Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Is Andre Davis any damn good?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Is Andre Davis any damn good?

Unread postby brotherbone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 pm

Give me the goods you boys who break down the Defense, I usualy keen in on the O more than the D.

but a whole lot of attention has put on this kid....

He doesn't seem like a stud to me...

Whadyalls...tinks?
Never Hook with a Hooker.
Angelo Dundee
brotherbone

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:05 am

I have never been a big fan of Davis. I think he makes too many of his tackles 4 or 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. He doesn't seem to fill holes all that well. Part of that could be attributed to the horrible defensive line play, but not all of it. I guess if Romeo and Phil think he deserves some love, I'll roll with it. But he is on a short leash in my book.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:39 am

He fits very well in the ILB spot in a 3-4. Mobile in pursuit and someone you can depend on. Quick to react and decent at sheding blocks. I think with Big Ted up front he will continue to grow this year.
SpaZDawG

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:41 am

We'll find out this year. I was never that impressed, but given the likes of Jason Fisk and Ethan Kelley in front of him, it's hard telling.

With Ted Washington tying up blockers in front of him now, if he doesn't show marked improvement...then we'll know.

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:48 am

Pup wrote:I have never been a big fan of Davis. I think he makes too many of his tackles 4 or 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. He doesn't seem to fill holes all that well. Part of that could be attributed to the horrible defensive line play, but not all of it. I guess if Romeo and Phil think he deserves some love, I'll roll with it. But he is on a short leash in my book.
Um ... isn't Andra Davis the LB and Andre Davis the WR?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:22 pm

I like Andra Davis as a player and a person. He's a very good guy. Loves it here in Cleveland.

How good is he? At his best, even with (hopefully) a very improved supporting cast around him, he's not quite a Pro Bowl level player. He reminds me of Mike Johnson alot, who was my favorite defender as a kid. I loved that LB unit. The year they had Clay, Mike, Eddie, and Grayson ... that defense was bad ass.

But Andra Davis is a good defensive player. Doesn't miss tackles, always around the ball. Pretty good football IQ. Makes a ton of tackles. The other guys like him, and he's developed into a leader on this unit.

The fact that Grantham, Romeo, and Savage like him enough to lock him up also tells me alot.

With Big Ted playing in front of him, McGinest flanking him, and more help coming in the draft ... Davis should be primed for the best year of his career as he enters his prime.

Plus, I just like the guy. He's easy to cheer for. One of my favorite players.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:31 pm

He's a solid NFL linebacker. Nothing flashy; nothing spectacular. He's a guy that will look better this year with an improved defense around him. He'll never be the guy of a defensive unit, but he is a good complimentary player. The problem has been that he has had to assume the guy role on this defense for years because of the shitty talent around him.

I will be interested in tracking his improvement in 06 with Big Ted, Willie, and some high draft picks around him.

(The Mike Johnson comparison is pretty accurate)
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL