Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best opening scenes of all time?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best opening scenes of all time?

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:45 pm

+1 for Ryan. It is the opening scene. FTW.

+1 on Zombieland.

I personally liked the intro/opening credits of Watchmen. I really dig the alternate history. And the song was a great choice.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:08 pm

Not sure if this one was mentioned, classic scene/footage, often gets overlooked. :smile:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:51 pm

I reluctantly agree Bloody Omaha is scene 2 but, the "opening scene" of the flag waving in the breeze, no music for a moment or two then the old man's walk to Ryan's grave would still qualify as a #1 contender. It had me in tears before they ever hit the beach...

In any event, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gladiator so I will

How 'bout Gladiator?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:00 am

Watched this yesterday with my nephews in their theatre room. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

I remember seeing this as a kid at the movies when it was first released. You're reading along with the opening scroll, then the screen turns to the blackness of space. All of a sudden a Rebel runner appears then the entire screen gets taken over by the Imperial star destroyer. Something that has never been seen on screen at that time.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby CharacterIV » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:I personally liked the intro/opening credits of Watchmen. I really dig the alternate history. And the song was a great choice.

Good call, Bill. Loved the Watchmen intro. An excellent compression of the book's backstory.

For another candidate, I'll nominate the film from whence you draw your nomme-de-plume (SIC? My French is pidgin at best): Gangs of New York. I suppose it could trigger a whole new string of "what is the delineation of the end of the scene" arguments, because technically the first scene would just be Priest Vallon talking with young Amsterdam, but I mean the entirety of the prologue, through to Amsterdam as a young adult. An excellently textured scene for me, with enough exposition to get you interested, some great action in the unapologetically savage brawl with Liam Neeson, Brendan Gleeson, John C. Reilly and of course, Daniel Day-Lewis having some great "badass" moments in the process. Vallon's death especially solid. Great dialogue really establishes the warrior culture of the gangs. Not saying it's in the elite like Saving Private Ryan or Raiders of the Lost Ark, but still a solid intro to a film.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 pm

The dairy farm scene in Inglourious Basterds was pretty damn good.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby tastybrownies » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

FUDU wrote:Not sure if this one was mentioned, classic scene/footage, often gets overlooked. :smile:

Oh most definitely, the whole music in that movie is just spot on the whole time.

That beginning part just cues it up, and you know you're in store for someting good.
Matt Underwood - "And the Indians have left a small village on base."
tastybrownies

Favorite Player: Johnny Manziel
Least Favorite Player: Miguel Cabrera

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture