Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Shutter Island, October 2nd?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Shutter Island, October 2nd?

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 pm

I checked today to see when the showings are, can't find the movie. I remember its original release date of October 2nd, I even maked it on my cell phone. So I check imdb.com and saw that its now moved to February 19th..

I like Martin Scorsese films, and I hope the move isn't a bad thing. Usually when movies are released in Jan-Feb, they really arn't that good IMO.

Anyone know anything about Shutter Island, and why it was moved to a different date?
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: Shutter Island, October 2nd?

Unread postby waborat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Absolutely one of my favorites reads ever!!!

I've given the dman thing to so many of my friends/family and everyone has returned and wondered if it was going to be made into a movie???

When I heard a couple of years ago that Marty & Leo were going to make it together I was intrigued to say the least and put it at #2 as my "must see" of '09 after Ingloureous Basterds...

Ironically, they showed the preview to Shutter Island when we went to see IB on it's first weekend back in August and I told my wife that is our next movie out together...

About a week later, I saw on the net that it was being moved back to February...the movie studio said that they didn't have the $$$ this year to promote and market it properly and that was the reason for the move...they also said that they weren't worried about a move to Feb because that's when Silence of the Lambs was released and still won best picture...they claim that they have a BP on their hands...

Mitch might be able to shed some more light on this one???
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Hadn't seen anything more than what Wobo reported...they are saying that it's strictly a financial decision.

I would normally be a little concerned, but this seems to be going on a lot lately. The Road has been pushed back quite a bit...it was originally supposed to be an end-of-year movie LAST year...now it's pushed back to November. But it doesn't appear they are doing it because it stinks, as it's getting great buzz for the Viggo Mortensen performance and the adaptation of a critically aclaimed Cormac McCarthy script.

I think part of it is just to build up buzz for a movie that is going to be exceptionally written, produced, directed, and acted, but may not be very mainstream.

"The Road" may be by the same guy who wrote "No Country for Old Men", but evidently it lacks any of the subtle humor in that film (not that there was much).

In the same vein, "Shutter Island" is Scorcese's first foray into "horror", so it's a bit of a different audience that will be watching it.

Perhaps the "Silence of the Lambs" reference was perfect. That movie was also considered (somewhat) "horror", although not slasher, and look what it was able to do.

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Mitch wrote:Hadn't seen anything more than what Wobo reported...they are saying that it's strictly a financial decision.

I would normally be a little concerned, but this seems to be going on a lot lately. The Road has been pushed back quite a bit...it was originally supposed to be an end-of-year movie LAST year...now it's pushed back to November. But it doesn't appear they are doing it because it stinks, as it's getting great buzz for the Viggo Mortensen performance and the adaptation of a critically aclaimed Cormac McCarthy script.

I think part of it is just to build up buzz for a movie that is going to be exceptionally written, produced, directed, and acted, but may not be very mainstream.

"The Road" may be by the same guy who wrote "No Country for Old Men", but evidently it lacks any of the subtle humor in that film (not that there was much).

In the same vein, "Shutter Island" is Scorcese's first foray into "horror", so it's a bit of a different audience that will be watching it.

Perhaps the "Silence of the Lambs" reference was perfect. That movie was also considered (somewhat) "horror", although not slasher, and look what it was able to do.

Maybe suspense ala Hithcock is a better classification?
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture