Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Cant Blame Modell for moving Browns

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Cant Blame Modell for moving Browns

Unread postby Lubber » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Very interesting show on ESPN Classic. More and more I am feeling sympathetic for Modell and think other factors were at play. Unfortunately, that has left us with many years of poor performance on the field since the move back
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: Cant Blame Modell for moving Browns

Unread postby Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm

I am only sorry if I find out that fArt Modell isn't spending every second of the last bit of his miserable life in agonizing pain.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:10 pm

You gotta admit though Mitch, hiding this post here was somewhat clever.

Just enough to get the masses riled but not obvious enough trolling to get the insta-lock.

And all the trolls give lubs a golf-clap.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Just shut this down Swerb & Mitch.

Please.

Huge, huge disrespect to any Browns' fan.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Top 5 reasons you can't blame is auctually one of the better programs that ESPN has came out with recently.

I don't really think I'll ever be sympathetic for Modell, never will, ever. Would I be this bitter about it, if say, we were left with a team that didn't completely SUCK? Possibly. But this isn't the case.

Lets look at what this moron did again:

Fired the single most prolific coach in football history, Paul Brown, for refusing to play a man dying from lukemia only two years into his ownership of the team.
If it was about the trade, who the hell was Modell to question it? Brown was a 6% team owner, too.
If it was about not playing Davis, well he died a year after being diagnosed and Modell is a bastard.

Drove arguably the greatest running back of all time, Jim Brown, out of town and into retirement at only 29 years of age
Because he wanted to come late to training camp. Great trade off, Art.

World's largest hypocrite
Brooklyn Dodger fan who "felt saddened and betrayed" when the team left in 1958
Criticized the Raiders move to LA in 1982
Criticized Robert Irsay for moving the Colts in 1984

Lied to a city and stole its team in 1996
Incredibly, claims he was "losing money" owning a NFL franchise in the 1990s in a city with the most loyal fan base in the NFL [1]
VOLUNTARILY PASSED on the Gateway project and then cited his lack of a new stadium as a reason for the move.
Moved during the day not in the middle of the night which eliminates any possibility of it being betrayal
Initially wanted to steal the team history, too, until fans and public pressure from both Cleveland AND Baltimore convinced him to leave it.
Hasn't visited Cleveland since 1996 and won't until after he dies if he knows what's good for him
Will never, ever make it into the Hall of Fame because the drive from Cleveland to Canton is short enough that there's still plenty of gas left in the tank to torch the entire fucking building
Seriously, no way in hell
When asked why he didn't just sell the franchise, claimed he wanted to leave it to his family
Then sold the franchise years later in Baltimore, to someone not in his family

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index ... Art_Modell

Also, may I add that every Steeler fan I've ever met, if a conversation turns to Modell, they'll say in a heartbeat that he was a POS. Even the ones that completely laugh in your face about the fact that you are a Browns fan and bring up the 6 Super Bowl argument every two minutes. To admit that. Speaks volumes to me.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Pretty bad when you can hear Dieken and Coleman in tears doing a broadcast of this game, sounding like a member of their immediate family has died. Oh, but yes, Modell deserves our sympathy. :rolleyes:
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Lubber » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Let's look at it this way,

You own a company and have a family. Your company in your existing town is losing money and you need to get loans just to pay your employees. You have a chance to move your company to another city so that you can feed your family. Secondly, the headquarters of your company (lets call it the City of Cleveland) is shelling out all kinds of money and new buildings to your peers around town (Jacobs Fields, Gund Arena, Science Center, Rock N Roll Hall of Fame).

Not saying I agree with it, but put yourself in the man's shoes, and ask yourself what you would of done?
Lubber

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Lubber wrote: Secondly, the headquarters of your company (lets call it the City of Cleveland) is shelling out all kinds of money and new buildings to your peers around town (Jacobs Fields, Gund Arena, Science Center, Rock N Roll Hall of Fame).

WHO OFFERED TO BUILD A NEW STADIUM IN THE GATEWAY PROJECT.

Triple-S

Unread postby Lubber » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You gotta admit though Mitch, hiding this post here was somewhat clever.

Just enough to get the masses riled but not obvious enough trolling to get the insta-lock.

And all the trolls give lubs a golf-clap.

Hiding? The show was on TV, therefore I post in the TV forum. Not trying to rile any masses, I just found the show interesting and gave my opinion. You are allowed to agree or disagree thereby making this a forum of opinion.
Lubber

Unread postby Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Wrong.

Saying that fArt Modell is anything but a scum sucking asshole on a Cleveland Browns site is nothing but trolling.

JB is right. This thread is locked.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture