Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Guitarist?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Best Guitarist?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Who you got?

For me it's easy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et6BSDMNLY&feature=related[/youtube]
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best Guitarist?

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

I second the Buckethead motion. Definitely #1 in my book

For converation purposes, Clapton, Page, Hammett, Slash, Santana, and Tom Morello all gotta be up there.

I'm sure you'll get some mentions of Hendrix, Les Paul, and Satriani as well.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cease » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:51 pm

Maybe splitting into categories would help.

Alive: Jeff Beck
Dead: Jimi Hendrix
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Split it anyway you guys want, no rules. All opinion. More than one, dead/alive, no matter.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Close 2nd...

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:32 pm

I second both Vaughn and Van Halen. I don't really have my own pick, but I just want to say that I think Hendrix is overrated. And I'm a guitar player of all genres of 15 years.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm

a man with a bucket on his head??
srsly?
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:52 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:a man with a bucket on his head??
srsly?

Did you listen to the music? He's beyond talented. He's one of the few guitarist that can use a killswitch with skill (Tom Morello does too, but not near to the ability of Buckethead). He's got incredible reach with his fingers making it possible to do extreme stretching from frets.

The bucket is part of his persona, along with the expressionless mask. It used to to a KFC bucket with the words "funeral" scrawled across it, but they took him to court. It's about the music, not the musician.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 pm

1. Hendrix
2. EVH
3. Clapton

Goodnight.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm

All of the above. Angus Young's not too shabby either.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cease » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Hendrix is over rated. :lmfao:
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 pm

1. Hendrix
2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Hendrix
5. Everyone else

I've never understood this debate. It's like trying to argue that Jerry Rice wasn't the best NFL WR of all time. The man did things with the guitar that people have been unsuccessfully trying to recreate since he croaked.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Swerb wrote:1. Hendrix
2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Hendrix
5. Everyone else

I've never understood this debate. It's like trying to argue that Jerry Rice wasn't the best NFL WR of all time. The man did things with the guitar that people have been unsuccessfully trying to recreate since he croaked.

OT

To come off a s a complete and utter homer, Couldn't an argument be made for Paul Warfield to be in talks of GOAT?

and I'm certainly not dissing on Rice, dude is one of my favorites of all time next to Randy Moss for receiver.
Last edited by Triple-S on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Devil's Advocate: Hendrix was an innovator, no question, without him music sounds totaly different than it does today. But there are more talented guitarists today, people who took what Hendrix laid down and expanded on it. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, SRV, can all do what Hendrix did on the guitar and more.

I love Hendrix, he was more musically influential than anyone other than Robert Johnson, more than Beatles, more than The Rolling Stones, more than anybody. On pure talent alone, he is not the best ever, top 5 for sure.

The Jerry Rice argument doesn't work, Hendrix's body of work was cut short in his prime, Rice played well past his prime.

That's why I picked Buckethead, he's an innovator and a superb song writer, not just a soloist.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 pm

2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Hendrix
5. Everyone else

I am a huge EVH honk and even I know he is #2. There is no debate.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm

It's been 40 years since he was in his hey day and he is still the standard that all the rest are compared to. Hendrix. The discussion ends there.

Other favorites: (in no particular order)

Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Bill Frisell
Neil Young
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Johnny Winter
Ry Cooder
Jonny Lang
Carlos Santana
Les Paul (Mostly for technical contributions)
Robert Johnson (mostly for mythology)
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Hendrix
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Devil's Advocate: Hendrix was an innovator, no question, without him music sounds totaly different than it does today. But there are more talented guitarists today, people who took what Hendrix laid down and expanded on it. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, SRV, can all do what Hendrix did on the guitar and more.

I love Hendrix, he was more musically influential than anyone other than Robert Johnson, more than Beatles, more than The Rolling Stones, more than anybody. On pure talent alone, he is not the best ever, top 5 for sure.

The Jerry Rice argument doesn't work, Hendrix's body of work was cut short in his prime, Rice played well past his prime.

That's why I picked Buckethead, he's an innovator and a superb song writer, not just a soloist.

That's like saying a freshly minted Physicist from MIT is a better scientist than Einstein or Newton. Of course people who come later can do more, they are building on what has already been accomplished.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Devil's Advocate: Hendrix was an innovator, no question, without him music sounds totaly different than it does today. But there are more talented guitarists today, people who took what Hendrix laid down and expanded on it. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, SRV, can all do what Hendrix did on the guitar and more.

That's like saying a freshly minted Physicist from MIT is a better scientist than Einstein or Newton. Of course people who come later can do more, they are building on what has already been accomplished.

Right, and I get that, but if we're going to say the people who laid the foundation are the best, then the best ever is Robert Johnson and the other early bluesmen of the early 20th century, If not for them and the chords they created, there would be no Hendrix.

Hendrix was incredible, but could he temelo pick like Buckethead? Could he tap like Vai or Satriani? Those styles weren't coined by Hendrix. His greatness was more than musical it was the influence to make these guitarist today pick up an axe and shred. In terms of that, there are no greater guitarist, only very few equals. But on talent alone, he's not the best.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

Right, and I get that, but if we're going to say the people who laid the foundation are the best, then the best ever is Robert Johnson and the other early bluesmen of the early 20th century, If not for them and the chords they created, there would be no Hendrix.

Hendrix was incredible, but could he temelo pick like Buckethead? Could he tap like Vai or Satriani? Those styles weren't coined by Hendrix. His greatness was more than musical it was the influence to make these guitarist today pick up an axe and shred. In terms of that, there are no greater guitarist, only very few equals. But on talent alone, he's not the best.

I would differentiate between greatness arising from talent/artistry and greatness arising from technical skills.
aoxo1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I think they're one and the same. I don't think any of the guys I mentioned are any less artistic or talented than Hendrix. They may not light guitars on fire or play with their teeth, but how much of that was drug fueled? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

The pickless wonder is the best guitarist. Mark Knopfler. It's not even close because of the heart. Hendrix is usually the fallback for a lot of people who don't play. Great? Sure. But not the best. Definitely would take Stevie Ray Vaughn and several others over Hendrix. You get overrated when you die tragically and early.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9qdd6GdTg&feature=related[/youtube]

And another finger picker, Lindsey Buckingham, is severely underrated. Enjoy him more than Hendrix or many others. His solo work is fantastic as is his Fleetwood Mac stuff.

Two great finger pickers that can play two parts simultaneously. A lot of the big names people know can't play their stuff, but they can play theirs.

Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby MartyM » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 am

In no particular order

Randy Rhodes
Satriani
Van Halen
Hendrix
Clapton
S R Vaughn
Official TCF Photographer
http://www.photosbymartyllc.com
http://www.photos_by_marty.fototime.com

Ask me about custom Fatheads

“The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” - V. Lombardi
MartyM

Least Favorite Player: PittsPuke

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

Surprised no one has listed BB King.

Certainly not the "greatest" but should get a mention, I woud have thought.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 am

This is a very hard subject to voice an opinion on because everyone has a different criteria to define the best. The most common names have already been mentioned and could all be considered, including L. Buckingham, who I feel is very underrated). Is it just in the rock genre?

Do you consider someone like Chuck Berry who brought a very signature lick and redefined it for the following decade of recording or is he more influential?

a list of guitarists not mentioned yet that could be considered
Duane Allman
Buddy Guy
Jimmy Page
Dick Dale
Steve Vai
Bo Diddley

surprised no one has come on here yet screaming how "Slash" should be at the top of the list.
(He shouldn't, JMO)
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Hendrix
5. Everyone else

Couldn't have put it any better. At the top of the list for everyone else is Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn. Oh and Jimmy Page.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:12 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:The pickless wonder is the best guitarist. Mark Knopfler. It's not even close because of the heart. Hendrix is usually the fallback for a lot of people who don't play. Great? Sure. But not the best. Definitely would take Stevie Ray Vaughn and several others over Hendrix. You get overrated when you die tragically and early.

As soon as you said "pickless wonder" I immediately thought of Lindsey Buckingham. Definitely underrated, like you said. Excellent choice that wouldn't normally be made in a thread like this.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

1. Dimebag Darrell
1a. Zakk Wylde
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 pm

Overall, there's no question. (not for the closed minded...)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxHdWQo5q0&feature=related[/youtube]
who needs a rhythm guitarist? or a singer, for that matter?

Others:
Randy Rhodes and Angus Young for metal
Slash and Eddie van Halen and Jeff LaBar for glam
Jeff Healey (how could you not root for the guy?)
Kenny Wayne Sheppard another great blues guitarist
Tommy Iommi and Keith Richards, for the most memorable riffs
Mark Knopfler for setting a mood
Joe Walsh for his slide
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Big Money Player » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 pm

Tons of great points and opinions here, I think if you come up with something that is really groundbreaking FIRST, you are the man! I think if people take what has been done and expand on that, then they can be great themselves, but if you just keep playing what someone else played, well, you're just a schmuck...like myself!

I also think there are great guitarists in many different types of music, tough to pick just one overall. So here is my list in no particular order-

1. EVH
2. Alex Lifeson (yes, I'm a Rush honk)
3. John Petrucci
4. Eric Johnson
5. Buckethead
6. Randy Rhodes
7. Brad Gillis
8. Zakk Wylde
9. Slash
10. Jimmy Page
11. Yngwie Malmsteen
12. Dave Mustaine
13. Joe Satriani
14. Jeff Beck
15. SRV
16. Gary Moore
17. Billy Gibbons
18. Steve Vai
19. Rik Emmet
20. Neil Schon

I guess that's about it... THE best, I'm not so sure you can say that...
"You know who invented this game, don't you?!?!?"
Big Money Player

Favorite Player: Mike Piper
Least Favorite Player: The Rat

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Just because no one else mentioned them:
Django
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY0FF4iR9Cw&feature=related[/youtube]

John McLaughlin
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I think they're one and the same. I don't think any of the guys I mentioned are any less artistic or talented than Hendrix. They may not light guitars on fire or play with their teeth, but how much of that was drug fueled? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wake me up when any of them produce something as enduring, moving, and beautiful as what Hendrix did. No doubt they are hugely technically proficient, and if that's how you define it then OK.
aoxo1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 am

Buckethead's Soothsayer is as moving and beautiful as anything Hendrix did, JMHO. Enduring? Well time will tell. Hendrix is timeless, no arguing that. Jimi will be just as good 100 years from now. And chances are, this same argument will still taking place.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 am

SRV.

End of thread.

Throw name, no gimmic.

Now I'm done.

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 am

nm

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:38 am

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 am

Versatility. Another reason why Buckethead is awesome.

Crushing riffs into melodic beauty.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsi3g5s-zs&feature=related[/youtube]
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 am

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:46 am

JB wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:a man with a bucket on his head??
srsly?

Did you listen to the music?

The bucket is part of his persona, along with the expressionless mask. It used to to a KFC bucket with the words "funeral" scrawled across it, but they took him to court. It's about the music, not the musician.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/l/lol.htm

I'm impervious to your silly taunts.

Gimmick? The music speaks itself.

I win! ;-) ;) :wink:

And SRV is in my top 3......
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 am

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 am

nm nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 am

lol "Contrived".

You are worth a chuckle.

Do you want to write for my Music Magazine i'm starting?

You can do a an old fogey opinion piece. Write it with a type writer from your rocking chair if you want.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 am

nm

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:01 am

JB wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol "Contrived".

You are worth a chuckle.

Do you want to write for my Music Magazine i'm starting?

You can do a an old fogey opinion piece. Write it with a type writer from your rocking chair if you want.

I wear face makeup and fast food containers on my head.

Thus I am fuckin' motzart with an axe.

Don't be a dumb fuck cdt. you are too good.

Good luck with the rag. I did concert reviews for 5 years in the 90s son. Saw a shitload of bands comped. good luck.

I don't know what his message is, I think it has something to do with chickens. But the music is awesome. He could wear a suit and tie and it would still be great. You get over the mask and bucket, it's just what he does.

Did you ever see the getups Motzart wore?

Sadly, I have no time to start a magazine.

I love these boards.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 am

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 am

nm
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:37 am

I've heard of it, that's all that matters to me.

For fuck's sake man. It's not the goddamn day of judgement, it's a bullshitting about music.

I like Buckethead, you don't, that's fine.

I love Jimi, SRV and Clapton too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby RC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:14 pm

He may not be the best guitarist but he is a hell of a songwriter and he's not exactly a bum on the guitar either

And you gotta love the windmill......

Yes, I'm biased toward The Who.

Also, above someone else mentioned Dimebag Darrell. Was awesome for Pantera and after. Best guitarist I've ever seen personally.

RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

2. Hendrix
3. Hendrix
4. Hendrix
5. Everyone else

Same could be said about a few of the others mentioned as well though Rich.

Page did things with a guitar that still influence young bands, one that hit it big and ones that did not.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:04 am

One name that has not been mentioned ye is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.
Hendrix named him as his favorite guitarist after Gibbon's first band opened for the JHE.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture