Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Alton Brown - "live and let diet"

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Alton Brown - "live and let diet"

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

This is the latest episode of Good Eats, and it seems to be a bit controversial. Mostly because people have been wondering how Alton lost all the weight he has, and they aren't happy with his method. My guess is it takes too much discipline, or they don't like the things he says can be eaten a certain number of times a week. Just wondering if anyone here saw this, and what they think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJpmz1oduE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKUC0SmaFY&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Z4ZDRlXiU&feature=related[/youtube]
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Alton Brown - "live and let diet"

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Weight loss depends so much on your metabolism, muscle mass, and thus age. Alton Brown is 47, and for him to drop 50 pounds is extremely impressive. I think if you are in your 20's or 30's, his approach is too rigid (but still very healthy). At his age, it's probably required.

Here is the breakdown

Daily
- Fruits
- Whole Grains
- Leafy Greens
- Nuts
- Carrots
- Green Tea

3 times a week
- Oily Fish
- Yogurt
- Broccoli
- Sweet Potato
- Avocado

Once a week
- Red meat
- Pasta
- Dessert
- Alcohol

NEVER!
- Fast Food
- Soda
- Processed meals/frozen dinners
- Canned soup
- "Diet" anything
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 pm

It all comes down to discipline, every single time.

Obviously eating reasonably decent foods is a key and moderation plays a part, but it all falls under the category of discipline.

I mean now people can eat Taco Bell everyday and lose weight in a reasonably healthy way.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:48 pm

FUDU wrote:It all comes down to discipline, every single time.

Obviously eating reasonably decent foods is a key and moderation plays a part, but it all falls under the category of discipline.

I mean now people can eat Taco Bell everyday and lose weight in a reasonably healthy way.

Is that actually healthy, though? There are plenty of unhealthy ways to lose weight.

Anyone who is interested in improving their diet to make it more healthy just needs to take Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Doesn't need to be more complicated than that. (food means real food, not all the pseudo-food that fills grocery stores)
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:06 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Anyone who is interested in improving their diet to make it more healthy just needs to take Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

The biggest problem with diets is that people make the mistake of assuming they will work the same for everyone. Nothing is further from the truth. Of course it's a good idea to eat less junk. But why can I only eat red meat, pasta and beer once a week? Because this dude lost weight doing it? Not for me. Here's the rub. Exercise. That's the difference between people now, and people even 50 years ago. People have become sedentary. You know how I know that, because walking is now exercise. Really, walking? That's a mode of transportation. Unless you're old or are missing lower extremities, walking should not count as an exercise program.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Anyone who is interested in improving their diet to make it more healthy just needs to take Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

The biggest problem with diets is that people make the mistake of assuming they will work the same for everyone. Nothing is further from the truth. Of course it's a good idea to eat less junk. But why can I only eat red meat, pasta and beer once a week? Because this dude lost weight doing it? Not for me. Here's the rub. Exercise. That's the difference between people now, and people even 50 years ago. People have become sedentary. You know how I know that, because walking is now exercise. Really, walking? That's a mode of transportation. Unless you're old or are missing lower extremities, walking should not count as an exercise program.

Eat less, move more.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Eat less, move more.

It really isn't that smple. Check out Time mags "The myth of exercize" written this year. It isn't just quantities, it is also about types of food and eating patterns. When I was a Bill Phillips nut, it got to a point wher ethe pounds just fell off. Ultimately, I was too much in a rut and too lazy to keep it up that intensely.

I also am a bit of a Bill Maher freak on this one. Whentehr it is fst food or grocery store food, I believe that the additives and processing patterns are jacking us up in ways we can't even understand. Can't prove it though.

Lasly, I am too lazy to watch the whole thing, butt why is canned soup on the verbotten list if it is low fat and not something like Chunky steak & potato, other than high sodium? I thought like a Progresso could give you a nice veggie boost?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm

JB wrote: Lasly, I am too lazy to watch the whole thing, butt why is canned soup on the verbotten list if it is low fat and not something like Chunky steak & potato, other than high sodium? I thought like a Progresso could give you a nice veggie boost?

Brown advocates fresh natural foods that are nutrient rich. Even foods that are low in calories but devoid of vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids (canned soup, processed meals, "diet" anything) need not apply. The concept is more than low cal - it's overall wellness and concentration on "super foods".

He lost me at one alcoholic drink per week. I'm all for moderation, but that's a deal breaker.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:13 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Eat less, move more.

It really isn't that smple. Check out Time mags "The myth of exercize" written this year. It isn't just quantities, it is also about types of food and eating patterns.

It is to me bro. I can't speak for anyone else. Holidays when I eat more, drink more and run less, I gain weight. When I eat less and run more I lose it.

I'm headed to mid 40's and eat less/move more is a simple plan I can actually abide by.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
JB wrote: Lasly, I am too lazy to watch the whole thing, butt why is canned soup on the verbotten list if it is low fat and not something like Chunky steak & potato, other than high sodium? I thought like a Progresso could give you a nice veggie boost?

Brown advocates fresh natural foods that are nutrient rich. Even foods that are low in calories but devoid of vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids (canned soup, processed meals, "diet" anything) need not apply. The concept is more than low cal - it's overall wellness and concentration on "super foods".

He lost me at one alcoholic drink per week. I'm all for moderation, but that's a deal breaker.

The amino acids make lots of ense, but I do a suppliment routine.

That, and did he say one drink a week or you're allowed to get drunk once a week? I'm on the latter, "Irish" diet.

Fast food nails me, and yeah, discipline for moderate movement is key, Peeks.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm

There are plenty of studies that show low calorie diets extend life expectancy (in lab animals anyway), so eating less is most likely a good thing. Other than processed garbage, you can eat just about anything, as long as you are active (of course genetic predisposition trumps all).

Had McDonald's for the first time in about a year yesterday. Some snack wrap thing, supposedly grilled chicken. Awful. Ate one, and thought I was going to die. I can't believe that passed for food, let alone a healthy alternative to a Big Mac.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 pm

aoxo1 wrote:

Is that actually healthy, though? There are plenty of unhealthy ways to lose weight.

Anyone who is interested in improving their diet to make it more healthy just needs to take Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Doesn't need to be more complicated than that. (food means real food, not all the pseudo-food that fills grocery stores)
I don't know for sure but my guess is all those things on that menu have chicken instead of ground meat, the rest of the stuff is all veggies and some sort of tortilla or bread, right?

My main point on this is basically, just like sound financial principles, sound nutritional principles really never change. All the diets we've come up with for the past 25-30 years all rely on one sound principle, discipline. As different as many of these approaches are they retain so much similarity it is ridiculous. Moderation and some level of exercise are always two important factors to any approach to losing weight, old or new. The moderation and physical activity are accomplished through the discipline.

My body requires 3700-3800 calories a day according to the ways we evaluate this stuff. That is a lot of calories meaning I need to eat a pretty significant amount of food each day. However it is all up to me and my discipline as to how I go about reaching that requirement.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 pm

FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

I don't know for sure but my guess is all those things on that menu have chicken instead of ground meat, the rest of the stuff is all veggies and some sort of tortilla or bread, right?

My main point on this is basically, just like sound financial principles, sound nutritional principles really never change. All the diets we've come up with for the past 25-30 years all rely on one sound principle, discipline. As different as many of these approaches are they retain so much similarity it is ridiculous. Moderation and some level of exercise are always two important factors to any approach to losing weight, old or new. The moderation and physical activity are accomplished through the discipline.

My body requires 3700-3800 calories a day according to the ways we evaluate this stuff. That is a lot of calories meaning I need to eat a pretty significant amount of food each day. However it is all up to me and my discipline as to how I go about reaching that requirement.

Actually, all the "diets" rely on nonsense.

If you wanna change your way of living, the correct information is out there.

The problem being, like everything else, everyone wants a short cut. Everyone wants it to be easy.

Whenever this topic comes up I advise people to not take advice from someone who is trying to sell you something, look at the methods used by those who have a stake. The methods are wonderfully, and interestingly consistent. An example, the Borowns bring in a young free agent lineman who has a weight issue. They need him to drop 40. They don't give a shit about the kid, they give a shit about what he can do for them, and therefore, gain value. Guaranteed this guys weight loss program consists of; several small meals throughout the day to ward off the sarvation reflex that releases insulin and causes fat storage, he'll be doing interval cardio in order for his heart rate to fluctuate, and he'll be lifting weights with interval workouts to further boost the metabolism. This is how it's done, period. We KNOW this.

Just a matter if you wanna do it or not.

Or, you could listen to fans of Dr. Atkins, (Who died too young and out of shape, incidentally) who will tell you with a straight face that eating 20 sausage links is healthier than an apple.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 am

If you want to change your eating habits, it's a process. It takes two weeks to develop new ways of doing things with regard to your food intake. It takes approximately 40 days to make it a lifestyle change. You have to be smart. Starvation is stupid.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

The problem being, like everything else, everyone wants a short cut. Everyone wants it to be easy.

Whenever this topic comes up I advise people to not take advice from someone who is trying to sell you something, look at the methods used by those who have a stake. The methods are wonderfully, and interestingly consistent. An example, the Borowns bring in a young free agent lineman who has a weight issue. They need him to drop 40. They don't give a shit about the kid, they give a shit about what he can do for them, and therefore, gain value. Guaranteed this guys weight loss program consists of; several small meals throughout the day to ward off the sarvation reflex that releases insulin and causes fat storage, he'll be doing interval cardio in order for his heart rate to fluctuate, and he'll be lifting weights with interval workouts to further boost the metabolism. This is how it's done, period. We KNOW this.

Or, you could listen to fans of Dr. Atkins, (Who died too young and out of shape, incidentally) who will tell you with a straight face that eating 20 sausage links is healthier than an apple.

Straight up Bill Phillips.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 am

JB wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

Straight up Bill Phillips.

No big suprise really, because Phillips is clear; not a diet, a lifestyle change.

The other aspect of Phillips program is the "free day." Totally unrealistic to believe someone is never going to eat a piece of chocolate cake, their favorite pizza or Mexican meal.

Bottom line, it's not what you do SOME of the time, it's what you do MOST of the time.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:22 am

Lead Pipe wrote:No big suprise really, because Phillips is clear; not a diet, a lifestyle change.

The other aspect of Phillips program is the "free day." Totally unrealistic to believe someone is never going to eat a piece of chocolate cake, their favorite pizza or Mexican meal.

Bottom line, it's not what you do SOME of the time, it's what you do MOST of the time.

Yeah....

I incorporate the "free day" concept w/ "beer".

Phillips PG works. Not 90 % of the time. Not 99% of the time. 100%.

It is just bitch to be that good for a hedonistic / "Up in the Air" SOB like myelf. But like you say, it is a lifestyle. & the point you make about the insulin management is kinda what I was alluding to with Peeker. And that's just once facit. It is more than about just eating less/ moving more. Eating and moving are key, but there is nuance. You cut protein trying to manage fat and skip meals, you're spinning your wheels.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am

fundamentals wrote:If you want to change your eating habits, it's a process. It takes two weeks to develop new ways of doing things with regard to your food intake. It takes approximately 40 days to make it a lifestyle change. You have to be smart. Starvation is stupid.

That the time it took you to change focus from pizza to wings? :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 am

Peeker643 wrote:
fundamentals wrote:If you want to change your eating habits, it's a process. It takes two weeks to develop new ways of doing things with regard to your food intake. It takes approximately 40 days to make it a lifestyle change. You have to be smart. Starvation is stupid.

Yes, from a dozen to two dozen and one pie to two as well. :woot:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Peeker643 wrote:

Dude, you gotta keep balance with wo of the 4 bsic foodgroups, and IIRC they are beer, wings, pizza and red meat.

Riiight?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Dude, you gotta keep balance with wo of the 4 bsic foodgroups, and IIRC they are beer, wings, pizza and red meat.

Riiight?

I thought Skoal and bourbon were there but your four are fine....

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Riiight?

You forgot your red neck deer meat?
jb

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Actually, all the "diets" rely on nonsense.

I'm not an Atkins person, but just for everyone's information, Atkins died at 72 after slipping on an icy sidewalk caused bleeding around his brain, sending him into a coma and then death. It also says on wikipedia that he had a heart attack a year earlier (so age 71 I guess?) and was described as a "trim, nice looking 72 year-old" by journalist William Leith.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Riiight?

You forgot your red neck deer meat?

That's red meat but you won't find much leaner meat than that.

Not too mention humping all those hills to hunt it, all those hills to track it and dragging the fokking thing out of the woods ain't a bad way to stay in shape for 4 months out of the year.

So that's what I got so far: deer, skoal, bourbon and beer.

I'm good widit. Still 34-32 like I have been for 20+ years and still right at 190 like I have been for the last 20 years.

Plus this head makes me look even sleeker and more aerodynamically svelte. :dingle:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Not too mention humping all those hills to hunt it, all those hills to track it and dragging the fokking thing out of the woods ain't a bad way to stay in shape for 4 months out of the year.

So that's what I got so far: deer, skoal, bourbon and beer.

I'm good widit. Still 34-32 like I have been for 20+ years and still right at 190 like I have been for the last 20 years.

Plus this head makes me look even sleeker and more aerodynamically svelte. :dingle:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I had kind of the typical tale. Always in great shape, played sports all through HS. Slowly added weight. The 10 lbs the first year of marriage. Another 10 the next 3-4 years as I went from two softball leagues to one softball league to one golf league, to finally justifying golf in an electric cart as exercise. Never thought a thing about it. Never once made a concious effort in my life to lose weight.

Stepped on the scale one day last spring. 225 lbs. A new high. Decided that day I was gonna try and lose weight.

Weighed myself this morning. 190 on the nose. Lost 35 pounds. I was shocked at how easy it was. And I am drinking more than ever.

Here's what I did. Very simple.

~Nutri-grain bar or a banana on the way out the door in the morning.

~I skip lunch about half the time. If I'm fiending, I will grab pretzels (no fat) and a diet pepsi from the vending machine. Maybe some Skittles or Mike & Ikes. If I do go out for lunch, I try and get a salad with some grilled chicken on it, which I love anyway.

~I eat normal dinners. Same as always. Try and mix in more stir frys, chicken dishes ... but generally, we are eating the same types of dinners we always have.

~I drink 5-6 nights a week. But instead of drinking 4-6 beers, I will have 2-3 Christmas Ales or other real strong beers. Try and mix in wine 1-2 nights a week.

~One day a week of sin still. Pizza, fast food, wings, whatever. And god damn do I appreciate it.

~I've cut down on desserts, but still have some kind of dessert 3-4 times a week. I've found that the strawberry fig newtons satisfy my craving and have like no fat.

~No more chips or late night snacking. Nothing is worse when it comes to adding weight. If I do jones, I have some Snyders Hard Pretzels, which have no fat. I love em anyway.

And exercise. I run three miles a night 4 times a week. Used to take me 40 minutes, now I can do it in 24. Sat, Sun, and two weeknights.

Went from 225 to 215 like it was nothing. 215 to 205 pretty easily. Then 205 to 195 was a little harder, but not as hard as I thought it would be. After each 10 pounds, I would give myself a two week break where I wasn't trying to lose weight, but just idle, before going back it. Recently just lost another 5 lbs. Could keep going to 180 if I wanted to, but I think 190 is my ideal playing weight.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Swerb wrote:~No more chips or late night snacking. Nothing is worse when it comes to adding weight. If I do jones, I have some Snyders Hard Pretzels, which have no fat. I love em anyway.

And exercise. I run three miles a night 4 times a week. Used to take me 40 minutes, now I can do it in 24. Sat, Sun, and two weeknights.

All of that stuff is something any regular dude can do too. You look at that compared to other ideas and methods and that is clearly achieveable without serios departure from normal life.

But the biggest thing is the not eating shit after dinner/dessert. And by shit I mean completely empty snack food.
If you eat crap, there are tons of other things you can eat that are better that ain't necessarily hard core.

Apples and peanut butter are better than potato chips and dip for example.

That's a real person's diet up there. SOmeone with kids and 50,000 other responsibilities aside from themselves.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Stay away from MSG or the "organic" version of it, autolyzed yeast extract :nanner:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm

fundamentals wrote:Stay away from MSG or the "organic" version of it, autolyzed yeast extract :nanner:

I don't know, my new favorite winter lunch is a cup of miso soup. That stuff is insanely delicious and warming, while being more filling than just a cup of green tea or hot chocolate. MSG makes it umami.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

jfiling wrote:
fundamentals wrote:Stay away from MSG or the "organic" version of it, autolyzed yeast extract :nanner:

I don't know, my new favorite winter lunch is a cup of miso soup. That stuff is insanely delicious and warming, while being more filling than just a cup of green tea or hot chocolate. MSG makes it umami.

Moderation. For me, that means a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos instead of two. :hide:
MSG makes you crave more of the product. :gah:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

fundamentals wrote:
jfiling wrote:

Moderation. For me, that means a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos instead of two. :hide:

Yep. If you're talking about one Family-Size bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Yep. If you're talking about one Family-Size bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

That's enough of out of you.

I thought davemanddd was going to propose a trade in this trade. Disappointing. :gah:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:34 pm

fundamentals wrote:
jfiling wrote:

No wonder you're a devout Christian, fund.

You're on the express train to the after life.

Try to put in a good word for us.

( You had the buffalo / ranch combo? I cry every time I walk by them and forego their decadent junkness.)
jb

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm

fundamentals wrote:
jfiling wrote:

Yeah, but that's only because MSG is delicious. I've learned to not buy any Doritos so I don't have to worry about overeating them. For something like miso soup, it's easy since I've slowly moved to eating very small meals. Plus, the combination of ingredients (dashi stock, nori, tofu) end up filling on their own.

Put another way, I don't think I'll ever eat a whole can of Progresso soup again, even though I love the stuff. I'm at the point where I can easily follow the recommended serving size and just split the can with my wife. It probably helps that I've fallen into the habit of making a simple salad with every dinner (romaine lettuce tossed in a freshly made dressing of red wine vinegar, mustard, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, and EVOO).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm

JB wrote:
fundamentals wrote:
jfiling wrote:

No wonder you're a devout Christian, fund.

You're on the express train to the after life.

Try to put in a good word for us.

( You had the buffalo / ranch combo? I cry every time I walk by them and forego their decadent junkness.)

I am fat. Self-recognition is the first step toward recovery. :yes:
Jalapeno Popper would be my sleeper pick of Doritos. :pop:

With regard to jfiling's post, again, moderation would be key. If you ever want to make yourself laugh, look at how many "suggested" servings there are in items? :clap:

A small meal for me is about two or three sammiches in one sitting. :dunno:
I almost went Kobayashi the other day watching kids eating corn dogs. :hide:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:00 pm

aoxo1 wrote:

I'm not an Atkins person, but just for everyone's information, Atkins died at 72 after slipping on an icy sidewalk caused bleeding around his brain, sending him into a coma and then death. It also says on wikipedia that he had a heart attack a year earlier (so age 71 I guess?) and was described as a "trim, nice looking 72 year-old" by journalist William Leith.

The last line was tongue and cheek toward Lub, a multi-time Atkins guy, a big fan of the Hardees monster burger......sans bun. Busting balls about the rumours alledgedly started by Vegan groups in regards to DA's demise.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pristie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 am

What diet and exercise changes will i need if im going into a high altitude environment? im going to new zeland for a ten day snow-boarding holiday with my school, and i need to know what diet and exercise changes i will need to make before entering this high altitude environment.
Last edited by pristie on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pristie

Favorite Player: Messi
Least Favorite Player: messi

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 am

pristie wrote:What diet and exercise changes will i need if im going into a high altitude environment? im going to new zeland for a ten day snow-boarding holiday with my school, and i need to know what diet and exercise changes i will need to make before entering this high altitude environment.

What elevation is NZ? There isnt a ton you can do as far as I know. Never looked it up, but I live at 5,700 feet. Drink water, drink water, and drink water and you should be ok. While it is always recommended, I never lay off the alcohol up in the mountains 9,000-12,000 feet here. It will produce a wicked hangover, and that is coming from someone who doesn't get hangovers. Just stay hydrated, always found that to be the most important. Not sure you can do much about being out of breathe. Took me 4-6 months to get used to my altitude to be able to run like I did at sea level.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 am

Ziner wrote:
pristie wrote:What diet and exercise changes will i need if im going into a high altitude environment? im going to new zeland for a ten day snow-boarding holiday with my school, and i need to know what diet and exercise changes i will need to make before entering this high altitude environment.

What elevation is NZ? There isnt a ton you can do as far as I know. Never looked it up, but I live at 5,700 feet. Drink water, drink water, and drink water and you should be ok. While it is always recommended, I never lay off the alcohol up in the mountains 9,000-12,000 feet here. It will produce a wicked hangover, and that is coming from someone who doesn't get hangovers. Just stay hydrated, always found that to be the most important. Not sure you can do much about being out of breathe. Took me 4-6 months to get used to my altitude to be able to run like I did at sea level.

Also, might want to plan on taking a day or two to acclimatize to the altitude, depending on how high the elevation is. I went from flat Ohio to 12,000 feet at the top of Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park in less than 24 hours a couple years ago, and the altitude sickness was brutal. I guess it depends on your predisposition to it, not everyone gets it. But it is best to be prepared.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Also, might want to plan on taking a day or two to acclimatize to the altitude, depending on how high the elevation is. I went from flat Ohio to 12,000 feet at the top of Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park in less than 24 hours a couple years ago, and the altitude sickness was brutal. I guess it depends on your predisposition to it, not everyone gets it. But it is best to be prepared.

Good point, didnt really think about that as it has never affected me. Flew out of Chicago to Denver one night and went up to the top of Copper Mountain by 7 am the next day, never had a problem. But I have certainly heard stories of people not handling it so well. I would at worst recommend taking it easy the first few days.

A quick google search the one ski resort there tops out at 7500 feet. You would most likely be ok at that elevation, I think when you start going up over 10K is where problems start.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:05 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

The last line was tongue and cheek toward Lub, a multi-time Atkins guy, a big fan of the Hardees monster burger......sans bun. Busting balls about the rumours alledgedly started by Vegan groups in regards to DA's demise.

haha.. Touche Pipes. I have seen the light my friend. I like Peeker's motto (Eat less, move more). Doing the running thing like you and Swerb also. Down 40 since Turkey Day. 70 to go :)
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry