Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Jeff Dunham-Don't understand the hype

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Jeff Dunham-Don't understand the hype

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:31 pm

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/23/je ... tral/31380

I really don't get it, I think the jokes come off as ten years too late and just stale overall. Oooh wow a dead terrorist joke, so edgy and hip. And isn't Ventrilquism like an "Ancient" art form almost as old as Black and White television and hula hoops?

More power to the guy for making money off of mediocre comedy, hell if I could find a way to do that I'd be doing it too, but I don't understand how someone like this guy and Carlos Mencia can a get a show handed to them in a heartbeat, but people like Mike Polk who are a million times more funny get ignored.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Jeff Dunham-Don't understand the hype

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 pm

I was thinking the same damn thing today when I saw a comercial for his new show. I catch his act on comedy central occasionally and he just isn't that damn funny. I guess the hilarity of the jokes must be multiplied by a factor of 10 because of the whole ventriliquist thing. I don't really get it either.

Ventriliquism only goes so far. Eventually I'd think you have to be funny as well (although I guess he's proving me wrong on that). He's like a fat guy who's entire act revolves around him being fat and going to the buffet. Or Dat Phan who (as far as I can tell) has spent the last 1/2 decade doing an impersonation of his parents. Or Jeff Foxworthy still doing his fucking "you might be a redneck" jokes.

I'd rather watch the same Louis CK special for the 100th time than most of these guys.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Doc » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:42 am

Ditto. Puppets don't do it for me. I respect his "talent", but I don't really consider it comedy. He's someone I'd expect to be running shows strictly out of Vegas. This show will go over like 95% of all comedian-turned-tv show actor. I'll guess this will be as terrible as Frank TV, or just about any other similar Comedy Central show like Demetri Martin, et al.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:11 pm

+1000000 for this thread.

He gets his own show. The world officially sucks. Anyone who likes him should go to jail.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Puppets can be funny, if done right. It's rare, but it can be done.

Dunham's whole act though is just terrible. It's like a terrible combination of the unfunny bits of the "Blue collar comedy" guys and Carlos Mencia, and occasionally it just comes off as racist. It just boggles the mind that something like this gets popular. Really, a ventriquilist? I mean there's TONS of guys on youtube you could probably look up right now and they'd be more funny than this guy, and you're going to give him a show? AND people watch it?! And it get's the highest ratings in the channel;s history over South Park, Chappelles Show, etc? REALLY?!
It just reminds me of the one quote by cartman during the episode of south park where they make fun of High School Musical

Cartman: Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that this show went up against THE OFFICE, and got 5 milllion viewers. This means that there was 5 million people who chose not to watch probably the best comedy on network television over some dude making unfunny jokes with puppets.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:31 pm

About the only nice thing I can say about him is he's funnier than Dane Cook.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

From Family Guy:

Let's remember our performance hierarchy: legitimate theatre, musical theatre, stand-up, ventriloquism, magic, mime.

I'd probably put magic ahead of ventriloquism. No idea how he got a show. Almost as bad as when Carlos Mencia got a show and was supposed to be the latin Dave Chappelle.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture