Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Islanders Talking About Moving

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Islanders Talking About Moving

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Word of NYC is that the Islanders are looking at all options in a bit to get a new arena, including moving from Long Island. Cant say I blame em, from everything I have ever read, Nassau Coliseum is a massive dump. I believe the sewers backed up a couple years back, flooding the locker rooms..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Amk.fwc0LVW7sWYFxUqhDVx7vLYF?slug=ap-islanders-wang&prov=ap&type=lgns
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Islanders Talking About Moving

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Terrible situation for a storied franchise. Some really bad ownership decisions have determined the team's fate over the last few years, namely the monster contracts to Alexei Yashin and Rick DiPietro. I think that had something to do with the bad attendance, but an eyesore of a building has more to do with it. In an oversaturated sports market like NYC, the Islanders simply can't compete.

Portland, Kansas City, or Milwaukee would be a good relocation spot for them. Portland has a minor league team that does well, and more importantly, a big enough arena. KC has wanted a team for a while and was rumored to get the Penguins. And college hockey is big in Wisconsin. A lot of kids from there go to UND, UM, or Wisconsin. Again, they also have a big enough arena.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:19 am

Skating Tripods wrote:Terrible situation for a storied franchise. Some really bad ownership decisions have determined the team's fate over the last few years, namely the monster contracts to Alexei Yashin and Rick DiPietro. I think that had something to do with the bad attendance, but an eyesore of a building has more to do with it. In an oversaturated sports market like NYC, the Islanders simply can't compete.

Portland, Kansas City, or Milwaukee would be a good relocation spot for them. Portland has a minor league team that does well, and more importantly, a big enough arena. KC has wanted a team for a while and was rumored to get the Penguins. And college hockey is big in Wisconsin. A lot of kids from there go to UND, UM, or Wisconsin. Again, they also have a big enough arena.

Yeah, the arena is KC is nice, seen pics as part of another story talking about how they are just awaiting a resident. The Chiefs, Hornets, etc.. show the midwest can support a hockey team and as you point out, there is a market there. Just wondering if its the Islanders or Coyotes going there. Its just a matter of time before the Coyotes are out of Phoenix and I know they have been rumored for KC as well..

The Yashin deal was straight up stupid and handcuffed them. I think the DiPietro deal could be that stupid or worse but Rick is still young and I will give him a little more time before making that call.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, I'm doing my part for queen and country on December 19th when I'm watching them play the Habs. It would be sad given their tradition to see them leave, unless they ended up at the Q or the Hartford Civic Center, of course...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:14 pm

What would really be sad is if the whole team were eaten by that behemoth in your signature.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby stretch51 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 pm

RIBrownsFan wrote:Well, I'm doing my part for queen and country on December 19th when I'm watching them play the Habs. It would be sad given their tradition to see them leave, unless they ended up at the Q or the Hartford Civic Center, of course...

Omgoodness.....Bring back the Whale.

That's America's Team right there.

Wonder if Basille wants a part of the Isles and send 'em up to Hamilton.
stretch51

Favorite Player: Joe Jakubick
Least Favorite Player: Loy Vaught

Unread postby papacass » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:And college hockey is big in Wisconsin. A lot of kids from there go to UND, UM, or Wisconsin. Again, they also have a big enough arena.

Are we talking about the Bradley Center? That place is quickly reaching antique status. It opened in 1988, and the Bucks already want out. No guarantees that Sen. Kohl is going to prevent the Bucks from leaving Milwaukee if they don't get a new facility, or tens of millions in renovations to the Bradley Center.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:What would really be sad is if the whole team were eaten by that behemoth in your signature.

You know Garth Snow is dying to sign her to a 15 year contract...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:And college hockey is big in Wisconsin. A lot of kids from there go to UND, UM, or Wisconsin. Again, they also have a big enough arena.

Are we talking about the Bradley Center? That place is quickly reaching antique status. It opened in 1988, and the Bucks already want out. No guarantees that Sen. Kohl is going to prevent the Bucks from leaving Milwaukee if they don't get a new facility, or tens of millions in renovations to the Bradley Center.

If they got promised a hockey team, they'd make the necessary renovations for sure. It would be a huge draw in a market like Milwaukee and probably even creep over in to North Dakota.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to The Neutral Zone