Text Size

High School Sports

St. Ed's dominates again

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

St. Ed's dominates again

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:23 pm

10th year in a row and they set a record for the most points ever for a state wrestling championship: 210.

Also, Palmer won his 4th straight state title, becoming only the 15th wrestler EVER to do this in the state of Ohio. (btw, he will be wearing the scarlet and grey next year).

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby yargs7 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:00 pm

That's impressive for Ed's and Palmer. I gotta give props to my alma mater Austintown Fitch for finishing tenth. Not bad for a medium sized D-1 PUBLIC school. Tony Jameson 2x state champ and only a soph!
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Ed's is basically a young "college team"

Unread postby E Rocc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:43 pm

When you recruit kids from all over the area, you should be expected to win. It's easierl with an individual sport like wrestling than it is with team sports, where you still have to mold the kids into a unit.

The OHSAA should seriously consider separate wrestling championships for private schools. I'm biased of course, but I still say what Mike Milkovich accomplished with just a town of 30,000 people to work with was way more impressive than what Ed's has done.
E Rocc

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:32 pm

yargs7 wrote:That's impressive for Ed's and Palmer. I gotta give props to my alma mater Austintown Fitch for finishing tenth. Not bad for a medium sized D-1 PUBLIC school. Tony Jameson 2x state champ and only a soph!

I coached youth baseball against the Fitch wrestling coach for a number of years... There is no way I'd want to tangle with Mr. Powell, and I am big dude. I am a basketball guy, so I never paid much attention to wrestling, but he was a pretty good guy to BS with about most anything sports related. Good to see he is having some success.
dmiles

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:34 am

Yeah, Coach Powell is a big cat. He played center in the USFL back in the day. I never wrestled, but Powell was my freshmen football coach. He has built a very solid program at Fitch.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Return to High School Sports