Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Better Food: Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives or Man Vs. Food

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Better Food?

Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives
61%
Man Vs. Food
39%

Total votes : 23

Better Food: Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives or Man Vs. Food

Unread postby GreatGoo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 am

If you could pick between eating the food on Triple D or Man vs Food which would you select?

Poll coming………………

"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Re: Better Food: Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives or Man Vs. Food

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am

Guy Fieri and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives was out at The Melt shooting about a month ago. Fieri raves over the place. Supposed to air this fall ... can't wait.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 am

You need a both option, because i would eat any of it. I have been to 2 DDD resturants and 6 Man vs Food ones. I liked the Man vs Food ones better, but I think it was just because of my small sample. Consistenly the resturants on DDD look better and are more unique, so I went with that.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 am

All 3 of the places MvF visited in Columbus are killer. Thurman's Cafe has the best burgers on the planet. If you're ever in town, stop there, you will not be disappointed. They put ham on their Thurman Burger..... Just in case a giant burger isn't enough. The Thurmandelphia Steak Sub is also incredible.

http://www.thethurmancafe.com

Bow your heads!

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:All 3 of the places MvF visited in Columbus are killer. Thurman's Cafe has the best burgers on the planet. If you're ever in town, stop there, you will not be disappointed. They put ham on their Thurman Burger..... Just in case a giant burger isn't enough. The Thurmandelphia Steak Sub is also incredible.

Bow your heads!

I am not worthy! Hell yeah, Thurman's RULES!! I hit up Thurman's at least once a year, sometimes more when going down to see the Blue Jackets. I cannot go to or even drive through Columbus without hitting up this place. Never had the Thurmandelphia but I will next time out. Had their Chicken Cordon Blue once and that too was awesome.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Isn't there a "thurmanator" burger as well???

I saw the Columbus episode you mention. It seems these establishments would qualify for a DDD visit as well.

I love watching DDD much more that MvF. Lot of unique offerings at DDD. I am partial to the family owned diner (with a lot of tradition) concept as well.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 am

OldDawg wrote:Isn't there a "thurmanator" burger as well???

I saw the Columbus episode you mention. It seems these establishments would qualify for a DDD visit as well.

I love watching DDD much more that MvF. Lot of unique offerings at DDD. I am partial to the family owned diner (with a lot of tradition) concept as well.

Yeah, the Thurmanator is a monster, it's 2+ lbs anf you get fries. The regular Thurman burger is 3/4 lb. It's not on the menu, but you can ask for it. It's kind of a right of passage for some OSU students and athletes . I made it through about 30% of that burger and most of the fries (and 4 shots of whiskey and 5 beers), I finished it for breakfast and lunch the next day.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:All 3 of the places MvF visited in Columbus are killer. Thurman's Cafe has the best burgers on the planet. If you're ever in town, stop there, you will not be disappointed. They put ham on their Thurman Burger..... Just in case a giant burger isn't enough. The Thurmandelphia Steak Sub is also incredible.

Bow your heads!

CDT. I saw the episode, but don't recall the other two eateries they visited in CBus. Do you remember what they were?? My daughter is a frosh at tOSU and heading down this weekend to start. WHen I go visit her, I would like to visit the other diners as well. We already have a Thurman's date picked out.

Edit: Just visited their website. They are talking about two-hour waits!!! Is that typical??? What is a good time to eat there to avoid the madhouse??
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Lebowski » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Both are shitty.

Man vs is more gimmicky, Diners is more greasy spoon
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 am

OldDawg wrote:CDT. I saw the episode, but don't recall the other two eateries they visited in CBus. Do you remember what they were?? My daughter is a frosh at tOSU and heading down this weekend to start. WHen I go visit her, I would like to visit the other diners as well. We already have a Thurman's date picked out.

Edit: Just visited their website. They are talking about two-hour waits!!! Is that typical??? What is a good time to eat there to avoid the madhouse??

Thurman's is packed on most evenings. It's in German Village which is about 10-15 minutes from Campus, depending on traffic. It's just one of those places that fills up quick. It's well worth the wait. You can also order Thurman's carry out if you want.

The other places are Schmidt's Sausage Haus also in German Village, which is epic you can do the Autobahn all you can eat for a good price, the garlic Knockwurst is killer. The deserts are worth the drive alone. Right now they're in full Oktoberfest mode, which will probably mean a wait there too given the huge German popultation we have here. The Ohio Deli is the place he did the challenge, it's in south CLB, on South High. Great deli all the meats are good.

I also highly reccomend Buckeye Donuts on High and 18th, that's another big OSU hot spot, open 24 hours, I spent many of early mornings there sobering up, drinking good coffee and eating really good donuts. As for other diners, there aren't alot of classic diners, I suggest The Varsity Club and Tommy's Pizza both are one West Lane Ave. Both are famous for great subs and pizza. Going to OSU, your daughter will learn good places to eat pretty fast. There are dozens of ethnic eateries and other great food. It's just a matter of learning the area, which can seem intimidating to outta towners

Here are the websites I could find, Ohio Deli doesn't seem have one.

http://www.thethurmancafe.com/

http://www.theoriginalvarsityclub.com/

http://www.schmidthaus.com/

http://www.tommyspizza.com/

http://www.buckeye-donuts.com/

Enjoy!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:36 am

Finally saw the Columbus Man vs Food last night. Gotta get to Thurmans next time Im down in CBus.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby WalterSobchak » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 am

FEE-ETI is a douche.....but I'd go with DDD. More variety.
WalterSobchak

Favorite Player: Jack Lambert
Least Favorite Player: Der-Wreck Anderson

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry