Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Guitarist?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best Guitarist?

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:27 pm

A big part of this debate is always personal musical preference in regards to each individual guitarist named.

Some people like Jimi Hendrix a lot more than Jimmy page b/c they like Hendrix songs more than they like Zeppelin songs. Doesn't make either guitarist truly better (with exception to some technical differences). To comment that SRV or Hendrix creating some moving and awe inspiring music as an argument to their greatness over a Page is being disingenuous and obtuse in not recognizing that Page too was a HUGE part of some incredible awe inspiring music. Page's versatility was sickening, if he went a different route where he was bigger than his band (obviously he wasn't in LZ) then he just might be considered the best without question compared to the others who WERE their bands.

If you took personal recognition and overall band success out of the equation a guy like Eddie Van Halen would probably be considered the best more often than he is or more often than most others. But saying EVH is the best some how implies Van Halen the group was the best, albeit while they were not it is not a fair assumption to make if EVH gets thrown into a debate like this.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:04 pm

FUDU wrote:A big part of this debate is always personal musical preference in regards to each individual guitarist named.

Some people like Jimi Hendrix a lot more than Jimmy page b/c they like Hendrix songs more than they like Zeppelin songs. Doesn't make either guitarist truly better (with exception to some technical differences). To comment that SRV or Hendrix creating some moving and awe inspiring music as an argument to their greatness over a Page is being disingenuous and obtuse in not recognizing that Page too was a HUGE part of some incredible awe inspiring music. Page's versatility was sickening, if he went a different route where he was bigger than his band (obviously he wasn't in LZ) then he just might be considered the best without question compared to the others who WERE their bands.

If you took personal recognition and overall band success out of the equation a guy like Eddie Van Halen would probably be considered the best more often than he is or more often than most others. But saying EVH is the best some how implies Van Halen the group was the best, albeit while they were not it is not a fair assumption to make if EVH gets thrown into a debate like this.

I've never heard SRV's music described as moving and awe inspiring. Phenomenal guitarist, up there with the best obviously, but his actual musical accomplishments aren't on the level of Hendrix or Page IMO. I'd rather listen to a Jerry Garcia, who was a great great guitarist even if not in the top echelon but made music that is more interesting (at least to me) than a guy like SRV or EVH.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby tecs » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Great selections all, but any list of the greatest guitarists that doesn't include Richard Thompson is incomplete.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby TIMMAH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:41 pm

me

Trains, planes, or automobiles *cocks shotgun* ... better have my DONUTS.
TIMMAH

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: The Steelers

Unread postby Big Money Player » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:One name that has not been mentioned ye is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.
Hendrix named him as his favorite guitarist after Gibbon's first band opened for the JHE.

1. EVH
2. Alex Lifeson (yes, I'm a Rush honk)
3. John Petrucci
4. Eric Johnson
5. Buckethead
6. Randy Rhodes
7. Brad Gillis
8. Zakk Wylde
9. Slash
10. Jimmy Page
11. Yngwie Malmsteen
12. Dave Mustaine
13. Joe Satriani
14. Jeff Beck
15. SRV
16. Gary Moore
17. Billy Gibbons
18. Steve Vai
19. Rik Emmet
20. Neil Schon

Just saying...
"You know who invented this game, don't you?!?!?"
Big Money Player

Favorite Player: Mike Piper
Least Favorite Player: The Rat

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am

Sorry but to completely avoid Hendrix in your top 20 speaks of little credibility.

FUDU

Unread postby Big Money Player » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I like his music, but for some reason his playing seems to be nothing special to me...
Big Money Player

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:19 am

Big Money Player wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:One name that has not been mentioned ye is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.
Hendrix named him as his favorite guitarist after Gibbon's first band opened for the JHE.

1. EVH
2. Alex Lifeson (yes, I'm a Rush honk)
3. John Petrucci
4. Eric Johnson
5. Buckethead
6. Randy Rhodes
7. Brad Gillis
8. Zakk Wylde
9. Slash
10. Jimmy Page
11. Yngwie Malmsteen
12. Dave Mustaine
13. Joe Satriani
14. Jeff Beck
15. SRV
16. Gary Moore
17. Billy Gibbons
18. Steve Vai
19. Rik Emmet
20. Neil Schon

Just saying...

sorryI didn't notice Gibbons in your post, I stopped reading after Gillis and Wylde.
That'll learn me
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Big Money Player wrote:I like his music, but for some reason his playing seems to be nothing special to me...

Seriously. How can Hendrix compete with the genius who composed this

Poignant.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Big Money Player wrote:I like his music, but for some reason his playing seems to be nothing special to me...

Seriously. How can Hendrix compete with the genius who composed this

Poignant.

At least EVH is also considered one of the best. He's got guys I've never even heard of on his list (not that I'm a music professor but I know pop culture pretty well). The guitarist for Dream Theatre is #3 and he's also got the guitarists of both Journey and Triumph as better than Hendrix (I had to look up all their names).

Hendrix did stuff that people still can't do today. Hell if it weren't for him half the people on all these lists probably never would have picked up a guitar.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

At least EVH is also considered one of the best. He's got guys I've never even heard of on his list (not that I'm a music professor but I know pop culture pretty well). The guitarist for Dream Theatre is #3 and he's also got the guitarists of both Journey and Triumph as better than Hendrix (I had to look up all their names).

Hendrix did stuff that people still can't do today. Hell if it weren't for him half the people on all these lists probably never would have picked up a guitar.

There are plenty of guitarists that have done things that others have not replicated. Quite a bit of Hendrix's stuff had to do with knowing how to properly milk an amp and other effects. Nothing wrong with that, but different equipment can change what you can do.

And most of what Hendrix did was successfully replicated and taken to another level by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

And we can claim that some would not have played if not for Hendrix. But Hendrix would not have played if not for guys like Chuck Berry, Les Paul, Bo Diddley, Chet Atkins, BB King, etc.

There's a long stream of people that have been inspired by others that came before stretching back millenia.

And I think some of the Hendrix mystique has to do with the drug induced hysteria that many people were in when they saw him live. Definitely talented, but the stuff I've seen and heard doesn't set him him and shoulders over every other guitarists. There've been so many great guitarists over the last hundred years with a variety of styles. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Greg Allman, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, and the list could go on.

And I always like to bring up another of my boys, The Edge, who isn't a monster on the fret board but has also done stuff that no one has been able to replicate because of how he works with delays, splitting his signal, and creating his own effects. Few have spent as much time as he has in changing how his instrument functions and he's embraced interesting inventions like the infinite guitar, etc.

Ultimately opinions on guitarists are as subjective as opinions on music. There are a lot of different bands, guitarists, drummers, bassists that you can love for different reasons. This is what makes music so great. It's so diverse, so vast and styles can vary so much. Even slight variations can produce decidely different results. That's one reason why I love playing, writing, and listening. It's amazing how much is available to you on a fret board, on a keyboard, in a set of drums, or even in the mouthpiece and valves of a trumpet or other horn. And it's even more amazing to consider how many millions of different melodies have been written over the years going back to ancient times.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Big Money Player » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:02 am

2 points, this thread is titled Best Guitarist, is it not? It's not titled best guitarist that plays in your favorite band or makes the best songs.

Also I stated that it was in no particular order.

As MacPhisto stated, this is the beuaty of music, what I think or like could be completely different from everybody on this board. Does that make me uninformed? I don't think so...

And this just in, John Petrucci is a witch and I don't even like Dream Theater...
Big Money Player

Unread postby stonepm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Dickey Bettes---If you've ever heard "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", "Seven Turns" or "Jessica" you know what I'm talking about. Anyone that can make a song as cool as Jessica, 10 minutes long using only 2 chords has to be on the list.

Trey Anastasio--He takes shit that's not music and makes it sound good

Warren Haynes--He's Dickey Bettes, only younger.

And CDT is right, Buckethead is up high on the list.

start about 2 1/2 minutes in:

Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:58 pm

CDT - Did you get wit Buckethead's tribute to Bron yet?

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Nice DS video, but I think the ultimate Knopfler was Brothers in Arms

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 pm

14 year olds, dude.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Is that the record for bumping an old thread, 4 years?

FUDU

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 am

It's called grave digging, not bumping.

MS needs to stay off the internet after 8pm
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture