Text Size

No Holds Barred

Our weather

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:15 am

Did I sleep through October and the first 3 weeks of November? Or did somebody kidnap me and drop me off in Seattle? Rain and 45 everyday?

Fuck this is crap.

Another day or two of this and I'll have to consider turning the heat on?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:32 am

Good call about Seattle.

I wouldn't even mind it getting colder. But rain too? F you, Ohio.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: Our weather

Unread postby General » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:35 am

50's at night, 80's during the day, zero humidity in Pensacola. Sorry Ohio bound disciples.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
User avatar
General
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Pensacola
Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:38 am

300 days of sun out here in Denver, take that Pensacola and Ohio!

Certainly dont miss the dark and rainy days of the midwest.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Our weather

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:43 am

Been absolutely perfect in Boston since the worst June ever....

Two days over 90 all summer, highs of 70/lows of 50 all September, 65/45 now....

Perfect...

I love the Ocean and the fact that it keeps it from getting as hot or cold as Ohio here...
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 am

This weather would be perfect if it wasn't for all the goddamned rain. Yesterday was beautiful. I despise hot weather, anything over 85 is unbearable.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Our weather

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Look on the bright side, you don't have to shovel rain.
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: Our weather

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Ziner wrote:300 days of sun out here in Denver, take that Pensacola and Ohio!

Certainly dont miss the dark and rainy days of the midwest.


310 days here. Although it's dry and dusty all of the time. I'd take Denver any day, except maybe when it's 65 degrees in January :thumb up:
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Loved this summer, best in a long time IMO. Never crazy hot, humidity was enjoyable, grass even stayed green (sign of me getting old).

But this past week, JFC. October and Early November is usually weather to look forward to and still enjoy in NEO.

No wonder Seattle was the suicide capitol of the world, I hate everything and everyone on days like today.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:11 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Ziner wrote:300 days of sun out here in Denver, take that Pensacola and Ohio!

Certainly dont miss the dark and rainy days of the midwest.


310 days here. Although it's dry and dusty all of the time. I'd take Denver any day, except maybe when it's 65 degrees in January :thumb up:


Yeah, but the winters here arent nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The mountains get most of the snow and we just get a few big storms (or so I hear, havent experienced it myself). I do know that when the sun is shining you arent cold. Came here to search for an apartment in March and it was 22 degrees and we had the windows down because the sun makes it so hot. Its really strange.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Our weather

Unread postby papacass » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:43 pm

This is unseasonably cool and rainy for this time of year. Usually, September and the first few weeks of October represent the best weather we see all year in northern Ohio.

It's usually sunny, temps in the 60s-70s, and there is still enough usable daylight in the evenings to enjoy it. Weather like what we've been seeing this week is the kind of seasonal affective disorder crap that normally comes along in November.

When it's 8 a.m. and still dark enough to be 6 a.m. thanks to a thick covering of rain clouds, I have a really hard time getting going in the morning.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Papa Cass wrote:This is unseasonably cool and rainy for this time of year. Usually, September and the first few weeks of October represent the best weather we see all year in northern Ohio.

It's usually sunny, temps in the 60s-70s, and there is still enough usable daylight in the evenings to enjoy it. Weather like what we've been seeing this week is the kind of seasonal affective disorder crap that normally comes along in November.

When it's 8 a.m. and still dark enough to be 6 a.m. thanks to a thick covering of rain clouds, I have a really hard time getting going in the morning.

Exactly, which is why I am so bothered by it, b/c I go through S.A.D. Not ready for it to kick in this early.

Run with that Peeker.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:19 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:This weather would be perfect if it wasn't for all the goddamned rain. Yesterday was beautiful. I despise hot weather, anything over 85 is unbearable.



Yeah i'm on the "hate the heat" train. I don't mind the grey skies, I actually kind of like them, especially in the fall. The cold rain does suck though.

We all know since it was a mild summer we're gonna get crushed this winter. The last two times we had summer's like this, 93 and and the summer of 76. Which was followed by the blizzard of 77, I wasn't born but my parents and grand parents used to talk about it alot. "Snow 10 feet high, wind blowing 50 mph, temps in the -20 range" not sure if that's exagerated or not, some of you old timers school us youngsters.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Our weather

Unread postby General » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 am

Ziner wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:
Ziner wrote:300 days of sun out here in Denver, take that Pensacola and Ohio!

Certainly dont miss the dark and rainy days of the midwest.


310 days here. Although it's dry and dusty all of the time. I'd take Denver any day, except maybe when it's 65 degrees in January :thumb up:


Yeah, but the winters here arent nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The mountains get most of the snow and we just get a few big storms (or so I hear, havent experienced it myself). I do know that when the sun is shining you arent cold. Came here to search for an apartment in March and it was 22 degrees and we had the windows down because the sun makes it so hot. Its really strange.



I always wanted to give that region a try...who knows after a couple more Cat 3 or 4's....
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
User avatar
General
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Pensacola
Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah i'm on the "hate the heat" train. I don't mind the grey skies, I actually kind of like them, especially in the fall. The cold rain does suck though.

We all know since it was a mild summer we're gonna get crushed this winter. The last two times we had summer's like this, 93 and and the summer of 76. Which was followed by the blizzard of 77, I wasn't born but my parents and grand parents used to talk about it alot. "Snow 10 feet high, wind blowing 50 mph, temps in the -20 range" not sure if that's exagerated or not, some of you old timers school us youngsters.


Summer of 2000 was like this too. I think there was one day that summer where the temps went over 90. I can't recall what the winter of 2000-01 was like, though.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 am

OK seriously this fall sucks ass. Worst start to fall ever around here. Rain on what 12 of the 17 days? Totally ruining what might be the best season in NEO, not to be confused with another season right now.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby mistero » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I should move to Alaska. Give me 6 months of fall followed by 6 months of winter.

Spring is too wet and summer is too sunny and hot.

Love me the grey skies.
In Chud We Trust
User avatar
mistero
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: North Ridgeville Ohio
Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:20 pm

So I've been in Edmonton since Tuesday night for business.

And I woke up yesterday to about 3 inches of snow, and temperatures that have been between 12 and 32.

Meanwhile, it's 70 at home right now, on the way up to a high of 84.

This definitely sucks copious amounts of ass.
Guest
 

Re: Our weather

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Coastal Carlsbad.... No gripes here.

'Cept company is moving all Ops to Orlando next June. Move all the way out here for a co. HQ here and they decide to up and leave. Fvck.
On Twitter @DaBashers
User avatar
dmiles
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Rain in buckets, hotter than a well diggers ass in July, and ridiculous humidity.


In other words, par for the course.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Cold, rainy weather is the worst. Give me 80F (26C) in the day and 60 (15C) in the night. As I get older I have noticed that I prefer a little cooler teperatures. I hope all are bearing up well as it has been terrible in North East Ohio.

To cheer every one up here is a lame attempt at humor:

Random thoughts from a deliberate mind.

•The wheel – The best thing BEFORE sliced bread.

•What’s so great about sliced bread?

•If you are sick, at least you have your health… umm never mind.

•Why is it called a forecast if it is for 5 days?

•What is the day after 2 straight days of rain? ANY day.

•Why is the weather man on TV called a meteorologist - instead of a no good stinking liar?

•If Will Rogers never met a man he didn’t like he either didn’t try very hard, didn’t get out much or never met a politician.

•If 3 strikes are called an out in baseball and a turkey in bowling what are 3 lightening strikes called? Really bad luck.

•Maybe it’s me but I get a little uncomfortable when my Doctor talks about “practicing” medicine.

•Is the completion of a luncheon call a dungeon?

•If there are 24 hours in day, 7 days in a week and 52 weeks in a year why is there always one on every crowd?

•What do you call a guy who hits a little white ball and chases after it in the woods? Rich.

•If someone who has a positive outlook is called an optimist and a person who has a negative outlook is called a pessimist, why don’t you call someone who has a neutral outlook a Swissimist?

•If diamonds are a girl’s best friend and dog is man’s best friend what does that say about the man?

•I believe that if a baseball pitcher has a complete game it can be called a 9 inning outing.

•All’s well that ends well. Using that logic you could be confined to a bed your whole life, be miraculously cured, step out into traffic, get killed by a car and your heirs win a million dollar lawsuit. Aw, it sure is a shame about Jimmy but we did win that lawsuit so “all’s well that ends well”.
:salute:
User avatar
hebner20
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Zé Apelido » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Southern California: Warmer winters, more moderate summers.

As long as there's enough water, come on over!
Zé Apelido
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: Os Anjos
Favorite Player: Manute Bol
Least Favorite Player: Romanowski

Re: Our weather

Unread postby jb » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

This is definately suicide weather.

Precip may let up this weekend a little.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Dont mean to rub it in... ahhh, who am I kidding, to rub it in, yesterday I hit up Arapahoe Basin for some morning skiing and then proceeded to go play 18 in the afternoon. Perfect day, could only be improved by managing to fit in some casino time in between. I dont know if I can ever leave Colorado
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:03 am

Rain finally stopped yesterday after about 2 weeks straight. I thought I was in 'nam for a bit. But yesterday was a high of 71, sunny and breezy. Got into the high 50's last night, and the outlook seems to be the same until the middle of the week. It's great outside right now. :nanner:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:25 am

Ziner wrote:Dont mean to rub it in... ahhh, who am I kidding, to rub it in, yesterday I hit up Arapahoe Basin for some morning skiing and then proceeded to go play 18 in the afternoon. Perfect day, could only be improved by managing to fit in some casino time in between. I dont know if I can ever leave Colorado


that my friend deserves the Dr Poove 100 bunny/pancake salute. Instead i give you this:
:thumbdown:
and this:
(mooning)
and finally:
:fu:
now i better start :hic: :thud:
User avatar
hebner20
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Uh hum.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Bump.

Seriously?

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/02/cleveland_named_worst_winter_c.htmlI think for the most part our winters are overrated, I mean I hate em and all, but Minny and Buffalo would be worse I thought?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Our weather

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm

Forbes.com on Friday named Cleveland as "America's Worst Winter Weather City," in a ranking of the top 50 metropolitan areas by population. (If only Buffalo could bring in more people, surely we could lose this ignominious label).
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am

FUDU wrote:Bump.

Seriously?

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/02/cleveland_named_worst_winter_c.htmlI think for the most part our winters are overrated, I mean I hate em and all, but Minny and Buffalo would be worse I thought?


IMHO, Cleveland winters aren't that bad in terms of the cold, or snowstorms (east-side snowbelt aside).

The big problem is that it's so freaking dark for months thanks to cloud cover. After moving to Boston, the biggest winter surprise was needing sunglasses after a snow storm.
User avatar
Jumbo
Chowderhead
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 pm
Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 am

No need to start another weather thread, but I thought this was topical given the recent (and customary) weather panic...

"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
User avatar
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader
 
Posts: 4835
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hebner20 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 am

You have to listen to the weather dude from baltimore. Funny as hell. From their perspective though this was a once every 20 or 30 year type of event. Probably like the NEO snow belt getting 6 feet.
User avatar
hebner20
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Our weather

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Jumbo wrote:
FUDU wrote:Bump.

Seriously?

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/02/cleveland_named_worst_winter_c.htmlI think for the most part our winters are overrated, I mean I hate em and all, but Minny and Buffalo would be worse I thought?


IMHO, Cleveland winters aren't that bad in terms of the cold, or snowstorms (east-side snowbelt aside).

The big problem is that it's so freaking dark for months thanks to cloud cover. After moving to Boston, the biggest winter surprise was needing sunglasses after a snow storm.

You hit the nail on the head there. I've read it several times in several places that NE Ohio is the gloomiest part of the USA and one of the gloomiest parts of the world in Winter.

It isn't just that it gets cold, it's the constant cloud cover.

As for freaking out over the weather, I studied weather in college a bit, and the theory I ended up finding the most credible evidence for had to do with cyclical weather patterns and sunspot cycles. History has shown there are 25-35 year weather cycles where it gets warmer and colder depending on the phase. The US entered a cold cycle from the end of WWII until the late 70s.

The subsequent warming CYCLE (ALSO known as Global Warming) then got a double whammy from increased sunspot activity that began in the mid 1990s that began tapering off a few years ago. Increased sunspot activity means the sun gets warmer, therefore if the sun gets warmer, the Earth gets warmer and there isn't anything species Homo Sapiens can do about it.

So take my theory for what it is, tell the Global Warming people (who now have mysteriously changed their mindset and moniker to "Climate Change") to shove it up their keysters, and prepare for colder, snowy winters in NE Ohio for the next couple of decades.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:27 pm

justmebd wrote:The subsequent warming CYCLE (ALSO known as Global Warming) then got a double whammy from increased sunspot activity that began in the mid 1990s that began tapering off a few years ago. Increased sunspot activity means the sun gets warmer, therefore if the sun gets warmer, the Earth gets warmer and there isn't anything species Homo Sapiens can do about it.



This is a load of shit. Try reading a bit more.
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 7.abstract
The conclusions of our previous paper, that solar forcing has declined over the past 20 years while surface air temperatures have continued to rise, are shown to apply for the full range of potential time constants for the climate response to the variations in the solar forcings.


Here's the real driving force behind our current weather (please don't confuse weather and climate). Same reason we had a mild hurricane season. Same reason the Mid-Atlantic is getting hammered by Nor' Easters, same reason they need to truck snow to Vancouver for the winter games.

http://beta.w1.noaanews.noaa.gov/storie ... tlook.html

http://www.surfline.com/forecast/el-nio ... son_31044/
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Our weather

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm

It's not a load of shit. If you want to tell me greenhouse gases and pollution, etc., exascerbated the last warming cycle, fine, I won't argue with you.

The core argument, though, is still sound as far as I'm concerned. And that's as far as I'm taking this because all we'll do is go back and forth and call each other names and I'm not interested in any of that. We can just agree to disagree on the finer points.
:group:
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Our weather

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm

justmebd wrote:It's not a load of shit. If you want to tell me greenhouse gases and pollution, etc., exascerbated the last warming cycle, fine, I won't argue with you.

The core argument, though, is still sound as far as I'm concerned. And that's as far as I'm taking this because all we'll do is go back and forth and call each other names and I'm not interested in any of that. We can just agree to disagree on the finer points.
:group:

Well, how could anyone quibble with someone who took Meteo 101 in college?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Our weather

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

The "core argument" as far as I'm concerned is that it's insane to give politicians the right to try and control the weather. I don't care if the fucking oceans are boiling.
User avatar
hermanfontenot
History Buff
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Our weather

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
justmebd wrote:It's not a load of shit. If you want to tell me greenhouse gases and pollution, etc., exascerbated the last warming cycle, fine, I won't argue with you.

The core argument, though, is still sound as far as I'm concerned. And that's as far as I'm taking this because all we'll do is go back and forth and call each other names and I'm not interested in any of that. We can just agree to disagree on the finer points.
:group:

Well, how could anyone quibble with someone who took Meteo 101 in college?

And my point gets proven.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Our weather

Unread postby papacass » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:No need to start another weather thread, but I thought this was topical given the recent (and customary) weather panic...



It's as if Bruce Drennan became a meteorologist. I half-expected this guy to start fielding calls asking if Mother Nature might trade the snowstorm and a lottery-protected hailstorm in 2011 for Antawn Jamison.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:No need to start another weather thread, but I thought this was topical given the recent (and customary) weather panic...





Is he related to Dan Hawkins?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

justmebd wrote: We can just agree to disagree on the finer points.


True: sunspot activity affects temperature

False: sunspots run in 25-35 year cycles

True: sunspots run in 11 year cycles- http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

False: The warming trend is a result of sunspots- as you can see in the above link, and the paper I linked previously, solar forcing is down, global temperature is up- http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

False: Colder winters in NE Ohio for nearly 3 decades because of sunspots.

False: recent weather variations show that global warming is bad science

True: every asshole who says "There's 20" of global warming on my front porch" is a hump

This in not my opinion. This is not debatable information. It's the fucking temperature. It's recorded, interpreted and forecasted weather changes as a result of a huge pool of warm water migrating across the equatorial Pacific, disrupting wind, moisture patterns and jet streams. Why was there a foot of snow in Virginia Beach last week? Why is there 30" of snow in DC/ Baltimore. Why is there no snow for the winter olympics? Because of El Nino. This is not a surprise, it was forecasted months ago. I posted that link previously as well. If you hear any person, weatherman or otherwise, tell you anything different, they are full of shit. In fact, if you want to get real technical, the recent increased sea surface temperatures (probably as a result of increased global temperatures) will add to the size and power of the El Nino and increase the shifts in temperature. That's right, warm water in the Pacific can drop temperatures on the East coast of the U.S. I know, it's fucking insane. Wait until western Europe drops back into an ice age. I can't wait to hear every dickwad with a blog, screaming from the mountain tops that Al Gore is a liar.

You want to argue the finer points of the governments role in legislating laws, fine. You want to argue the finer points of the economic impacts of said legislation, fine. You want to argue the finer points of the solutions used to help fix the problem, fine. But don't tell me we agree to disagree about completely false information, as that would imply that I'm a hump. And on this, I am not.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Global Warming............

What do we do? Who will save us from us?

Where's that goddamn Captain Planet when you need him?

Someone come shovel this 19 inches of snow off my deck, i'm looking at you Al Gore. Or are you too busy tracking down that insidious Manbearpig?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Global Warming............

What do we do? Who will save us from us?

Where's that goddamn Captain Planet when you need him?

Someone come shovel this 19 inches of snow off my deck, i'm looking at you Al Gore. Or are you too busy tracking down that insidious Manbearpig?


Man..I used to watch that show back when I was a kid.

What a crock of shit that was.

Like literally the villians either got off on pollution or needed it to stay alive. How the hell does that make any logical sense? I recall Stan Van Gundy and RichRod's wife were the villians on that heap of crap for some reason.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Our weather

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Seriously. That cartoon was way more ridiculous than turtles than transformed into karate masters because of some ooze.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Like literally the villians either got off on pollution or needed it to stay alive. How the hell does that make any logical sense? I recall Stan Van Gundy and RichRod's wife were the villians on that heap of crap for some reason.

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Seriously. That cartoon was way more ridiculous than turtles than transformed into karate masters because of some ooze.


They turned into gaint bipedal turtles because of the ooze, they became Ninja warriors because of Master Splinter. (How's that for nerdery?)
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Our weather

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Seriously. That cartoon was way more ridiculous than turtles than transformed into karate masters because of some ooze.


They turned into gaint bipedal turtles because of the ooze, they became Ninja warriors because of Master Splinter. (How's that for nerdery?)

Right. But why was Master Splinter able to teach them? Because of the ooze!
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Stu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 am

Triple-S wrote:This in not my opinion. This is not debatable information. It's the fucking temperature. It's recorded, interpreted and forecasted weather changes as a result of a huge pool of warm water migrating across the equatorial Pacific, disrupting wind, moisture patterns and jet streams. Why was there a foot of snow in Virginia Beach last week? Why is there 30" of snow in DC/ Baltimore. Why is there no snow for the winter olympics? Because of El Nino. This is not a surprise, it was forecasted months ago. I posted that link previously as well. If you hear any person, weatherman or otherwise, tell you anything different, they are full of shit. In fact, if you want to get real technical, the recent increased sea surface temperatures (probably as a result of increased global temperatures) will add to the size and power of the El Nino and increase the shifts in temperature. That's right, warm water in the Pacific can drop temperatures on the East coast of the U.S. I know, it's fucking insane. Wait until western Europe drops back into an ice age. I can't wait to hear every dickwad with a blog, screaming from the mountain tops that Al Gore is a liar.


Its true that DC has now broken the record for amount of snow in a winter.

Of course, the record was set back in 1898. Global warming must have been in full effect back then too.
Stu
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Stu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

Erie Warrior wrote:This is a load of shit. Try reading a bit more.
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 7.abstract
The conclusions of our previous paper, that solar forcing has declined over the past 20 years while surface air temperatures have continued to rise, are shown to apply for the full range of potential time constants for the climate response to the variations in the solar forcings.


but then you post this:

Erie Warrior wrote:True: sunspots run in 11 year cycles- http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml


Which shows a graph of the last 20 years where they decline, rise, then decline.

Explain.
Stu
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Re: Our weather

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:01 am

Stu wrote:Which shows a graph of the last 20 years where they decline, rise, then decline.
Explain.


Look at the graph. High point around 1990 is higher than the high point around 2000. The paper was published in 2008. Here's another graph. Jesus.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/SOLAR/SSN/image/annual.gif
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Next

Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests