Text Size

The 19th Hole

PGA week

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

PGA week

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:40 pm

After 3 holes Tiger is literally 7 inches away from increasing his lead from two strokes to 5 strokes, which would be game over.

This might get interesting as Yang is not looking like anything is bothering him.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: PGA week

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Tiger's putting over the final two rounds was the worst I've seen from him...and that combined with Yang's refusal to let Tiger get into his head made all of the difference.

Good story about Yang, but this is definitely the most disappointed I've been regarding the majors in years. Someone (CBS?) called it "The Year of the Buzzkill".

Missed out on a great ending with Kenny Perry at the Masters when he bogeyed the last two holes.

Missed out on a great ending in the US Open when Phil and Duval faded at the end.

Missed out on possiblly the greatest stories of all-time at the Open when Watson couldn't save par on the 72nd hole.

and now this. As much as Yang's great chip in on 14 and his unbelievable 3 hybrid shot on 18 were...the main story is still how Tiger putted like he was on the Nationwide Tour.

Cabrera, Glover, Cink, and Yang. The most forgettable Major winners since 2003 with Weir, Furyk, Curtis, and Micheel. Glover may win another major...doubt any of the other three ever will.

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:29 pm

I've heard from a lot of disappointed Tiger fans via FB and online today. Personally, I was very happy to see someone step up and beat Tiger down the stretch. I'm very happy for Yang. Lightning in a bottle? Sure, maybe. But he hit some clutch golf shots and didn't get discouraged when missing several chances to really stomp Woods.

Tiger went conservative, looking for Yang to buckle like Harrington did. Yes, Tiger missed his share of putts, but if Yang falls apart (like everyone thought he would), Tiger gets out with a blase win.

I don't buy that this isn't good for golf. I think it's great for golf. For some reason, I'm watching more golf now that Tiger has (somewhat) come down to Earth. That, and I'm getting old.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:26 am

To be honest Tiger's putting wasn't that bad, he was literally inches away from sinking 4 putts on the first 10 holes that would have buried Yang. He was rarely short on his putts which for those guys is a sign of bad putting.

IMO his club selection was more crucial to his giving up the lead.

YMMV.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to The 19th Hole