Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tressel Under Fire

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Tressel Under Fire

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:53 pm

The whole article is interesting and worthy of your time but this response to receiving angry e-mails just amused me for whatever reason:

Tressel said he has received critical e-mails, but said the fans' poison makes him feel sorry for them.

"When I read some of them I feel terrible for them because there's no way they're happy," he said. "They've got to be some of the most unhappy people in the world, and I feel bad because we just made them less happy, and I hate to be a part of making someone less happy. I mean, they're already miserable."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4477250
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tressel Under Fire

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Tressel has just had his version of John Cooper's "they're with you win or tie" moment.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:07 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Tressel has just had his version of John Cooper's "they're with you win or tie" moment.

May very well be.

But I give the man credit for making me laugh just days after making me sick.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:29 pm

He should've responded like Savage.

"Gee golly, if you don't like it, then shucks, go root for the Ohio U Wildcats"
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:01 pm

From what I heard, the "they're the angriest people alive" comment ... didn't come across as bitter in person as it does on paper.

Tressel had another classic quote. He was asked if he felt his honeymoon as tOSU coach was ending. He says ...

“You think it’s been a nine-year honeymoon? You must not have enjoyed your honeymoon.”
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:14 pm

I'd like to ask all these knob jobs who want to see Tressel gone; Who can you replace Tress with? Anyone who says "Mark Dantonio" should be bitch slapped and pushed down a flight of stairs.

I hear people around town say Urban Meyer's name alot. That will never happen, Urban Meyer is not coming to OSU, not now, not ever. He is the king of the state of Florida.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'd like to ask all these knob jobs who want to see Tressel gone; Who can you replace Tress with? Anyone who says "Mark Dantonio" should be bitch slapped and pushed down a flight of stairs.

I hear people around town say Urban Meyer's name alot. That will never happen, Urban Meyer is not coming to OSU, not now, not ever. He is the king of the state of Florida.

Urban Meyer. Or, Brian Kelly.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Urban Meyer will never come to OSU. N-E-V-E-R. I like Kelly, he's done a good job at Cincy, but i'm not dumping Tress for him.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Urban Meyer will never come to OSU. N-E-V-E-R.

I don't see why not.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

I don't see why not.

Would you leave Florida for OSU? He's got 5 star recruits coming out of his ass in his own backyard, one of the most talent rich states in the nation. Right now, Florida is easily the better job.

The only way this happens is if he gets bored winning titles and being the king of the state. I don't see that happening.

This is probably all moot anyway, since Tress isn't going to be fired. Nor should he.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:28 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

I don't see why not.

Urban Meyer is really only interested in one job and one job only.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2 ... _stil.html

And I'd really love to see him take it. I think a good Notre Dame program is good for college football, along with the Big Ten in general being better in some way shape or fomr.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Would you leave Florida for OSU? He's got 5 star recruits coming out of his ass in his own backyard, one of the most talent rich states in the nation.

And he has to share that state with two other big-time schools. He comes here, he's still in one of the most talent-rich states in the nation, and for all intents and purposes he has it to himself. Do I know he'd come here? No. But I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I'll tell you one thing- if I'm Gene Smith and I think I have a legitimate chance to land Urban Meyer, I hand Tressel his walking papers yesterday. This program will never win another NC with Tressel at the helm, and frankly, I doubt it'll ever win another BCS game, unless we get to play Notre Dame again.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 pm

And he has to share that state with two other big-time schools. He comes here, he's still in one of the most talent-rich states in the nation, and for all intents and purposes he has it to himself. Do I know he'd come here? No. But I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Which big time schools? Felon State and Thug U? HAH! Neither one of those are big time schools. He dominates them on the field and on the recruiting front.

I'll tell you one thing- if I'm Gene Smith and I think I have a legitimate chance to land Urban Meyer, I hand Tressel his walking papers yesterday.

Well we don't. So it doesn't matter.

Don't get me twisted, i'd take Meyer in a heartbeat. But it's a pipe dream. The dude is happy in Florida.

You're pretty pissed, Jesse. Are you the one sending Tress these mean e-mails? ;-) ;) :wink:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Which big time schools? Felon State and Thug U? HAH! Neither one of those are big time schools. He dominates them on the field and on the recruiting front.

Felon State and Thug U. put Florida in the shade in terms of tradition and championships won, and either or both schools would be back in the elite in no time with the right head coach.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:34 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Which big time schools? Felon State and Thug U? HAH! Neither one of those are big time schools. He dominates them on the field and on the recruiting front.

Felon State and Thug U. put Florida in the shade in terms of tradition and championships won, and either or both schools would be back in the elite in no time with the right head coach.

Maybe FSU or Da U can hire Urban Meyer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

UF has more NC's than FSU. I wouldn't say any of the 3 really has that much tradition, as the real success started in the 80s (Miami, UF a little) and 90s (UF, FSU). Maybe Miami has the most success/tradition, but UF has the best fan base/game day. Honestly, as far as big time college football goes UF is the most attractive job IMO just because the school is so much bigger, the fan base is as rabid as anywhere (both the students and alumni), and the resources are there to compete with anywhere else.

But obviously all three schools only require the right head coach to be in NC contention nearly every year.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 pm

FSU was an all girls school till the 40's.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 pm

aoxo1 wrote:UF has more NC's than FSU.

Florida has never had an undefeated season; therefore, none of their National Championships are truly legitimate. Florida State does have one legitimate NC (1999); Miami has three (1987, '91, '01.) Florida's winning tradition isn't even near the top of its own conference.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
UF has more NC's than FSU. I wouldn't say any of the 3 really has that much tradition, as the real success started in the 80s (Miami, UF a little) and 90s (UF, FSU). Maybe Miami has the most success/tradition, but UF has the best fan base/game day. Honestly, as far as big time college football goes UF is the most attractive job IMO just because the school is so much bigger, the fan base is as rabid as anywhere (both the students and alumni), and the resources are there to compete with anywhere else.

But obviously all three schools only require the right head coach to be in NC contention nearly every year.

UF's tradition goes back beyond the 1980s. They have the most tradition of any of the Florida football schools. Sure, they weren't winning national titles, but they did have a Heisman winner back in 1966 and have been playing for over a 100 years now. They don't have the tradition of an Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan, but UF football didn't just start in the 1980s.

FSU really didn't have much in the way of tradition until Bowden came in the 70s. Same goes for UM when Schnellenberger came in the 80s. Though both have played football for a while. Florida State has actually been playing longer than UF by a few years, though they weren't a university at that point. Nor were they a girls' school, at least not entirely. A girls' school merged with what was Florida State College as part of the formation of FSU as a full university in the early 1900s. But Florida State College had already fielded a football team at that point.

As for Meyer, I doubt he leaves Florida any time soon unless for Notre Dame - and I think he'd only do that if he wants a challenge because he could win more BCS titles at UF. He has no issues recruiting and the academic standards are not anywhere near as high.

Kelly would be a viable option, though I don't think Tressel should be dumped for him at this point. I think Tressel gets canned if he loses a bunch of games to Michigan. Let's face it, both Cooper and Carr got canned for their inability to beat their archrival. Carr had success early on versus Cooper but was terrible facing Tressel. If that reverses and Tressel has trouble versus Rodriguez to go along with big game letdowns (sounds like Cooper and Carr too) then he will be shown the door. But unless Ohio State tanks it would take several years for that to happen and Kelly might be somewhere else by then, though I'd like to see him stick with the Bearcats.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Mac, by tradition I meant tradition of sustained excellence/success.

Herm, that is an interesting take on NCs, although I can't say I agree. How do you feel about seasons with no undefeated teams, or seasons with multiple undefeated teams?

Also disagree about the conference domination. Put either of those schools in the SEC and they pale in comparison to Bama as well.

Obviously I will always be bitter about 94.
aoxo1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Herm, that is an interesting take on NCs, although I can't say I agree.

My POV has always been that since college football doesn't have a playoff tournament, the season itself is the tournament- and it's single-elimination.

How do you feel about seasons with no undefeated teams

There is no real National Champion for those years. Take 1983: Miami is considered the MNC for that season by virtue of beating Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, but they got that game at home- an advantage no other bowl participant had- and they got killed by Florida in their opener, 28-3. Can you really give a MNC to a team that got lost a game by 25 points? Does Miami really have a stronger claim than, say, Auburn, which had the same record, played a tougher schedule and didn't get a home bowl game?

or seasons with multiple undefeated teams?

I think any team that goes undefeated has a right to claim the National Championship. If Auburn and Utah in '04 or Boise in '06 or Utah in 08 claim the NC for those seasons, I have no argument with that. You can point out deficiencies in those teams' schedules- including 2004 Auburn, which played a horrible OOC schedule- but the bottom line is they did everything they needed to do in those seasons. BTW, the '94 Nittanys have a legitimate claim to the MNC for that season as well, although Nebraska did have to win a road game against Miami to clinch their undefeated season.

In my mind the "purest" National Champion is the team that goes undefeated and beats another undefeated team in their bowl game. 2002 Ohio State and 2005 Texas are the closest thing to pure National Champions we've seen in the last two decades.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 pm

My POV has always been that since college football doesn't have a playoff tournament, the season itself is the tournament- and it's single-elimination.

How can it be considered a tournament when a team can go undefeated and not even play for the title?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:How can it be considered a tournament when a team can go undefeated and not even play for the title?

How many years have teams legitimately played for the title, CDT? How many years has it been an undisputed 1-v-2 matchup? 2002? 2005? 1986, when Penn State and Miami played? '92, when Alabama and Miami played? Most years it really isn't a legitimate title game anyway.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:How can it be considered a tournament when a team can go undefeated and not even play for the title?

How many years have teams legitimately played for the title, CDT? How many years has it been an undisputed 1-v-2 matchup? 2002? 2005? 1986, when Penn State and Miami played? '92, when Alabama and Miami played? Most years it really isn't a legitimate title game anyway.

I'd make the argument even in '05 despite two losses, that if a Tourney was ran, Notre Dame and Ohio State could have made a run at it.

Herm, I have a question for you, if a lets say a form of a Tourney had been run since about '91-'92 when the Bowl Coalition first formed (minus the Big Ten/Pac 10, which I would think would have happpened with them wanting a guaranteed shot at the rose bowl until about 1998 when the BCS was created), What would the Nat'l Championship list look like? Would TOSU have at least 3-4 more Trophies in the Case and would the SEC have been as dominate as they have been?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:15 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

So you're saying Florida wasn't a legit champ in 06?

I gotta ask, what's the biggest fraud IYO, since the BCS began?

Sorry, this must be like 20 Questions.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Triple-S wrote:Herm, I have a question for you, if a lets say a form of a Tourney had been run since about '91-'92 when the Bowl Coalition first formed (minus the Big Ten/Pac 10, which I would think would have happpened with them wanting a guaranteed shot at the rose bowl until about 1998 when the BCS was created), What would the Nat'l Championship list look like? Would TOSU have at least 3-4 more Trophies in the Case and would the SEC have been as dominate as they have been?

No way of knowing. Too many variables- matchups, venues, weather, injuries, etc... all I can say for near-certain is that if the 1995 Buckeyes had played Nebraska they would have been annihilated. Ohio State had problems all year with the run, even before Tim Biakabatuka hung 314 yards on them. Nebraska's power-I would have put about 500 yards on that defense.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I gotta ask, what's the biggest fraud IYO, since the BCS began?

LSU in 2007.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Herm, I have a question for you, if a lets say a form of a Tourney had been run since about '91-'92 when the Bowl Coalition first formed (minus the Big Ten/Pac 10, which I would think would have happpened with them wanting a guaranteed shot at the rose bowl until about 1998 when the BCS was created), What would the Nat'l Championship list look like? Would TOSU have at least 3-4 more Trophies in the Case and would the SEC have been as dominate as they have been?

No way of knowing. Too many variables- matchups, venues, weather, injuries, etc... all I can say for near-certain is that if the 1995 Buckeyes had played Nebraska they would have been annihilated. Ohio State had problems all year with the run, even before Tim Biakabatuka hung 314 yards on them. Nebraska's power-I would have put about 500 yards on that defense.

http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/

Closest thing, but I see your point. I hold by that the '05 and '98 team should have a Trophy if not for the worst system in all of sports.

Could you imagine if the NFL did the Super Bowl that way?

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm with Herm. Urban would come here, under the right circumstances of course, and it would be the better job as opposed to Florida.

I wouldn't go so far as to hand JT his walking papers if Meyer was available. I would do it more along the lines of telling JT he needs to do this or that, and if he doesn't then his job could be in jeopardy.

Also I want to see Urban coach his offense a few seasons without his ideal QB at the helm just to see how he does when everything isn't perfect with his style.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby uncle junior » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

Exactly as stated above, sorry i don't know how to bring those little boxes down.

Don't coronate Urb just yet. Tebow is a freak, just like the kid at Ap St in the BTS. Watch out for the U, that cat can coach, the program was a mess, we may here from them again real soon. They come to the Shoe to replace SC, we need to play well in that one too.

Understandably speculation drives the sporting interest and everyone is entitled to there opinion. Therefore your going to hear mine. Tres is as good as Urb. period. If they had each others jobs the catcalls would be exactly as they are right now.

Let me give you one bit of information you may or may not know. The Vest turned down the U when they were dominating college football, like in the mid 90's. Thats a fact. Tells you a little something about the mans fiber.

If anything we should hope he considers the reins on the lakefront some day.
uncle junior

Favorite Player: Silvio Dante
Least Favorite Player: Cousin Ralphie

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am

First off, Tressel ain't goin nowhere until he decides to retire. Nor do I want him to. I wish he would get someone to run the offense, but that ain't happening either.

As for Urban Meyer...no way in hell that guy leaves Florida. NO FREAKING WAY. Why in the world would he leave UF to come to Ohio State? Because people in Ohio think OSU is the mecca of college football? He's got more talent in his backyard than Ohio State does (sorry, that's just the facts), he's got a huge paycheck, he's got facilities, and he's got great location. And he didn't just win titles because of Tebow. No doubt Tebow is special, but he won one title with Chris Leak at the helm and GREAT DEFENSE played a part in both. I will be the first to admit that i thought he would flop at UF...boy was I wrong.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:52 am

Don't coronate Urb just yet. Tebow is a freak, just like the kid at Ap St in the BTS.

Meyer won big at Bowling Green, at Utah, and at Florida when Tebow was a freshman backup.

Tres is as good as Urb. period. If they had each others jobs the catcalls would be exactly as they are right now.

You have no basis for saying that.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 am

As for Urban Meyer...no way in hell that guy leaves Florida. NO FREAKING WAY. Why in the world would he leave UF to come to Ohio State? Because people in Ohio think OSU is the mecca of college football? He's got more talent in his backyard than Ohio State does (sorry, that's just the facts), he's got a huge paycheck, he's got facilities, and he's got great location. And he didn't just win titles because of Tebow. No doubt Tebow is special, but he won one title with Chris Leak at the helm and GREAT DEFENSE played a part in both. I will be the first to admit that i thought he would flop at UF...boy was I wrong.

Excellent take, couldn't agree more. It would have to be a significant financial upgrade for him to bolt.

Jess - you are killing me on multiple levels with this thread. I'm going to turn around and walk away before I get all TIMMAH on you :bag:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:11 am

The Gator team directed with Leak at the Helm was not that special an offense at all. The Buckeyes are the only reason that team will be remembered in history. Not saying Meyer didn't do a good job coaching that season just that there were many other circumstances for his success with that offense that year. Since, he has had Tebow running his O, the perfect storm recruit for his O. We'll see how Urban moves forward when he doesn't have Tebow.

Great coach, I am just not ready to say he is better than everyone else or not until I see him have to deal with less than ideal talent for his offense.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:13 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
I'm going to turn around and walk away before I get all TIMMAH on you :bag:

Now that would make this thread interesting. :thumb up:
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby yargs7 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

FUDU wrote:The Gator team directed with Leak at the Helm was not that special an offense at all. The Buckeyes are the only reason that team will be remembered in history. Not saying Meyer didn't do a good job coaching that season just that there were many other circumstances for his success with that offense that year. Since, he has had Tebow running his O, the perfect storm recruit for his O. We'll see how Urban moves forward when he doesn't have Tebow.

Great coach, I am just not ready to say he is better than everyone else or not until I see him have to deal with less than ideal talent for his offense.

You are right. That Leak-led offense was not special. But they still won the title. And they didn't light Oklahoma up offensively last year either...but the won. Because of great defense and they made less mistakes in the game than Oklahoma. The bottom line is W's and L's. Not many coaches win championships with less than ideal talent for their schemes. On the other hand, many coaches HAVE ideal talent for their offense and defense and DON'T win titles.

I'm not saying Meyer is the best. It's hard to say one guy is the best. My original point was that he isn't leaving Florida. If he does, he isn't as smart as I think he is.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby RCB1948 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"Gee golly, if you don't like it, then shucks, go root for the Ohio U Wildcats"

That's "Bobcats," by the way. :guns:
RCB1948

Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm

RCB1948 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"Gee golly, if you don't like it, then shucks, go root for the Ohio U Wildcats"

That's "Bobcats," by the way. :guns:

Explain the difference between a wildcat and bobcat.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Meyer is highly unlikely to leave Florida for Ohio State unless the Buckeyes had him a $150M Powerball winning ticket. Last year UF finished ahead of Ohio State in overall football revenue and they're not far beyond in overall revenue for the athletics department. That just means that Ohio State isn't really in a position to pay Meyer more than Florida can or will. The main appeal would have to come from him being a native Ohioan and beginning his coaching career at Ohio State. I don't know how much fondness he holds for Columbus, though it seems that Notre Dame was his favorite stop prior to landing at UF. If Gainesville appeals more to him and his family than Columbus would then it would be a hard sell.

Those who don't want to say that Meyer has already proven himself are crazy. Two BCS titles in a three year period is amazing. If they do it again this year then he'd already have half the national titles that Bear Bryant won during his whole career and would only need two to equal Woody Hayes.

And, as others have said, there is more fertile recruiting ground in Florida. I'd say the state is probably the most dense when it comes to football talent. You could certainly argue that Texas has more, but Texas has another six million people living in it. And Meyer can take pretty much any of the best talent in Florida that he wants right now. Occasionally one of the other BCS schools in the state will get someone out from under UF, but that's usually because the player might not get as much exposure at UF with the amount of talent surrounding him.

I could see him doing Notre Dame if he wants a challenge, but I could also see him sticking with Florida and trying to beat Bear Bryant's record for titles.

As for Tebow, Meyer has shown an ability to adapt to the talent he has. He's not like Rodriguez at Michigan, sticking to his guns and making sure the recruits match the system. That's ideal for Meyer, but he'll also go after productive guys with high skill sets. Brantley, the heir apparent to Tebow, is more of a pocket passer so I'd look for the offense to change up next year a bit to focus on Brantley's talents.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Explain the difference between a wildcat and bobcat.

Wildcat is a roller coaster (they've got one at Cedar Point), a type of football offense, and a cat found in Europe. The wildcats are smaller than bobcats, about the size of a domestic house cat.

Bobcat is a cat found in North America, a mascot for Ohio U, and a manufacturer of construction equipment.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm

FUDU wrote:I'm with Herm. Urban would come here, under the right circumstances of course, and it would be the better job as opposed to Florida.

What circumstances? UF and ND burn to the ground?

Never going to happen. Urban Meyer will coach the Buckeyes when monkeys fly.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:54 pm

FWIW, the coaching staff absolutely loves Brantley. Expect more of an Alex Smith style offense next year from the Gators. It's not like Urban has had a bunch of Tebows in all his stops.

Kid broke all of Tebow's high school passing records, IIRC, and is a nice drop back passer with above average mobility (maybe like Colt McCoy level).
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Bump

:hide:

I almost bumped the '08 thread where JB hates on Urban for not playing football the way it was intended and where Urban called timeouts in the last minute of a 49-10 win over GA so he could run two more plays. :lmfao: :lmfao:

That was his response to GA's celebration shit the year before.

God, we are all morons.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I've loved Urban Meyer since the day he Pants'd vest in front of the world. My bitching about Tress' x's and o's goes back many, many years.

Thankfully, you can't call ME on THIS ONE.

JB on the other hand, well......
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm

God I miss Macphisto.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm

swerb wrote:God I miss Macphisto.

That post almost sums up ten years of PHIST CFB takes in four paragraphs. If only he had worked in a scUM reference and a USF Bulls horn.

I forgot that this year he was a UF fan......

And JB ran's Jesse's insanity off so we can all thank him for that, jb = h8ter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:01 pm

swerb wrote:God I miss Macphisto.

Staying far the hell away from anything political, but I have to wonder if he's been offered a cabinet position yet?

Undersecretary of agriculture specializing in touch football playing turf?

And yeah Peeker, I still have a soft spot for the good old I formation.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Fun reading that thread...(glad I wasn't in it)

So much certainty...so much wrong

My other takeaway is that it would be nice to see Jesse come back to these boards
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:I'm with Herm. Urban would come here, under the right circumstances of course, and it would be the better job as opposed to Florida.

What circumstances? UF and ND burn to the ground?

Never going to happen. Urban Meyer will coach the Buckeyes when monkeys fly.

best post ever
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

JB, CDT was saying Urban wasn't here after Scout had the leak two weeks before it was official.

Fuck, he may have still been saying it the day before the hire after EVERYONE had the leak.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Next

Return to College Sports Arena