Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Most Overplayed Songs on the Radio, in Movies, etc..

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Most Overplayed Songs on the Radio, in Movies, etc..

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 am

We have had threads for favorite songs, albums, and songs that representent a generation so I figured I would start one about songs people feel are most overplayed. Mind you this isnt just for bad annoying songs but all songs that are heard so much they drive you crazy. I will kick it off with the following:

Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison :Good song but heard damn nearl hourly

Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana: See above

How You Remind Me- Nickelback: Not a good song, not a good band but its ALWAYS on the radio.. He never made it as a wise man and he never made it as a singer either..
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Most Overplayed Songs on the Radio, in Movies, etc..

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm

"She wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts...."

taylor swift is annoying like a secular Debbie Boone.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 pm

With XM/Sirius radio, MP3 players and CD's (I actually rarely play CD's either) i rarely listen to regular FM radio. Thank God for the aforementioned because the music i like is not being made anymore for the most part. I love classic rock but FM radio plays the hits over and over and over again so I totally understand the thread. IT'S ALL OVERPLAYED!!!

I am turning into my old man. Wolf man eyebrows, hairy ears and all... :gah: :thud:
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby municipalmutt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm about sick of anything by Boston. They were good in their day but I'm sick of hearing them on every classic rock station. Which of course is not classic rock at all but classic top forty.

So many good bands from that time period get dick for radio play and many big bands that get played had much better material that goes unheard.
municipalmutt

Unread postby Cease » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Are we done with that "Gladiator Song-Theme-Thing" yet? Have played it before tip off for seemingly 10 years now. And, it's been in a rash of commercials.

While we're at it- Hang On Sloopy O-H-I-O at non-Buckeye events is the new Y-M-C-A. It's got it's context- in Columbus and with Buckeye students / alums. All well and good. Can't we leave it at that?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 pm

everytime i turn on the radio and flip through the stations it's flat out guranteed that one of these two songs will be played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZfJ5ai07U

I at firsth thought the song was okay, it sounded very 1995/6 frat boy rockish, which I really don't mind as a music genre. But it got beaten into the ground by being played...on....every....single...radio...station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

How the hell is this a popular song? Kill me now.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

Cease wrote:While we're at it- Hang On Sloopy O-H-I-O at non-Buckeye events is the new Y-M-C-A. It's got it's context- in Columbus and with Buckeye students / alums. All well and good. Can't we leave it at that?

Couldn't agree more. It's so sad they have to beg off our tradition to rouse the fans at Browns and Indians games. And I hear they flash the scUM "M" at Cavs games. Sloopy and O-H-I-O are a Buckeye thing.

But then again, maybe hearing Sloopy is the only bright spot while watching those teams suck.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 am

Re: Boston....

I'm sick of anything played on any classic rock station.

I am also sick of that R & B and hip-hop hybrid song, you know, the one with the male rapper and female R & B singer?

Yeah. It's all the same freaking song since about 2003. Even Jay Z.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cease » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:46 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Cease wrote:While we're at it- Hang On Sloopy O-H-I-O at non-Buckeye events is the new Y-M-C-A. It's got it's context- in Columbus and with Buckeye students / alums. All well and good. Can't we leave it at that?

Couldn't agree more. It's so sad they have to beg off our tradition to rouse the fans at Browns and Indians games. And I hear they flash the scUM "M" at Cavs games. Sloopy and O-H-I-O are a Buckeye thing.

But then again, maybe hearing Sloopy is the only bright spot while watching those teams suck.

I'm sensing that this agreement is a little tounge in cheek, as CDT is very good at disguising his smack in sarcasm (believe me CDT, that's a complement). But, I'll take it as writen and I agree that flashing the UM letters or the Stiller helmet, or playing off Sloopy symbolizes a missed opportunity by Cavs marketing to build a uniquely "Cavs" experience. IMO, it hurts the Cavs brand.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 am

Sweet Caroline -Neil Diamond

Was sick of it when they "sang" it in Beautiful Girls.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Cease wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I'm sensing that this agreement is a little tounge in cheek, as CDT is very good at disguising his smack in sarcasm (believe me CDT, that's a complement). But, I'll take it as writen and I agree that flashing the UM letters or the Stiller helmet, or playing off Sloopy symbolizes a missed opportunity by Cavs marketing to build a uniquely "Cavs" experience. IMO, it hurts the Cavs brand.

I'm serious (as serious as I can be over a obviously trivial thing), Cease. Sloopy is a Buckeye thing, it's been our thing since 1965. Like you said, they've missed the chance to make their own experience. What it tells me is the Marketing Departments for these teams have been lazy and uncreative.

What's next, playing Carmen Ohio after victories?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture