Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Favorite Christmas film

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:24 pm

"It's a Wonderful Life" is a lot better now that they restrict the number of showings. For years, it seemed that you could find it at any channel check during the holidays. Still one of my favorites. I am also fond of the classic, "Miracle on 34th Street."

I am partial to "The Santa Clause" and "The Grinch." I would have never imagined that cartoon could have been made into a movie. Jim Carrey was perfect in that film.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:48 pm

The Santa Claus and Home Alone 1 & 2

Look what you did, ya little jerk!
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am

Hate most Christmas movies, but love Bad Santa and Elf.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 am

die hard
dave . . .
davemanddd
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 pm
Location: mansfield, ohio
Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 am

aoxo1 wrote:Hate most Christmas movies, but love Bad Santa and Elf.


Bad Santa is mint.





Thorton in one of his best roles. Just awesome how screwed up this movie was. I was disapointed he that even with him in it, he couldn't make the "Bad News Bear" role work, Because he seems like he would have fit that role of Coach Buttermaker like a glove.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Doc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am

Christmas Vacation in a landslide. Didn't we vote it as one of the top comedies ever?
Doc
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 am

Just rewatched Elf for the first time since it came out ... I forget how funny that flick was. Had me laughing out loud through much of the first hour. Christmas Vacation is a classic as well on the comedy side of the ledger.

Liked The Grinch and the first Home Alone. But me, I prefer the animated Christmas shows. To me, one of my favorite parts of being a parent is being able to relive your youth and rewatch Rudolph, Frosty, and Charlie Brown Christmas.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 am

Elf, hands down no question. I love that movie, one of my favorites, not just Christmas favorites.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 am

Swerb wrote:But me, I prefer the animated Christmas shows. To me, one of my favorite parts of being a parent is being able to relive your youth and rewatch Rudolph, Frosty, and Charlie Brown Christmas.

+1000

I was thinking the exact thing as I started this thread. I love the old classic Christmas cartoons. My favorite moment is in Charlie Brown Christmas when Linus steps onto the stage to tell everyone the true meaning of Christmas. Touching piece of spiritual interlude.

Also, I will always remember my mom always telling us how mom and dad's first Christmas together was on a military base in Arizona and my dad picked out a real "Charlie Brown Christmas tree." My dad never lived that down!

Great memories.

Swerb, I also loved reliving my childhood with my son's toys at Christmas. Man, I got my son a ton of Hot Wheels cars and tracks, and we had track starting on the second floor and ending in the basement. And all of the various "building" toys that we loved. Not just happenstance that my son is now studying Mechanical Engineering, hoping to work in the auto industry!!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 am

davemanddd wrote:die hard


Seconded.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:39 am

I'm partial to Christmas Vacation and Bad Santa.

But remember, the first Lethal Weapon movie also is a Christmas film, and that movie kicked ass.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 am

Gremlins

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRBObAbT0o&feature=related[/youtube]
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am

It's tough to narrow down but I think I have to go with Christmas Vacation.

I do like the Christmas specials a lot, though. If I had to pick one of those it would be Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. It's a shame that less and less people seem to know what that is every year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIG1WuHaW0&feature=related[/youtube]
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Naxos » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 am

I love the specials. I got a real kick out of the new one "Prep and Landing"

As too movies: Christmas Vacation and White Christmas
User avatar
Naxos
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 am
Location: Reading, PA
Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 am

Can't believe A Christmas Story hasn't even been mentioned yet. Blasphemy.


Also, Elf and Bad Santa.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Can't believe A Christmas Story hasn't even been mentioned yet. Blasphemy.


Also, Elf and Bad Santa.


The Holy Trinity for me.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22739
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Naxos » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Can't believe A Christmas Story hasn't even been mentioned yet. Blasphemy.


Also, Elf and Bad Santa.


You are correct, Christmas Story should be on the list as well. I like Bad Santa but I do not think I would put it on a best of list.

Elf on the other hand, I do not understand the facination with it at all.
User avatar
Naxos
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 am
Location: Reading, PA
Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Naxos wrote:Elf on the other hand, I do not understand the facination with it at all.


Do you like Ferrell? How many times have you watched it? If you like Ferrell and you have only watched it once, watch it again. Like alot of his movies they get better each time you watch them. I consider that to be the truth with Old School, Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Elf.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Elf is terrible. Not "funny because it's terrible on purpose", just regular terrible.

Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation
Rudolph the Rednosed Raindeer (I don't want to make toys, I want to be a dentist)
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Ziner wrote:
Naxos wrote:Elf on the other hand, I do not understand the facination with it at all.


Do you like Ferrell? How many times have you watched it? If you like Ferrell and you have only watched it once, watch it again. Like alot of his movies they get better each time you watch them. I consider that to be the truth with Old School, Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Elf.


I thought Anchorman got worse as I saw it more. Now, it's only funny if I watch it once a year or so. If that.

Definitely agree with Rich. Gotta be Rudolph, Frosty, and Charlie.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
davemanddd wrote:die hard


Seconded.

Was waiting for somebody to say this, BS it is not a Christmas movie.

The only way I will ever acknowledge it as so is when Blockbuster has it on it's holiday/Xmas shelf.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm

FUDU wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:
davemanddd wrote:die hard


Seconded.

Was waiting for somebody to say this, BS it is not a Christmas movie.

The only way I will ever acknowledge it as so is when Blockbuster has it on it's holiday/Xmas shelf.


Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.

That doesn't mean that they aren't awesome.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.


How can you say that when the entire movie takes place in and around a hijacked office Christmas party?
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Image
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:59 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.


How can you say that when the entire movie takes place in and around a hijacked office Christmas party?

Love the movie, but it has zip to do with Christmas, take Christmas out of Die Hard and the movie goes 100% unchanged. Hell the movie was even released in July.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 pm

1. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

2. Albert Finney/Christmas Carol
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 pm

1) Christmas Vacation
2) Gremlins
3) Bad Santa
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:49 am

FUDU wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.


How can you say that when the entire movie takes place in and around a hijacked office Christmas party?

Love the movie, but it has zip to do with Christmas, take Christmas out of Die Hard and the movie goes 100% unchanged. Hell the movie was even released in July.


Argyle listening to "Christmas in Hollis" in the limo= Christmas movie
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Cease » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 am

Classics Division
1. Charlie Brown Christmas
2. Holiday Inn
3. It's a Wonderful Life

Comedy Division
1. Lampoon's XMas Vacation
2. Trading Places
3. Scrooged

Not an Elf guy. Something about Will Farrell shouting absurd lines with a dazed look in his eye got old to me during his SNL days. Yearly view limit: 30 mins.
User avatar
Cease
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The View
Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Christmas Story
It's a wonderful life
Attachments
1TP.jpg
Will Ferrell =
1TP.jpg (2.78 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
User avatar
hebner20
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 am

hebner20 wrote:Christmas Story
It's a wonderful life

Amen. It starts and ends with those two for me.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby waborat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:55 am

Toss up between A Christmas story & Christmas Vacation for me...

Favorite scene is definitely when they show the old Higbee's store displays in XMas Story...Damn, does that bring back some magical memories of my childhood...

Favorite kid's special is probably A Year Without Santa Claus...The Miser Bros Rock!!!
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 pm

waborat wrote:Favorite scene is definitely when they show the old Higbee's store displays in XMas Story...Damn, does that bring back some magical memories of my childhood...


You guys are killing me. My grandma used to work at the O'Neils store in downtown Akron. When I was a kid we used to go down there to look at all the window displays. And then we would walk through the store and it was decked out in holiday decorations as well. Eventually we would find our way to the cosmetics department to see grandma.

http://www.virtualakron.com/oneils/index.php?vr=1
http://www.virtualakron.com/oneils/index.php?vr=2

You guys are gonna make me cry!!!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm

No discussion of X-mas movies can be complete without talking about which version of "A Christmas Carol" is your favorite.

Mine, hands down, is the George C. Scott version. The Alastair Sims version has not aged well, the Patrick Stewart Version was crap from day one and the new Zombie-eyed Zemeckis version is something I'm not wasting any time on.

Scott didn't portray Scrooge as just a cranky old guy, he portrayed him as a ruthless prick who ENJOYED being a ruthless prick. Plus, Frank Findlay's Jacob Marley still scares the shit out of me. Great performances all around.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 pm

FUDU wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.


How can you say that when the entire movie takes place in and around a hijacked office Christmas party?

Love the movie, but it has zip to do with Christmas, take Christmas out of Die Hard and the movie goes 100% unchanged. Hell the movie was even released in July.


wrong. the only reason bruce willis even came out to california was to see his estranged wife holly (bonnie bedelia) for christmas. if it takes place at any other time, he's still in new york and you don't have a story. besides that, the only reason why the bad guys even try to rob the nakatomi plaza in the first place is because they knew that security would be lax because everybody else would be at the office christmas party and that the police would be short-staffed as a result too. they took their cue from the tet offensive that was also launched on christmas which took the americans completely by surprise and turned the vietnam war in favor of the communists, so yes christmas certainly is an important part in the movie. 'nuff said.
dave . . .
davemanddd
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 pm
Location: mansfield, ohio
Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:38 am

davemanddd wrote:
FUDU wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:Agreed. Same with Lethal Weapon. The use of Christmas In Hollis/Jingle Bell Rock does not make these Christmas movies. Sure, they are set around Christmas time, but the movies themselves have nothing to do with Christmas.


How can you say that when the entire movie takes place in and around a hijacked office Christmas party?

Love the movie, but it has zip to do with Christmas, take Christmas out of Die Hard and the movie goes 100% unchanged. Hell the movie was even released in July.


wrong. the only reason bruce willis even came out to california was to see his estranged wife holly (bonnie bedelia) for christmas. if it takes place at any other time, he's still in new york and you don't have a story. besides that, the only reason why the bad guys even try to rob the nakatomi plaza in the first place is because they knew that security would be lax because everybody else would be at the office christmas party and that the police would be short-staffed as a result too. they took their cue from the tet offensive that was also launched on christmas which took the americans completely by surprise and turned the vietnam war in favor of the communists, so yes christmas certainly is an important part in the movie. 'nuff said.


Really? Is it a different movie if he is visiting for his kid's birthday? or Easter? or Kwanzaa? or Earth Day?

Every reason you mention (visiting for Christmas, lax security, office Christmas party) is interchangeable with may other reasons that could have accomplished the same thing. They really aren't that important to the story at all.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Really? Is it a different movie if he is visiting for his kid's birthday? or Easter? or Kwanzaa? or Earth Day?


Of course it is. Natakomi Corp. wouldn't have had a party for John and Holly McClane's kid, or Easter, or Kwanzaa (which I'm not sure was even invented in 1988) or Earth Day. The Christmas party was the entire rationale for him being out there (although the real reason was to woo Holly back into the fold.)

Argyle playing "Christmas in Hollis" in his limo... "Now I have a shotgun, Ho Ho Ho"... Officer Powell humming "Let it Snow"... Hans reminding Theo that "Christmas is the time of miracles" when the latter expresses doubt about breaking the last lock... it all adds up.

As for Die Hard's July release, well... Miracle on 34th Street was released in May, and would anyone argue that isn't a Christmas movie?

BTW, the best version of "A Christmas Story" is the George C. Scott version IMO. And since Mitch hasn't mentioned it yet, I'll go ahead and give a shout out to The Ref as an excellent holiday movie.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm

A Christmas Story, without a doubt. (However, I have to watch it alone. Otherwise, I drive others insane as I cannot help but recite EVERY DAMN LINE.)

Love Christmas Vacation also.

FTR - Die Hard : Christmas :: Plains, Trains, & Automobiles : Thanksgiving
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
User avatar
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader
 
Posts: 4835
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Cream Pie Orgy 7
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Pardubice, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Cream Pie Orgy 7


what??? :lmfao:
dave . . .
davemanddd
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 pm
Location: mansfield, ohio
Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:53 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Cream Pie Orgy 7


I don't know, man. I think the writting went down hill after Cream Pie Orgy 5.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 pm

wrong. the only reason bruce willis even came out to california was to see his estranged wife holly (bonnie bedelia) for christmas. if it takes place at any other time, he's still in new york and you don't have a story. besides that, the only reason why the bad guys even try to rob the nakatomi plaza in the first place is because they knew that security would be lax because everybody else would be at the office christmas party and that the police would be short-staffed as a result too. they took their cue from the tet offensive that was also launched on christmas which took the americans completely by surprise and turned the vietnam war in favor of the communists, so yes christmas certainly is an important part in the movie. 'nuff said.
That is absurd. If the story was written for McClain to be in LA for a completely different party the movie would have worked EXACTLY the same. Any reason for a company work party would have produced lax security. New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day...a big merger/takeover. IF, a BIG IF, the setting of the movie was in a city in a region where there would have been snow in the story then I could at least respect your angle but other wise pfft. Let's put it this way, when I saw somebody above say Die Hard it took me a few minutes to remember what holiday was actually involved in the movie...tells you just how vital Xmas was to the story line and overall effect of the film.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 pm

FUDU wrote:
wrong. the only reason bruce willis even came out to california was to see his estranged wife holly (bonnie bedelia) for christmas. if it takes place at any other time, he's still in new york and you don't have a story. besides that, the only reason why the bad guys even try to rob the nakatomi plaza in the first place is because they knew that security would be lax because everybody else would be at the office christmas party and that the police would be short-staffed as a result too. they took their cue from the tet offensive that was also launched on christmas which took the americans completely by surprise and turned the vietnam war in favor of the communists, so yes christmas certainly is an important part in the movie. 'nuff said.
That is absurd. If the story was written for McClain to be in LA for a completely different party the movie would have worked EXACTLY the same. Any reason for a company work party would have produced lax security. New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day...a big merger/takeover. IF, a BIG IF, the setting of the movie was in a city in a region where there would have been snow in the story then I could at least respect your angle but other wise pfft. Let's put it this way, when I saw somebody above say Die Hard it took me a few minutes to remember what holiday was actually involved in the movie...tells you just how vital Xmas was to the story line and overall effect of the film.


This is the best board argument going since Rich nipped the Chris Henry thread in the bud.

Really, that's an indictment of all of us and I'm praying for a tasering of a newborn or for Pacman Jones to be hospitalized for injuries sustained in a strip club robbery that he was going to use to turn his life around to save the day.

We're arguing the lack of any snow in the film as well as referencing the Tet Offensive to categorize Die Hard as a Christmas movie or not.

Despite my deep reservations, I should probably leave the two youngest at home and go drink myself into some holiday alcohol poisoning. My death might be attributed to the holidays too since it's entirely possible there will be a wreath or a Christmas card or someone who bought or received a gift also drinking there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22739
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Who would have thought that we'd NEED a Browns game in December to keep us focused and inline huh.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:
wrong. the only reason bruce willis even came out to california was to see his estranged wife holly (bonnie bedelia) for christmas. if it takes place at any other time, he's still in new york and you don't have a story. besides that, the only reason why the bad guys even try to rob the nakatomi plaza in the first place is because they knew that security would be lax because everybody else would be at the office christmas party and that the police would be short-staffed as a result too. they took their cue from the tet offensive that was also launched on christmas which took the americans completely by surprise and turned the vietnam war in favor of the communists, so yes christmas certainly is an important part in the movie. 'nuff said.
That is absurd. If the story was written for McClain to be in LA for a completely different party the movie would have worked EXACTLY the same. Any reason for a company work party would have produced lax security. New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day...a big merger/takeover. IF, a BIG IF, the setting of the movie was in a city in a region where there would have been snow in the story then I could at least respect your angle but other wise pfft. Let's put it this way, when I saw somebody above say Die Hard it took me a few minutes to remember what holiday was actually involved in the movie...tells you just how vital Xmas was to the story line and overall effect of the film.


This is the best board argument going since Rich nipped the Chris Henry thread in the bud.

Really, that's an indictment of all of us and I'm praying for a tasering of a newborn or for Pacman Jones to be hospitalized for injuries sustained in a strip club robbery that he was going to use to turn his life around to save the day.

We're arguing the lack of any snow in the film as well as referencing the Tet Offensive to categorize Die Hard as a Christmas movie or not.

Despite my deep reservations, I should probably leave the two youngest at home and go drink myself into some holiday alcohol poisoning. My death might be attributed to the holidays too since it's entirely possible there will be a wreath or a Christmas card or someone who bought or received a gift also drinking there.


This is one of the funniest fucking things i've ever read. That last paragraph is solid gold. Holy shit. :lmfao:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 am

Peeker643 wrote:We're arguing the lack of any snow in the film as well as referencing the Tet Offensive to categorize Die Hard as a Christmas movie or not.


There was snow in Die Hard. It was in Ellis's office.

Image

Hans... boobie... Die Hard was a Christmas flick. I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the estimable "dave..." on this one.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Favorite Christmas film

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:55 am

This thread is crying for a poll. My vote? Christmas movie
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries


Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests