Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Guitar Hero/Rock Band

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Guitar Hero/Rock Band

Unread postby Doc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Anyone here a plastic instrument player? I confess to having no real musical ability (I've tried guitar, to no avail). So, I get my musical fix with video games.

I really only bring this up because it's right in time with some big releases...Guitar Hero 5 came out yesterday (buy the game in September and get Guitar Hero Van Halen for free by mail) and I just picked it up with Batman: AA at Best Buy because they have a buy 1 get 1 at 50% off deal this week. So, in reality, I'll be adding 3 games for $90 + tax, which is a great deal.

Also, and much more importantly, Rock Band is putting out their Beatles game next Wednesday, which is going to be the biggest music video game release ever (most important, at least), and also hopefully introduce the best band of all time to a new, younger audience. It's got 45 songs, IIRC, on disc, with Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, and Rubber Soul being release as downloadable content over the next 3 months. Needless to say, I'm incredibly stoked for this release.

I'm just hoping the real musicians don't flame this thread with the "You can't learn guitar from a plastic guitar controller." We know this, and I don't think that's the intent for most people who play these games. It's just a party game.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: Guitar Hero/Rock Band

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Hah, I'm a real musician, but I won't flame you for it. I play the games as well.

I was never really into the games that much early on. I mean, when I first played Guitar Hero 1, I actually sucked and was like "Okay, IMO, playing real guitar is way easier." But then I grew to like them a little bit more. And then I got really into them when GH released Metallica. My 2nd favorite band and just great game overall. But then when Sept. 9th rolls around... oh boy... just consider me fallen off the face of the planet. The Beatles: Rock Band is going to be awesome. I keep playing the demo Microsoft had set up at my work. It's only like 5 songs, but 5 songs is good enough for me. Better off not spoiling me.

I get a kick out of the games often because some songs I play on there I can actually play in real life... and playing it in real life is easier than playing it in the game. LOL. It's like they make it harder for you just for the sake of making it difficult.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm

I play it. I didn't at first, but my friends all do, so I started playing it just to keep up with them and ended up getting into it. REALLY looking forward to the release of Beatles Rock Band.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Since I am occasionaly short on friends, can you play rock band as only one instrument?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 pm

You absolutely can.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Doc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:23 am

So, I got super-lucky and caught wind that C&C games in Fremont had The Beatles game early. I made the 1.5 hour trek and nabbed it early today. Wow, it's beautiful game...played it for about 4 hours with my friend on his 55" OLED TV. Absolutely beautiful. Incredibly fun. Definitely worth 3 hours of driving to get it 4-5 days early.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby Stu » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:22 am

the Beatles suck. :bag:
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Doc wrote:So, I got super-lucky and caught wind that C&C games in Fremont had The Beatles game early...

What's C&C?

The game is street-dated for all vendors, doesn't matter who you are. C&C should be reprimanded, but they probably won't because of some damn reason.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby RC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm probably the biggest 'plastic instrument' gamer on this board.

I've probably spent around 1000 dollars between Rock Band, Rock Band 2, about 350 different downloaded songs and all the extra instruments.

I've bought the ION Drum Rocker which is actually a real electronic drum kit that you can hook into your Xbox 360 with a special brain and play the game on real drums instead of those little plastic ones.

This game has actually made me get interested in playing a real instrument after playing this game and that is why I bought the drum kit to learn how to play them for real. My wife and I play all the time and also we have Rock Band parties every Sunday to play with all of us.

Last year I taped all the Browns games since playing Rock Band was more fun than watching Anderson play with himself every Sunday. I'll probably do the same thing again this year.

And yes I do plan on getting the Beatles Rock Band as well as LEGO Rock Band as well. I find the Rock Band series in general way more fun and better charted than the Guitar Hero series.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Rock on.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby bks92II » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 pm

RC wrote:I'm probably the biggest 'plastic instrument' gamer on this board.

I've probably spent around 1000 dollars between Rock Band, Rock Band 2, about 350 different downloaded songs and all the extra instruments.

I've bought the ION Drum Rocker which is actually a real electronic drum kit that you can hook into your Xbox 360 with a special brain and play the game on real drums instead of those little plastic ones.

This game has actually made me get interested in playing a real instrument after playing this game and that is why I bought the drum kit to learn how to play them for real. My wife and I play all the time and also we have Rock Band parties every Sunday to play with all of us.

Last year I taped all the Browns games since playing Rock Band was more fun than watching Anderson play with himself every Sunday. I'll probably do the same thing again this year.

And yes I do plan on getting the Beatles Rock Band as well as LEGO Rock Band as well. I find the Rock Band series in general way more fun and better charted than the Guitar Hero series.

Got rock band for 360 and love it never stop playing it even though not the Jimmy Hendricks on the guitar. Thinking about maybe getting rock band 2 and maybe guitar 5. Got the Ac/Dc live rock band as well super fun. Any one that has r.b. 2 or/ and guirar hero 5 recommend it?
Long live the King...In Cleveland
bks92II

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: NY,BOS,MICH,PITT

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture