Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Need some help from Whiskey drinkers

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Need some help from Whiskey drinkers

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 pm

In the next few weeks I want to get a gift for a client of mine that drinks Crown Royal. I was considering getting him something similar but a step up in quality. Only problem is I don't know the difference between Crown Royal Whiskey and Royal Crown Cola. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Need some help from Whiskey drinkers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:36 pm

hebner20 wrote:In the next few weeks I want to get a gift for a client of mine that drinks Crown Royal. I was considering getting him something similar but a step up in quality. Only problem is I don't know the difference between Crown Royal Whiskey and Royal Crown Cola. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance.

For Canadian whiskey, there is nothing better than Crown Royal. In addition to what you usually see, Crown also makes a Reserve, a Cask 16, and an XR (extra rare)

I would go to a good liquor store and check prices. The Cask 16 is about $60 - if the guy is a Crown drinker, that's what he wants.

Or, you can look at the alternatives. Essentially, you have 3 basic types
US - Bourbon - most commonly known as Tennessee whiskey, usually distilled from corn. Think Jack Daniels. Better bourbons would include (of those I have tried) Knob Creek, Bookers, Basil Hayden's
Canada - mostly called Canadian whiskey, usually distilled from rye grain - Crown is the best here, AFAIK
Scotch - best here are sinlge malts, aged up to 10 to 20 years, various tastes depending on the location and how distilled. An acquired taste but if you start on this road, it's hard to return. Too many small distilleries and options to mention.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm a Wild Turkey man. Their 12 year old is top notch, it easily competes with Crown. I have had Knob Creek and I think it's a fine whiskey, you can get the 1.75 ML, for about $65-$70, depending on where you go. If he's a Crown man, follow Mattvan's advice and get the Cask 16. It's pretty good.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby waborat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:55 am

NEVER have I had anything better than Bookers
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:24 pm

MattVan, CDT and Wabo

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the Cask 16.
:salute: :clap:
hebner20

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm partial to this stuff

If it has to be a Canadian try Segram's VO Gold or Canadian Club 15 or 20.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Never tried the Cask 16 or the XR, but the Special Reserve is very smooth. Noticeable step up from the original, so I can only imagine how good the XR is.

If I drink Bourbon, I go with Maker's Mark. But usually I drink Crown. Seems like matt is all over it though, I couldn't have said it better. :hic:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:26 am

mattvan1 wrote:Or, you can look at the alternatives. Essentially, you have 3 basic types
US - Bourbon - most commonly known as Tennessee whiskey, usually distilled from corn. Think Jack Daniels. Better bourbons would include (of those I have tried) Knob Creek, Bookers, Basil Hayden's

Are you sure JD is bourbon? Are you sure JD is aged in burnt oak barrels? There is a very denotative legal definition of what you are allowed to call "bourbon" whiskey and it includes several specific steps.

You know who knows this shit and broke it down for me? Gnati, who is often on the college bard. We should ask him. I won't tell you how he knows, but his ass knows.

FWIW, I always though JD tried to set T whiskey apart and citied charcoal filtering. I could be wrong.

Any opinions on blendeds like Irish?

Mmmmm. I think I'm having an MM tonite. Sounds like it'll be good. I am a puss who drinks it only on rocks though. No soda though.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

JB wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Or, you can look at the alternatives. Essentially, you have 3 basic types

Are you sure JD is bourbon? Are you sure JD is aged in burnt oak barrels? There is a very denotative legal definition of what you are allowed to call "bourbon" whiskey and it includes several specific steps.

You know who knows this shit and broke it down for me? Gnati, who is often on the college bard. We should ask him. I won't tell you how he knows, but his ass knows.

FWIW, I always though JD tried to set T whiskey apart and citied charcoal filtering. I could be wrong.

Mmmmm. I think I'm having an MM tonite. Sounds like it'll be good. I am a puss who drinks it only on rocks though. No soda though.

A very brief amount of research shows you are right. Jack Daniels is not actually classified as a bourbon. But it's pretty close. I like Maker's Mark (a true bourbon) as well as the specials mentioned above. Not too familaiar with Irish blends - I assume here you refer to Bushmills and Jameson. Don't really like any scotch whisky blends either. I think Chivas and the like are just garbage. Love the single malts, especially the Islays, but typically too pricey for me. Also requires a different, more patient approach to consumption. Nice at the end of the evening sitting by the fire with a cigar, but (unfortunately) I am usually setting my sights more on volume.

For whatever strange reason, I am now going through a high end (though relatively inexpensive) rum phase.
mattvan1

Unread postby Cease » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm

It's my favorite, since watching my Great Uncle Packy bring and kill an entire bottle at my sister's wedding.

A pretty smooth mid-level Irish whiskey. I prefer my whiskies on the rocks, unless it's low-end, and I'll mix in some ginger ale. To Packy!

Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cease » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Mark Twain was right: "There is no such thing as too much good whisky." Others in my stock:

Woodford Reserve. Small batch bourbon. I have an uncle that goes down to KY and picks his own cask to bottle, label, and give as gifts. Great sipping whiskey, great gift.

Buffalo Trace. It's a "Kentucky Straight Buorbon Whiskey" and can peel the tar right off your throat- not for amatuers, and I really have no business drinking it. It's pretty rough.

Jefferson's. A very small batch boubon. Just got this bottle, highly recommended gift from bro-in-law. First glass was niiiiice.

Always interested in recommendations...
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby gnati » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 am

Bourbon, as I was taught after doing the Bourbon Trail and spending waaaaaaaaay to much time in and around Frankfort, KY needs to generally have the following:

Come from Kentucky (not legal requirement, but basically that is where it comes from, NOT Tennessee)

Be aged in NEW white oak barrells (as I was told, they actually take some of the oak barrells that are used in bourbon production and sell them to whiskey distillers in Tennessee for their continued use).

Use Kentucky limestone water in the process.

Contain more than 50% corn mash but not more than 79% corn mash (not rye as alot of whiskey is)

Those are the general rules as I know them....and Woodford is as good as I have had.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Cease wrote:

Buffalo Trace. It's a "Kentucky Straight Buorbon Whiskey" and can peel the tar right off your throat- not for amatuers, and I really have no business drinking it. It's pretty rough.

Buffalo Trace has been my bourbon of choice for the last few months. Its 90 proof, and high quality, but only about $20. It might be a tad harsh, but we're drinking whiskey here. Plus it has a great aftertaste.

Bulliet is also good, affordable bourbon.

If price isn't an issue, I agree with waborat, I've never had any bourbon better then Booker's.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:48 pm

I had the pleasure of taking a shot of Johnnie Walker Blue a few weeks ago. I like whiskey (usually of the Tennessee or Canadian varieties), but not too fond of scotch....anyways I couldn't believe how smooth that stuff went down.

I would never purchase a bottle of the stuff because of the price, but if you ever get an opportunity to sample it, do not pass it up.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 pm

UPDATE:

This week I gave my client the Cask 16 and he was very pleased. He has had it before and was aware that it is a little pricey but very good. If he sips on it a handful of times in front of the fire and thinks about me (and raises his glass in a toast to me) the price paid was well worth it.

Off topic: I saw it on line for as low as $35 in New Jersey or Chicago. damn the price fluctuation was ridiculous. It was as high as $100 in some areas.

Thanks to all that contributed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. (drink responsibly)
hebner20

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Picked up some Woodford's Reserve last week. Not terribly excited about it so far.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 pm

bump.

I need some help fellas. The Crown Royal Cask 16 was a success but i have bought it for my client for several birthday's and Christmases now. I don't think he is tired of getting it as a gift but any thoughts about doing soemthing different? Any new suggestions over the past couple of years?

I guess if no one can give me any other ideas i will just go with the tried and true Thanks in advance.

:salute:
hebner20

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:38 pm

hebner20 wrote:bump.

I need some help fellas. The Crown Royal Cask 16 was a success but i have bought it for my client for several birthday's and Christmases now. I don't think he is tired of getting it as a gift but any thoughts about doing soemthing different? Any new suggestions over the past couple of years?

I guess if no one can give me any other ideas i will just go with the tried and true Thanks in advance.

:salute:

AFAIK, Cask 16 is pretty much the upper limit for Canadian whiskey, so you have two paths - either American whiskey and bourbons, or Scottish whiskey (Scotch). Either path will yield a steady supply of gifts for the forseeable future.

I would start here

mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Macallan sucks.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:37 am

Scotch sucks.

It's for old guys who smoke a pipe and wear Stetson cologne.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Scotch sucks.

It's for old guys who smoke a pipe and wear Stetson cologne.

What's wrong with the earthly aromas of Stetson? Smells distinguished.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Scotch sucks.

No. It's just an acquired taste. As are you and e0 :hide:
mattvan1

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:47 pm

As someone who drinks only bourbon, I'd recommend Prichard's.

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/p ... f1209_1519
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Acriumpa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 am

hebner20 wrote:In the next few weeks I want to get a gift for a client of mine that drinks Crown Royal. I was considering getting him something similar but a step up in quality. Only problem is I don't know the difference between Crown Royal Whiskey and Royal Crown Cola. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance.

I love southern comfort or seagrams.
Acriumpa

Favorite Player: Colt McCoy
Least Favorite Player: Shawn Lauvao

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:01 am

Acriumpa wrote:

Yeah Heb, and if you can't find Seagrams, Black Velvet is sure to impress the hell out of a client.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby hebner20 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Acriumpa wrote:

Hey Acriumpa,

Welcome to TCF. Your posts are very insightful and compelling. I will have to check into that Seagrams of which you speak. I hope i can find it. Is it readily available in most metro areas like Atlanta? Can you suggest a reputable retailer that might have it? Thanks for the info.

I already got the Crown Royal Cask 16 again but maybe next year he will like the change of pace to Seagrams.
hebner20

Re: Need some help from Whiskey drinkersI

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:22 pm

I always thought that Scotch was for pretentious D-Bags, until I went to Scotland and did a couple of distillery tours. Once you learn about the flavors and learn how to pull them out, then you can find the right Scotch for the right occasions.

I like the Peat of Islay single malts in the evening straight up by the fire.
I enjoy the Speysides on the rocks when entertaining because they are more similar to your American whiskeys (it also much less expensive than my Islays). The lack of Peat smoke allows other flavors, like nuts, florals and fruits to shine through. These are your Glenlivets, Glenfiddich and Macallan. Aberlour (a'bunadh) is my favorite.
The Highland Malts seem to be dryer and smokey, but they are pretty diverse.

My recommendations for anyone trying some of these for the first time, interested in sampling whiskeys that epitomize the regions (IMO):
Island: Jura (inexpensive and very "Islay," peaty and smokey) I don't love Jura, but it is the Scotch that I think most extreme version of an Islay and it is pretty cheap (maybe $50.00 for the 16 year). My personal favorite of this group is Laguvlin 16, you can get it for about $75.00 a bottle.
Speyside: Aberlour a'bunadh is my favorite and it is reasonably priced at 50-60 a bottle. It is cask strength (120 proof), but it is absolutely excellent on the rocks or with just a little water.
Highland: Oban 14. It is pretty inexpensive at about $50.00 and has a very rich array of flavors.

The problem with scotch is that most of us try it for the first time as Johnny Walker Red (or some other swill like Dewars) in a rocks glass. Even the common singles, like Glenlivet or Glenfiddich etc., are not that great in their 12 year varieties. I don't drink blended often, I have had JW Blue and it is very good, but for the price I prefer other options like Glenlivet XXV.

Hope this helps anyone interested sampling some Scotch. Some say that it is an acquired taste, and I can see that, but not because it is a bad taste, it is because Scotch is as diverse as wine and you may need to acquire the right bottle that matches your tastes. If you are interested in some recommendations, shoot me a PM as I don't hang in this forum often.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks for the input guys. I was not sure if my client was a scotch drinker(he isn't) and I didn't want to drop $150+ on MacAllan 18 year old scotch if he wasn't a fan. I don't want him acquiring the taste for $150 scotch on my dime. He is a great client but him and I can't afford dropping $150 on a good bottle. I also don't want to cause "pallate creep" where all he will like is the very good stuff. I stayed with the Cask 16 and he was very happy about it.

Thanks again. It is great to have a place to go if I need good advice about something i know nothing about. The good old anonymous internet - got to love it.

:cheers:
hebner20

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 am

Right on. Because if you can't trust everything you read on the interwebs then i don't know what you can trust.

Glad it worked out well, even if I would have gone with the Southern Comfort.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry