Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Fish On!

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Fish On!

Unread postby Squints » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Did not know where to put this exactly, but I think this could morph into what fish is the best eating fish.

Anyway, love going fishing, now as an adult. Loved it as a kid, but hated it (along with most things) as a teenager. I visit my parents a few times a month in the summer near Sandusky and go out at least 2-3 times a summer. Mostly for perch best eating fresh water fish, IMO. Love just relaxing on a boat, listening to a ballgame occasionally catching a fish. Wife loves it and my daughter has taken a liking to it. Friends of mine fly fish- I respect it, just not my speed.

Anyone else like to fish? If so where and for what? Cook it how? Love perch as above and also walleye, fun to catch, but not my favorite to eat.
Squints
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Fairview, PA
Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Not a fisherman.

Love to eat fish though. Love all kinds of sushi, a good seared med rare piece of yellowfin tuna, halibut, mahi, that Copper River Salmon Heinens gets in, or a nice blackened piece of swordfish.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17919
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am

Squints wrote:Did not know where to put this exactly, but I think this could morph into what fish is the best eating fish.

Anyway, love going fishing, now as an adult. Loved it as a kid, but hated it (along with most things) as a teenager. I visit my parents a few times a month in the summer near Sandusky and go out at least 2-3 times a summer. Mostly for perch best eating fresh water fish, IMO. Love just relaxing on a boat, listening to a ballgame occasionally catching a fish. Wife loves it and my daughter has taken a liking to it. Friends of mine fly fish- I respect it, just not my speed.

Anyone else like to fish? If so where and for what? Cook it how? Love perch as above and also walleye, fun to catch, but not my favorite to eat.


Love to fish as well. Pond in the backyard with the 3 girls or out on the lake for perch, walleye and steelhead. To the point now where I have an ultra light and some gear in the back of my car at all times. When we went to Cedar Point there was a pond the hotel where I threw some lures for an hour.

As to eating, Steelhead I'll usually catch and release either when walleye fishing or even if wading in the Grand River for them in November and march. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one but never really found a way to cook those that I like. Love King Salmon but steelhead just isn't the same even when cooked the same.

The bait shop on Richmond St in Painesville sells a proprietary breading/batter. I think it's part 'Shore Lunch' and part what tastes like KFC regular recipe. It's unreal for perch or walleye. Even the kids go crazy for it.

I also love walleye wrapped in foil with butter and lemon and slow cooked on the grill. Serve that with home fries and it's perfect.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Squints wrote:Did not know where to put this exactly, but I think this could morph into what fish is the best eating fish.

Anyway, love going fishing, now as an adult. Loved it as a kid, but hated it (along with most things) as a teenager. I visit my parents a few times a month in the summer near Sandusky and go out at least 2-3 times a summer. Mostly for perch best eating fresh water fish, IMO. Love just relaxing on a boat, listening to a ballgame occasionally catching a fish. Wife loves it and my daughter has taken a liking to it. Friends of mine fly fish- I respect it, just not my speed.

Anyone else like to fish? If so where and for what? Cook it how? Love perch as above and also walleye, fun to catch, but not my favorite to eat.


Love to fish as well. Pond in the backyard with the 3 girls or out on the lake for perch, walleye and steelhead. To the point now where I have an ultra light and some gear in the back of my car at all times. When we went to Cedar Point there was a pond the hotel where I threw some lures for an hour.

As to eating, Steelhead I'll usually catch and release either when walleye fishing or even if wading in the Grand River for them in November and march. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one but never really found a way to cook those that I like. Love King Salmon but steelhead just isn't the same even when cooked the same.

The bait shop on Richmond St in Painesville sells a proprietary breading/batter. I think it's part 'Shore Lunch' and part what tastes like KFC regular recipe. It's unreal for perch or walleye. Even the kids go crazy for it.

I also love walleye wrapped in foil with butter and lemon and slow cooked on the grill. Serve that with home fries and it's perfect.


We really should do a TCF day fishing charter from Geneva or 'bula next summer.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:29 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
Squints wrote:Did not know where to put this exactly, but I think this could morph into what fish is the best eating fish.

Anyway, love going fishing, now as an adult. Loved it as a kid, but hated it (along with most things) as a teenager. I visit my parents a few times a month in the summer near Sandusky and go out at least 2-3 times a summer. Mostly for perch best eating fresh water fish, IMO. Love just relaxing on a boat, listening to a ballgame occasionally catching a fish. Wife loves it and my daughter has taken a liking to it. Friends of mine fly fish- I respect it, just not my speed.

Anyone else like to fish? If so where and for what? Cook it how? Love perch as above and also walleye, fun to catch, but not my favorite to eat.


Love to fish as well. Pond in the backyard with the 3 girls or out on the lake for perch, walleye and steelhead. To the point now where I have an ultra light and some gear in the back of my car at all times. When we went to Cedar Point there was a pond the hotel where I threw some lures for an hour.

As to eating, Steelhead I'll usually catch and release either when walleye fishing or even if wading in the Grand River for them in November and march. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one but never really found a way to cook those that I like. Love King Salmon but steelhead just isn't the same even when cooked the same.

The bait shop on Richmond St in Painesville sells a proprietary breading/batter. I think it's part 'Shore Lunch' and part what tastes like KFC regular recipe. It's unreal for perch or walleye. Even the kids go crazy for it.

I also love walleye wrapped in foil with butter and lemon and slow cooked on the grill. Serve that with home fries and it's perfect.


We really should do a TCF day fishing charter from Geneva or 'bula next summer.


I was hoping Rich might buy a 48 foot Sea Ray and call it the "TheClevelandFan". Gotta be able to write that off.

Image

I'm in for a charter. It's killing fish for the most part with no real talent required due to the way they fish, but it'd be a good time.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Off Topic:
I just thought of this, but I really think CBS really missed out by not putting a dock near the stadium for fans. Can you imagine how awesome the parties would be if they had a dock there boats could pull up and tailgate before going to the game? I am sure for the first half of the year you could sell those docks for some high prices and it would certainly be pretty damn unique. Sure there would be multiple deaths of drunk fans failing in to the water, but they could also sell cement boots for obnoxious steeler fans to put on and take a swim
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Freshwater fished until 5 years ago. I was a panfish guy- crappie and bluegill mostly. C&R'd the bass, catfish, trout and steelhead I caught.

Saltwater now. Flounder is #1, then puppy drum. Speckled trout, striped bass are also pretty darn good. This little fella has great flavor too, just too small and scarce to actually spend time targeting.
Image

I grill them mostly, but will occasionally have a fried flounder sammy. Blackened Redfish is on the menu tonight.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Freshwater fished until 5 years ago. I was a panfish guy- crappie and bluegill mostly. C&R'd the bass, catfish, trout and steelhead I caught.

Saltwater now. Flounder is #1, then puppy drum. Speckled trout, striped bass are also pretty darn good. This little fella has great flavor too, just too small and scarce to actually spend time targeting.
Image

I grill them mostly, but will occasionally have a fried flounder sammy. Blackened Redfish is on the menu tonight.


I like crappie and bluegill too but it's like shooting doves to eat. Need quite a few of 'em if you're feeding a family.

Blechhh. Bass is way too soft for my preference and I c&r those as well if we're talking largemouth and smallmouth. Love catching 'em but won't eat them. Steelhead fight so damn hard I feel obligated to release them when I'm river fishing. If they have anything left anyway. If not there's always someone down there who will take 'em. Out on the lake those fish will jump and breach the water to spit a hook and they are a lot more fun to catch than walleye for sure.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby Squints » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Peek- ever been to the perch fest in Fairport Harbor? From reading the borads, I believe you live in that area. We stopped there last year on the way home just to eat dinner, after paying $4 to park. We did not stay long, to take in the rest of the festival, but the perch fillets were large and it was good food. I know it's this weekend, besides the perch/eats what else is there???
Squints
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Fairview, PA
Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I can tell you Monday sir. I'm fishing the tourney with a buddy Saturday. But they have perch and walleye dinners (just $8 with fries, slaw, roll, etc), all kinds of other basic festival food, the fishing tourney, all kinds of stuff for kids like animal and magic shows, local bands play Friday night and Saturday.... it's basically a fair with fish thrown in.

Take a look: http://www.perchfest.net/index.html
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby stonepm » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
As to eating, Steelhead I'll usually catch and release either when walleye fishing or even if wading in the Grand River for them in November and march. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one but never really found a way to cook those that I like. Love King Salmon but steelhead just isn't the same even when cooked the same.


I was the same way till my brother made them. Season with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Cook them skin side down on a grill-indirect heat (spray with Pam or get one of the grill screen things otherwise its a bitch to get of w/o losing most of it--don't put it on foil, it tastes different), Put a little BBQ sauce on it at some point and a few minutes before you take it off sprinkle it super lightly with some some cinnamon right down the middle. Then just scrape it off the skin. Sounds like an odd flavor combo but it is really good.
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
User avatar
stonepm
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Avon, Oh
Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Ziner wrote:Off Topic:
I just thought of this, but I really think CBS really missed out by not putting a dock near the stadium for fans. Can you imagine how awesome the parties would be if they had a dock there boats could pull up and tailgate before going to the game? I am sure for the first half of the year you could sell those docks for some high prices and it would certainly be pretty damn unique. Sure there would be multiple deaths of drunk fans failing in to the water, but they could also sell cement boots for obnoxious steeler fans to put on and take a swim


The U.S. Coast Guard would like to have a word with you. :salute:
Lake Erie Perch isn't too shabby.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:19 pm

stonepm wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
As to eating, Steelhead I'll usually catch and release either when walleye fishing or even if wading in the Grand River for them in November and march. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one but never really found a way to cook those that I like. Love King Salmon but steelhead just isn't the same even when cooked the same.


I was the same way till my brother made them. Season with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Cook them skin side down on a grill-indirect heat (spray with Pam or get one of the grill screen things otherwise its a bitch to get of w/o losing most of it--don't put it on foil, it tastes different), Put a little BBQ sauce on it at some point and a few minutes before you take it off sprinkle it super lightly with some some cinnamon right down the middle. Then just scrape it off the skin. Sounds like an odd flavor combo but it is really good.



I'll try it stone. Thanks. Like I said, I'd like to find something that tastes good for the steelhead because you're as likley to limit on those as on walleye when you're 15 miles out on the lake.

Appreciate it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Ziner wrote:Off Topic:
I just thought of this, but I really think CBS really missed out by not putting a dock near the stadium for fans. Can you imagine how awesome the parties would be if they had a dock there boats could pull up and tailgate before going to the game? I am sure for the first half of the year you could sell those docks for some high prices and it would certainly be pretty damn unique. Sure there would be multiple deaths of drunk fans failing in to the water, but they could also sell cement boots for obnoxious steeler fans to put on and take a swim


You mean kind of like they do at U of Wash.?
Image

If that's the case, I'm sure the Vikings would LOVE to tailgate before this weeks game based on past history
Image
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:29 am

I can literally walk to South Ponto beach (2600 ft.) Carlsbad and I just have never fished. There is a pretty cool jetty leading into the lagoon that must have some good fishing because I see people in there every day. I kind of feel guilty about it but my dad was kind of into it, and I suppose I just rebelled against it. Getting up at 3:00 to fish for walleye and pike at Mosquito or some place just didn't do it for me. The funny thing is thinking about it now it wasn't that bad, I just think I kind of sucked at it, and we naturally gravitate to the things we are good at. I had a helluva time tying hooks correctly. My dad was in some bass club and they had outings too. The thing I liked was kind of the exploring around as a wide-eyed kid, being a bit naive and thinking you were walking on some part of a creek somewhere that nobody knew about because it was pretty far off any roads.

Anyway the guilt part is my sons have never really fished other than dipping the pole into the neighbor's pond back lordstown. Just the other day I was thinking I kind of owed them one, and thought maybe we should buy into one of those charters that goes a few miles off-shore and supplies everything.

I almost never eat fish. Used to grab a long john silvers every now and then does that count? Wife gets on a health kick every now and then and makes a lemon salmon which I choke down and pretend to like. Also I don't mind a few pieces of Sushi as an appetizer but I can't make a meal out of it. There is a fish place in my neighborhood that I've had at least 4-5 totally different people rave about so I'll go try it out. I just have a hard time paying for it because I feel like if I'm dropping $50-$60 for the meal I want to really like what I am eating.
On Twitter @DaBashers
User avatar
dmiles
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:12 am

dmiles wrote:I can literally walk to South Ponto beach (2600 ft.) Carlsbad and I just have never fished. There is a pretty cool jetty leading into the lagoon that must have some good fishing because I see people in there every day. I kind of feel guilty about it but my dad was kind of into it, and I suppose I just rebelled against it. Getting up at 3:00 to fish for walleye and pike at Mosquito or some place just didn't do it for me. The funny thing is thinking about it now it wasn't that bad, I just think I kind of sucked at it, and we naturally gravitate to the things we are good at. I had a helluva time tying hooks correctly. My dad was in some bass club and they had outings too. The thing I liked was kind of the exploring around as a wide-eyed kid, being a bit naive and thinking you were walking on some part of a creek somewhere that nobody knew about because it was pretty far off any roads.

Anyway the guilt part is my sons have never really fished other than dipping the pole into the neighbor's pond back lordstown. Just the other day I was thinking I kind of owed them one, and thought maybe we should buy into one of those charters that goes a few miles off-shore and supplies everything.

I almost never eat fish. Used to grab a long john silvers every now and then does that count? Wife gets on a health kick every now and then and makes a lemon salmon which I choke down and pretend to like. Also I don't mind a few pieces of Sushi as an appetizer but I can't make a meal out of it. There is a fish place in my neighborhood that I've had at least 4-5 totally different people rave about so I'll go try it out. I just have a hard time paying for it because I feel like if I'm dropping $50-$60 for the meal I want to really like what I am eating.


You relax, unwind and connect with your kids in whatever way you do it dmiles. And you eat what you like as well. As far as the 'how to's ' and the skill involved, shit, you pick up that stuff every time you go. You can google hooks and knots and be right with the world if you're so inclined.

I'm not some bassmaster either and my kids know that. But it's something we do poorly together and they get a kick out of it. Maybe they get interested and go further with it. Maybe it's just a talking point to show their boyfriends they're not complete Barbies, or maybe it's just something they'll remember doing with me someday.

Lots of fish I don't like, lots I do. Some is preparation and some is the fish. Figure that stuff out as cheaply as possible. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:19 am

Peeker643 wrote:You relax, unwind and connect with your kids in whatever way you do it dmiles. And you eat what you like as well. As far as the 'how to's ' and the skill involved, shit, you pick up that stuff every time you go. You can google hooks and knots and be right with the world if you're so inclined.

I'm not some bassmaster either and my kids know that. But it's something we do poorly together and they get a kick out of it. Maybe they get interested and go further with it. Maybe it's just a talking point to show their boyfriends they're not complete Barbies, or maybe it's just something they'll remember doing with me someday.

Lots of fish I don't like, lots I do. Some is preparation and some is the fish. Figure that stuff out as cheaply as possible. ;-) ;) :wink:


You haven't lived life until you fish with your kids. There's something charming about catching a smallmouth bass with a Disney Princess fishing polethat you got from WalMart for ten bucks. It's a great way to spend the day. :clap:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: Fish On!

Unread postby Apex777 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:28 pm

My vote for the best eating fish, hands down, Lake Erie Perch. Too bad it's gotten so expensive. . .and hard to find in my area.
*
*
*
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
User avatar
Apex777
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Northeast OH


Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests