Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Avatar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 am

I've seen the previews, i've heard the glowing reviews. I just can't stand the way the Alien cat people look.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm

CDT, i was pretty skeptical too walking into the theater (while paying 10.25 for a matinee! :gah: ) but it was about as legit as it can get for all the hype it has received. avatar is the real deal, it absolutely blew me away. i left the theater immediately wanting to see it again and not many movies do that to me. the effects are so life like and amazing and the story is very interesting on several different levels. trust me, u will regret not seeing this

PS - i don't know how espn plans on making a network entirely in 3D work. i may start a thread on this...
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Mitch wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Saw it again today. Gotta say, it's the most memorable experience I've had at the movies. Just amazing. If you haven't seen it, go see it, this is not the film to wait to see on DVD. See it on the biggest screen you can.

I've got to get out and see it again...but I think this time I'll catch it in 2D just to see if it's still as awesome.

Not sure yet about that Golden Globe award yet.

On one hand, I don't think this is as good of a movie as "Up In the Air", which was just an incredible story with amazing characters and acting.

But Avatar is An Event...one that will still be talked about in 20 years...something I can't say about Up In the Air. No matter how good UITA is...in 20 years it will be dated. Avatar will still be talked about like we still to this day talk about Star Wars.

So in that context...it might be worthy of the Best Picture Oscar.

Gives us something to talk about for the next 8 weeks, anyway.

I think it will win Best Picture. I don’t think any other movie could beat it out for BP. I just saw Avatar Saturday, and it was my first movie in 3-D. What an amazing experience. Just like Star Wars in its time, Avatar has changed cinema forever. In the near future, I bet more and more movies will be in 3-D.

I am looking forward to the Academy Awards nominations on Feb 2nd. I also don’t see Avatar getting any acting nominations, but it will get about everything else.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

::doh::
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:36 pm

No facepalms allowed when you've already admitted to being too much of a snob to even go see it. :spanky:

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

I already sat through like two of the Star Wars movies. No need to relive that if I can avoid it.

(I am going to end up seeing it eventually, probably, just so I can go real apeshit on people)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby olecowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 am

olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I already sat through like two of the Star Wars movies. No need to relive that if I can avoid it.

(I am going to end up seeing it eventually, probably, just so I can go real apeshit on people)

So, you're not really interested in seeing it just for the special effects and 3D? I haven't heard from anyone who wasn't absolutely astounded by the look of the thing. Even if you're sure the story is going to completely suck donkey balls isn't it worth a few hours of your life for the experience of seeing something you've never seen before? (allegedly...I haven't seen it yet either.)
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jordan kramer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:57 am

Motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I already sat through like two of the Star Wars movies. No need to relive that if I can avoid it.

So, you're not really interested in seeing it just for the special effects and 3D? I haven't heard from anyone who wasn't absolutely astounded by the look of the thing. Even if you're sure the story is going to completely suck donkey balls isn't it worth a few hours of your life for the experience of seeing something you've never seen before? (allegedly...I haven't seen it yet either.)

e0 tries waay too hard to constantly be the biggest cynical asshole he can be for him to do that
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 am

e0y2e3 wrote:::doh::

Seriously though, the story sucks (derivative), but if you're gonna see one movie in 3D in your lifetime; it has to be Avatar. My 2 cents.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby khetti » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:What an amazing experience. Just like Star Wars in its time, Avatar has changed cinema forever. In the near future, I bet more and more movies will be in 3-D.

Sadly, I feel you are correct. As amazing as it can be in Avatar, there are some movies that just don't require 3D -- yet studios will continue to stick that square peg in a round hole and stuff 3D down our throats because it's the "cool" thing to do.

The biggest drawback will be movies shot in 3D which fall flat in the home theater environment. I think we are still at least 3 or 4 years away from having true effective 3D in the home that does not rely on shuttered glasses. As if polarized 3D (aka RealD) was not enough to induce headaches, the battery-powered glasses with shutters that open and close each frame Hare even worse.

Sony is already trying to push the new style of 3D to Bluray -- and they'll likely start charging a premium for releases that feature 3D that only 5% of consumers will use. Sure, the PS3 can be updated to play 3D, but you'll still need the shuttered glasses to view content. The only way to truly get high-quality 3D in the home will be via front projectors that feature two lenses, each at a different polarization. However, I suppose there could be advances in LCD technology (or perhaps the LEDs used to backlight) that would uniquely polarize light.
khetti

Favorite Player: Kip
Least Favorite Player: Big Ben's Fat Face

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Brain trees and super valuable mineral shit. Are you fucking kidding me?

That's $14 i'll never get back.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 pm

Even if you're sure the story is going to completely suck donkey balls isn't it worth a few hours of your life for the experience of seeing something you've never seen before? (allegedly...I haven't seen it yet either.)

:lmfao:

uhhhhhhhh.........NO!
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

olecowboy wrote:::doh::

:pigs:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:31 pm

khetti wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:What an amazing experience. Just like Star Wars in its time, Avatar has changed cinema forever. In the near future, I bet more and more movies will be in 3-D.

Sadly, I feel you are correct. As amazing as it can be in Avatar, there are some movies that just don't require 3D -- yet studios will continue to stick that square peg in a round hole and stuff 3D down our throats because it's the "cool" thing to do.

Agreed.

3D is just a new way to market movies. It should only be used for movies like Avatar or anything created by Pixar. I think there's talk about 3D TV's but I wouldn't want one. It would get annoying.

The next Jackass movie is going to be in 3D. I can't wait.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

Rat_Tail wrote:The next Jackass movie is going to be in 3D. I can't wait.

No doubt
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

Just wait Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel 1&2, and The Bear Jew from Inglorious Basterds) is remaking uber B movie Pirahana in 3-D. Woooooooooooooo! Can't wait for that crapfest.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Just wait Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel 1&2, and The Bear Jew from Inglorious Basterds) is remaking uber B movie Pirahana in 3-D. Woooooooooooooo! Can't wait for that crapfest.

First Jackass in 3d and now this! Damn, my day cannot possibly get any better. :thud:

The sad thing is that 90% of America will accept this crap because its crap in 3D.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 pm

jack_tors wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Just wait Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel 1&2, and The Bear Jew from Inglorious Basterds) is remaking uber B movie Pirahana in 3-D. Woooooooooooooo! Can't wait for that crapfest.

First Jackass in 3d and now this! Damn, my day cannot possibly get any better. :thud:

The sad thing is that 90% of America will accept this crap because its crap in 3D.

"It's always easier to sell them some shit than it is to tell them the truth"
Baba Fats
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:57 pm

jack_tors wrote:

Jackass would still be hilarious if it wasn't going to be in 3D and it doesn't need to be in 3D to make a lot of money. But the fact that it's going to be in 3D is even better.

That Pirahana 3D bs is garbage in 3D.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Cameron, like Peter Jackson, could use some help in the editing room. "Avatar" could have easily been edited down to less than 120 minutes. Hell, there was one stretch in the middle where I could have left the theater, had a couple beers, taken a crap, and still not miss anything.

It better not get Best Picture. That'd be like "Shakespeare in Love" getting the Big Nudie in 1998 instead of "Saving Private Ryan."
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Ol' No.11 wrote:Cameron, like Peter Jackson, could use some help in the editing room. "Avatar" could have easily been edited down to less than 120 minutes. Hell, there was one stretch in the middle where I could have left the theater, had a couple beers, taken a crap, and still not miss anything.

It better not get Best Picture. That'd be like "Shakespeare in Love" getting the Big Nudie in 1998 instead of "Saving Private Ryan."

If there was as something as good as Saving Private Ryan, I'd agree that you might have something there.

But I'm not sure this year has that kind of film. Up in the Air and the Hurt Locker would be the two other favorites, but there are too many flaws in Hurt Locker (I'll put up the review in a few weeks), and UitA may get hurt by being a semi-comedy.

Total crap shoot this year.

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 am

You're right as usual, Mitch.

Strange as it may sound, Star Trek was the best flick I saw all year -- and I saw 62 on the big screen.

Inglourious Basterds, Up, and Up in the Air have all been mentioned for Best Picture, but they all have their problems. Haven't seen Precious, An Education, or A Serious Man. I rented The Hurt Locker from Blockbuster, but haven't cracked it open yet.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 am

Finally saw Avatar last night. Agree with the masses. Visually impressive, story ... eh. Definitely worth seeing. Not Best Pic nomination worthy IMO though.

But it is really amazing what they can do with CGI these days. That shit looked real.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Not going to watch a movie degrade military power and cool guns. Go back and hug a CGI tree you hippie avatard.

Aang didn't take sheet from the Fire Lord...

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture