New Yorker in the 60's won't see the light of day.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:20 pm

I read a story at some point in the 1990's that quoted one of the children saying that as soon as dear old dad kicked the bucket, they were going to publish every single thing he'd ever written.

Remember, Salinger may have been somewhat of a paranoid recluse, but that doesn't mean the family won't cash in on this. I wouldn't be surprised to see the first book out by Christmas with one a year for the next couple of decades.

Salinger did say he never stopped writing, he just didn't want to publish anymore. There's too much money to be made for the kids not to put everything out there. The only argument will be the how the profits are split.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:35 pm

justmebd wrote:I read a story at some point in the 1990's that quoted one of the children saying that as soon as dear old dad kicked the bucket, they were going to publish every single thing he'd ever written.

Remember, Salinger may have been somewhat of a paranoid recluse, but that doesn't mean the family won't cash in on this. I wouldn't be surprised to see the first book out by Christmas with one a year for the next couple of decades.

Salinger did say he never stopped writing, he just didn't want to publish anymore. There's too much money to be made for the kids not to put everything out there. The only argument will be the how the profits are split.

Why couldn't he have set up a trust, willed all unpublished materials to the trust and dictated the terms of if and when any unpublished works would be published?

I'm not saying he did or that it's protected, but I'd assume he thought of all of that and if he wanted to protect his works he could somehow by legally transferring ownership from him to another legal entity.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 pm

I read some comments from his daughter that were unflattering to say the least. Seems like she doesn't think too highly ofthe old man so I doubt she would have any problem cashing in.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:25 pm

JD dies the same day Steve Jobs introduces the iPad. Beautiful timing for page turners everywhere.

I did enjoy Catcher the couple times I read it as a youth. Will have to bust it out one more time and see if my POV has changed.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby mistero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 am

Catcher in the Rye is like early mop top Beatles.

It's what he's known for but his least favorite work for me.

Fran and Zoey...9 Stories... Raise High the Roofbeams...and the rest are so much more interesting to me.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
justmebd wrote:I read a story at some point in the 1990's that quoted one of the children saying that as soon as dear old dad kicked the bucket, they were going to publish every single thing he'd ever written.

Why couldn't he have set up a trust, willed all unpublished materials to the trust and dictated the terms of if and when any unpublished works would be published?

I'm not saying he did or that it's protected, but I'd assume he thought of all of that and if he wanted to protect his works he could somehow by legally transferring ownership from him to another legal entity.

Talking about this in tonight's Crystal Ball. He did set up the J.D. Salinger Literary Trust. And they are already on record as saying that nothing else gets published, no movies, no tv adaptation, no stage shows, no "sequels"...nuthin'

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture