Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Your generation's anthem

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Your generation's anthem

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:54 am

Erie Warrior wrote:I'm 29, and the Seattle rock scene was it for me. I was in Jr High when it started, but I still consider that the monumental music time for me. Considering what has come since then, excluding a short resurgence of rock in the early 2000's, I'd still go with PJ/AIC/Nirvana as generational anthem music for me.

This.

I think the big question is which generation those of us with birthday, say, 1979-81 should fall. We're basically on the border of Gen X and Y, and while it was pretty clear that Nirvana was the anthem at the time I can't say for certain it was "our" generation's anthem.

(BTW, I think if you were going across all music, you can't ignore Nuthin But a G Thang.)

So right, after grunge fades and the big guys in rap die, and the Roarin 90s (like, as they say, other boom times) means that music is purely cash-flow entertainment...it seems that the iconic anthem for the late 90s-early 00s has to be the one that takes what worked in the early part of the decade and then commercializes it to the extreme. It doesn't hurt to toss in a little bit of celebreality, on the eve of the "Reality" Decade.

So it surprises me that nobody has yet suggested: The Real Slim Shady.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 am

I'm 41 and grew up listening to all types of music. To try and pick one specific song to define a generation is tough. It all depends on where you were at culturally, financially, etc

If I'm from the inner city in the late 80's and feel like I'm being held back, there's no doubt Fight the Power or My Philosophy by BDP speaks to me.

I'm living the good life, not a care in the world, knocking off a different piece nightly then I'm down w/ Posion -Nothing but a good time or a Bon Jovi song.

I'm an outsider and drawn to the underground then I'm looking at hardcore bands to tell my story. Circle Jerks -World up my ass or Black Flag - Rise above, White Minority, My War among others

I agree w/ SLTS. I remember where I was the first time I heard that song and getting hooked right in.

Big AIC fan but Soundgardens Badmotorfinger was the shit

No mention of Celebration by Kool and the Gang?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:11 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think it's worth a chuckle that JB is trying to be hip and suggest SLTS. We all know he's like a million years old.

This is his generation's anthem.

JB always tells me in PMs that the seminal album of his generation was Bryan Adams- Waking up the Neighbors. The Robin Hood theme still reaches him. :hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 am

Jumbo wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:I'm 29, and the Seattle rock scene was it for me. I was in Jr High when it started, but I still consider that the monumental music time for me. Considering what has come since then, excluding a short resurgence of rock in the early 2000's, I'd still go with PJ/AIC/Nirvana as generational anthem music for me.

This.

I think the big question is which generation those of us with birthday, say, 1979-81 should fall. We're basically on the border of Gen X and Y, and while it was pretty clear that Nirvana was the anthem at the time I can't say for certain it was "our" generation's anthem.

If you were born in 81 than you were 10 when SLTS dropped. I was 9 and growing up in a very rural area when it was released, and (I can only speak for myself) I wasn't self-aware enough yet to relate to what the scene was about at the time. Didn't have much to rebel against and didn't need anything to rally behind when I was 9, me and Mac were just collecting Tranformers and waiting patiently for the TMNT movie to hit the screen.

I guess it is up to the individual though, music hits different people differently.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think it's worth a chuckle that JB is trying to be hip and suggest SLTS. We all know he's like a million years old.

This is his generation's anthem.

Nahh, too recent.

Medievil minstrals doing Greensleves. That's the ticket.

BTW - This thread is about generational anthems, not personal tastes, likes / dislikes of music. Y'all do enough of that. Thininkg about this more, NFW is AIC generational anthem worthy. Good grundge band, others may think it great. But not Nirvana / PJ level as far as influence, and isn't that what we'retalking about? Iconic influence of a single song? I think Sonic Youth did some amazing shit in the day when CDT was a sperm cell. Doesn't mean they had the gen anthem.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:20 am

Jumbo wrote:

This.

I think the big question is which generation those of us with birthday, say, 1979-81 should fall. We're basically on the border of Gen X and Y,

Nahh, yer not Gen X. To be gen X you had to come to consciousness in the 1980's / early 90's. 10 years old ain't conscious.

Good take on M & M for your gen.
jb

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Jumbo wrote:So it surprises me that nobody has yet suggested: The Real Slim Shady.

This.

SLTS is obviously Gen X, anyone trying to argue that other acts were better is missing the point. No one was as big as Nirvana, and their biggest hit and first hit was SLTS. Same with Eminem half a decade or so later.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:So it surprises me that nobody has yet suggested: The Real Slim Shady.

This.

SLTS is obviously Gen X, anyone trying to argue that other acts were better is missing the point. No one was as big as Nirvana, and their biggest hit and first hit was SLTS. Same with Eminem half a decade or so later.

?

Why The Real SS and not the first SS ?
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Seriously, what JB said.

One of the biggest Em honks in the world, and the Marshall Mathers LP is my shiz, but The Real SS was meh.

Only his second radio hit and just about the same if not less quality as the first.

Wanna grab his most epic song from the LP in terms of popularity and quality go w/ Lose Yourself.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

JB wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

This.

?

My bad. You are right. First single was "My Name Is". TRSS was on MM.

I guess argument could go either way. TRSS is more of a generational defining anthem.
aoxo1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:28 pm

"Generational anthem?" Negro please. Leave that naval-gazing BS to the Boomers.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:31 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:"Generational anthem?" Negro please. Leave that naval-gazing BS to the Boomers.

:lmfao:

Great point.

End of thread.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:52 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote: Another song that I think many would consider for this, and I will get attacked for this (but just hear me out) Pour Some Sugar On Me. Yeah it is got a bit of that big hair band feel, but IMO only b/c of the era it came out, Def Leppard however was not really a big hair band (at least far from the typical one), couldn't be with their roots in Britain and starting out in the seventies. It legitimately rocks way more than most big hair rock and is not on the same level of cheesiness.

For me personally it was a bit early in my years to garner my vote for an anthem, 87 I was 17, too dumb to know much of anything.

OMG. Dude, you are most respected when it comes to a bunch of stuff, but the NBA Playoffs are not about match ups and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" as the anthem song that represents your generation are 2 of the greatest, most significantly fucked up takes I can remember from a regular. And I mean that in a very lighthearted, most respectful manner. :hide:

matt you seem to be reading too much into stuff or not reading what I am saying. I am not saying it should be, saying it would probably be considered as such by a lot of people in their mid to late 30's. I'd bet more people in that demo would vote for PSSoM than SLTS. That is why I suggested there are very fine lines to this. A friend of mine who is 34 would say Teen Spirit, another friend 38 would say Sugar.

..and M&M, puhlease. M&M to most of gen X is listenable and entertaining but now way in hell that enough people really connect with it enough to be an anthem (not sure if anybody really suggested that, I got the impression somebody did).

I just feel like we are missing a rather obvious hoice for some reason.

Agreed on the Born to Run call as well for the previous generation, gen W?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:30 pm

FUDU wrote:..and M&M, puhlease. M&M to most of gen X is listenable and entertaining but now way in hell that enough people really connect with it enough to be an anthem (not sure if anybody really suggested that, I got the impression somebody did).

If you can find out what it is, it would be much appreciated. I've been thinking about it for the past day and a half and I can't come up with anything.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 pm

FUDU you are too out of touch to understand Gen Y, keep to your own rapidly crustifying types....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:FUDU you are too out of touch to understand Gen Y

I know I have a job

M&M for gen Y, completely agree, fits like a glove.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Not an anthem per se, but a fun song. The video always creeped me out.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 pm

::doh::

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:10 pm

lol. Bad choice?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. Bad choice?

If I were Swerb I'd ban your ass.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 pm

FUDU wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. Bad choice?

If I were Swerb I'd ban your ass.

Hah!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:42 pm

JB wrote:
Orenthal wrote:
JB wrote:
Orenthal wrote:Pantera was pretty huge... How about Walk as our anthem! I'd say it was a combo of grunge and Pantera that killed 80's glam rock!

A generational snthem has to be iconic. Id est more that 6 people have to have dug it.

At least double that, and btw the album after Vulgar went to #1... Rush plays it as part of his bumper music, or is that Revolution is My Name... <-grasping

I've never lsitened to 5 minutes of Rush since 1992, so maybe I am wrong.

I know the tankers lover Pantera while wasting Hajjies, so maybe it's the post- 2000 generations anthem.

i admit ignorance, and all music is subjective.

But NFW it it Gen X's anthem. That much I am sure.

Peace out cat.

Am I a Gen-Xer? I don't feell like one, seems b4 my age. Though I really have no idea...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

This.

If you were born in 81 than you were 10 when SLTS dropped. I was 9 and growing up in a very rural area when it was released, and (I can only speak for myself) I wasn't self-aware enough yet to relate to what the scene was about at the time. Didn't have much to rebel against and didn't need anything to rally behind when I was 9, me and Mac were just collecting Tranformers and waiting patiently for the TMNT movie to hit the screen.

I guess it is up to the individual though, music hits different people differently.

TMNT, GI JOE, and Transformers no doubt. Just wasn't caring about SLTS, not a Gen X'er, and with little to chose from. Although Onyx is heavyweight and still undisputed... SLAM!
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 pm

damn, forget about Eminem

I'd secound that, always figured he was more of a "guilty pleasure", but he's really clevor and very relevant in his lyrics. Only downside to him was the wigger army that he produced after that.

But, overall I'm all for him being the guy whom made the Anthem for Gen. Y.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Orenthal wrote:. Although Onyx is heavyweight and still undisputed... SLAM!

Word.

Only thing better than Onyx, is Onyx and Biohazard.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Orenthal wrote:. Although Onyx is heavyweight and still undisputed... SLAM!

Word.

Judgement Night: Skip the movie, buy the soundtrack.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 pm

JB wrote:Nahh, yer not Gen X. To be gen X you had to come to consciousness in the 1980's / early 90's. 10 years old ain't conscious.

Maybe. I'd note there seems to be some disagreement as to the exact point of division: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X. Some say "late 70s," one says 1981.

More to the relevant point, the ripple effects on the culture by Nirvana etc. lasted for several years, and so there was at least awareness of what was going on. But I will agree, in terms of cultural impact for our age-range: Nintendo @ 7 years old > Nirvana @ 11 years old.

JB:

e0y2e3
Seriously, what JB said.

One of the biggest Em honks in the world, and the Marshall Mathers LP is my shiz, but The Real SS was meh.

Only his second radio hit and just about the same if not less quality as the first.

Wanna grab his most epic song from the LP in terms of popularity and quality go w/ Lose Yourself.

..and M&M, puhlease. M&M to most of gen X is listenable and entertaining but now way in hell that enough people really connect with it enough to be an anthem (not sure if anybody really suggested that, I got the impression somebody did).

Two things. First, is Eminem vs. anybody else. Obviously, you've got to define what it means to be iconic: it's either somebody who is revolutionary and is such a game-changer that everybody follows in his wake, or is somebody who best represents what the culture is putting out at that time. I think that just the fact that it's so hard to come up with anybody shows that there is nobody revolutionary. So, who best represents what pop music was in that era? Can't think of anybody but Eminem...I tried to think of alternatives, and honestly the best alternative is Dave Matthews Band representing post-alternative college rock.

Second issue is which M&M song. They'd be pretty much interchangeable, but when I thought of him TRSS was the first song I thought of. So that's how I picked it. (I also think it was the most famous/highest on the charts/whatever, although Lose Yourself might have been more famous because of the movie.) And it had the memorable MTV Video Awards opening. No more thought than that.

Last thing: moving forward, who would be most iconic 2003-present? I think there's no question: Beyonce. (And Kanye didn't even need to put in his two cents.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote: If you were born in 81 than you were 10 when SLTS dropped. I was 9 and growing up in a very rural area when it was released, and (I can only speak for myself) I wasn't self-aware enough yet to relate to what the scene was about at the time.

I wasn't waiting in line at Sam Goody to buy it the day it was released, but certainly 12-13 years old isn't too young to remember awesome music. Mine was attached to the muff I was chasing at the time, so it may be the girl as much as the music, but I would still consider it my anthem music.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Mine was attached to the muff I was chasing at the time, so it may be the girl as much as the music, but I would still consider it my anthem music.

All of a sudden it clicked for me. Gen Y, you're welcome....

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Mine was attached to the muff I was chasing at the time, so it may be the girl as much as the music, but I would still consider it my anthem music.

Asshole.

LFO is the worst act of all time. No joke.
aoxo1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 pm

lol. FATALITY! Bayou wins.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:

Wow... Ouch! :thumbdown:
Orenthal

Unread postby Doc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm 26 and SLTS was a bit early for me. I've been racking my brain for a couple days, and this is the only song I can come up with.

I don't know if it's an anthem, but I think Green Day really helped set off mainstream radio rock for the mid 90s on. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Bayou aren't you Gen Y as well or are you bending the starting age to try and suck on the Nirvana tit?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Bayou aren't you Gen Y as well or are you bending the starting age to try and suck on the Nirvana tit?

Sadly, I fall into the songless generation (gen y). I remember when SLTS was released, but I was just a pre-teen trying to find something to dry hump. It held little to no meaning to me, but it rocked. I'd love to claim it as my anthem, but to no avail.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby mistero » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am

SLTS was just a bit "new" for me.

I would say something more like Add it Up or Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes. Maybe Melt with You by Modern English.

99 Red Baloons by Nena?

Big Country in a Big Country from the album Big Country?

Come On Eileen from Dexter Midnight Runners?

867 5309 Jenny ,Tommy TuTone...

Maybe the best pick of the mid eighties crew would be "Don't you forget about me" Simple Minds from the Breakfast Club.
It's something we all can relate to... the jock, the princess, the basket case...
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:56 am

"Purple Haze"

Now you tell me how old I am...: )
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Spin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 am

Class of 84, and we had two. And I didn't like either, both groups had much better material on their albums. Yes I said albums, you young fux will have to look that up.

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 am

Word.

Doubted by memory, confirmed by video.

That is incorrect.

Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 am

Class of 84, and we had two. And I didn't like either, both groups had much better material on their albums. Yes I said albums, you young fux will have to look that up.

Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:22 pm

For you youngers: Theme song from CSI:Las Vegas

For the old farts: Teenage Wasteland/The Who
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 pm

dem425 wrote:For you youngers: Theme song from CSI:Las Vegas

For the old farts: Teenage Wasteland/The Who

Baba O'Riley

Won't get fooled again is a pretty damn good anthem also from Who's Next.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:15 pm

I have a nominee for Gen. Y, though this one's a bit personal.

My 2nd/3rd Tribe game I ever went to (against the Twins, I wanna see) when I was about 8, this was played over the loudspeakers in between Innings. Everytime I hear this song I think of going to that game with my dad and seeing Thome, Lofton, Alomar, and crew kicking ass.

Cheesey? Perhaps, but it'll always mean something to me personally.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

I got sick of that song. But I haven't heard it in a LOOONG time until your post, SSS. Kinda catchy.

aaaand after one listen, I'm done for another 10 years.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture