Text Size

High School Sports

st.ignatius vs odessa permian texas

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

st.ignatius vs odessa permian texas

Unread postby odellbuckeye » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm

i am originally from the cleveland area and am a big st.iggy fan. i now live in houston and there is a big rumor going around that st.iggy may play odessa permian texas in cleveland in the very near future. now i would fly back home for that game so can someone shed some light on the possibility, go cats!
odellbuckeye

Favorite Player: brady quinn
Least Favorite Player: any non browns playe

Re: st.ignatius vs odessa permian texas

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 am

Interestingly I've seen Permian several times and never seen Iggy. I moved to west texas courtesy of the air force in Jan. 88 before Iggy's big run. Has Permian been good lately? Permian has the name reputation though....Mojo Mojo

My wife taught at Abilene HS which has been strong for a while, and back in the day they were all the same district so I'd see Permian once or twice a year but I think a lot of that changed as school sizes changed.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby odellbuckeye » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 pm

dmiles, appreciate the response. permian has been 12-1 the past two seasons, gary gaines the coach whom lead permian to the 1989 5-a state and co-national title with st.iggy is back. they got clobbered by duncanville in the opener saturday 33-14. i work on ships and i want to line up my sailing schedule so that i can make the game if it is going to happen. right now we are ducking these frigging tropical storms in the gulf of mexico, we lost 85 oil rigs to damage from hurricane ike last year. cost alot of jobs for the rig workers but gas prices will rise again and we will make our oil money. if you hear anything else please let me know friend.
odellbuckeye

Favorite Player: brady quinn
Least Favorite Player: any non browns playe

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 pm

amdg broham.

year?

no problem scheduling the locals anymore (thank you mentor & glenville) , so i have my doubts that we'll be palying anyone south of the nati.

I'd love to serve texas tho.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Gaines was my wife's boss at one point when he was AD/Football coach at Abilene High. Actually she was lowly 9th grade volleyball or maybe JV and girls track so I don't think she even interacted with him. He was not like I expected... very business-like, TSV type guy. Considering all the schools he's bounced around at over the years I was sort of expecting a little more meathead-rah-rah mentality. I know he did a stint at Texas Tech, San Angelo Central and Abilene Christian so he likes his West Texas football. Gaines sort of got the program (Abilene) on track but whoever came in after really spiked up the program.

The guy gaines replaced, Darren Allman, went to school with my wife and we even ate with him and his wife (she might have been fiance I can't recall) a couple of times at the "El Chico's". They might have actually dated at one point but it's don't ask don't tell for me... He was a Permian grad who played during the season of Friday Night Lights as a Jr. and he felt the book was overblown like everyone else. I was really suprised to see he was Permian's head coach those last few years before bolting for Westlake. He must be looking to move up in the world to leave his alma mater and big-name program. Of course Westlake is big too....
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:21 pm

JB wrote:amdg broham.

year?

no problem scheduling the locals anymore (thank you mentor & glenville) , so i have my doubts that we'll be palying anyone south of the nati.

I'd love to serve texas tho.

JB what are you talking about no problem scheduling locals, Iggy (and Ed's) play hardly any locals anymore.

Which begs the question for me, why can't Ed's get any locals anymore. Ed's is good enough to schedule a few of the big boys but not good enough to scare off the large quantity of locals that will not play them anymore, what gives?

BTW are there any schools in a 500 mile radius that play tougher schedules than Ed/Iggy, sheesh.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Lubber » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:13 pm

FUDU wrote:JB what are you talking about no problem scheduling locals, Iggy (and Ed's) play hardly any locals anymore.

Which begs the question for me, why can't Ed's get any locals anymore. Ed's is good enough to schedule a few of the big boys but not good enough to scare off the large quantity of locals that will not play them anymore, what gives?

BTW are there any schools in a 500 mile radius that play tougher schedules than Ed/Iggy, sheesh.

I would argue that St. Xavier's schedule is just as tough if not tougher that Ed/Iggy. This year alone they played 2 undefeated teams and 3 teams with one loss.

Ed's/Iggy/Benny all have trouble with locals because most local schools are in conferences and there are only so many non-conference weeks. Therefore they have to go to Columbus, Cincy, Toledo, etc to find oppponents.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Return to High School Sports