Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Ok CF Board Experts... what TV do I go with???

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Ok CF Board Experts... what TV do I go with???

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Here's the deal.

Distance from television: 12-14 feet
Room Light: Lot of natural light, basically half the room has blinds
Television will be about 2 feet above eye level
Spending range: $1600-$2000

What television should I be looking at?

LCD or Plasma

What size?

42-48? 50-55?

What brand?

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc.?

Interested to get some thoughts from some posters. Appreciate the feedback.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Re: Ok CF Board Experts... what TV do I go with???

Unread postby Stu » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:00 pm

distance of 12-14 feet means you should be looking at a minimum of 60"

because of the light, to minimize reflection i'd get an LCD, preferably 120 hz
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 pm

I have a 46in 1080p 60Hz LCD Samsung. (After comparing them side by side, I have yet to figure out how the 120Hz is worth the money) It is plenty big and I sit 10-12 feet. I love it, great picture, got it for $1200. Dont forget to talk them down. I got $100 off just for asking at Best Buy. Not a ton, but anything is better than nothing. Everyone with a Samsung that I know loves it.

Edit: Also mine has a matte screen as my room has alot of natural light as well, didnt see that the first time. Might be something to look for. They said they picture isnt quite as good in perfect conditions, but I like to have the blinds open when watching tv.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 pm

I have done no research on the topic. But I know two different people who have done extensive research and come to the same conclusion that Samsung LCD is the way to go.

Two feet above eye level? Raise your seats!! :hide:
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:50 am

LCD or plasma, not big enough difference to matter.

At least 54"
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:27 am

Ziner wrote:I have a 46in 1080p 60Hz LCD Samsung. (After comparing them side by side, I have yet to figure out how the 120Hz is worth the money) It is plenty big and I sit 10-12 feet. I love it, great picture, got it for $1200. Dont forget to talk them down. I got $100 off just for asking at Best Buy. Not a ton, but anything is better than nothing. Everyone with a Samsung that I know loves it.

Edit: Also mine has a matte screen as my room has alot of natural light as well, didnt see that the first time. Might be something to look for. They said they picture isnt quite as good in perfect conditions, but I like to have the blinds open when watching tv.

I've got pretty much the exact same TV, only a Sharp. Same deal for me too, got $100 off the TV and $40 off the TV stand from Best Buy. If you're gonna negotiate, you can't get a Sony, they've got a price lock from the manufacturer or something like that. The prices on the 46" have been going down (I got mine for $1400 - $100 last year) so for $1600-$2000 you should probably go with a 54" (or whatever's close to that), especially being about 12 feet away. Samsung and Sharp are the best for LCD. I prefer LCD and don't know much about plasma.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby dem425 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 am

Just my 2 cents........

I have a 46" Sony Bravia and I wouldn't trade it for the world........Best investment I ever made
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Doc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Bravia's are beautiful, but you can't really haggle on Sony prices at the store. My buddy just got a 55" Samsung LED that's beautiful. Probably $2500 or so though. I love my LG LCD, and I'd certainly recommend that brand. Sony and Samsung are always solid...definitely go 1080p, and I'd probably go with LCD. If you can wait 2 months, do what I did and see what the Black Friday deals are looking like. Got my 42" at HHGregg last year for $700. Lines weren't too long (in comparison to Best Buy)...originally went for a 40" Toshiba IIRC, and they sold out, so they upped me to the 2 inch larger LG for no extra cost. It took a couple days to get it, but it's a purchase I'm happy with 10 months later. If there's no rush and you aren't opposed to standing outside for a half hour to an hour, it's probably worth at least seeing the deals they're offering.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby Naxos » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Samsung LCD 52"

LCDs are best for bright rooms. In the basement I put a 58" plasma.

I would compare sets in the store and then shop and order online for the best deal.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I have a 50-inch LG plasma. I love it.

With that being said, it is one heavy TV. And it puts out a lot of heat. My LCDs are lighter and cooler.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Get an LCD, they are more energy efficient. Since everything else is about equal, that is a good enough reason to choose one over the other.

The new LED LCDs are even better than standard LCDs in this department.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:55 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Get an LCD, they are more energy efficient. Since everything else is about equal, that is a good enough reason to choose one over the other.

tree-hugger
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Get an LCD, they are more energy efficient. Since everything else is about equal, that is a good enough reason to choose one over the other.

Legit point, to go even further if money isn't that big a deal get one of the few brands that has the sensor that will put the screen in sleep mode when somebody leaves the room and doesn't return in a couple minutes (IIRC only Sony has that feature).

That could save a few bucks a year and maybe even add months to the life of the television over its lifespan.

FUDU

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

tree-hugger

If I could recommend a wooden tv set that runs on rainbows I would.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 am

My brother-in-law is a techno geek and he says that an LCD TV will last longer than a plasma TV. FWIW.

Also, I've been considering a purchase as well and have thumbed through the ads for months now.....HHGregg's prices are consistently lower than Best Buy's.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:38 am

idoctribefan wrote:My brother-in-law is a techno geek and he says that an LCD TV will last longer than a plasma TV. FWIW.

Also, I've been considering a purchase as well and have thumbed through the ads for months now.....HHGregg's prices are consistently lower than Best Buy's.

I think it's because the quality of HHGregg merchandise isn't as good. They usually have older models. Not really a big deal for a TV like it would be for a car.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:My brother-in-law is a techno geek and he says that an LCD TV will last longer than a plasma TV. FWIW.

I think it's because the quality of HHGregg merchandise isn't as good. They usually have older models. Not really a big deal for a TV like it would be for a car.

That may be true. But I was talking about comparing prices of the same brand and model between the two stores.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes. 30 years instead of 28.

The only way to buy a TV is with your own eyes. Don't believe anyone else's judgement. You can show 6 people 6 different sets and get 6 different rankings.

Do your homeowrk. Go to stores. Go to different stores because they will all have slightly different lighting and set ups.

Read CNet reviews. That is a great source for durability and stuff. Also, I think they have some sort of learning guide which includes distance from the set and room lighting that you must take into account.

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma. Wouldn't trade it for any of the other TV's I looked at. Doesn't make it the one for you.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Like Pup I have a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma, and it's only 768p. I love it. Everything I watch looks fantastic and I don't think there is a seat any closer than 10 feet due to the odd layout of the room. After a ton of reviews from guys who liked the Panny 768 (some say 720 but it's not quite accurate) picture better than their 1080p LCD and the fact that it was dirt cheap at costco, I went for it.

Can't say enough good things about this set. At the distance you are sitting you might want see if scaling back to 720 offers a $300 savings or so. I had a certain budget in mind and by scaling back ended up with a bigger screen than I initially was going to purchase.

It's all about choices, I rarely meet anyone who hates their main Plasma/LCD, so in this thread I expect the same. You'll have to make the decision, so if you have a lot of time look around.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:55 pm

What Pup wrote. Devote time.

Also, go to the AVS forums. They have a great serach feature. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ Remember that you'll be watching your set (for the most part) sitting down, so try and compare everything at eye level. Bright show rooms will really gain up their display models, so try and find a store which has ambient light similar to your home. Do your homework, act serious, and many home theater stores will let you have an in-home trial.

Here's some info on resolution, screen size, and distance http://carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Not sure if it was brought up before matt hinted at it, but be very aware that the sets in the stores are tinkered with in terms of contrast and brightness. Done so in such a way to catch your eye but they are rarely set to correct television watching levels in which contrast, brightness and colors re true to life.

You'd be very shocked at how televisions look with the settings set to mimic true to life colors and contrasts, so much so you probably wouldn't buy the set in the store.

FUDU

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Noles, I have a similar setup as you do and have a 52" Bravia (LCD) and it is great. My room opens up past 13 ft into the kitchen and breakfast area though so I can still see it great when cooking. If I had a closed wall at 13 ft I may have gone a little smaller though, but prob not cause I don't think things through like that with electronics.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia and I wouldn't trade it for the world........Best investment I ever made

:thumb up:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 pm

FWIW I have read multiple write ups on both and after testing both LCDs and plasmas are rated to last 60,000 hours, one article claimed the difference between the two is less than +/- 1%. 1% is 600 hours mind you. 3 hours a day of TV use (probably very conservative number) would mean an extra 200 days (6 months).

You'll break it way before it goes on its own the way our football and baseball teams perform though.

FUDU

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:13 pm

FUDU wrote:

FWIW I have read multiple write ups on both and after testing both LCDs and plasmas are rated to last 60,000 hours, one article claimed the difference between the two is less than +/- 1%. 1% is 600 hours mind you. 3 hours a day of TV use (probably very conservative number) would mean an extra 200 days (6 months).

You'll break it way before it goes on its own the way our football and baseball teams perform though.

I think the big conflict with lifespan came into play with 1st gen plasmas. The technology has improved considerably from then, and I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:30 pm

I like CRT TV's in those fancy looking wood consoles. Its like having a TV and a rich looking piece of solid wood furniture, all built into one unit. State of the art...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Final Verdict...

55 inch LG 120 Hz
Price - $1,400

No interest 24 months from HHGregg.

25% off Tv Stand and 50% off Surge Protector
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture