Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Columbus Financial Woes

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Columbus Financial Woes

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Hate to see stories like this but damn does Columbus have some financial problems right now. What a terrible freaking lease agreement. I hope something can be worked out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-bluejackets-future&prov=ap&type=lgns
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Columbus Financial Woes

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Columbus may have trouble holding on to the NHL’s Blue Jackets because the club has been losing $12 million a year in central Ohio, according to a report released Thursday by a business group.

From my understanding, the CBJ have lost 2 mill a year for the past 6 years for a total of 12 mill, not 12 mill a season.

The team’s owners unsuccessfully asked that the current state budget include a tax increase on beer, wine, liquor and cigarettes in Franklin County to raise $65 million to underwrite a county takeover of the arena.

This part of the story isn't over. I suspect it has no worse than a 50-50 shot to make it in the 2010 budget, depending on the outcome of this year's season and revenue from increased ticket sales.

And yeah, the lease agreement is shit, but that's what you get when the public doesn't want to help out. I'm 100% for the increase in "vice tax", and I say that as a smoker and drinker, I love my CBJ and i'll be crushed if they leave.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to The Neutral Zone