Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

King of the Hill is done.

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

King of the Hill is done.

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGVrnDAe8Y

[08.10.09 - 06:06 AM]
"KING OF THE HILL" SERVES UP TEXAS-SIZE SERIES FINALE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, ON FOX
Released by FOX
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

"KING OF THE HILL" SERVES UP TEXAS-SIZE SERIES FINALE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, ON FOX

After 13 seasons of beer, barbecue, bickering and bonding, the Hill family delivers a Southern-style send-off in a one-hour series finale episode of KING OF THE HILL airing Sunday, Sept. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Since its debut in 1997, KING OF THE HILL has followed the life of HANK HILL (Mike Judge), his wife, PEGGY (Kathy Najimy), their 13-year-old son, BOBBY (Pamela Adlon), their 18-year-old niece, LUANNE (Brittany Murphy), her husband LUCKY (Tom Petty), their newborn baby girl GRACIE and his beer guzzling neighborhood buddies, DALE (Johnny Hardwick), BILL (Stephen Root) and BOOMHAUER (Judge).

In the series finale episode, "The Boy Can't Help It" / "The Honeymooners," Bobby becomes quite the ladies' man when several girls in his class consider him a potential date for the Homecoming dance. When he realizes the girls are just playing with his emotions and are not really that interested, he asks his pal Connie to the dance. Also in the episode, Hank is shocked when his mother announces she is marrying a man she has only known for a few weeks. Soon after, the newlyweds celebrate by purchasing an RV and heading to Hank's. When Hank's mom and new stepfather have a heated argument, she takes off with the RV and Hank is left to rescue his mother once again.

In addition to the regular cast, KING OF THE HILL has featured special guest voice appearances by the likes of Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew McConaughey, Meryl Streep, Bernie Mac, Reese Witherspoon, Pamela Anderson, Willie Nelson, Sally Field, Jason Bateman, Rene Zellweger, Johnny Knoxville, No Doubt and the Dixie Chicks.

The award-winning half-hour animated comedy series has received numerous accolades, including an Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program. The series is translated into numerous languages and is licensed in almost 50 countries around the world.

Mike Judge and Greg Daniels are co-creators/executive producers and John Altschuler, Dave Krinsky, Jim Dauterive, Garland Testa, Howard Klein and Michael Rotenberg are executive producers for KING OF THE HILL, which is a 20th Century Fox Television Production in association with Deedle-Dee Productions, Judgemental Films and 3 Arts Entertainment.

Sad to see this show go, It's really grown on me over the years. Rusty Shackleford AKA Dale Gribble is one of the greatest characters in TV History. It's a shame that, The Simpson's, who have been past expiration for about 10 seasons now and the show that's replacing it "The Cleveland Show" get to stay on the air over more KOTH.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: King of the Hill is done.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 am

Agree on all your sentiments. King of the Hill is a great show.

I don't really know why FOX is all about this Family Guy spin-off. Family Guy has been getting progressively worse since 2005 and I just don't think Seth MacFarlane has it anymore.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Agree on all your sentiments. King of the Hill is a great show.

I don't really know why FOX is all about this Family Guy spin-off. Family Guy has been getting progressively worse since 2005 and I just don't think Seth MacFarlane has it anymore.

Macfarlene is falling into the same trap that The Simpsons did a few years back. Going somewhat political and shoving a lot of liberal ideology down people's throats, making it near impossible to watch.

If I really wanted political satire, I'd go and watch The Daily Show or The Colbert Report (which I do sometimes). I came to watch something to get my mind off of things and have a few laughs, not to hear about Stem Cell research.

I like King of the Hill, because while they do have a bit of a political overtone to a few episodes, it's done really subtly and thus you're able to enjoy the show more. I think subtly is the key.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Good. King Of The Hill was never that funny. The only funny characters were Boomhauer and Khan, the rest was boring blah. I don't watch Fox at all (other than Football), Family Guy is stupid, American Dad is worse, and The Simpsons should've been off the air in 2000. They should cancel that whole network.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Even when there were episodes that weren't funny (which, for me, was rare) the storytelling has been so good. Unlike Family Guy, which uses a piss-poor excuse of a plot to supplement the zany absurdist nonsequiteurs, KOTH is based on great straightforward stories and memorable characters. Your Boomhauer's, Dale's, Bill's and Kahn's are hilarious, but it always cracks me up when Hank's ignorance to modern culture rears its head.

"That's my purse! I don't know you!!!"
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I like Mike Judge, KOTH was just too soft for me. I loved Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, and Idiocracy. Extract looks to be awesome as well.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Idiocracy and KOTH were steaming piles of dung.

I like everything Judge has done except the aforementioned. And extract looks sick.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm

All "adult" animated shows are judged, IMO, next to South Park. By that comparison, King of the Hill will not be missed.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:02 pm

mattvan1 wrote:All "adult" animated shows are judged, IMO, next to South Park. By that comparison, King of the Hill will not be missed.

This.

Never cared for this show. Or Family Guy. Just don't do it for me. I'd rather watch Rangers/Orioles or Clippers/Warriors on the package. Or a movie.

Or South Park reruns.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 pm

KOTH has grown on me since it's been on Adult Swim. It's decent. It's no Simpsons, but not bad.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 pm

mattvan1 wrote:All "adult" animated shows are judged, IMO, next to South Park.

Which has not been immune to old age either. Jesus Christ did that last season suck.

Say what you will about KOTH, but the one thing I admire about it is that Judge didn't have to rely on the over-the-top shenanigans like the other animated shows to grab an audience.
metalhead9x9

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:

Which has not been immune to old age either.

Sadly, true. Still, the best aspect of South Park used to be the immeadiacy of the satire - see it in the headlines one week, see it mocked on SP one week later.

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:03 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Sadly, true. Still, the best aspect of South Park used to be the immeadiacy of the satire - see it in the headlines one week, see it mocked on SP one week later.

The caption for the Elian Gonzales picture should read: "The goverment sent us , we're here to help!"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:56 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:

Which has not been immune to old age either. Jesus Christ did that last season suck.

Wait? Really?

Last season of SP had five or six of the more entertaining and more socially relevant episodes of all time. Anymore SP rotates three damn good episodes (Margaritaville, The Ring, The election night episode, etc) to every clunker (Eat Pray Queef). They are not immune to the clunkers and have a few more of them now than ever before but when they make contact now they also crush the ball farther than they ever have before. Most episodes just rely on a bit more intellect than before.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:09 am

I would say the South Park went through a down period about 4 years ago (I don't know, just guessing) when they got WAY too into political satire/timely humor and as such, a lot of the episodes were real reaches and just not particularly funny. Can't blame them, as it was a formula they had been using selectively to great effect for years. They just overdid it and the material got weak and formulaic. They seem to have backed off a bit, and the recent few season had some excellent eps, including topical stuff like the Somali Pirate episode.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Stolliosis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 am

KOTH had a great theme song.
Stolliosis

Unread postby jonne99 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am

Here is my $10 dollars on the whole thing...i'm sure i'll get some lovely posts telling me I'm FOS....but if this offends you, then YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT.....

"too political," "too zany," "too liberal," "less moral"...

are nice euphemisms for the truth that the show in conversation (koth, bevis and butthead, simpsons, family guy, american dad, etc) directly conflicted with that person's political or religious views and thus had a direct correlation with the hypothetical person disliking the show. People today are really to quick to say something offends them and don't take the time to personally understand why they dislike something. It is really easy to say, "this show made fun of something i believe in, thus I'm not going to watch it."
But to question one's own views (are they obselete? What was the impetus that made me believe them to begin with? Do I have the same value in this view as when i first accepted to believe it? Am I using them to be a "better person" to myself and others?) is too scary for most people; like once you believe them, views can never be changed, altered, amended or lost.
For example, lets take an episode of xyz cartoon that focused on premarital sex, set a picture of obama on fire with a marijuana doobie, and made fun of Jesus, in the same episode.
How long do you think that season would last outside of the 10-29 year old viewership?

-Premarital sex is an antiquated view in the society we now live in..honestly. Based on laws (mainly religious) that were set 10 bajillion years ago, premarital sex is sinful and wrong. Who today really believes this with a straight face?

-the liberals would have a fit about Obama being lit on fire and demand that all media now go through the white house to be screened for biased content.

-the "war on drugs" would be tightened so that every household watching that show would be searched via allowance from the patriot act

-religious people (many conservatives) would hate the show because it made fun of the protagonist in the story (that may or may not have happened/been fabricated) which they hold so dear

The problem is that people do not readily accept the viewpoint of something/someone if it directly conflicts with their own. It is much easier to convey offense then to think. Unfortunately for our society, many of these religious/moral/political laws or views are so antiquated, that just the mere fact that we are still following certain ones shows that we are a culture resistant to any type of change or group thinking.

Look at the members of our senate and congress....old, rich, and morally regressed/repressed people that are setting laws that our country will run on for many years to come. I wonder how many of them really related to Hank Hill in their inability to understand the changing of the times and yearn for the "good ole days". Honestly, our politcal system is so effed....People vote based on a beauty contest and have no real idea what that candidate's backers have in store for our country because no one asks.

I think the country should take a line from Bill Veeck (the old Cleveland Indians owner)...take 10-20 of the brightest in America and groom them to be president by schooling them on international law, foreign economics, peace treaties, national economics and other such issues. But I digress...

Justification for McFarlane (creator of Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show) is that he already had his character that the liberal audience could like in Peter Griffin, then came up with the Stan Smith character that the more conservative viewers could "relate to." Mcfarlane also stated the issues he had with the president of fox (a conservative) several times on what they would and would not allow in regards to the political/religious antics that both shows would try to incorporate into various episodes.

As far as the Cleveland Show goes, he said in an interview with cartoon network and playboy that he wanted a show to portray an african american that wasn't loud, obnoxious, or sterotyped (like other african american sitcoms...see any on tbs).

South Park really set the standard in terms of having viewership be aware of current events in order to to get their jokes. I'm sure people will argue, but South Park was really the first cartoon to do this type of comedy. Everyone else followed suit in their own respective ways. After Family Guy, the simpsons episodes began to incorporate more of this type of "smart comedy" into their episodes, due to the direct competition from Family Guy on the same network.

Take the time to understand yourself and why your views are what they are, even it offends you.

Thanks for reading.
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: corban rogue&jay
Least Favorite Player: heather hill

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

jonne99 wrote:Here is my $10 dollars on the whole thing...i'm sure i'll get some lovely posts telling me I'm FOS....but if this offends you, then YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT.....

are nice euphemisms for the truth that the show in conversation (koth, bevis and butthead, simpsons, family guy, american dad, etc) directly conflicted with that person's political or religious views and thus had a direct correlation with the hypothetical person disliking the show. People today are really to quick to say something offends them and don't take the time to personally understand why they dislike something. It is really easy to say, "this show made fun of something i believe in, thus I'm not going to watch it."
But to question one's own views (are they obselete? What was the impetus that made me believe them to begin with? Do I have the same value in this view as when i first accepted to believe it? Am I using them to be a "better person" to myself and others?) is too scary for most people; like once you believe them, views can never be changed, altered, amended or lost.
For example, lets take an episode of xyz cartoon that focused on premarital sex, set a picture of obama on fire with a marijuana doobie, and made fun of Jesus, in the same episode.
How long do you think that season would last outside of the 10-29 year old viewership?

-Premarital sex is an antiquated view in the society we now live in..honestly. Based on laws (mainly religious) that were set 10 bajillion years ago, premarital sex is sinful and wrong. Who today really believes this with a straight face?

-the liberals would have a fit about Obama being lit on fire and demand that all media now go through the white house to be screened for biased content.

-the "war on drugs" would be tightened so that every household watching that show would be searched via allowance from the patriot act

-religious people (many conservatives) would hate the show because it made fun of the protagonist in the story (that may or may not have happened/been fabricated) which they hold so dear

The problem is that people do not readily accept the viewpoint of something/someone if it directly conflicts with their own. It is much easier to convey offense then to think. Unfortunately for our society, many of these religious/moral/political laws or views are so antiquated, that just the mere fact that we are still following certain ones shows that we are a culture resistant to any type of change or group thinking.

Look at the members of our senate and congress....old, rich, and morally regressed/repressed people that are setting laws that our country will run on for many years to come. I wonder how many of them really related to Hank Hill in their inability to understand the changing of the times and yearn for the "good ole days". Honestly, our politcal system is so effed....People vote based on a beauty contest and have no real idea what that candidate's backers have in store for our country because no one asks.

I think the country should take a line from Bill Veeck (the old Cleveland Indians owner)...take 10-20 of the brightest in America and groom them to be president by schooling them on international law, foreign economics, peace treaties, national economics and other such issues. But I digress...

Justification for McFarlane (creator of Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show) is that he already had his character that the liberal audience could like in Peter Griffin, then came up with the Stan Smith character that the more conservative viewers could "relate to." Mcfarlane also stated the issues he had with the president of fox (a conservative) several times on what they would and would not allow in regards to the political/religious antics that both shows would try to incorporate into various episodes.

As far as the Cleveland Show goes, he said in an interview with cartoon network and playboy that he wanted a show to portray an african american that wasn't loud, obnoxious, or sterotyped (like other african american sitcoms...see any on tbs).

South Park really set the standard in terms of having viewership be aware of current events in order to to get their jokes. I'm sure people will argue, but South Park was really the first cartoon to do this type of comedy. Everyone else followed suit in their own respective ways. After Family Guy, the simpsons episodes began to incorporate more of this type of "smart comedy" into their episodes, due to the direct competition from Family Guy on the same network.

Take the time to understand yourself and why your views are what they are, even it offends you.

Thanks for reading.

I don't think anyone is going to give you shit about this post because it has about as much coherency and clear/relevant points as the typical davemountaindew post.

And, well, you missed mucho of the point of this thread to top it all off.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jonne99 wrote:Here is my $10 dollars on the whole thing...i'm sure i'll get some lovely posts telling me I'm FOS....but if this offends you, then YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT.....

Thanks for reading.

I don't think anyone is going to give you shit about this post because it has about as much coherency and clear/relevant points as the typical davemountaindew post.

And, well, you missed mucho of the point of this thread to top it all off.

Yeah, I wasn't shitting on Family Guy 'cause it offends me religiously (I'm divorced from religion). I like the zany and political when they're done well as South Park had in the past. I was just impressed that KOTH used more subtlety to be a quality show and that Judge created a protagonist who had views so different from him and still made him likable. Family Guy doesn't offend me at all. It's just that as I kept watching it after the show came back, I realized how stupid it really was and still is. Can it still make me laugh? Yeah. But man is the writing terrible. To have to rely on the same nonsense flashback time after time and never having good storytelling eventually turned me off.
metalhead9x9

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 pm

KotH is a show that just grew on me, even though I've really only started watching it more and more. I defy anyone who has watched the show, even a few times, to not find this episode beautiful:

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episode ... 8935520004
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I like Mike Judge, KOTH was just too soft for me. I loved Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, and Idiocracy. Extract looks to be awesome as well.

+ 1

Not hating on KoTH at all. I think it had moemnts and I can see how some peeps love it.

But I miss the nasty side of Judge. I hope this frees him up to be more of a doosh. Also looking fwd to Extract.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:Yeah, I wasn't shitting on Family Guy 'cause it offends me religiously (I'm divorced from religion).

I crack on family Guy CAUSE IT FREAKING SUCKS.

Seriously, a supposedly funny show can't be that consistently unfunny, can it?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture