Text Size

High School Sports

My School's sports league could become the best in the state

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

My School's sports league could become the best in the state

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Federal League explores 10-team format, that will include Massillon, Harding

CANTON —

CANTON If expansion is coming to the Federal League, it will include Massillon and Warren Harding or no one at all.

The league strategic planning committee met Monday morning and took up the issue as three schools showed interest in joining the league.

Essentially, the league decided it needs more time to consider the ramifications of a 10-team league. Massillon, Harding and Mentor were the only applicants, and it was decided that Mentor isn’t a logistical fit, Federal League Commissioner Joe Eaton said. Mentor officials wanted to be considered only if there was interest from schools north of Stark County.

Eaton and athletic directors from the eight member schools — GlenOak, McKinley, Jackson, Hoover, Lake, Perry, Fitch and Boardman — will meet April 20.

“We want to consider what is best for the current league as well as future members,” Eaton said.

“We need to discuss further why it will work or why it won’t work. Of course, travel has a lot to do with it. League schedules have a lot to do with it. We looked at Massillon and Warren Harding very closely.

“We’re going to explore a 10-team format with Massillon and Harding in the mix. The athletic directors will come back to the strategic planning committee on April 21 with a recommendation, and we will decide then whether we continue to look at expansion.”

If they decide a 10-team league can work, applications for membership will be extended to the two schools. Then Massillon and Harding would make proposals in June.

A final vote would take place in August. Expansion would start with the 2011-12 school year.

Scheduling gets interesting in a 10-team format. The league would use a system similar to the Big Ten and other college conferences where two teams rotate off a given school’s schedule every two years. Eaton said historical rivalries would stay intact.

“In football, for example, in a 10-team league, we’re not going to play nine weeks of Federal League football,” Eaton said.

The Federal League predominantly includes the largest and most competitive schools in Stark County, with the exception of Massillon.

Washington High School Athletic Director Tim Ridgley has made it clear his school wants in the league and needs to be in it because of the expense of scheduling junior high school and junior varsity games with teams outside Stark County.

“We’re pleased we’re still in consideration,” Ridgley said. “I’m sure the Federal League will do the right thing for everybody, including the current members, which is most important. They have a responsibility to people in their league, and they have to make sure those people are taken care of. The fact that we’re a part of these discussions pleases us.

“It didn’t come as a surprise. We’ll see what happens.”

Inclusion of Harding could control some travel costs. It would give Fitch and Boardman another nearby league member and eliminate at least one trip to Stark County.

Eaton stressed there wasn’t any great opposition to exploring Massillon and Harding as member schools.

“If there was, we’d have taken a vote today,” Eaton said. “What we need to do between now and April 20 is find out if a 10-team league is in everyone’s best interest.”

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x180627 ... en-Harding
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: My School's sports league could become the best in the state

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:13 am

Didn't Ignatius hang 41 on assillion in the first 24 minutes this past season? Tom McD and all that dumb luck left Canton last century.

Just sayin'.

Might have been that good in 1955 Broham, but Stark County isn't the mecca on the field that the newspapers made it back then. C-town and the Nasty Nati is where it is now. Rock 'em or not.

BTW - You seem Time Mag this week and are you gonna go see the documentary on the Harvard-Yale Game in 1969 where Brian Dowling got hurt and only went 9 - 0 - 1 ?

In all seriousness, better than that goofey D 4 Lake County centric POV on this forum last year.

Ben Madden, POTY?

Really? Seriously? GMaFB.

10 - 1 he's paying tuition this fall.

PS - Scott McVey wants to eat Stark County.

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:23 am

The Ignatius Ponce is correct. Massilon is and has been on the decline. McKinley... feh.

I have doubts on how Massillon would fare against The 'Ville these days. The real 'Ville not Glenville.

:lmfao: <-- Me laughing at Stark County
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:11 pm

non beer induced take....

here is the best conference. no one else is close.

http://www.gclsports.com/

too bad the old crown conference died.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:03 pm

I have seen McVey play multiple times, dude is a beast. I have to say though for the most part that highlight video is kinda of weak.

Hell, just show the whole Glenville game in the Reg. Finals. That was all a school like Ohio State should need to see IMO.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:25 pm

The overall quality may be getting better, as Hoover beat McKinley last night.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Return to High School Sports