Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

chili recipe

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

chili recipe

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Anyone got a great one? Want to make a big batch in my 5 gal pot next weekend.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: chili recipe

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Is this a "great" one? Obviously a matter of taste. This is very similar to what you would get at Wendy's - except better due to ability to customize.

This will make about 3 quarts (a complete average sized crock pot), so to make 5 gallons - do the math it is late.

1 - 46 ounce can of Tomato Juice
2 - 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes Italian style with basil and garlic
1 - 15 ounce can of beans - I like to use light red kidney you can use 2 cans if you love beans
1 lb of protein typically ground beef 85% lean you could use turkey, chicken or pork
1 medium onion diced
chilli powder, salt, black pepper and cumin - to taste
cayenne pepper sauce to taste - about 1 tablespoon is enough to add some heat and vinegar tanginess

beyond that, you can add whatever else you want white corn, sweet green peppers etc but this is the base chilli that is pretty darn good but admittedly fairly standard fare.

I would serve it with cheese to sprinkle on top and white rice as an optional bottom layer.

To prepare this I toss everything in a crock pot except the beef and then add the beef after browned and cook on low for about 8 hours. I usually do it the day before and let it sit in the fridge so it ages but 5 gallons is a lot of chilli so maybe that is not practical.

good luck.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:15 pm

hebner20 wrote:Is this a "great" one? Obviously a matter of taste. This is very similar to what you would get at Wendy's - except better due to ability to customize.

This will make about 3 quarts (a complete average sized crock pot), so to make 5 gallons - do the math it is late.

1 - 15 ounce can of beans - I like to use light red kidney you can use 2 cans if you love beans
1 lb of protein typically ground beef 85% lean you could use turkey, chicken or pork
1 medium onion diced
cayenne pepper sauce to taste - about 1 tablespoon is enough to add some heat and vinegar tanginess

beyond that, you can add whatever else you want white corn, sweet green peppers etc but this is the base chilli that is pretty darn good but admittedly fairly standard fare.

I would serve it with cheese to sprinkle on top and white rice as an optional bottom layer.

To prepare this I toss everything in a crock pot except the beef and then add the beef after browned and cook on low for about 8 hours. I usually do it the day before and let it sit in the fridge so it ages but 5 gallons is a lot of chilli so maybe that is not practical.

good luck.

I like that, except to bump it up for the 5 quart pot, I'd use 1/2 pound each of ground beef, pork, and lamb. The tastes and textures will be a nice different surprise in every bite, instead of the uniformity of one meat only. In addition to white rice, I might put out some cooked spaghetti and some mashed potatoes, just in case anyone wants some starch underneath their chili.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 pm

2lbs of hamburger meat.
1lb of Bob Evans original sausage (super important, ingredient, Jimmy Dean sucks, don't substitute for Bob Evans)
bunch of cans of Kidney beans ( when opening cans, open partially creating two slits, draining the fluid off, before fully opening. do this with all the beans)
couple of cans of black beans
three cans of cambells tomato soup
couple of cans of diced tomatoes
three green sweet peppers ( I like to get green, red and yellow for color effect) I dice them, but cooks choice prevails.
couple large diced onions

Chili powder, I have grown very fond of the Mexican hot chili powder. I would stick to normal powder, if a mellow chili is desired.
Ground Cumin by Badia
Ground red pepper by badia
Crushed red pepper by McCormick
ground cinnamon
sugar

Assembly process

Brown meat and drain fat. Add all none meat products to the main pot and simmer on lower heat setting. It should bubble like a large bath fart. If there are many small bubbles, the heat is to high. I find it easier to add the spices during this process, before adding the meat and beans. I pour a lot of chili powder. I would guess, 1/2 of cup, than add 2 table spoons of cumin. I taste test and add till it has a good taste of chili. It usually takes more than I think starting out. I than add a shake of cinnamon and a couple teaspoons of sugar. If you add to much cinnamon, the chili is ruined. It is now fag/feminine chili. Only add one shake of it, and if you are homophobic, just skip it all together. The sugar will battle the canned taste of the canned products, so make sure you add a couple of teaspoons.
Now if you want a nice bold chili, add the red pepper products 75% ground,25% crushed. Add, taste, repeat, till desired heat is acquired. The crushed red pepper is cayenne, so make sure to not rub your eyes, and wash your hands before hitting the head.

Once your base is established, than add the meat. Cook at the low heat for an hour, than add beans, once the onions and peppers start to break down. Continue cooking for a couple of hours, but it can be eaten as soon as the peppers are fully broken down. The longer you cook the beans, the more gas is released, which is better for the senior palate and the environment in general. It has taken me 20 years to develop this chili, trust me it is top shelf.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby mistero » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 am

OK, here it is. Please delete this as soon as you print it out. Top secret recipe...

First you get your veggies.
3 green peppers
2 red bell peppers
3 onions
2 jalepenos
2 ripe tomatos

Clean them and cut them into pieces....then toss them into to a food processor to make fairly smooth frothy broth.

Dump all that into a big pot.

Second have 2 pounds of ground beef cooking ...drain it well....dump that into your pot.

Next ,your beans.....

2 cans spicey chili beans
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can black beans

Drain and dump into pot.

Now you need the spices.....

Bunch of chili powder
shake or two of cumin
heap of black pepper
5 shakes of salt

Finally you finisher.....

3 cans of campbell's tomato soup....it'll be too damn hot with out the soup.

Add some water to get you concoction up to the top of the big pot...maybe 1-2 cups of water.

Let this crap simmer on med for 1 hour...than another 2 hours at least on low.

Is good, no?? :clap:
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for the recipes guys, I mixed and matched a little bit at the grocery store last night and got up at 7:30 am (west coast) and have everything simmering on low now. Ought to be nice and mingled for football tonight (didn't know you were helping out with recipes for a PSU game, eh?).

Went with 1/2 pound of sausage, 1/2 pound of turkey sausage, 1 pound of ground bison, and 1 pound of ground beef for the meats. Ended up needing a ton of chili powder, cayenne, and crushed red to get that flavor and spice to where I wanted it.

Tastes great and is bubbling nicely.
aoxo1

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:49 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Thanks for the recipes guys, I mixed and matched a little bit at the grocery store last night and got up at 7:30 am (west coast) and have everything simmering on low now. Ought to be nice and mingled for football tonight (didn't know you were helping out with recipes for a PSU game, eh?).

Went with 1/2 pound of sausage, 1/2 pound of turkey sausage, 1 pound of ground bison, and 1 pound of ground beef for the meats. Ended up needing a ton of chili powder, cayenne, and crushed red to get that flavor and spice to where I wanted it.

Tastes great and is bubbling nicely.

That sounds awesome. I just hope the meat doesn't dry out too much, although if the ground beef has enough fat it should all be good.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:22 pm

That's it, I am making chili this week. The weather is turning colder and after reading this thread I need some. Wish I had some now! PSU v. IOWA i believe in happy valley?
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Anyone here make Chili without the beans?

I started eating it that way while living in Texas and came to prefer eating my chili without the beans. Plus the leftovers go better with hotdogs (as in don't care for beans/chili on top of a dog).

I just wonder if some of these recipes wouldn't be as good without the beans. Realistically the beans probably add some good fiber, they just taste a little cardboardish to me.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

dmiles wrote:Anyone here make Chili without the beans?

I started eating it that way while living in Texas and came to prefer eating my chili without the beans. Plus the leftovers go better with hotdogs (as in don't care for beans/chili on top of a dog).

I just wonder if some of these recipes wouldn't be as good without the beans. Realistically the beans probably add some good fiber, they just taste a little cardboardish to me.

I go very light on the beans - and never use kidney beans - hate 'em. Pinto beans for me. Also, sometimes I use stew meat instead of ground beef.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:28 pm

jfiling wrote: In addition to white rice, I might put out some cooked spaghetti and some mashed potatoes, just in case anyone wants some starch underneath their chili.

You are dangerously close to one of the worst food abominations known to man - Skyline Chili. Please, check yourself. You seem like a good guy. Skyline Chili is a gateway stupid food concoction. Like pot, but for food. Instead of smack you will move on to topping rib eyes with peanut butter, and having your grilled brats with pickled ginger. "Course, there's nothing like a nice meatloaf topped with seafood gumbo.
mattvan1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Oh, and BTW, as far as starch goes white rice is reserved for jumbalaya, spaghetti is ridiculous, potatoes doesn't sound appetizing... gotta go with biscuits with a generous spread of butter.
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:35 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jfiling wrote: In addition to white rice, I might put out some cooked spaghetti and some mashed potatoes, just in case anyone wants some starch underneath their chili.

You are dangerously close to one of the worst food abominations known to man - Skyline Chili. Please, check yourself. You seem like a good guy. Skyline Chili is a gateway stupid food concoction. Like pot, but for food. Instead of smack you will move on to topping rib eyes with peanut butter, and having your grilled brats with pickled ginger. "Course, there's nothing like a nice meatloaf topped with seafood gumbo.

I have to have a large Skyline 3-way with their hot sauce and extra crackers plus a coney every 45 days. Inexplicable but I'm not apologizing. I love it but only that often and then I despise myself for a month before craving it again for the next two weeks.

Real chili, like my wife's venison version, is a true creation. Skyline is lunch.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm

My wife turned me on to chili on mashed potatoes. I love it, and will never apologize. I've done the spaghetti thing as well, which is decent. My favorite is still a big bowl of red, but plenty of other people like to have their chili topping some form of starchy food.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:41 pm

I have to have a large Skyline 3-way with their hot sauce and extra crackers plus a coney every 45 days. Inexplicable but I'm not apologizing. I love it but only that often and then I despise myself for a month before craving it again for the next two weeks.

Dirty Harry would be proud. "A man's got to know his limitations'

mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:44 pm

jfiling wrote: My favorite is still a big bowl of red, but plenty of other people like to have their chili topping some form of starchy food.

Yes. That's why the Lord created rice. Simple, good old fashion white rice.

Skyline Chili is the love child of Mike Brown and Marge Schott.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:53 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jfiling wrote: My favorite is still a big bowl of red, but plenty of other people like to have their chili topping some form of starchy food.

Yes. That's why the Lord created rice. Simple, good old fashion white rice.

Skyline Chili is the love child of Mike Brown and Marge Schott.

Ugghhh....

Reset the clock for this month. I can't eat it now.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby stonepm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

hebner20 wrote:Is this a "great" one? Obviously a matter of taste. This is very similar to what you would get at Wendy's - except better due to ability to customize.

1 medium onion diced

good luck.

I made a similar recipe to this last weekend except I used goose breast. It was pretty tasty. I just parboiled the breast in some onion soup mix and then shredded it. Hint:put it in a food processor or it takes forever. It wis nice to find something else to do with goose cuz personally I think it tastes like crap.
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:45 pm

I hate kidney beans, so I tend to use black beans when I make chili.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:47 pm

stonepm wrote:
I made a similar recipe to this last weekend except I used goose breast. It was pretty tasty. I just parboiled the breast in some onion soup mix and then shredded it. Hint:put it in a food processor or it takes forever. It wis nice to find something else to do with goose cuz personally I think it tastes like crap.

Agree on goose. Duck too for that matter if it's duck other than farm raised. Bout the only thing I like either in is a spaghetti sauce. Otherwise, to me, they taste like what they eat.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
stonepm wrote:

Agree on goose. Duck too for that matter if it's duck other than farm raised. Bout the only thing I like either in is a spaghetti sauce. Otherwise, to me, they taste like what they eat.

Duck works really well in gumbo, FWIW.
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Made some yesterday. It was really overcast with a slow drizzle all day. Who cares that it was 75 degrees? Cranked the AC colder, had football on the tube and when you looked outside you thought it was November in Cleveland.

Makes about 6 quarts

3 pounds stew meat or chili grind gound beef. I prefer chunky instead of just regular hamburger meat. can also us a combo of stew meat and ground meat.
2 large onions chopped
1 green pepper diced
2 jalapeno peppers diced (depends on the heat you want - less spicy if you remove the seeds)
4 cloves garlic minced
About 4 plus tablespoons dark chili powder
About 2 plus tablespoons ground cumin
About 1 plus tablespoon oregano
1 32 oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can Ro*Tel chil fixins (or any Ro*Tel canned tomato-chilies product)
Half a small can of tomato paste
1 carton (26 oz) Swanson beef broth
1 bottle beer of choice
Beans optional and up to you. I use pinto beans. Drain and rinse them first.

Need a large pot. I use an 8qt enabled cast iron one. Heat a little oil (bacon fat works well also) in the pot over meduim heat. Salt and pepper the meat and brown in small batches so it actually gets "browned" instead of just gray. This might take 3 or 4 batches. After each batch is browned remove to a bowl but do not drain. You might need to add a little more oil before the next batch. Once all the meat is browned and set aside, and using the same pot, throw in the onions, peppers, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute 5 minutes and scrape up any browned meat bits off the bottom of the pot. Return the meat and all the juices to the pot. Add the spices and stir for 30 seconds. Add all the liquid ingredients and tomato paste. Turn heat down to a gentle simmer and cook at least 90 minutes, covered or uncovered, up to you, depending on desired thickness. Add beans near the end so they don't get too mushy.
mattvan1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:15 pm

2 pounds lean stew beef
1 pound Trader Joe's chicken breakfast sauasage
2 green, 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 orange bell peppers
2 white onions
1 box TJ's heirloom tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 box TJ's tomato soup
1 avocado
1 bar TJ's 72% dark chocolate
1/2 pound english coastal cheddar (any very sharp cheddar will work)
4 cans TJ's hatch green chilis
1 can pinto, 1 kidney, 1 black beans
16 oz aoxo's IPA
Vegetable oil (to cook meat)
Cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, salt
Chicken and beef bouillon cubes

Start by cooking stew meat in large chili pot. Split it in half to cook faster, and use as much vegetable oil as you need to cook the meat. Do the sausage the same way after cutting into bite sized pieces. Save the meat in a bowl to add back later.

While this is cooking, cut up your bell peppers and onions. Use a blender or food processor and purify along with heirloom tomatoes.

When done cooking meat, deglaze pot with IPA (drink some too if you want). Then add purified vegatables. Add in your canned tomatoes, beans, hatch chilis, and tomato soup. Cut the avocado into bite sized pieces. Dump the meat in. Break the chocolate into small pieces and add. Slice the cheese and add half of it, saving the rest to top the final product. Add the bouillon cubes. Add a generous amount of cumin and salt, a very generous amount of chili powder (I usually add an entire ~16 oz container and then additional to taste, but I like to get a runny nose when eating), just a little cinnamon, and the cayenne, garlic powder, and crushed red to taste. Cook for as long as you can, adding water as necessary.

Feast, freezing a large amount for future meals.
aoxo1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm

No beans.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
stonepm wrote:

My fav?

When I come across a road kill, I like to stop and pick it up if it is a racoon. Then I flay it and cut it into thin strips and make scallapini with a hint of marsala on it.

I'd never use Opossum however. Nope. Not I.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:14 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:

I hate kidney beans, so I tend to use black beans when I make chili.

Good call.

Ever try pinto beans? Just don't hit them from behind or they blow up and your chilli is on fire. No,m seriously, I dig into beans in chiili.
jb

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
stonepm wrote:

My fav?

When I come across a road kill, I like to stop and pick it up if it is a racoon. Then I flay it and cut it into thin strips and make scallapini with a hint of marsala on it.

I get to eat roadkill chili at least once a year...

My guys usually find 1 or 2 every season that get freshly squashed while we are working at a client's house...

They scrape it up, put it in our Igloo on ice and bring in a crock pot of it the next day...

Squirrel's good, Tomcat's bad
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:04 pm

waborat wrote:
JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
stonepm wrote:

My fav?

I get to eat roadkill chili at least once a year...

My guys usually find 1 or 2 every season that get freshly squashed while we are working at a client's house...

They scrape it up, put it in our Igloo on ice and bring in a crock pot of it the next day...

Squirrel's good, Tomcat's bad

Is there a "juts shaking its head emoticon" ?

WTF is wrong with you people?

Grocery stores dammit.

Tomcat? Really?

Yeah, I giess that's btter in general tsao's than chilli.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:48 pm

got room for a chile recipe opposed to a chili? Ever since moving out west I have become obsessed with the stuff. Was at the store yesterday and I saw the first round of Hatch Green Chiles, of course I couldnt pass it up. Last year I found a recipe that I wasnt totally happy with so I revised it to my liking. I would think at worst Whole Foods around you guys will have them, not sure about the Giant Eagle and Heinen types. They arent that expense at WF anyway, a buck a pound for unroasted, 2.99/lb for pre-roasted (if they have a roaster). May I suggest if you have to roast them yourself do it low and slow and do not completely char it like you would with a red bell pepper. Be gentle with them because if you cook it too much you will likely cook the meat of the pepper too much and basically burn it off. I learned the hard way yesterday when making this. Roasted 5 lbs and wasted about 80% of it because of this. Had to send the wife out to pick me up some of the ones roasted by WF. If all else fails and you dont feel like roasting I think you should be able to find some pre-roasted and peeled in the freezer section of most grocery stores.

Ok so back to the recipe.

2lbs of pork. I used tenderloin last year, used pork loin roast this year.
Cube the pork, throw it in a pot with olive oil and brown it.
Drain it

More olive oil, 2 medium onions, 5 cloves of garlic and dump the pork back in.
Add 2 of those box things of broth/stock (not sure the size, the normal ones)

Let that simmer for about an hour covered

After an hour, now time for some spice and others
1 jar of green salsa, your choice
2 jalapenos, you pick the heat. I used one whole and took the ribs and seeds out of the other and it was still medium heat. My wife is a wuss and wouldnt eat it if it was too spicy. If it was only for me I'd put both whole in.

Spices
1 tbl cumin, more to taste
1 tbl chili powder, more to taste
1 tbl celery salt, more to taste
1 tbl oregano, more to taste
one bunch of cilantro, more to taste, I love it, I used 2.
Salt and pepper to taste.

1 tbl spoon of flour (mix with water first so it doesnt clump)

let simmer for another hour to an hour and a half covered

After that take your peeled chiles (probably about 3 pounds is what you want), take half and put them in the food processor and pulse it until they are minced. Take the other half and just chop them to your preference of size.

Simmer until pork is tender covered. At the end I put in a little of the jalapeno tabasco, but it is good with out it as well.

I should add that if you want it more soupy add water, if you want it thicker try some more flour or simmering with the lid off

Eat straight up, on enchiladas, burgers, eggs, etc.

Making enchiladas tonight, cant wait. Slapped it on some burgers last night with cream cheese and green chile strips. Trust me it is great that way.

Would love to hear if anyone actually makes it, or if you even seen Hatch Chiles out that way. They are only available fresh from mid August to October.
Last edited by Ziner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Z, when I saw that you'd revived this thread I knew it'd be about Hatch chiles. Thanks for the recipe, going to have to try it.

If you haven't yet, see if you can find some pepper jack cheese out that way that's got the Hatch chiles in it. Amazing.
exiledbuckeye

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 pm

haha, I have been looking forward to them coming back since October last year. It is my new sign of fall. I would imagine they have some pretty darn good green chile down in your area. I can't get enough of the stuff. I am sure the WF's around you are roasting them, I think I have roasted my own for the last time, they have that cool tumbler that I think is the secret. My grill didnt work as well, if I were you and going to try it take that route.

Let me know you like it if you give it a try. Need a long weekend day to let it simmer enough.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 pm

You can get them in all the grocery stores here, not just Whole Paycheck, so that's nice. Definitely plan on trying your recipe, maybe in late Sept. or October before the end of the season, when it's not 110 degrees here. Can't stand the thought of having a hot kitchen right now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get around to it.
exiledbuckeye

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:14 am

There are a bunch of sites on the internet where you can get these delivered anywhere in the country, packed in dry ice. Green chile has to be prepared ASAP after picking, or refrigerated/frozen, so spring for the frozen and not the fresh if you want some.

Be warned, though: this is highly addictive.

Z, you ought to buy a shitload and prepare it all at once, then just freeze what you aren't using right away.
aoxo1

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:18 am

aoxo1 wrote:There are a bunch of sites on the internet where you can get these delivered anywhere in the country, packed in dry ice. Green chile has to be prepared ASAP after picking, or refrigerated/frozen, so spring for the frozen and not the fresh if you want some.

Good advice, I never thought to do that, I usually just go with the fresh and hit up a restaurant in the off season

aoxo1 wrote:Be warned, though: this is highly addictive.

Absolute truth

aoxo1 wrote:Z, you ought to buy a shitload and prepare it all at once, then just freeze what you aren't using right away.

Yeah I am thinking on sunday while football is on I will be doing a huge pot. I wanted to work on the recipe I used last year. The recipe I followed left it not soupy at all and very thick and salty. This was my test batch. I think it came out great so I will be following this one, wouldnt want a few gallons of something that sucked.

You going to give it a try? I am interested in hearing others opinions on it.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Nah, too expensive to get the green chili out here. I know a few other people who have lived in NM and we talk about splitting an order once in a while, but never follow through.

On the actual chili front, I got a big ol' grass fed tri tip yesterday and started some chili this morning. Tri tip is the king for making chili, as I've learned since I moved to Cali. Never heard of it before, but it's great.
aoxo1

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 am

aoxo1 wrote:Nah, too expensive to get the green chili out here. I know a few other people who have lived in NM and we talk about splitting an order once in a while, but never follow through.

On the actual chili front, I got a big ol' grass fed tri tip yesterday and started some chili this morning. Tri tip is the king for making chili, as I've learned since I moved to Cali. Never heard of it before, but it's great.

Holy crap, I cant believe they are that expensive, I just googled it. I could overnight a frozen cooler full a lot cheaper than that, if you really want them.

Tri tip is amazing. I can't believe Cali keeps that such a secret. Never heard of it until I went to Santa Barbara for a wedding and ate it in 4 straight meals. Why waste your time with the chili, just make a sangwich! I saw some at WF the other day, I am going to get one and make myself some sandwiches here soon.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Well, I wanted some chili and a tri tip is too big to just make some sandwiches out of. It's a big cut.

Agree that tri tip sandwiches rule, though.

The other option is to smoke it, but that would have taken forever.
aoxo1

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Ziner wrote:got room for a chile recipe opposed to a chili? Ever since moving out west I have become obsessed with the stuff. Was at the store yesterday and I saw the first round of Hatch Green Chiles, of course I couldnt pass it up. Last year I found a recipe that I wasnt totally happy with so I revised it to my liking. I would think at worst Whole Foods around you guys will have them, not sure about the Giant Eagle and Heinen types. They arent that expense at WF anyway, a buck a pound for unroasted, 2.99/lb for pre-roasted (if they have a roaster). May I suggest if you have to roast them yourself do it low and slow and do not completely char it like you would with a red bell pepper. Be gentle with them because if you cook it too much you will likely cook the meat of the pepper too much and basically burn it off. I learned the hard way yesterday when making this. Roasted 5 lbs and wasted about 80% of it because of this. Had to send the wife out to pick me up some of the ones roasted by WF. If all else fails and you dont feel like roasting I think you should be able to find some pre-roasted and peeled in the freezer section of most grocery stores.

Ok so back to the recipe.

2lbs of pork. I used tenderloin last year, used pork loin roast this year.
Cube the pork, throw it in a pot with olive oil and brown it.
Drain it

More olive oil, 2 medium onions, 5 cloves of garlic and dump the pork back in.
Add 2 of those box things of broth/stock (not sure the size, the normal ones)

Let that simmer for about an hour covered

After an hour, now time for some spice and others
1 jar of green salsa, your choice
2 jalapenos, you pick the heat. I used one whole and took the ribs and seeds out of the other and it was still medium heat. My wife is a wuss and wouldnt eat it if it was too spicy. If it was only for me I'd put both whole in.

Spices
1 tbl cumin, more to taste
1 tbl chili powder, more to taste
1 tbl celery salt, more to taste
1 tbl oregano, more to taste
one bunch of cilantro, more to taste, I love it, I used 2.
Salt and pepper to taste.

1 tbl spoon of flour (mix with water first so it doesnt clump)

let simmer for another hour to an hour and a half covered

After that take your peeled chiles (probably about 3 pounds is what you want), take half and put them in the food processor and pulse it until they are minced. Take the other half and just chop them to your preference of size.

Simmer until pork is tender covered. At the end I put in a little of the jalapeno tabasco, but it is good with out it as well.

I should add that if you want it more soupy add water, if you want it thicker try some more flour or simmering with the lid off

Eat straight up, on enchiladas, burgers, eggs, etc.

Making enchiladas tonight, cant wait. Slapped it on some burgers last night with cream cheese and green chile strips. Trust me it is great that way.

Would love to hear if anyone actually makes it, or if you even seen Hatch Chiles out that way. They are only available fresh from mid August to October.

Really excited about this recipe Ziner, I'm going to order some green chilles and try it out.

Do you use mild Gr Chilles?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Nah, too expensive to get the green chili out here. I know a few other people who have lived in NM and we talk about splitting an order once in a while, but never follow through.

How do you prepare the Tri-tip for this chilli?
JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

JCoz wrote:
Really excited about this recipe Ziner, I'm going to order some green chilles and try it out.

I used medium I believe, but you could always amp up the heat to where you want it with the Cayenne or Jalapenos. Before you order them you may want to make a trip to a Whole Foods. The one here carries them year round in the frozen food section. They are vaccum sealed and already peeled and chopped. Probably cheaper and certainly easier. The Wal-mart near me carries them too in the frozen foods, but I am guessing that is only because there is a significantly higher hispanic population here than in NEO. Could always look though. I remember googling them and ordering them is not as cheap as I would have though.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Ziner wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I used medium I believe, but you could always amp up the heat to where you want it with the Cayenne or Jalapenos. Before you order them you may want to make a trip to a Whole Foods. The one here carries them year round in the frozen food section. They are vaccum sealed and already peeled and chopped. Probably cheaper and certainly easier. The Wal-mart near me carries them too in the frozen foods, but I am guessing that is only because there is a significantly higher hispanic population here than in NEO. Could always look though. I remember googling them and ordering them is not as cheap as I would have though.

No MFing green chiles anywhere. 2 Whole Foods, a Harris Teeter, and a regular grocery store in an area with a decent sized latino population...no dice.

Just saw this thread about 3 months too late, now I have to wait it out.
JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm

You should call up a WF and see if they can get you some. Maybe they can order them fron another store.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 pm

There is no such thing as "green chillis".

There are such things as poblanos, anaheims, hungarian, banannas, jalapenos.....

sayin'.

Roast 'em, till black, put em in a paper lucnh bag to cool, peel skins, get rid of seeds, chop, and go to town. Easy technique.

And F yeah, if there no chillis it ain't chilli.

Need chipotle powder and ancho powder, too.

Secret to good chilli is also mesa flower.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:31 pm

jb wrote:There is no such thing as "green chillis".

There are such things as poblanos, anaheims, hungarian, banannas, jalapenos.....

sayin'.

Roast 'em, till black, put em in a paper lucnh bag to cool, peel skins, get rid of seeds, chop, and go to town. Easy technique.

And F yeah, if there no chillis it ain't chilli.

Need chipotle powder and ancho powder, too.

Secret to good chilli is also mesa flower.

I think you are mistaken JB. There certainly are "green chiles" as it related to this type of food.

Greeen Chiles, if I understand it correctly, are mostly New Mexic or Hatch chiles which are picked when green.

I don't think any of these generally apply to green Chiles...

JCoz

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:26 pm

J Coz, "I know more about chillis that you do. Much more in fact." To coin a phrase.

:lmfao:

(Don't get pissed if you don't recognize.)

( I know they's picked green and either dried/cured red or uncured green, but any "green chillis" in the generic sense hangin' in Zman's farm market isn't the El Coocaracha "green chillis" in da can in ur local super wallmart in Zanesville. My only real point...)
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:54 pm

jb wrote:( I know they's picked green and either dried/cured red or uncured green, but any "green chillis" in the generic sense hangin' in Zman's farm market isn't the El Coocaracha "green chillis" in da can in ur local super wallmart in Zanesville. My only real point...)

I don't really care if you do or don't, doesn't make sense of your post in any way shape or form.

There isn't a real way to draw a direct line from your last post to your second last. They are completely different posts.

There is no such thing as "green chillis".

Maybe it sounded different in your head the first time.

Either way, there are in fact, green chiles, in the same respect that there are green tomatoes.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:54 pm

I like banana peppers.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:30 am

Bump. It's Hatch chile season again so I'm going to try Ziner's recipe on Sunday with some pork shoulder. Picked up a few pounds of roasted chiles at the grocery store last night. Figure I've gotta try it now since I'm moving out of Texas next month and might not have such easy access to the Hatch chiles in the future.
exiledbuckeye

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am

Been keeping my eye out and have yet to see them. I am making a huge pot this year. Can't wait, been growing jalapenos and Habeneros in the garden this year in anticipation. Hope the recipe turns out well for you exiled. Good call on the pork shoulder, came out way better than Tenderloin.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Made it last night, and it's goddamn fantastic.

I only ended up using about a pound of pre-roasted chiles. I may just be a wuss, but it was fairly spicy at that point. Mine had the ribs and seeds still in it, so I don't know if that's different than your original recipe.

Also I strayed a bit from the original recipe. Cooked the onions and garlic for a few minutes first, then threw in the pork to cook with it. Didn't drain it at all, wanted to keep all of the flavor in. Also used green tomatillo salsa.
exiledbuckeye

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry