Text Size

The Rumble Room

Mayweather Returning To Fight Juan Manuel

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Mayweather Returning To Fight Juan Manuel

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Just saw it on the ESPN bottom line. July.

Great news for fight fans.

'09 shaping up to potentially be one of the best years ever for boxing.

Couple great fights already in the books. Pac Man/Hit Man tomorrow. Haye/Klitschko. Decent chances to see Pavlik/Abraham, Juan Manuel Lopez/Vasquez. Sugar Shane and BHop still out there.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Mayweather Returning To Fight Juan Manuel

Unread postby Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am

If this deal gets finalized, and it looks like it will, Floyd's 0 will go.
This fight will be a classic, 2 of the best fighters I have ever seen from a technical standpoint.
A true Super Fight, the best fight in the last 5 to 10 years on paper.

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Marquez +290!

Insane. Yes, Mayweather has earned the right to be favored over anyone he fights. But a -350 favorite?

Jumped all over Juan Manuel at that price. He'll be down to +220 by fight time.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Mayweather - still an unbearable prick.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sun May 03, 2009 1:03 am

Swerb wrote:Marquez +290!

Insane. Yes, Mayweather has earned the right to be favored over anyone he fights. But a -350 favorite?

I am not a gambler. What does it mean when somebody is a -350 favorite?........or Marquez +290. I understand odds in horse racing and the NFL lines each week but don't think i've ever had these explained to me.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 03, 2009 7:36 am

idoctribefan wrote:
Swerb wrote:Marquez +290!

I am not a gambler. What does it mean when somebody is a -350 favorite?........or Marquez +290. I understand odds in horse racing and the NFL lines each week but don't think i've ever had these explained to me.

-350 means you have to bet $350 on Mayweather to win $100. If you bet $100 on him to win, you would win about $30. Conversely, if you bet $100 on Marquez to win, you would win $290. Baseball odds are the exact same way.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 am

When you are as good as "Money" Mayweather, you can be a prick I guess.
He's awesome, so skilled and fun to watch. A defensive wizard, that sets him apart from any fighter walking the earth.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 pm

DelaHoya lays out the argument why Juan Manuel can win this fight:

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1030/de_la_h ... ayweather/

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:57 pm

My god ... anyone see Juan Manuel drinking his own urine on 24/7 after his training sessions? Sweet Jesus.

Claims it has "worked for him the last 5-6 fights", and that "your urine contains a lot of the vitamins and nutrients that leave your body, and that it makes sense to take them back in".

Wasn't ready for that.

Can't wait for this fight though.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby XUDawg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 am

Lyoto Machida, MMA light heavyweight king, also drinks his own urine.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Undercard LOADED for this one Saturday night.

Can. Not. Wait.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Mayweather doesn't make weight. Juan Manuel agrees to go on with the fight for a slightly bigger payday.

Not gonna help his chanches though. Juan Manuel is a lightweight. Floyd weighed in at 146, likely comes into the ring well above the welterweight limit of 147.

Two of the smartest fighters I've seen in my lifetime. Two of the greatest fighters I've seen in my lifetime. Should be a fun one tomorrow night. JMM will have to be perfect to beat Floyd.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 am

Mayweather is such a chicken shit cherry picking piece of shit.

Had this all set up 6 months ago. Fight a guy who looked good on paper. Smaller guy. Knew from day one he was gonna come in over the catch weight, and that his opponent would never turn down, by far, the biggest payday of his career and cancel the fight ... which was within his right.

So Juan Manuel took his 600k lay down money, took his ass beating. Mayweather looked 20 lbs heavier than him. Fight was over the second those two looked each other eye to eye before the fight.

Big ups to Kellerman for calling Floyd out as the pussy piece of shit he is after the fight. And typical Floyd, refusing to talk about it. Just like he refused to be weighed the day of the fight.

Mayweather may be 40-0. He may be one of the most talented fighters of my lifetime. But he will never get the respect fo me, never get the respect of true knowledgable fight fans. Pussy will only take fights he knows he can win. Roy Jones redux.

What a disgrace. Big thanks to the HBO PPV crew for exposing Floyd as what he is tonight.

F you Floyd.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Rusty » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 am

I was going to say pretty much exactly what Swerb said.

Time for Floyd to contact Nate Campbell's team next. He's smaller, older, has a name, and most importantly of all, brings a guaranteed victory to the table. Perfect opponent.

This guy is a total disgrace to the sport.

F that pussy.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby Guest » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 am

Disgrace to the sport aka the best boxer of our generation.

Who is really to blame here?
Wouldn't that be the fault of the guys who put the contract together? Golden Boy?
They aren't that good for the sport. See Juan Diaz and that bullshit decision he got.
How about those two clowns Hopkins and Mosley trying to get in on the post fight interview, 2 Golden Boy puppets.

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:04 am

I was at a fb game last night and didn't get to catch the fight. How did the score card look? JMM take any rounds at all or just steady domination by Mayweather?

I guess now we wait for Cotto/Pac Man and see if Mayweather has the stones to take the winner. That's what everyone wants to see, but it's going to be a bit of a logistical hurdle to make everyone happy with the terms. Interesting times lay ahead.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:33 am

I haven't watched a PPV in a long time, but I would give anything to see Mosley/Mayweather. I love Sugar.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Scumbag.

Give me a Cleveland sports title. And let me see someone beat this punk's ass. Then I can die happy.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 am

Cotto has the best chance to beat him.
Mayweather destroys either Pacquiao or Mosley.

Everyone now says Mayweather was too big for Marquez, after the beatdown.
Just imagine what he would do to Manny.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 am

FightDr wrote:Cotto has the best chance to beat him.
Mayweather destroys either Pacquiao or Mosley.

Everyone now says Mayweather was too big for Marquez, after the beatdown.
Just imagine what he would do to Manny.

He destroys Mosely. Maybe not literally, but wins on points handily.

He fights Manny at 140-143 ... and actually makes weight for this fight instead of buying a victory for 600k by cheating, Pac Man can beat him.

Big difference fighting a guy you actually weigh the same as. JMM was 142 for that fight last Sat. Mayweather was 160. At least. He better have dominated him. I laugh at all the people that act like it was some big accomplishment him pawing away a guy 20 pounds lighter than him for 12 rounds. Very impressive. You call that a "beatdown"? Wasn't a mark on JMM's face after getting hit for an hour straight by a guy who cheated to come in 20 pounds heavier. Pacquiao hits harder. Ask Hatton and Delahoya. Or just look at their faces after the fights.

Mayweather is a little bitch. If he fought Marquez outside the arena without gloves on, I'd put everything I own on Marquez.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 am

Outside the arena without gloves on?
Ignorant reply.
Wow.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:21 am

FightDr wrote:Outside the arena without gloves on?
Ignorant reply.
Wow.

Almost as ignorant as your reply that Mayweather "gave Marquez a beatdown" despite not marking his face as a 20 lbs heavier fighter. Real tough guy.

Its a shame Mayweather will never fight anyone he knows has a chance to hurt him. Cause he's the type that would quit on his stool the first time he ate a couple hard punches. And yes, he fought Marquez in a street fight, he'd lose. He ever went into MMA, he'd be embarrased and bloodied. Of course, he never will. Like Roy Jones, only takes fights he is 100% guaranteed to win, and not get hurt in.

Funniest part is, Mayweather has people like you fooled. Beating your chest about how great he is after that mockery of a fight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 am

I'm still waiting for you tell me who he should fight that he hasn't yet. It's been a few days now, you haven't thought of anyone yet?
Winning every round sounds like a beatdown to me.
Why the fuck would Mayweather fight mma?
How many boxers would win an mma fight?

You always talk about Hopkins and where he is on pound for pound rankings. Mayweather was #1 EVERYWHERE before he took 2 years off. I'm the only guy fooled.
I love it.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am

FightDr wrote:I'm still waiting for you tell me who he should fight that he hasn't yet. It's been a few days now, you haven't thought of anyone yet?
Winning every round sounds like a beatdown to me.
Why the fuck would Mayweather fight mma?
How many boxers would win an mma fight?

You always talk about Hopkins and where he is on pound for pound rankings. Mayweather was #1 EVERYWHERE before he took 2 years off. I'm the only guy fooled.
I love it.

You really call that a beatdown? A call it a boring one sided decision. A beat down is when someone gets beat down. Not pawed at buy a guy 20 lbs heavier.

He would never fight MMA, like I said. Because he's afraid to get hit.

If Mayweather had a pair, he'd fight a guy like Paul Williams. Cotto even. Pacquiao at 142. He won't though.

He'll fight Sugar Shane. He'll refuse to go below 145 to fight Manny and demand like 75% of the purse so he gets out of that fight. And then blame Pacquiao.

And yes, he has you fooled. Sad, really.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am

Mayweather stinks, you're right. No talent pussy.
I want to know why you think he should fight mma? How many guys at his level, or any level really, are making that move? A ton right?

I want to see Mayweather Cotto, it would be a great fight, probably the best fight out there.
I'm pretty sure Williams is tied up getting ready for your #1 pound for pound guy in Pavlik, let's go $50 on that fight also???
You talk about Mayweather fighting smaller guys and dogging him but your answer is for him to fight Williams, a guy that's next fight will be at 160. Strange.

Floyd hasn't fought under 145 since 2005 by the way.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 am

Never said Mayweather had no talent. He is a pussy though.

Williams would come down to 147 to fight him and you know it. And if Mayweather truly wanted to prove to people he's the best, he would agree to fight Manny at, say, 142. He agreed to fight JMM at 144. Not a huge reach.

He won't though, and you know it. He'll use the weight and the money issue to run and hide from Pacquiao. Cause he knows Pac Man could beat him if they weighed roughly the same weight, and he wasn't allowed to cheat like he did in the JMM farce.

And I'll bet you $50 on the Pavlik/Williams fight. Now there's a fighter that won't run and hide from tough fights like some little girl.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 am

So now you want the pussy to fight at 147 vs Williams, 142 or below against Manny and to mix in some mma?

I don't think Arum lets Manny/Cotto fight Mayweather.
I also think Cotto beats Manny.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 am

FightDr wrote:So now you want the pussy to fight at 147 vs Williams, 142 or below against Manny and to mix in some mma?

I don't think Arum lets Manny/Cotto fight Mayweather.
I also think Cotto beats Manny.

I just want him to fight one fight, for the first time in his career, where he's not a -400 favorite. One fight, ever, where it's not against a cherry picked opponent that can't hurt him. 147 is his weight. Williams would gladly come down to it to fight him. That's asking too much? He fought JMM at 144. But 142 is an outlandish request?

Just one fight against someone that is a challenge. That too much to ask?

Guess so.

We look at fighters differently. No need to argue it any more. I respect guys that take tough fights, challenge themselves. Always push themselves to the limit. Don't hide from tough fights, cherry pick opponents, and use money as an excuse not to make tough fights.

Those are the guys I respect. We just have a big difference there. It's all good cuz.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 am

"The only thing that can kill boxing is boxing itself, guys like Floyd Mayweather. In the ring, he shrugs his shoulders and throws three punches a round. That is not entertainment. That's bullshit. Luckily, there aren't a lot of Mayweather's out there."

Bob Arum- ESPN the Magazine, Sep 21, 2009 Edition

Now, thankfully that aren't a lot of Bob Arums either, but I think he's right in regard to Mayweather. When's the last time he fought when he wasn't simply bigger, stronger, faster than his overmatched opponent. Not entirely his fault. But dull as hell.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:47 am

You bust my balls on Roy Jones Jr all the time, hard to find too many that say he isn't one of the best of our time.
Floyd is in that same class, yet the boxing guru that you are, think they both are average and have never fought anyone.
Floyd would probably be -300 against Manny.
I would favor Williams over ANYBODY from 147 to 160, including Floyd.
Every boxer at one point or another has bitched about money or not taken a fight because of it.
You respect guys you like and that's okay.

Mayweather is dull if your don't appreciate defense in boxing. I love defensive fighters and Floyd is the best I have ever seen.
And nobody out there is faster than him. NOBODY.

Unread postby XUDawg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 am

FightDr wrote:So now you want the pussy to fight at 147 vs Williams, 142 or below against Manny and to mix in some mma?

This is what I don't understand about boxing, and why I love MMA. Why is a five pound weight fluctuation a big deal for a superfight? If the guy who is in a weight class five pounds above the lighter fighter always wins, then why should anybody give a damn about the sport?

If Mayweather is the best, he should be able to beat the number 1 guy in the weight class above him. And he should be able to handle the weight cut to beat the guy the weight class below him. We are talking about a few pounds. It's not like it's fifteen or twenty like MMA. Weight shouldn't be a big deal, as long as it's within 8-10 pounds.

It seems like managers protect boxers so much, and boxing has deluded weight classes so much, that fans have forgotten that a transcendant boxing talent should be expected to transcend. And fighting a guy that weighs five pounds more than you or cutting five extra pounds to cut to the lighter guy's weight doesn't even begin to qualify as transcendant. It is just slightly challenging. It should be a given.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:11 am

FightDr wrote:You bust my balls on Roy Jones Jr all the time, hard to find too many that say he isn't one of the best of our time.
Floyd is in that same class, yet the boxing guru that you are, think they both are average and have never fought anyone.
Floyd would probably be -300 against Manny.
I would favor Williams over ANYBODY from 147 to 160, including Floyd.
Every boxer at one point or another has bitched about money or not taken a fight because of it.
You respect guys you like and that's okay.

Mayweather is dull if your don't appreciate defense in boxing. I love defensive fighters and Floyd is the best I have ever seen.
And nobody out there is faster than him. NOBODY.

You can respect the speed and defense and still not enjoy watching his fights though Spoon. Arum was speaking as to the state of boxing and his thoughts that boxing desperately needs to get back to a major network to draw more casual fans. Floyd's style doesn't create the excitement that causes casual fans like me to tune in.

His skill is indisputable IMO. Just doesn't appeal to me or my PPV habits to watch him. Put him some legit jeopardy though and I'd tune in. Whether it be matchups in his own weight class or up and down.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:17 am

from Yahoo and Iole's mailbag, some good stuff here:

Aftermath of Mayweather’s win

How can Floyd Mayweather Jr. be considered pound-for-pound the best when he’s fighting smaller men and ducking men his size? Just because he beat Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday doesn’t mean he’s better than Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao and Marquez fought on even terms; Mayweather was just too big. Granted, I am a Pacquiao fan, but I think all three common opponents (Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Marquez) should be considered when comparing the men.
Arwin Sy
Singapore

Floyd Jr. is the most complete fighter in the game, Arwin. He best combines offense and defense, is incredibly difficult to hit and is a master tactician. Marquez didn’t look nearly as slow facing Pacquiao as he did against Mayweather, who put on a defensive clinic. Holding an opponent to a 12 percent connect ratio is like an NBA team holding its opponent to 42 points. And holding a guy to just 21 jabs landed in a bout in which he came in with the plan of jabbing a lot is mind-blowing. No question, Pacquiao beat De La Hoya and Hatton more decisively. And while I have great respect for Manny and believe he’s come a long way, he doesn’t have the overall game in my opinion to beat Floyd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your column on Mayweather’s win is exactly why boxing is quickly becoming the second choice for fight fans. Your assertion that Floyd “would beat Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley or anyone else whose name was mentioned as potential opponents Saturday,” is boxing’s idiotic way of thinking. You may very well be right (and we all know he won’t fight all three of those fighters because Floyd is now a promoter first, fighter second) but promoters’ and columnists’ beliefs that fights aren’t worthwhile because they are apparently fought on paper is why people are starting to stop caring. Yes, Manny fought Marquez in a pair of close fights (one a draw, one a split decision), but your current-events mindset neglected to mention that Manny destroyed both Oscar and Hatton in exponentially greater fashion than Floyd did. Apparently, Floyd is the best fighter in the world again by beating a man who moved up 10 pounds more than his previous maximum weight (and Floyd didn’t even bother to cut the last two pounds). How is that impressive, even if Marquez is a pound-for-pound great? If he does that to a champion or legitimate contender in his own weight class (like the three you mentioned), he can be called the best. Until then, he just beat up an overmatched, lighter fighter. Why can’t boxers take on all comers, instead of hiding behind money and promoters? It is pathetic and growing old.
Adam Kampman
Waterloo, Iowa

I defy you to point to a spot in that column where I said the fights aren’t worth fighting. The opposite is true. I have called for a Mayweather-Cotto fight in the past, after Cotto had defeated Zab Judah. I agree that sometimes, media view the fight as a promoter or manager would and dismiss a fight for reasons that have nothing to do with the fact that it would be a great match. I want to see Mayweather fight those guys, as well as Paul Williams, among others. I think of Mosley, Pacquiao and Cotto, he will fight at least two of them. But I will agree that the sport would be in far better shape if the best fought the best on a regular basis. And that’s not just Mayweather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think Mayweather Jr. deserves to be the No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer even after he and Marquez put up one of the most boring fights ever?
Liro Mangubat
Manila, Philippines

Yes, I think he does. Mayweather is so good, Marquez couldn’t lure him into a toe-to-toe shootout. I don’t think size was that much of an issue in the fight, either. It’s not like Mayweather was knocking Marquez down like a bowling pin. It was his quickness, his lightning-fast hand speed, his ring awareness and his defense that won him that fight, not his size.

Hey Kevin, I think Floyd is completely right when he says he can’t win. If he beats Pacquiao, he beat a smaller guy. If he opts to fight Mosley or Cotto, he’s ducking the arguably more talented (than Mosley or Cotto) and pound-for-pound king in Pacquiao. Every expert has a different take on what would enhance Mayweather’s legacy more. Save a Paul Williams fight, who do you think is a better fight for Mayweather, and “for boxing?”
Benson Tran
Daly City, Calif.

The best fight for boxing would be a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. You’d have the two guys with the claim to No. 1 going at it. If Pacquiao defeats Cotto in November, then I’ll start a campaign for Mayweather-Pacquiao. If Cotto wins, though, I think a Mayweather-Mosley fight would be the one that should be made. But I would hope a Mayweather-Williams fight will be made, too. That would be the one I see as the most difficult for Floyd Jr.

A lot of people do not realize the true talent Floyd Mayweather has. He is a natural. Manny Pacquiao will not stand a chance against a defensive specialist. Floyd will knock him out only because Pac-man will make Floyd fight. The more pressure you put on Mayweather, the harder he fights, and he can take a punch. To be a great counter puncher, one must be able to take plenty of good hits. Pac-man is not good at defending counter punchers and speed sometimes frustrates him also. Mayweather just has too much skill for Pac-man and Shane Mosley. The only fighter out there who can give Mayweather any type of challenge is Paul Williams. He has a lot of advantages he really knows how to use that would bring the best that we all would love to see brought out of a boxing genius like Floyd.
Roy Royal
Youngstown, Ohio

I agree totally, Roy, with most everything you say. I don’t think it’s fair to say Williams is the only one who would present any type of challenge, but he would present the most difficult challenge.

Hi Kevin. I just wanted to say I appreciate your article. I am 25 and a full-time musician, but boxing is my passion. I have been boxing for a long time and still love it as much as ever. I must admit I love boxing in the true sense. Floyd Mayweather is one of the best ever. If you have some others in mind, I would like to check them out. I appreciate you giving Mayweather a fair shake. I feel like a lot of the media tries to make him the bad guy, which isn’t hard, and they don’t want to give him credit were it is due. I can’t agree with you that he isn’t a great fighter. Any time you are having punches thrown at you and you are throwing them back, well, my friend, that’s a fight. I know what you are saying, though. Maybe brawler would have been a better word. I believe one of Floyd’s biggest problems is that his skills really are on a different level than the other fighters. I would love to see him fight Pacman, Cotto, or Mosley. I really believe he would beat any of those candidates. Also, how come nobody even talks about the fact Mosley did steroids? If he were a baseball player it would be the topic of all conversation.
Andrew Palmer
Charlotte, N.C.

People say Floyd is boring because he hasn’t been in one of those fights like Hearns-Hagler or Ali-Frazier or Corrales-Castillo. But no one has forced him into a situation like that. He’s so good defensively that he’s able to deflate the tires of even the best opponents. As far as the steroids issue, Shane took them unknowingly (or so we’ve been led to believe). With no evidence to prove otherwise, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 am

Possibly 1.6 PPV buys.
"Money" can sell a fight.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/9/23/10 ... buys-could

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:22 am

FightDr wrote:You bust my balls on Roy Jones Jr all the time, hard to find too many that say he isn't one of the best of our time.
Floyd is in that same class, yet the boxing guru that you are, think they both are average.

I have never said Floyd or Roy are average. Ever. It would be an assinine statement. I've never said they're not talented. Not sure where you are getting this from. They are two of the most naturally talented fighters I've seen in my lifetime.

That's what makes it SO disappointing that these two cowards refused to take tough fights their entire careers.

If I made a list of the most talented fighters ever, they'd both be near the top. They both could have been atop the greatest fighter of all time lists as well. They just refused to prove it.

Arum is dead nuts on the money. As usual.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 am

FightDr wrote:Possibly 1.6 PPV buys.
"Money" can sell a fight.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/9/23/10 ... buys-could

Good for him. That's all that matters to him anyway. Now the scumbag can pay his back taxes. A lot of stupid people out there that he fooled. I'm one of em.

All you need to do cuz is listen to all the comments made my Lampley, Kellerman, and Merchant after the fight. Talking about what a joke that fight was, what a farce. Who's right? Them or you?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 am

Dead nuts on the money, as usual?
Did you see this interview with that ignorant fuck?
He's a piece of shit.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15267

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 am

FightDr wrote:Dead nuts on the money, as usual?
Did you see this interview with that ignorant fuck?
He's a piece of shit.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15267

He knows how to sell a fight. And he's rich. You should love him.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:38 am

He's a prick, met him in person on a few occasions.
He's never fought anyone, you should think he's a pussy.
He won't let Manny/Cotto fight Floyd either, just to let you know that now.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

FightDr wrote:http://compuboxonline.com/news.php?news=Mayweather-Marquez_Stats&news_id=9&start=0&category_id=7&parent_id=7&arcyear=Y&arcmonth=M

Very impressive for a middleweight fighting a lightweight. I took my four year old son down last night in the living room after dinner. Pinned him in under 30 seconds. Was a total mismatch. Want the stats for that one too?

Keep beating your chest about that manly win for Floyd. He's a real tough guy. Heard he's calling out Marquez's brother to come up from super flyweight next.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am

This thread ended up being a precursor for the rest of the board (ie - eye vs Bill, JB and peek, etc). Two different takes altogether, both passionate as shit about your stand. This thread has been the hidden gem on this site lately
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:43 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:This thread ended up being a precursor for the rest of the board (ie - eye vs Bill, JB and peek, etc). Two different takes altogether, both passionate as shit about your stand. This thread has been the hidden gem on this site lately

It always is. But it's kind of like boxing itself because not enough people look at it.

I need to jack the intensity up in here to take the heat off that thread where I tried to politely discuss next year's draft with Mr. Barrett.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 am

You were pumped for the fight, look at your first post. You also bet on Marquez. Now I see why you're bitter.

Are you really telling me those stats aren't impressive? Nicholas probably landed some shots on you in that 30 seconds before you sat on him.
Marquez couldn't land shit. The defense of Floyd is amazing, I don't give a fuck who he's fighting.

Look at what Manny did to Oscar, there was a pretty big difference there no?

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am

FightDr wrote:You were pumped for the fight, look at your first post. You also bet on Marquez. Now I see why you're bitter.

Are you really telling me those stats aren't impressive? Nicholas probably landed some shots on you in that 30 seconds before you sat on him.
Marquez couldn't land shit. The defense of Floyd is amazing, I don't give a fuck who he's fighting.

Look at what Manny did to Oscar, there was a pretty big difference there no?

I'm not impressed at all. He fought a man 20 lbs lighter than him. Marquez looked like a midget next to him. If you were really that blown away impressed by that piece of shit performance against a little midget that could barely reach his face with his fists, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

And Floyd couldn't even hurt him. Not one mark on JMM's face.

Floyd is a cherry picking little bitch. And he will continue to be. Cause he can continue to fool fans like you.

Thankfully, the HBO announcers got the balls to tell it like it is and, unlike you, were willing to expose Floyd as the fraud that he is. To all 1.6 million homes that ordered the pay per view.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Why were you pumped for the fight when it was announced then?
Why did you buy the pay per view?

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:05 pm

FightDr wrote:Why were you pumped for the fight when it was announced then?
Why did you buy the pay per view?

Uhhhhhh ... because I THOUGHT THE TWO FIGHTERS WOULD BE FIGHTING AT THE SAME WEIGHT?

You know, like all other fights? Where the fighters actually have to make weight the day before? And can't buy their way into a mismatch?

You really needed that question answered?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Marquez weighed in 20 pounds lighter than Floyd?
You said he looked like a midget next to him? The weight difference did that?
You didn't know Marquez has been coming up in weight for his last few fights and was doing so again for this one?
The weigh in was Friday, you knew about the difference then and ordered the fight Saturday?

The state athletic comission let the fight go on with the weight difference and Golden Boy approved that as well as the contract. That is Floyd's fault.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain that was watching that fight saw the biggest discrepancy in size between two fighters of any major fight in recent history. I just can't argue with someone that wants to defend that. It makes me sick that there are people actually willing to defend that. Especially when it was the strategy of the fighter from day one to not make weight and enter the ring 20 lbs heavier than his opponent.

We just have a polar opposite mindset when it comes to boxing and the fighters we like.

You, it's about one thing. Natural talent. That's all that matters. Even if those talented guys are tax cheating thugs that dodge all the tough fights and pull off punk bitch moves like Floyd just did.

Me? I like tough guys. Fighters that don't hide behind agents, money, weight limits. Guys that aren't afraid to get hit, like to push themselves and make tough fights. Fighters that would rather retire 42-2 and make all the best fights than retire 44-0 and fight nothing but light hitting meatballs and blown up lightweights.

Those are the guys I like. Fighters like Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather make me sick.

Just a massive, huge difference of opinion between us. Night and day. We'll never agree. So go ahead and continue to beat your chest over your boy Floyd's stats in that absolute and total farce of a fight. I'm done posting in this thread ... done reading it. A lot of other good fights coming up to talk about.

:cheers:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 pm

bustedknuckles

Next

Return to The Rumble Room