Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Mexican Food Establishments

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Mexican Food Establishments

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey, just got in from a Mexican restaurant, and was wondering where some of you guys like to do your Mexican dining. What do you recommend??

Before they shut down, we used to enjoy Chi Chis.

Is there a particular Mexican dish of choice? I am a chicken chimichanga guy myself.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Mexican Food Establishments

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:47 pm

OldDawg wrote: Before they shut down, we used to enjoy Chi Chis.

OMG. Not to play the "I am a transplanted Cleveland native who lives in Texas" but I am playing it. There are no good Mexican restaurants in NEO. Come visit. We'll go to Austin or San Antonio. You will see God. :woot:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 pm

OMG. Not to play the "I am a transplanted Cleveland native who lives in Texas" but I am playing it. There are no good Mexican restaurants in NEO. Come visit. We'll go to Austin or San Antonio. You will see God.

Three things:

1) Overall, this is probably a fair statement.

2) Quoting something as absurd as "we used to enjoy Chi Chis" to support it, not so fair.

3) Next time you're in Cleveland, visit Momocho.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

OMG. Not to play the "I am a transplanted Cleveland native who lives in Texas" but I am playing it. There are no good Mexican restaurants in NEO. Come visit. We'll go to Austin or San Antonio. You will see God. :woot:

As someone who spent some time living in Albuquerque, I laugh at your Tex-Mex garbage.

/green or red?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 am

aoxo1 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

As someone who spent some time living in Albuquerque, I laugh at your Tex-Mex garbage.

/green or red?

Well said. The southwest has some damn good mexican.

Green, by alot. Made my own for the first time a few weeks ago from the New Mexican Hatch Chile's. I was so proud, it was fabulous. I am going to hit up this well known Denver road side stand and get myself a crap load more Hatch chiles so I can make the stuff all winter. They will be out of season soon.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:38 am

These comments are kind of amusing because even though I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at Chi Chis, I always thought it was kind of "Americanized" Mexican food (I know Mexico is in America, but you know what I mean).

I ate at El Campesino's today. Certainly run by a bunch of apparent Mexicans. Not much atmosphere. Food very reasonably priced. I will eat at Chipotle's.

But I don't even know if I have really eaten real "Mexican" food, as MV1 suggests ... or do I even want to??? That's why I started the thread. Where is the best Mexican food establishments out there. I expect that they are not a chain restaurant.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:34 am

These comments are kind of amusing because even though I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at Chi Chis, I always thought it was kind of "Americanized" Mexican food (I know Mexico is in America, but you know what I mean).

Where is the best Mexican food establishments out there. I expect that they are not a chain restaurant.

Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby View from 171 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 am

The best place I've been to in NEO is Luchita's on W.117th. You can tell it is not owned/operated by Americans.

Good food...and margaritas.
When everyone else is greedy, be cautious. When everyone is cautious, be greedy - Warren Buffett
View from 171

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: Pappelboner

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am

aoxo1 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

/green or red?

That's why I wrote "San Antonio" and "Austin", where you'll get less of the Tex Mex influence. Still, nothing wrong with good Tex Mex. Just as there's nothing wrong with New Mexican cuisine, or any of the regional types of dishes from Mexico. All very different. It's not as if there is one authentic "style" of Mexican cooking.
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 am

HoodooMan wrote:
OMG. Not to play the "I am a transplanted Cleveland native who lives in Texas" but I am playing it. There are no good Mexican restaurants in NEO. Come visit. We'll go to Austin or San Antonio. You will see God.

3) Next time you're in Cleveland, visit Momocho.

Be up over Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recommendation.
mattvan1

Unread postby Cease » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 am

Not a ton to choose from up here. I won't slam ChiChi's cause I used to work at Don Pablos and still love their chicken fajita enchaladas, no beans sub papas.

Momocho is good, as is Luchita's on W. 117. Although I found Luchita's kinda pricey for the quality. Haven't had much else.

Mi Pueblo is serviceable, if you like the "city Mexican" food they serve under the L stops in Chicago. Somewhat authentic, not very refined, everything over cooked.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 am

OldDawg wrote:These comments are kind of amusing because even though I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at Chi Chis, I always thought it was kind of "Americanized" Mexican food (I know Mexico is in America, but you know what I mean).

I ate at El Campesino's today. Certainly run by a bunch of apparent Mexicans. Not much atmosphere. Food very reasonably priced. I will eat at Chipotle's.

But I don't even know if I have really eaten real "Mexican" food, as MV1 suggests ... or do I even want to??? That's why I started the thread. Where is the best Mexican food establishments out there. I expect that they are not a chain restaurant.

Ok, now a serious answer. There is no one "true" type of Mexican food. It's all very regional. Shares some commonalities, obviously, but quite different in different parts of Mexico. What most people think of in the US is Tex Mex. Certainly the style you had at El Campesino - nachos (which don't exist in Mexico - at least outside of Cancun) fajitas, lots of combination plates, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all. You just won't find most of it in Mexico. And as you move (figuratively) from NEO to the SW, you'll find similar types of Tex Mex menus - just better executed with more authentic flavors. For "real" Mexican in Cleveland - I like Hoodoo's suggestion of Momocho. I looked on Zagat and it's the only "authentic" restaurant in NEO. I'd call it "new age Mexican" Checked their website and it reminds me of a place down here that we like. Give it a try - in Ohio City I believe.

My favorite dishes? - Chicken Mole Poblano, Pork Carnitas, Tamales
mattvan1

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am

mattvan1 wrote:

Austin....taco trucks. Talk about amazing. http://tacojournalism.blogspot.com/ does reviews and provides a nice list.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 am

Ziner wrote:Well said. The southwest has some damn good mexican.

Green, by alot. Made my own for the first time a few weeks ago from the New Mexican Hatch Chile's. I was so proud, it was fabulous. I am going to hit up this well known Denver road side stand and get myself a crap load more Hatch chiles so I can make the stuff all winter. They will be out of season soon.

Had some pepper jack cheese made with Hatch chiles the other day. Amazing.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am

mattvan1 wrote:

I dunno homie. Reminds me of when the Americans and Russians used to fight about who had the better Germans building them rockets in the 50's. The NEO Mexicans are every bit as Mexican as ur Mexicans. There's some good small Mommasita & Poppa's joints doing Tex-Mex that were every bit as good as I've had in SA, Tayhas. You can keep your authentic barbacoa (where is the puking emoticon?) and I'm not a tomales pimp.

It's the BBQ brisket you can't get.

Chi Chis? Not so much. That was Mexican like Olive garden is Italian.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:02 pm

JB wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

I dunno homie. Reminds me of when the Americans and Russians used to fight about who had the better Germans building them rockets in the 50's. The NEO Mexicans are every bit as Mexican as ur Mexicans. There's some good small Mommasita & Poppa's joints doing Tex-Mex that were every bit as good as I've had in SA, Tayhas. You can keep your authentic barbacoa (where is the puking emoticon?) and I'm not a tomales pimp.

If there's sour cream and a choice of cheeses you're probably not looking at authentic, true blue mexican food. People that grind corn with rocks typically come up light in the refrigeration department needed for sour cream and cheese.

My kids think Taco Bell or makes more sense than the authentic places we went when we lived in Chandler, AZ. That said, a couple decnt local places up here are Don Tequila's and El Patron (Chardon).
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Nuevo Acapulco on Lorain Rd. in North Olmsted.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:35 pm

JB wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Granted, I'm only in C-Town about 3 times per year, but I have never found good Mexican food anywhere in NEO. Maybe I never looked hard enough. As far as NEO Latinos vs. Texas Latinos, while the quality of the cooks may be the same(?), the quality of (and access to) the right ingredients, and the food eating population is not the same. At all.

BTW, Houston has some folks with eastern euro descent. Doesn't mean you can find a place like Balaton or Sokolowski's where I live.
mattvan1

Unread postby General » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 pm

La Fiesta, corner of Richmond and Highland. Jimmy has the best Margaritas.

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:51 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
JB wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Granted, I'm only in C-Town about 3 times per year, but I have never found good Mexican food anywhere in NEO. Maybe I never looked hard enough. As far as NEO Latinos vs. Texas Latinos, while the quality of the cooks may be the same(?), the quality of (and access to) the right ingredients, and the food eating population is not the same. At all.

BTW, Houston has some folks with eastern euro descent. Doesn't mean you can find a place like Balaton or Sokolowski's where I live.

Feh, veggie access being tough is overrated. It's not coming here via conestoga wagon.

Place in Struthers is so authetic it had to be closed after the INS raided it and half the staff had to leave.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Feh, veggie access being tough is overrated. It's not coming here via conestoga wagon.

Place in Struthers is so authetic it had to be closed after the INS raided it and half the staff had to leave.

I did hear about the new Latin Quarter in the Westside Market in Ohio City. As far as INS raids, you're taliking ambience. I'm talking quality of food. ;-) ;) :wink:

Edited to fix the quote thingy. Also to say I agree the ingredients are not getting to C-Town via wagon train. That would actually be preferred to them not getting there at all.
Last edited by mattvan1 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Authenticity of the makers (or would-be makers) and access to ingredients is irrelevant if you're in a market that doesn't value a certain kind of authenticity, don't you think?

A place with eastern european roots is going to demand a different kind of authenticity than one right over the border, no?

Somewhere in the SW, there is a version of Olddawg thinking aloud, "The wife and I always enjoyed eating at Bennigan's, but we're not sure whether it's authentic Irish cuisine."

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby cfd37buckeye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Tlaquepaque Cambridge Ohio.....nuff said
cfd37buckeye

Favorite Player: V-Mart
Least Favorite Player: Dustin GD Pedroia

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 pm

El Charrito on Euclid Ave., just east of E305th in Wickliffe has been there over 30 years.

The food is not bad, the chips and salsa is all homemade and they have recently added (strong) margaritas to their limited (Mexican) beer menu......
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:13 pm

dem425 wrote:El Charrito on Euclid Ave., just east of E305th in Wickliffe has been there over 30 years.

The food is not bad, the chips and salsa is all homemade and they have recently added (strong) margaritas to their limited (Mexican) beer menu......

Hidden gem. Love that place. Luchitas is good, I've heard good things about Momocho, and Marcelitas in Hudson is my local guilty pleasure. But yes, all in all ... Cleveland - good restaurant town, but not so much so when it comes to Mexican food.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby steviedifranco » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 pm

View from 171 wrote:The best place I've been to in NEO is Luchita's on W.117th. You can tell it is not owned/operated by Americans.

Good food...and margaritas.

Nailed it, thats the place. There are a few Luchitas in the area, that one and the one in Elyria are the two best. My favorite meal in the world is Luchita's Tinga de Pollo with a frozen Midori margarita. Incredible stuff.
steviedifranco
Site Admin

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 am

Holy Mackerel, Hoodoo.

I have enjoyed Mexican food from a variety of restaurants. I don't even mind a burrito from the Bell if I am on the run. I get it that Chi Chis and other NEO establishments are not necessarily "authentic." It doesn't mean it doesn't taste good.

My realization that none of these establishments are necessarily "authentic" led me to starting this thread. Where is the real good Mexican food? Obviously, it is a decent question, since many say there are few if any such establishments. Sorry, Hoodoo, if my query (and my referencing a couple of restaurantes) offended your sense of Mexican food expertise.

Come to think of it, I don't mind Zupa Tuscana soup and Chicken Parmesian from the Olive Garden. I hope that doesn't rile up any Italian food aficionados into a frenzy.

Swerb: the couple of times we have tried to dine at Hudson's Marcelitas it has been too crowded to get in. Will have to work it into my schedule. Just don't tell Hoodoo. He'll have a cow. No never mind, he already is. Look at his avatar.
OldDawg

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:26 am

OD, pay no attention to Hoodoo. He's been more elitist than ever since we found out he chooses his favorite college sports team based on who has the cutest uniform color scheme.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:41 am

nm
Last edited by HoodooMan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 am

since we found out he chooses his favorite college sports team based on who has the cutest uniform color scheme.

Cutest mascot.

Get it straight!

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 am

HoodooMan wrote:

Authenticity of the makers (or would-be makers) and access to ingredients is irrelevant if you're in a market that doesn't value a certain kind of authenticity, don't you think?

A place with eastern european roots is going to demand a different kind of authenticity than one right over the border, no?

Somewhere in the SW, there is a version of Olddawg thinking aloud, "The wife and I always enjoyed eating at Bennigan's, but we're not sure whether it's authentic Irish cuisine."

Point to you and Matt sorta. I'm just sayin' I cane back from SA and affter being recommended to the finest Tex Mex places in the city I didn't really notice a HUGE dif between that and some solid local non-chain joints. It may well be my white punk ass suburban pallet. But doesn't input + creativity / production = output.

And just what is it about a fried ham & cheese donut with powdered sugar doesn't sound authentic Irish ?
jb

Unread postby stonepm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Don't eat here!!!! Worst Mexican food I ever had! The rice was purple for some damn reason.

http://www.cracow-life.com/eat/restaurants_details/198-El_Pueblo-_Taco_Mexicano
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 pm

If you can put away the "Macho Burritto" at Nuevo Acapulco, you are a MAN.

By the way, one of my favorites is "authentic Mexican" or "Real Mexican" If places were truly serving bland rice in a dirty bowl with a glass of tepid water, do you think that would sell?

What percentage of the Mexican population do you think is feeding on monstorous meals topped with like 7 cheeses and fresh, warm tortillas?

Chuey's in Dallas is outstanding. I like Nuevo and the aforementioned ElCharritto locally. Donny T's as well.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Anyone been to Zocalo yet on East 4th? Relatively new, 12-18 months old.

Been meaning to try it, every time I'm over there I usually end up at House of Blues, Lola, or Pickwick.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Ziner wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

/green or red?

Well said. The southwest has some damn good mexican.

I miss that stuff so bad. Almost worth visiting just to go to a few of the old hole in the walls I used to frequent.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 am

What? No love for The Flying Burrito out in Madison. Stopping there was the highlight of playing the 4th of July softball tournament every year.

Don't know if it's still there or not, haven't played the tourney since 2003.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:What? No love for The Flying Burrito out in Madison. Stopping there was the highlight of playing the 4th of July softball tournament every year.

It's called the Lake Erie Grille now though they still serve some items off the Burrito's menu.

They had Dortmunder on tap too.

Who'd you play for Larvell? Because that's about the time I quit playing too. Actually I think that was the year exactly.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:31 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:What? No love for The Flying Burrito out in Madison. Stopping there was the highlight of playing the 4th of July softball tournament every year.

It's called the Lake Erie Grille now though they still serve some items off the Burrito's menu.

Who'd you play for Larvell? Because that's about the time I quit playing too. Actually I think that was the year exactly.

Loved me some enchiladas after playing the early game. Use to open that place up after our first games on Sat.

Out there I played w/ Members Only for U-trip
Played with Petrocom/Panini's in ASA/NSA C
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Loved me some enchiladas after playing the early game. Use to open that place up after our first games on Sat.

One of the items they left from the Flying Burrito menu is their enchiladas and the chimichangas. Good stuff. The Don Tequila's finally opened near Walmart and got their liquor license last week so all is well for those of us out here in Madison who need a spicy fix.

Dude, I had to have played with or against you at some point when I was either playing on the east side or going out to Brooklyn to play with Petrocom/what became Mullinax.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

One of the items they left from the Flying Burrito menu is their enchiladas and the chimichangas. Good stuff. The Don Tequila's finally opened near Walmart and got their liquor license last week so all is well for those of us out here in Madison who need a spicy fix.

Dude, I had to have played with or against you at some point when I was either playing on the east side or going out to Brooklyn to play with Petrocom/what became Mullinax.

I knew I played against you at some point. I played with the Petrocom faction of O'Donnell, Pisser, Eric, Euks that formed Panini's. You must've went the route with Andrews and Rebar. With Glen running the show. I always refer to them as Petrocom because if you say Panini's, well that could be one of 1,000 teams.

Guys I played with talk about just heading out to Madison and hit up the FB. Don't know if we can do the LE Grille, just wouldn't be the same. Plus one of the guys we played with doesn't live out there any longer (Dave Tessmer) Don't know if you know him. Fell on some hard times recently.

Guess I'll have to get my Mexican fix at Fiesta Jalapeno down here in Medina
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

I knew I played against you at some point. I played with the Petrocom faction of O'Donnell, Pisser, Eric, Euks that formed Panini's. You must've went the route with Andrews and Rebar. With Glen running the show. I always refer to them as Petrocom because if you say Panini's, well that could be one of 1,000 teams.

Guys I played with talk about just heading out to Madison and hit up the FB. Don't know if we can do the LE Grille, just wouldn't be the same. Plus one of the guys we played with doesn't live out there any longer (Dave Tessmer) Don't know if you know him. Fell on some hard times recently.

Guess I'll have to get my Mexican fix at Fiesta Jalapeno down here in Medina

No sir. The Grille is not worth a trip up here. Not in any way imaginable. Neither is Don Tequila's although it ain't bad.

I did go with BA and Rebar. It worked out pretty well for a couple years. An NSA C ring was nice but it was time to quit driving from Madison to Brooklyn a couple times a week and then all over the midwest every weekend with kids at home and growing up.

Love those guys though. Hoping one of them got his shit together too. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:02 am

Peeker643 wrote:No sir. The Grille is not worth a trip up here. Not in any way imaginable. Neither is Don Tequila's although it ain't bad.

I did go with BA and Rebar. It worked out pretty well for a couple years. An NSA C ring was nice but it was time to quit driving from Madison to Brooklyn a couple times a week and then all over the midwest every weekend with kids at home and growing up.

Love those guys though. Hoping one of them got his shit together too. ;-) ;) :wink:

At least we know now not to make the journey. Would have been severly disappointed

There were a couple from that team that hopefully got their shit together

Wasn't Dan Bainbridge tournament MVP when Mullinax won?

Know all about that long drive, used to (on non tournament weekends) play Sunday mornings in P-ville and play leagues down in Kent (when I lived in Old Brooklyn). All the travel out of town was like a second job at times. Now I think it's a long drive from Medina to Brookside for Sunday games.
A good friend played for The Boys out of Akron for the past 6 years. Now that's a team that gets great frequent flyer miles. He's done playing now that he's married and his elbow is toast. He played U-trip with them this year but has skipped the last 2 tourns and is skipping out on Worlds at Disney. His herat just isn't into it anymore and he doesn't like the way the game has declined locally. Can't say I blame him one bit. Though to get back OT, he did tell me about a few Tex-Mex places down in Odessa Tx he was fond of.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Los Compadres and El Puente II in Ashtabula are muy bueno.
I figured Dozen would be on here to talk about Jalapeno Loco in Mentor, free dinner sooooooooooooooooooooooooooon. :nanner:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm a Chipotle guy, whether its authentic or not....i do not care. I'm a huge fan of El Patron's in Chardon, probably because i could walk there in less than 5 minutes. They have amazing queso dip, quesodillas, and guac.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 pm

And just what is it about a fried ham & cheese donut with powdered sugar doesn't sound authentic Irish ?

FTR: I love that thing.

Nothing has ever felt more unhealthy to eat, but when that place was open on the West Side I'd eat one every few months or so when caught deep in the burbs without much in the way of quality alternatives.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:38 pm

El Rodeo
Tribegrl85

Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Tribegrl85 wrote:El Rodeo

Bingo! Their non authentic dishes are nothing to speak of IMO. Salsa is awesome, Carnitas are the best I have every had and the Machacha is fantastic as well
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby mistero » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 am

Fiesta Jalapeno has a full staff of non-english speaking mexicans in North Ridgeville, (I guess they have an East Side location too?).

It's pretty good, but the dishes I've had their are too mild for me. I'll have to order something with a bit more heat. Their salsa is number tops in my book. No big chunks of tomatos (tomato chunks are gross). It's all smoth and particle-ly.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Swerb wrote:Anyone been to Zocalo yet on East 4th? Relatively new, 12-18 months old.

Been meaning to try it, every time I'm over there I usually end up at House of Blues, Lola, or Pickwick.

Been there a few times. Solid margaritas. Good salsa and chips -- they have a few different variations of salsa and bean dips you can try. Food is merely OK if you ask me. I think it's kind of a fancy Chi-Chi's.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:14 pm

For you west siders (particularly West Parkers) the old Tom Cat Club (was most recently Kilbane's Pub,a historic building) is being renovated and will be a Mexican restaurant.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry