Text Size

The Rumble Room

Cotto vs Pacquiao

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Cotto vs Pacquiao

Unread postby Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 am

I expect it to be a fight of the year canidate.
I like Cotto in a so called upset.
Too much power and body work.
Pumped.

Re: Cotto vs Pacquiao

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:05 am

Don't get too much better than this. Two of my four or five favorite fighters ever. Both guys with incredible resumes, rabid followings in their home countries, toughness and knockout power. Two of the top pound for pound guys in the sport, meeting in their prime.

Cannot wait for this one tomorrow night.

End of the day, I just can't see anyone beating Manny the way he is fighting right now. I just think he's a different fighter than the one he was when he was fighting at 130. Stepped up and beat a big lightweight in Diaz, up again to beat a big jr welter in Hatton, and then demolished a guy in DeLaHoya that spent the last 5 years fighting at 154/160.

I'm just a big believer in Freddy Roach, and I think the impact he has had on Manny has been amazing. Manny is now refined, calculated, and has maintained brutal KO power (in both hands) while moving up in weight. And improbably, he's kept that signature Manny quickness as he's moved up. Pac Man has the best legs in the sport. The way he can dart in and strike, then pop back out of harms way ... he's like a king cobra, lashing at opponents, then recoiling back to safety.

Cotto is a warrior. Violent body puncher. Very tough. Has won big fights despite bad bad cuts early. However, to me, he hasn't quite looked the same since the Mosley win. Tough to cast shadows about the Cheatarito loss ... but even his last fight, I thought Clottey fought him dead nuts even, maybe even did enough to win.

I think Manny wears him down. 9th rd KO win.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:31 am

Sounds like a wager? $50?
I'm up from Doss and i'll have another 50 from Williams and the non Rampage/Rashad fight.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 pm

FightDr wrote:Sounds like a wager? $50?
I'm up from Doss and i'll have another 50 from Williams and the non Rampage/Rashad fight.

It's a bet. $50.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby stonepm » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Swerb wrote:I'm just a big believer in Freddy Roach, and I think the impact he has had on Manny has been amazing. Manny is now refined, calculated, and has maintained brutal KO power (in both hands) while moving up in weight. And improbably, he's kept that signature Manny quickness as he's moved up. Pac Man has the best legs in the sport. The way he can dart in and strike, then pop back out of harms way ... he's like a king cobra, lashing at opponents, then recoiling back to safety.

Cotto is a warrior. Violent body puncher. Very tough. Has won big fights despite bad bad cuts early. However, to me, he hasn't quite looked the same since the Mosley win. Tough to cast shadows about the Cheatarito loss ... but even his last fight, I thought Clottey fought him dead nuts even, maybe even did enough to win.

I think Manny wears him down. 9th rd KO win.

His KO power has actually gotten BETTER as he's moved up cuz its developed more power in his right hand. And the fact that he has not lost any quickness what-so-ever is truly amazing. Like you said, a real tribute to Freddie Roach. Not to mention the preparation and game planning that ROach brings. I mean he made Hatton look like a fool and that's not easy to do.

And Cotto is another one of my favorites. I actually think he is the reason Mayweather "retired" a few years back. I think he was afraid of him. But the bleeding may hurt him as the fight wears on and Pacquiao counters the body punching real well as he showed in the Hatton fight. Should be a good one for sure!
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Huge Pacman fan here and want him to win and finally put the blemish on Mayweather's record.

That said, I don't like this matchup for him more than anyone out there. Tempo will be key early but I just like Cotto for some reason in this one. Hope I am wrong and even though I like Cotto, I don't think Pretty Boy takes a fight with him afterwards.

I agree with stone, Mayweather has ducked both really, but especially Cotto.

I think Cotto wins with a highlight reel knock-out that Manny leaves himself open to late. Hope I am wrong though.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby stonepm » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:53 pm

noles1 wrote:Huge Pacman fan here and want him to win and finally put the blemish on Mayweather's record.

That said, I don't like this matchup for him more than anyone out there. Tempo will be key early but I just like Cotto for some reason in this one. Hope I am wrong and even though I like Cotto, I don't think Pretty Boy takes a fight with him afterwards.

I agree with stone, Mayweather has ducked both really, but especially Cotto.

I think Cotto wins with a highlight reel knock-out that Manny leaves himself open to late. Hope I am wrong though.

I think Cotto is gonna wear down. I think it is impossible to prepare for how quick Pacquiao is until you are in a ring with him, watch all the film you want but nothing comes close to live action. I can honestly say that I won't be disappointed with whomever wins this.
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:08 pm

2 very likable guys, no doubt about it.
No shit talking or dumb ass tactic.
Class and respect from both fighters.
Cotto fought Mosley and was able to deal with his speed so he'll be ready. I see manny as the one that will wear down from the body attack and pressure of Cotto.
I don't see anyway Pacquiao KOs Cotto, but I can see Cotto knocking out Manny.
Should be a damn entertaining with the fans being the big winners.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:19 am

FightDr wrote:2 very likable guys, no doubt about it.
No shit talking or dumb ass tactic.
Class and respect from both fighters.
Cotto fought Mosley and was able to deal with his speed so he'll be ready. I see manny as the one that will wear down from the body attack and pressure of Cotto.
I don't see anyway Pacquiao KOs Cotto, but I can see Cotto knocking out Manny.
Should be a damn entertaining with the fans being the big winners.

Third fight in a row you've picked Pac Man to lose. Tomorrow night he finally makes you a believer.

No one 147 and below can beat this man right now.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:55 am

Nice try, another line of your famous bullshit:

From my previews:
Vs. Hatton:
Every advantage goes to Pacquiao in this one. Speed, power, and defense being the main things I looked at. That said, I picked Hatton to win. That was until I saw Hatton at the weigh in.

Vs. Oscar:
A lot of people aren't giving Pacquiao a chance because of the weight difference and the power factor. Those observers must be forgetting that Manny is one of the quickest fighters in the world, and one of the slickest boxers. If Manny can handle the power of Oscar early on in the fight and stay away from the jab, he will be there in the end.

I don't believe that Pacquaio will be able to knock out De La Hoya or even hurt him that bad, but he should be able to outwork the older Oscar. Punch output will be another key to the fight. Manny is known for throwing a lot of punches and will need to stay busy in order to pull off the win.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 am

Pac Man makes the Fight Dr a believer. Tonight. 11 PM.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11010

FightDr wrote:I'm on record picking Hatton and I'm not changing my mind.
Should be a slugfest.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10561&hilit=delahoya+pacquiao

FightDr wrote:The fight has potential but Oscar should beat him up.
Height,reach, and power.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Wondered what the hell happened to Daniel Santos ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:40 am

Amazing how calm, cool, collected, and confident Pac Man looks before these big fights. Like the Thunderstruck/Eye of the Tiger combo music he's coming out to ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:46 am

This is why I have so much respect for athletes in individual sports i.e. boxing and tennis.

It's just you and the other guy. Mano y mano. It's on!
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 am

Very good start for Cotto. A close round, but Cotto's round. Cotto looked strong, quick, and sharp. Cotto looks about 7-8 lbs bigger.

This should be a great fight. Don't get much better than this.

10-9 Cotto.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:56 am

What a round! Wow!

Pac Man starts to show the speed, clearly wins an exciting 2nd round that featured several landed hard combinations. Pac Man showing flashes of dominance we saw in rd 2 of the Hatton and Oscar wins.

19-19.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:00 am

Pac Man knockdown. I had Cotto fighting back to win the round though. Great round, great fight, and two amazing fighters.

9-9 round.

28-28.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:04 am

Damn. Another Manny knockdown. So quick, so powerful, so many different angles. Manny baited him, sitting on the ropes, taking Cotto punches for 30-40 seconds ... then just attacked back once he was recharged.

10-8 Manny.

38-36

Big round here. Manny could end it, or Cotto can reassert himself.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:08 am

Very, very impressive performance from Manny. Cotto is in great shape, hitting hard, landing power punches ... and is big and strong. And Manny is taking it all and winning the fight. 2 knockdowns already.

Very, very close round in rd 5. Could go either way. I'll give it to Cotto.

47-46 Manny.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:12 am

Big round for Manny. He's wearing Cotto, the bigger and stronger man, down. Beat him up in rd 6. This one should end in the next round or two. Manny is just the better fighter. The best fighter in the world actually.

10-9 Manny

57-55 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:12 am

Cotto's face is destroyed. Manny has next to no marks on his face.

Finish him Pac Man.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 am

Another big round for Manny. Cotto looks physically and mentally defeated. A matter of when, not if Pac Man finishes him.

10-9 Manny

67-64 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:18 am

So much for Cotto being too big and too strong and being able to wear Pac Man down. Manny is taking Cotto's best punches, and not flinching. And he's wearign Cotto down, who is at least 6-7 lbs heavier in the ring tonight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:19 am

Ass whooping. Closed to getting stopped. Cotto's face looks like someone hit him in the face with an aluminum bat for about 10 minutes.

10-9 Manny

77-73 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 am

They gotta stop this thing, this is crazy.

10-8 Manny

87-81 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Cottos shorts are soaked with his own blood. They gotta stop this thing. Jesus Christ.

Totally F'd up my 9th rd prediction.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:28 am

Swallow your pride Cotto, throw in the towel. Before you're talking like Evander Holyfield.

10-9 Manny

97-90 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 am

Ass whoopin.

10-9 Manny

107-99 Manny

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:35 am

It's over. 12th rd KO.

Absolutely amazing performance. Greatest fighter I've ever seen in my life. Fights the best of the best, slaughters them all, and looks more impressive with each performance. Amazing speed and power. And tonight, he showed the chin. Took a battery of big time power punches from a big time puncher through the first 5-6 rounds.

Bring. On. Floyd.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:06 am

What a performance.
Simply amazing.
He might be unbeatable. From 160 down.

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:17 am

Was out with a broad and she couldn't get over why I was giddy. Calling buddies afterwards and everything.

Swerb hit it all on the head. Just a terrific fight. Manny's chin is legitimate and it goes without saying his angles and power are incredible considering the weight move. I love the guy, he is everything you want a fighter to be. Cannot wait until Pretty Boy now and I hope he ends him.

Big ups to Roach on the fight plan and Manny for the execution. I am still caught up by it. Sugar has him in the teens all-time, I have to agree without the extensive knowledge he has though.

7 divisions. Jesus.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Return to The Rumble Room