Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Return of KISS!

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Return of KISS!

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Monday September 28th 2009 at the Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KISS' first visit to Cleveland since 2004, and first show in downtown Cleveland since 2000 (the last two tour stops were at Blossom).
KISS return to the town where they recorded KISS Alive! and Alive III, on their "Alive! 35 Tour."
New album, new costumes, new stage show, and special guest Buckcherry!
See ya there. If you want to party before the show, PM me. KISS have a long history in Cleveland, from the Agora, to the Allen Theatre, to Richfield, Blossom, and the Gund now the Q, KISS have always loved Cleveland.
Tymaster

Re: The Return of KISS!

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 am

Let me know when they bring back Criss and Frehley then I might care.

Saw them at Tiger Stadium back during the original reunion tour w/ Alice in Chains. I'll let that show be my good memory of them.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Let me know when they bring back Criss and Frehley then I might care.

Saw them at Tiger Stadium back during the original reunion tour w/ Alice in Chains. I'll let that show be my good memory of them.

The only thing that bothers me is they have Thayer and Singer (assuming they're still with KISS, I don't keep up) in Ace and Peters' makeup. Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr each had their own makeup, why clone the old stuff?

I saw KISS in 1991 when Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer were in the band. Good stuff, but i wish Carr had still been playing drums. He had just died not too long before.

EDIT: It was 1990, and Carr was still in the band. My memory is starting to go.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:34 pm

I love the original line-up!!! But facts are facts. Criss is a liability because his skills have detoriated due to years of coke and booze. He was brought back in 2003 for the "Aero/KISS World Domination" tour, and really, really, held the band back. Ace too was offered to come back, but his sobriety has always been an issue. He's just not reliable.
With regard to Tommy and Eric in Ace's and Pete's make-up, why bring in new characters when everyone recognizes the "cat" and the "spaceman" they have been touring this way since 2004, and playing to crowds in excess of 100,000 in SA and Europe. LN saw the demand for a tour with this line-up, and management saw demand for a new album. I'm not just blowing smoke up anyones ass, but "Pollstar" magazine projects this tour will out perform the original reunion tour..... time will tell.................
I may skip Cleveland actually, because with the number of shows that have been selling out (two nights on Cobo, MSG, etc.) more shows are being added, so I may wait for KISS in Dayton and C-Bus, both of which have me leaving my house and being in the venue in 45 minutes.
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Ugh..... Who the fuck cares? That band should be put out of it's misery. They've been making awful music for 30+ years. What an amazing feat. Kiss fans are like Trekkies.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ugh..... Who the fuck cares? That band should be put out of it's misery. They've been making awful music for 30+ years. What an amazing feat. Kiss fans are like Trekkies.

This is a perspective I've never got. Why should any band quit, if they still fill arenas and gain platinum awards???? I don't really like some of the Stones latest, but hell, let them play tell the public says "stop!" As long as a band still has throngs of fans paying to see them, they should play. If you don't like them, don't go. I imagine KISS have sold more albums than every band in your collection, so maybe those bands should "go away."
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:56 pm

lol. Kiss sucks. I don't care how many albums they've sold, the music is still awful. Everytime Kiss is out of the spotlight they do the 28th "Farewell" tour. None of their music is groundbreaking, it's the same vanilla rock it always has been. It's not like they're great musicians. Hardcore Kiss fans are just like Trekkies.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. Kiss sucks. I don't care how many albums they've sold, the music is still awful. Everytime Kiss is out of the spotlight they do the 28th "Farewell" tour. None of their music is groundbreaking, it's the same vanilla rock it always has been. It's not like they're great musicians. Hardcore Kiss fans are just like Trekkies.

They've done one "Farewell Tour" and it was a farewell tour to the original line-up. Check facts before running your mug. Stick to the Buckeyes (whose fans are like Trekkies) and Opeth, CLuctch, and how ever many other bands you like that no one else does. No one is forcing you to listen to KISS or to thread jack. :fu:
Last edited by Tymaster on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 pm

How many Kiss concerts you been to?

Yeah the Kiss Army isn't anything like Trekkies and their nerd conventions, they're too busy doing their makeup and teasing their hair to be nerds.

You know i'm right about how boring their music is.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Tymaster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:How many Kiss concerts you been to?

Many.
I'd literally have to count my ticket stubs.
Don't think I've missed a tour since '88.
Every tour has been a spectacle beyond belief.
FOr that matter, most bands that I'm into, I've seen countless times.
I know what I like and I support those bands. My ticket stub collection is in the 1,000s.
From Morrissey to Machine Head, from the Ramones to Radiohead, from Slayer to Seger. You get my point. I've probably seen KISS 30 times I guess.
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:21 am

lol. "30 times".

Opeth, CLuctch, and how ever many other bands you like that no one else does. No one is forcing you to listen to KISS or to thread jack

Hah! I don't care Kiss is more popualr than Opeth or Clutch, musically, they're far superior to anything Kiss has done. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good, see Paris Hilton.

And yeah it would suck to be forced to listen to Kiss.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:29 am

Kiss sucks.

Good music sells itself, it doesn't need spectacle.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Tymaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. "30 times".

Opeth, CLuctch, and how ever many other bands you like that no one else does. No one is forcing you to listen to KISS or to thread jack

Hah! I don't care Kiss is more popualr than Opeth or Clutch, musically, they're far superior to anything Kiss has done. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good, see Paris Hilton.

While I agree with the analogy that because something is more popular doesn't make it better, that's rich coming from you, because you seem to think that because the Buckeyes are immensely popular, they must be the best thing in the world. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:12 am

that's rich coming from you, because you seem to think that because the Buckeyes are immensely popular, they must be the best thing in the world.

Whoa! I thought we're talking about Kiss, and how awful they are?

The Buckeyes are way too awesome to be pulled down into a debate about friggin Kiss.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:45 am

In defense of Kiss and "The Spectacle," bottom line is that people do find their music good, because you could have the biggest spectacular in the world and not draw if people don't dig their tunes.

I'm not a big fan, I saw them once, and probably mainly because I as interested in seeing what it was all about, and to say I did.

Again, not a huge fan, so that eliminates it from any of my "best concerts ever" type rating, but I will say this, I left there feeling I got my money's worth, and I could list a ton of concerts in which i couldn't say that.

They've got a niche, and they are doing their thing. Good for them.

Music is all subjective. Telling someone their band blows is not only incorrect, it's futile.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:01 am

Lead Pipe wrote:Telling someone their band blows is not only incorrect, it's futile.

Doesn't mean it isn't fun.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:Telling someone their band blows is not only incorrect, it's futile.

And that KISS doesn't blow
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Tymaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. "30 times".

Nah, dude, I was just heckling you as per an old MAC thread. LOL. Everyone's musical tastes is their own. I'm not gonna sit here and tell ya they are Mozart. When I listen to KISS it's pure escapism. It's fun music meant to forget about all the crap you have to deal with on a day to day to basis. Not much different than the Beatles in that regard. I actually like alot of the bands you do, so don't pigeonhole someone for liking KISS. My musical catalog stretches from 8-track through mp3 and is in the thousands, as is my concert stub collection. Just because you see me grabbing a burger at Steak and Shake doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed fine French Cuisine. Why bring up KISS on The Cleveland Board?? Because this has ALWAYS been one of their favorite cities. Since KISS stopped playing club level venues (1975) the smallest crowd to ever witness a KISS show in Cleveland was still at 9,500. They have a huge fanbase here, and I have the PM's from TCBers to back that up. You don't like 'em, fine. But why post? When I see a post about a movie or band I don't like, I ignore it. Throwing in my two cents just to say "something sucks" is what I see all day at work where I teach high school freshman.
Tymaster

Unread postby Tymaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:18 pm

jfiling wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:Let me know when they bring back Criss and Frehley then I might care.

The only thing that bothers me is they have Thayer and Singer (assuming they're still with KISS, I don't keep up) in Ace and Peters' makeup. Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr each had their own makeup, why clone the old stuff?

I saw KISS in 1991 when Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer were in the band. Good stuff, but i wish Carr had still been playing drums. He had just died not too long before.

If you saw Eric Carr's last tour with KISS, the tour you saw was the Hot In the Shade tour in 1990. That tour did great business, hot on the heals of a Top 40 single ("Forever") they wound up playing Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Cincy, and Columbus and drawing capacity or damned near in all shows within one month. Good times, good times.
Tymaster

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

And that KISS doesn't blow

Man...... I love these boards.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Tymaster wrote:
jfiling wrote:

If you saw Eric Carr's last tour with KISS, the tour you saw was the Hot In the Shade tour in 1990. That tour did great business, hot on the heals of a Top 40 single ("Forever") they wound up playing Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Cincy, and Columbus and drawing capacity or damned near in all shows within one month. Good times, good times.

You know what was awesome about that show? They opened with "I Stole Your Love", which was a kick-ass high-energy to lead. Plus, Slaughter was a great opening band.

Personally, I'd never see KISS again, but I can't fault them for touring when they can still sell out everywhere they go.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:13 pm

I found the set list from that tour here: http://www.kissforum.de/KissTours/1990USA.htm

Set list:

1. I Stole Your Love
2. Deuce
3. Heaven's On Fire
4. Crazy, Crazy Nights
5. Black Diamond
6. Shout It Out Loud
7. Strutter
8. Calling Dr. Love
9. Rise To It
10. Fits Like A Glove
11. Lick It Up
12. God Of Thunder (incl. drum solo)
13. Forever
14. Hide Your Heart
15. Cold Gin
16. Tears Are Falling
17. I Love It Loud
18. Love Gun

Encores:
19. Detroit Rock City
20. I Want You
21. Rock And Roll All Nite

Additional songs occasionally performed:
I Was Made For Lovin' You.
Kiss also did some warm-up gigs in April 1990, in a couple of nightclubs. At these shows they played some interesting songs: Betrayed, Little Caesar, and C'mon And Love Me

At the time, I remember reviewers saying it was the best set list KISS had ever performed, since they brought out songs they hadn't played live in many years.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am

jfiling wrote:I found the set list from that tour here: http://www.kissforum.de/KissTours/1990USA.htm

Set list:

1. I Stole Your Love
2. Deuce
3. Heaven's On Fire
4. Crazy, Crazy Nights
5. Black Diamond
6. Shout It Out Loud
7. Strutter
8. Calling Dr. Love
9. Rise To It
10. Fits Like A Glove
11. Lick It Up
12. God Of Thunder (incl. drum solo)
13. Forever
14. Hide Your Heart
15. Cold Gin
16. Tears Are Falling
17. I Love It Loud
18. Love Gun

Encores:
19. Detroit Rock City
20. I Want You
21. Rock And Roll All Nite

Additional songs occasionally performed:
I Was Made For Lovin' You.
Kiss also did some warm-up gigs in April 1990, in a couple of nightclubs. At these shows they played some interesting songs: Betrayed, Little Caesar, and C'mon And Love Me

At the time, I remember reviewers saying it was the best set list KISS had ever performed, since they brought out songs they hadn't played live in many years.

Yeah, from 1980 - 1988 it was a pretty static setlist. The stage show changed every two years, but basically, whenever they put out a new album, they dropped 2-3 songs from the prior album and replaced them with new songs and only played 90 minutes. For "Hot In The Shade" they brought out a 35 foot tall two ton Sphinx to match the cover art, and completely retooled the setlist and played for two soliid hours every night. It was their most successful tour between the years of 1979 - 1996. Averaging well over 12,000 per night.
Tymaster

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Holy Moly! What a coincidence! KISS are due in Cleveland "The Rock n Hall Fame City," in less than a week, and KISS were finally nominated for induction to the hall. About time, of course, they are a slam dunk for this! No American artist has more Gold Records :salute:. In other news, LiveNation, Ticketmaster, and the Q have just released a slew of $25 tickets for Mondays show. The Browns stink this year. As do the Indians. May as well enjoy something in Cleveland!
Tymaster

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 pm

KISS should do half-time at CBS.

Match made in heaven.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:KISS should do half-time at CBS.

Match made in heaven.

Bands that play the Super Bowl don't do half-time in Cleveland. :lmfao:

Tymaster

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 pm

They'd look real good next to Janet Jackson's nipple on the Super Bowl stage.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture