Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Your generation's anthem

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Your generation's anthem

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:28 pm

It can be kind of tough to define the lines of generations, but what would you consider your generation's anthem?

Might want to list your age to help with defining the generational lines.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Your generation's anthem

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am

Smells like teen spirit

Biggest game changer in rock music history.

Kurt screaming "the denial" at the end. Recognize.

Or maybe Straight Outta Compton

Not the first gangsta rap, but the most in your face. Brought what the urban US had become to the masses and coincided with the So Central riots and the genre of So Central flicks that came out one after another .

From a standpoint that Gen X nad to bear the brunt of the reactionary bay-boo social remorse (as in, we had our fun, now we're old so fuck you ) , maybe Fight for your right to Party is appropriate.

I am the same age as Kurt woulda been.
Last edited by jb on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Smells Like Teen Spirit deserves some discussion but I disagree that it is a no brainer by any means.

IMO the vast majority of a generation would need to relate to said anthem, not sure that is the case with SLTS. It definitely has an impact on music but just how much, not sure.

FUDU

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm 23 and I'd say

Parklife by Blur
or
Wonderwall by Oasis
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:I'm 23 and I'd say

Parklife by Blur
or
Wonderwall by Oasis

Brits don't count.
FUDU wrote:Smells Like Teen Spirit deserves some discussion but I disagree that it is a no brainer by any means.

IMO the vast majority of a generation would need to relate to said anthem, not sure that is the case with SLTS. It definitely has an impact on music but just how much, not sure.

With the competing titans of Rock and Hip Hop, music nowadays is too diverse. That just didn't exist before the 90s.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Being a part of Gen. Y, Teen Spirit is a little too early for us. Can't really think of anything from the late '90's. So the one that I can think of that got super huge and is still credible as a song is...

Seven Nation Army.

Not saying I love it, but it's hard to argue it's reach. College kids chant the melody during kickoffs at football games for chrissakes, I think that's pretty anthemic.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:28 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:I'm 23 and I'd say

Parklife by Blur
or
Wonderwall by Oasis

Brits don't count.

:(
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:37 pm

44 - "rock and roll all nite" by kiss.

i wanna rock and roll all nite
and party every day!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:Being a part of Gen. Y, Teen Spirit is a little too early for us. Can't really think of anything from the late '90's.

"I want it that way"

:lmfao:

Worst period ever for even close to mainstream R & R

I feel bad for you cats
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 pm

FUDU wrote:Smells Like Teen Spirit deserves some discussion but I disagree that it is a no brainer by any means.

FUDU, anyone aged 17 - 28 in 90 - 91 era can tell you exactly the place and circumstance when they heard the first riffs of SLTS.

In the first 3 notes of the opening riff , hair metal and old farts like Aerosmith were gloriously bansihed to the dust bin of history.

It was that big.

A few years before that, you can make a great case for almost anything off Appetite from GnR. Before that, it wasn't my generation. I was too young. It was either all about the Dazed and Confused era when burnouts ruled the world, or if you were metro and cool, punk did. By the rise of the late 90's shit, I'd jumped that demographic shark into 30 something.

By "generation", I'm thinking that is one's 20's.

But sure, if you want to make your case for We are The World, go on head. I know you sang along and hit the bridge with Huey Lewis.
Last edited by jb on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 pm

JB wrote:Smells like teen spirit

Not the first gangsta rap, but the most in your face. Brought what the urban US had become to the masses

Good call, but for me it was Jeremy- Pearl Jam. That entire album was my introduction to grunge music. I'd like to add The Chronic to that list too. First time white kids tried to act black, which was quite the paradigm shift.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
JB wrote:Smells like teen spirit

Not the first gangsta rap, but the most in your face. Brought what the urban US had become to the masses

Good call, but for me it was Jeremy- Pearl Jam. That entire album was my introduction to grunge music. I'd like to add The Chronic to that list too. First time white kids tried to act black, which was quite the paradigm shift.

I'll definately accept both into the collection.

"10" is the most remarkable CD / album of the era.

Oh, white keds been trying to act black since ragtime, buddy.

then jazz

then early blues' based rock n roll before the teen idol era (much like the late 90's boy band hiatus)

disco...

Hip hop is just the same "on the one" beat going on.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:58 pm

JB wrote:Oh, white keds been trying to act black since ragtime, buddy.

In the scope of my generation. First time white kids I knew started acting black.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
JB wrote:Oh, white keds been trying to act black since ragtime, buddy.

In the scope of my generation. First time white kids I knew started acting black.

In Euclit, my peeps knew the words to "The Message" at age 15. Then again, we also played the shit out of "Double Live Gonzo".

' sayin ' .
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:03 pm

JB wrote:

FUDU, anyone aged 17 - 28 in 90 - 91 era can tell you exactly the place and circumstance when they heard the first riffs of SLTS.

In the first 3 notes of the opening riff , hair metal and old farts like Aerosmith were gloriously bansihed to the dust bin of history.

It was that big.

A few years before that, you can make a great case for almost anything off Appetite from GnR. Before that, it wasn't my generation. I was too young. By the rise of the late 90's shit, I'd jumped that demographic shark into 30 something.

But sure, if you want to make your case for We are The World, go on head. I know you sang along and hit the bridge with Huey Lewis.
Well at least now you are defining a point in which you associate with a generation, early 20's I can agree with. But I don't discount late teens really.

SLTS is not a bad choice like I said, but IMO it is overrated in that it represents something to music that we hadn't seen. All it was really was the reality of a rock band that was kind of about nothing or about everything at once. Almost like chaos when a lot of what came before it the previous dozens years was about something in particular, often the same thing from every rock band. But the chaos wasn't new to the music world.

I know you aren't going to like this take: but Nirvana was the epitome of the "define me" crowd, so interdependent on the inner workings of their life. No different than Friends really. Nirvana (Kurt) complicated simplicity.

I am actually with you more on the Fight for Your Right, albeit it more of a rebellious type cliche. The Beastie Boys in general seem more fitting as the style of music that would relate to an anthem of our gen (I'm 37, so were are pretty much same gen, no?). Fine lines.

Killing in the Name Of works for the fine line of gen x/gen y.

As much as I hate to admit it our gen anthem JB would probably be voted to be a title from a big hair band,

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm

JB wrote:In the first 3 notes of the opening riff , hair metal and old farts like Aerosmith were gloriously bansihed to the dust bin of history.

Aerosmith was able to keep alive after that for a while, while pretty much every other Hair Metal Band died a quick death. RUN DMC really saved their asses though.

For Gen. Y?

It's been a joke, our generation pretty much caught the tail end of the alt/grunge era and right as that was ending, the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys drove it into the ground. I think that two events killed Rock and (real) Hip-Hop and drove it underground. The suicide of Kurt Cobain and the deaths of 2pac and Biggie really are the culprits. From there things have really devolved, from Boyz II Men to Britney Spears to Miley Cyrus.

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 pm

As an anthem for Gen Xers, Smells Like Teen Spirit can't be denied. Alice In Chains shits all over Nirvana and their vannila music. They were the best band to come out of the Seattle scene, by a mile.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:As an anthem for Gen Xers, Smells Like Teen Spirit can't be denied. Alice In Chains shits all over Nirvana and their vannila music. They were the best band to come out of the Seattle scene, by a mile.

Strong statement, but not much I can argue against. A mile is a long way, but Jar of Flies is one of my favorite albums.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:As an anthem for Gen Xers, Smells Like Teen Spirit can't be denied. Alice In Chains shits all over Nirvana and their vannila music. They were the best band to come out of the Seattle scene, by a mile.

Strong statement, but not much I can argue against. A mile is a long way, but Jar of Flies is one of my favorite albums.

I will say this, SLTS was the spear point that broke through for most of the other bands in the scene. Musically, AIC is just flat out superior to Nirvana IMO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 pm

FUDU wrote: I know you aren't going to like this take: but Nirvana was the epitome of the "define me" crowd, so interdependent on the inner workings of their life. No different than Friends really. Nirvana (Kurt) complicated simplicity.

I am actually with you more on the Fight for Your Right, albeit it more of a rebellious type cliche. The Beastie Boys in general seem more fitting as the style of music that would relate to an anthem of our gen (I'm 37, so were are pretty much same gen, no?). Fine lines.

Really? Are you comparing the mainstream emergence of the alt music scene to an ensemble cast comedy show set in New York where we witness characters going about their daily lives and how they interact? As if that concept had never been tried before? Really?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Alt Rock had been done before, it was called punk back then.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:38 pm

I am 27 now, so really an anthem for "my generation" would have to have been from about 1999-present day.

We are the generation with no anthem, and that doesn't sit well with me to be honest.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote: I know you aren't going to like this take: but Nirvana was the epitome of the "define me" crowd, so interdependent on the inner workings of their life. No different than Friends really. Nirvana (Kurt) complicated simplicity.

Really? Are you comparing the mainstream emergence of the alt music scene to an ensemble cast comedy show set in New York where we witness characters going about their daily lives and how they interact? As if that concept had never been tried before? Really?

Friends was much about the ensemble of characters "finding themselves", and often times the show simply tried to hard. Same with Nirvana, so yeah I said it. They were not so different as people like to make them out to be, and their music was about much of the same stuff as many bands before them.

Let's not forget time and place, I mean you take MTV out of the mix and it is very possible that only Gray's Harbor would know who Nirvana was. Same could be said for a lot of bands in that time sure.

SLTS is definitely a good tune and made a dent, I'm not knocking the suggestion for this thread, I am just stating that the band responsible for that song wasn't the first nor second coming of Christ.

FUDU

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Good Topic:

I'm 35 so obviously Smells like teen spirit (1991). Although rap fans might say Dr. Dre - Aint nothing but a G-thang- there's No debate.

For those under 30 its more difficult as for-the-masses pop music began to fracture when MTV stopped playing videos and mp3s were invented.

I posit:
For indie rock: Broken Social Scene's Stars and Sons (2001) or Arcade Fire's Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

For Pop: Justin TImberlake's Cry Me A River (2002)

For Rap: Jay-Z Hard Knock Life (1997) or Outkast -Ms Jackson
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:46 pm

FUDU wrote:
Friends was much about the ensemble of characters "finding themselves", and often times the show simply tried to hard. Same with Nirvana, so yeah I said it. They were not so different as people like to make them out to be, and their music was about much of the same stuff as many bands before them.

Let's not forget time and place, I mean you take MTV out of the mix and it is very possible that only Gray's Harbor would know who Nirvana was. Same could be said for a lot of bands in that time sure.

SLTS is definitely a good tune and made a dent, I'm not knocking the suggestion for this thread, I am just stating that the band responsible for that song wasn't the first nor second coming of Christ.

Ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were holding up "Friends" as some type of seminal moment in TV history. You think it blew chunks as well.

Ok, so on to Nirvana. I just disagree. I don't care for the band all that much, but the thread title contained "anthem", which to me means it
appealed to a wide audience
got commercial airplay (probably too much)
and was picked up by the mainstream media

SLTS was a "anthem" song. A fairly memorable one for that generation. Maybe it didn't speak to you personally, but it certainly seemed to be adopted by a lot of other people. An anthem song doesn't necessarily mean it's a good song by a legit band, it's just a rallying cry for a bunch of peeps.

Was Born to Run an anthem song for the generation 10 years earlier?
Last edited by mattvan1 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattvan1

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:I am 27 now, so really an anthem for "my generation" would have to have been from about 1999-present day.

We are the generation with no anthem, and that doesn't sit well with me to be honest.

THIS! I'm 27 also and I cannot think of shit. SLTS was huge, but I could have cared less. Luved Pearl Jam, but they were the so called sellouts of the Alt Rock scene. Liked AIC, 10 years later... Was a HUGE Metallica fan, but that died a slow death after Load and Reload... Can listen to just about any kind of music if it survives 10 years of age... I don't know...

EDIT
If I see that F'ing Black Eyed Peas Direct TV commercial I am gonna go Howard Dean in here. Music today blows... Looking good and being a tool is all you need, actual talent...
Last edited by Orenthal on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Orenthal wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:I am 27 now, so really an anthem for "my generation" would have to have been from about 1999-present day.

THIS! I'm 27 also and I cannot think of shit. SLTS was huge, but I could have cared less. Luved Pearl Jam, but they were the so called sellouts of the Alt Rock scene. Liked AIC, 10 years later... Was a HUGE Metallica fan, but that died a slow death after Load and Reload... Can listen to just about any kind of music if it survives 10 years of age... I don't know...

I mean, do we have to get stuck with "Higher" by Creed? "It's Been Awhile" from Staind? "Cause I Got High" by Afroman?

WE AINT GOT SHIT!
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Orenthal wrote:

I mean, do we have to get stuck with "Higher" by Creed? "It's Been Awhile" from Staind? "Cause I Got High" by Afroman?

WE AINT GOT SHIT!

That is too freaking funny. On some jobs we will go all day saying random things like Scott Stapp. TOOL thy name is Scott Stapp! Our generation blows, but at least ours did not make Flavor Flav or Brett Michaels relevent again. I putting that on the gen below us...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Orenthal wrote:That is too freaking funny. On some jobs we will go all day saying random things like Scott Stapp. TOOL thy name is Scott Stapp! Our generation blows, but at least ours did not make Flavor Flav or Brett Michaels relevent again. I putting that on the gen below us...

lol. You're right. Atleast we don't have that on our conscious.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm

I'm 29, and the Seattle rock scene was it for me. I was in Jr High when it started, but I still consider that the monumental music time for me. Considering what has come since then, excluding a short resurgence of rock in the early 2000's, I'd still go with PJ/AIC/Nirvana as generational anthem music for me.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 pm

It is an interesting thread, I'll say that. Never into the Grunge scene so SLTS doesn't ring true for me or the group of people I hung around with.

I'll offer up 'Born in the USA' which was HUGE when I was in peak anthem years despite the fact it was misconstrued and used opposite of what it was intended for.

'Enter Sandman' and 'Welcome to the Jungle' are two others.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Pantera was pretty huge... How about Walk as our anthem! I'd say it was a combo of grunge and Pantera that killed 80's glam rock!
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Orenthal wrote:Pantera was pretty huge... How about Walk as our anthem! I'd say it was a combo of grunge and Pantera that killed 80's glam rock!

Walk isn't bad really for our generation, but it doesn't appeal to enough people due to it's heavy nature IMO.

Another song that I think many would consider for this, and I will get attacked for this (but just hear me out) Pour Some Sugar On Me. Yeah it is got a bit of that big hair band feel, but IMO only b/c of the era it came out, Def Leppard however was not really a big hair band (at least far from the typical one), couldn't be with their roots in Britain and starting out in the seventies. It legitimately rocks way more than most big hair rock and is not on the same level of cheesiness.

For me personally it was a bit early in my years to garner my vote for an anthem, 87 I was 17, too dumb to know much of anything.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Here's the thing. Me and u, CDT, have had some round this week bout the Bucks, but you are my younger internets broham from aotha mutha. much respect. Yous my ace.

Music tastes is 100% subjective. i won't pit one good grunge band versus another. Much love Aic. But kurt dissed them. Glossed the "Ann B. Davis in Chains. AIC was after Mudhoney and Nirvana. Can't say any band "shits all over Nirnvana" from that period. Nirvana was Cornflakes: The original, and the best. It's like saying as a bay boo that the who shits all over the Beatles. You can prefer others, but you can't deny.

"The denial" scream ended the excess stupidity of the 80's.

No Nirvana nationally, no AIC. Feelin' me?

War douglas coupland.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Orenthal wrote:Pantera was pretty huge... How about Walk as our anthem! I'd say it was a combo of grunge and Pantera that killed 80's glam rock!

A generational snthem has to be iconic. Id est more that 6 people have to have dug it.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:16 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were holding up "Friends" as some type of seminal moment in TV history. You think it blew chunks as well.

Ok, so on to Nirvana. I just disagree. I don't care for the band all that much, but the thread title contained "anthem", which to me means it
appealed to a wide audience
got commercial airplay (probably too much)
and was picked up by the mainstream media

SLTS was a "anthem" song. A fairly memorable one for that generation. Maybe it didn't speak to you personally, but it certainly seemed to be adopted by a lot of other people. An anthem song doesn't necessarily mean it's a good song by a legit band, it's just a rallying cry for a bunch of peeps.

Was Born to Run an anthem song for the generation 10 years earlier?

Absofuckinlutely. If not Born to Run, then Prove it all Night.

Boss = late 1970's non-punk anthem for a generation.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Alt Rock had been done before, it was called punk back then.

+ 1
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

FUDU wrote:
JB wrote:

It was that big.

A few years before that, you can make a great case for almost anything off Appetite from GnR. Before that, it wasn't my generation. I was too young. By the rise of the late 90's shit, I'd jumped that demographic shark into 30 something.

Well at least now you are defining a point in which you associate with a generation, early 20's I can agree with. But I don't discount late teens really.

SLTS is not a bad choice like I said, but IMO it is overrated in that it represents something to music that we hadn't seen. All it was really was the reality of a rock band that was kind of about nothing or about everything at once. Almost like chaos when a lot of what came before it the previous dozens years was about something in particular, often the same thing from every rock band. But the chaos wasn't new to the music world.

I know you aren't going to like this take: but Nirvana was the epitome of the "define me" crowd, so interdependent on the inner workings of their life. No different than Friends really. Nirvana (Kurt) complicated simplicity.

As much as I hate to admit it our gen anthem JB would probably be voted to be a title from a big hair band,

Maybe yours. I hated hair metal. I hung onto alt aand punk past its prime like the Clash. It just wasn't "my generation". It was a vestage of what I admired from the previous generation I wanted mine to be. i was embarassed by mine until SLTS.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:22 pm

JB wrote:

A generational snthem has to be iconic. Id est more that 6 people have to have dug it.

At least double that, and btw the album after Vulgar went to #1... Rush plays it as part of his bumper music, or is that Revolution is My Name... <-grasping
Orenthal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm

FUDU wrote: Another song that I think many would consider for this, and I will get attacked for this (but just hear me out) Pour Some Sugar On Me. Yeah it is got a bit of that big hair band feel, but IMO only b/c of the era it came out, Def Leppard however was not really a big hair band (at least far from the typical one), couldn't be with their roots in Britain and starting out in the seventies. It legitimately rocks way more than most big hair rock and is not on the same level of cheesiness.

For me personally it was a bit early in my years to garner my vote for an anthem, 87 I was 17, too dumb to know much of anything.

OMG. Dude, you are most respected when it comes to a bunch of stuff, but the NBA Playoffs are not about match ups and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" as the anthem song that represents your generation are 2 of the greatest, most significantly fucked up takes I can remember from a regular. And I mean that in a very lighthearted, most respectful manner. :hide:
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm

FUDU wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

PS - "friends" was the "Happy days" of the late 1990's.

I have no use for that formula.

Now had you said "Singles" the movie .....

Kurt was a rock and roll god. Same vein as Morrison and Jimi. Strung out Scott? Not so much. Music is subjective. The pantheon is not.

And I hit the first 3 Lallopolooza's in the early 1990's.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:25 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote: Another song that I think many would consider for this, and I will get attacked for this (but just hear me out) Pour Some Sugar On Me. Yeah it is got a bit of that big hair band feel, but IMO only b/c of the era it came out, Def Leppard however was not really a big hair band (at least far from the typical one), couldn't be with their roots in Britain and starting out in the seventies. It legitimately rocks way more than most big hair rock and is not on the same level of cheesiness.

OMG. Dude, you are most respected when it comes to a bunch of stuff, but the NBA Playoffs are not about match ups and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" as the anthem song that represents your generation are 2 of the greatest, most significantly fucked up takes I can remember from a regular. And I mean that in a very lighthearted, most respectful manner. :hide:

I disagree.

Por some sugar on me represents a generational anthem of strippers on the pole.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Really? Are you comparing the mainstream emergence of the alt music scene to an ensemble cast comedy show set in New York where we witless characters going about their daily lives and how they interact? As if that concept had never been tried before? Really?

Fixed.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

I didn't wanna say anything, but at age 5 watching my older GIRL cousins listen to that stuff, I knew, I just knew... :wha?:
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Orenthal wrote:
JB wrote:

At least double that, and btw the album after Vulgar went to #1... Rush plays it as part of his bumper music, or is that Revolution is My Name... <-grasping

I've never lsitened to 5 minutes of Rush since 1992, so maybe I am wrong.

I know the tankers lover Pantera while wasting Hajjies, so maybe it's the post- 2000 generations anthem.

i admit ignorance, and all music is subjective.

But NFW it it Gen X's anthem. That much I am sure.

Peace out cat.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Orenthal wrote:That is too freaking funny. On some jobs we will go all day saying random things like Scott Stapp. TOOL thy name is Scott Stapp! Our generation blows, but at least ours did not make Flavor Flav or Brett Michaels relevent again. I putting that on the gen below us...

lol. You're right. Atleast we don't have that on our conscious.

Please don't blame us for that. We make fun of those ass hats as well for being lame. I respect what Flavor Flav did with Public Enemy, but now he's a punchline to a joke on the Soup Blame VH1/MTV for thinking we don't have a big enough attention span to watch music videos and or Youtube/Peer to peer destroyed those channels and pretty much made it a pulpit for absolute f***tards like Spencer Pratt.

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 pm

I dont know dude, Soundgarden was pretty fucking good too.. Not trying to start an AIC vs Soundgarden thread/fight but I agree with the point I would rather listen to those 2 bands over Nervarna. Outside of SLTS, there really wasnt anything else from them I really got into.. but ALC, Soundgarden, those albums fucking jammed.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 pm

jack_tors wrote:

I dont know dude, Soundgarden was pretty fucking good too.. Not trying to start an AIC vs Soundgarden thread/fight but I agree with the point I would rather listen to those 2 bands over Nervarna. Outside of SLTS, there really wasnt anything else from them I really got into.. but ALC, Soundgarden, those albums fucking jammed.

Soundgarden's music was ok, but I can't stand Chris Cornell, his voice is like nails on the chalkboard to me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:

Jar Of Flies is an effin masterpiece

SLTS, more than any other song, changed the coarse of music. I guess it would have to be that that defined my generation (I'm 35).

But, I'd have to say that Radiohead's Creep best reflected what a lot of us were feeling.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:26 am

I think it's worth a chuckle that JB is trying to be hip and suggest SLTS. We all know he's like a million years old.

This is his generation's anthem.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture