Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Maxwell cancelled?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Maxwell cancelled?

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm

If you believe the chatter this morning on Clear Channel rock WMMS/100.7's "Rover's Morning Glory" this morning, the station's afternoon drive program is out.

For now, the WMMS-hosted website for "The Maxwell Show" is still around. Stations generally pull or hide such sites when major changes are in the works.

But in a very open conversation with his listeners, WMMS morning drive leader Shane "Rover" French has made it quite clear that "Maxwell" is gone from the station.

Why?

"We wanted to keep the show." is the mantra being repeated by a voice we assume by the identification is WMMS program director Bo Matthews. (We say "we assume" because it's a long-time tradition for radio shows to fake management on the air.)

If the on air chatter on "RMG" is accurate, again, the station apparently made a contract offer to Maxwell and his crew, which was apparently not accepted.

We caution...that all the above is on-air talk. We'll try to confirm details throughout the day today, but this open talk about the WMMS afternoon drive slot on the station's morning show was too big to ignore...

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Maxwell cancelled?

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 pm

You know, if 'tam/wmms were smart, they could hire Andre Nott to take over the slot and do a sports talk show on there, and it wouldn't be anything against Triv's show as he really doesn't do sports anymore.

Really, I'd prefer to see WMMS transform back into being Rock Station (that leaves Nickleback and Disturbed OFF the playlists, and limit the playing of Metallica songs to only once in a while), but if they're going to keep the Talk format, why not do it on something that would auctually be interesting to a significat audience of people? Instead of hearing stories about how the shows hosts were molested and did drugs, I'd personally rather here a breakdown of the upcoming Cavs game or what the Browns are going to do this offseason and I can gurantee I wouldn't be the only one.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Triple-S wrote:You know, if 'tam/wmms were smart, they could hire Andre Nott to take over the slot and do a sports talk show on there, and it wouldn't be anything against Triv's show as he really doesn't do sports anymore.

Really, I'd prefer to see WMMS transform back into being Rock Station (that leaves Nickleback and Disturbed OFF the playlists, and limit the playing of Metallica songs to only once in a while), but if they're going to keep the Talk format, why not do it on something that would auctually be interesting to a significat audience of people? Instead of hearing stories about how the shows hosts were molested and did drugs, I'd personally rather here a breakdown of the upcoming Cavs game or what the Browns are going to do this offseason and I can gurantee I wouldn't be the only one.

Andre Knot?

You're trying to keep people awake in the morning, correct?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
Triple-S wrote:You know, if 'tam/wmms were smart, they could hire Andre Nott to take over the slot and do a sports talk show on there, and it wouldn't be anything against Triv's show as he really doesn't do sports anymore.

Andre Knot?

You're trying to keep people awake in the morning, correct?

Maxwell's slot is in the afternoon. Hence why I think it could work out pretty well. He'd have very little competition in terms of people wanting to listen to sports talk, as Reghi has gotten pretty stale and again, Triv. doesn't do sports anymore.

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Apparently this is true. Maxwell's web page on 'mms online is down and his slot has been removed under the "Jocks" tab.

So sad...

so long! :salute:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:39 pm

The demographics that WMMS are shooting for won't want 3-4 hours of sports talk, not on that station. The one sports talk station in town can't get ratings as it is. They'll either plug someone in to spin records or they'll bring in a syndicated radio show.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:The demographics that WMMS are shooting for won't want 3-4 hours of sports talk, not on that station. The one sports talk station in town can't get ratings as it is. They'll either plug someone in to spin records or they'll bring in a syndicated radio show.

To paraphrase what Triv. said though, the audience that the Maxwell show HAD, was not exactly making them money. I mean, there major sponsorship was from a Rehab center from what I can recall.

I don't think that it's so much sports talk failing, as it is management not putting the microphone in front of the right people, or not utilizing things like podcasting and the web better.

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Triple-S wrote:To paraphrase what Triv. said though, the audience that the Maxwell show HAD, was not exactly making them money. I mean, there major sponsorship was from a Rehab center from what I can recall.

Triv will also tell you he's a better interviewer than Howard Stern is.

Of course Triv is going to say that, he was head to head w/ him on a daily basis despite the fact they work for the same station. Triv (or any other talk show host) will say anything to keep you listening to their own show. Rating drive the advertisers.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Or they could do something REALLY off the wall and PLAY FRIGGEN MUSIC!!!

Andre Knott? He's intelligent but I'd rather listen to a tractor idling.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm

They should hire Brian and Joe.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:27 am

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:They should hire Brian and Joe.

I don't think mini vans pick up 'MMS, so B&J lose 75% of their audience.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 am

Never a big fan of the show. For the most part I think it sucked. I gave it a good month but was turned off when they had that sidekick (forget his name, that was black) that they would use an a segway into being able to do all sorts of racial schtick. It really pissed me off b/c they were so faux about their high and almighty attitude toward such a sensitive topic, in a city like this.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:51 pm

It would be awesome if they were gone and they played real rock music in the afternoon (Nickelback is not rock, it is suck). That show was as unoriginal as it gets. Now if they could take rover with them, it would be perfect.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:24 pm

jack_tors wrote:It would be awesome if they were gone and they played real rock music in the afternoon (Nickelback is not rock, it is suck). That show was as unoriginal as it gets. Now if they could take rover with them, it would be perfect.

local FM radio is pretty s****y, and WMMS is part of the problem. They offer no alternative to the stations that rehash the same crap music over and over again. If I had a computer that could auctually burn CD's or had money for Sirus/XM I'd have done probably turned off the radio a long time ago.

Triple-S

Unread postby Guest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:09 pm

I flip on WMMS sometimes at work.
Maxwell blows and I'm glad he's gone.
Today they have on the Chocolate Charlie and Dumb Experiment. 2 clowns from Rover's show.
If it's not a downgrade it's pretty damn close.

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 am

Triple-S wrote:
jack_tors wrote:It would be awesome if they were gone and they played real rock music in the afternoon (Nickelback is not rock, it is suck). That show was as unoriginal as it gets. Now if they could take rover with them, it would be perfect.

local FM radio is pretty s****y, and WMMS is part of the problem. They offer no alternative to the stations that rehash the same crap music over and over again. If I had a computer that could auctually burn CD's or had money for Sirus/XM I'd have done probably turned off the radio a long time ago.

Totally agree, the only radio show I listen to with regularity is Lanigan and Malone on 105.7 because I like the guests. They have some great authors on there and I have found 20 plus books I liked because of the show.

5 minutes of Dumb and Chocolate Charlie was easily the worst radio I have ever listened to. Seriously, they have no voice presence and its like listening to a couple of drunken idiots at a bar trying to sound intelligent.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 am

It's really ironic how most DJ's should just shut the hell up.

The forced comedy on these shows rivals the NFL pre-games.

IPOD and Sirius only for me.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture