Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Utensils Down! Hands Up!

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Utensils Down! Hands Up!

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:25 pm

DiminishingSkills wrote:I find Carla much more likable. Kooky, but in a good (though somewhat annoying) way.

+1

I really don't get all the Carla hate. She is seemnigly a really good person and evidently a pretty damn good chef. I'm still a Fabio guy, but I find myself rooting for Carla more and more. (Just don't necessarily want to look directly at her.)
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:42 pm

K/Carla reminds me of that crazy old woman that lived down the street from everyone while they were growing up.... you know the lady that would shout random incoherent things about love and food and ramble about the beauty of the sun and crap from a rocking chair while feeding the 75 cats that populated her rundown tiny house that was holding down the entire neighborhood. She needs some balance in her life, like now.

The entire "I PUT LOVE IN MY FOOD!!!!!" excuse while on the chopping block was one of the single weirdest and most moronic defenses I have ever seen.

Not to mention the fact that every time she starts talking I hear a thousand finger nails on a chalk board. My lord that woman has some pipes on her.

I honestly just think she has gotten lucky thanks to having a few challenges in a row that were right in her wheel-house.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 am

Son of a bitch, how does Fabio not make the final. God damn do I hate Carla, she should have been out 8 weeks ago. Everytime she talks I want to punch her in the face. So obnoxious
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 am

can someone explain to me why if this season's called "top chef: new york," the finale is in new orleans? i know they relocate every year for the finale and the chefs have to adjust to the culinary style of where they are, but this was right in carla's wheelhouse since she's from the south. she might have put out a great dish to get her into the final three, but i thought she shoulda been booted a while ago, especially for that cringe-inducing "you didnt see me in the kitchen, but i was still putting out the love" nonsense she gave to the judges. i was rooting for jeff and thought he should not have been eliminated the first time. i have no idea why he didnt win since he got the most superlatives from the judges.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:22 am

watched this last night. I have not been the biggest Carla supporter this season but these last few weeks she has put out great dishes. Can't fault her for that, she's taking advantage of her knowldege of Southern food. Jeff did the same thing and for once he kept it simple. He did get plenty of praise and his drink was the favorite among the judges but Carla overwhelmed them with all 3 of her efforts.

Stefan is too much. I love how he says he tasted Josea's gumbo and said it was crap when nearly every guest AND judge praised it, saying it tasted authentic. Stefan is the most talented chef there, maybe this week will be a wake up call for him and he will knock it out of the park in the finale. The last meal is always "cook us the best meal of your life". No theme's, just out cook your competition. I think he will do just that.

Josea seems too hell bent on just beating Stefan. He needs to remember what type of chef he is and come strong with that.

Sad to see Fabio go but he just didn't get the job done this week.

It should be interesting next week
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Now that the Quote Machine is gone, is ther anyone left that you are rooting for? Are any of the 3 really "Top Chef" worthy? Last year you had two (Steph and Richard) and the year before you had two (Dale and Hung, maybe even Casey but YMMV). This year?

Carla is better suited as a contestant on Food Network's "Next Food Network Star". She can team up with the "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" Guy.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Call your shot, who is winning... Im glad Hosea got to stick Stefan with the gator...
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 am

Richard Blais would have won this season in Reagan-Mondale fashion.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby diminishingskills » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:48 am

Skating Tripods wrote:Richard Blais would have won this season in Reagan-Mondale fashion.

Oh, he did win. Can't help it if it's Hosea's name that goes on the trophy.

And Carla, WTF?? Grow a backbone and tell Casey to STFU and chop the vegetables. The finale is not the time to experiment with new techniques.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 am

i thought the best chef throughout this season has been stefan, but christ, he did not bring his A game the last three eliminations. plus, he was punished for being far too cerebral and lacking "soul." for the life of me, i dont understand how u can see a chef in his food. i can see a writer in his book, an artist in his painting, and a guitarist in his music, but that pea-brain culinary side of my mind can't get how u perceive soul thru food.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Heads up:

Top Chef Las Vegas starts Wednesday
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

I've been watching Top Chef: Masters this summer. Pretty damn good. Finale is either right before or right after the Top Chef: Vegas premiere next week
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:I've been watching Top Chef: Masters this summer. Pretty damn good. Finale is either right before or right after the Top Chef: Vegas premiere next week

I just couldn't get into masters.

The rotating chefs annoyed me, the host sucked and it lacked that real flair of straight up Top Chef.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:I've been watching Top Chef: Masters this summer. Pretty damn good. Finale is either right before or right after the Top Chef: Vegas premiere next week

I just couldn't get into masters.

The rotating chefs annoyed me, the host sucked and it lacked that real flair of straight up Top Chef.

I agree about all of those things. After they finished up with the rotating chefs to get into the top 6 finalists, it got much better. I do have to say that some of the challenges were pretty funny, recycled from old Top Chefs. Having these master chefs like Hubert Keller cooking a meal on a hot plate in a college dorm room is pretty funny.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Having these master chefs like Hubert Keller cooking a meal on a hot plate in a college dorm room is pretty funny.

True, but watching my Boston boy from Radius fall flat on his face that episode ruined it for me.

Sad moment for the city.

And I hate Hubert Keller. The dude from Texas was the best thing about that episode end of the day. Dude was fantastic.

Show still lost my interest fast, but there were some highlights in that one.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 am

Can't wait for TC:Vegas to start.

TC Masters? I watch it and it is somewhat interesting having these established chefs do some of the previous TC challenges but it has a hard time holding onto my interest. The one thing I do enjoy seeing is camaraderie amongst the chefs and the respect they have for one another.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Huge fan of Jennifer on this season. Her and the two brothers definitely look like front runners. Hector's an interesting person, but his food probably won't carry him through.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:45 am

Still sorting everything out, but I think it is undeniably clear this is the most talented collection of peeps yet already.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:56 am

Other than Jennifer, it looks like the women will be making early exits. She's the only one that has showed up so far.

Kevin is going to be there in the end. He won the first elimination challenge and although he didn't place in the second won, all the judges loved the flavors of his dish, it was just not cold enough.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57 pm

There goes another girl tonight. I'm glad to see the brothers matching each other stride for stride so far.

Love that someone's gone on the next quickfire. They have to start getting rid of some of the people dragging the group down.

I see no way that the final four is anyone other than the two brothers, Kevin, and Jennifer.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 am

Skating Tripods wrote:I see no way that the final four is anyone other than the two brothers, Kevin, and Jennifer.

Exactly, no one else has a shot.

Side note: got a chance to go to the resturant where Hosea is the executive chef down in Boulder. It was quite tasty, and they have a sweet happy hour. My friend and his wife were down there and he came out and bs'ed with them for a while, said he is a really good guy. Even bought them a drink.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cease » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Good stuff so far. Cleveland would make a great host city- considering how we're considered one of the top places for foodies to visit. Big question is... Do we have a Whole Foods to satisfy the sponsor?

I'd make a prediction, but I never saw this one as a finalist last season...
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:48 am

*bump*

Any surprises as to the Final 4? (Tripods called it) I still think this is Kevin's to lose but brother Brian is his biggest challenger. Jennifer's confidence comes and goes way too easily and could hinder her performance. Bro Mike is too cocky at times and may take the wrong risk at the wrong time.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

Cease wrote:Good stuff so far. Cleveland would make a great host city- considering how we're considered one of the top places for foodies to visit. Big question is... Do we have a Whole Foods to satisfy the sponsor?

Yup, Cedar and Warrensville...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cease » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:58 am

Orenthal wrote:
Cease wrote:Good stuff so far. Cleveland would make a great host city- considering how we're considered one of the top places for foodies to visit. Big question is... Do we have a Whole Foods to satisfy the sponsor?

Yup, Cedar and Warrensville...

Cleveland continues to be a hot spot for foodies and a season showcasing Cleveland on Top Chef would be awesome.

Show challenges to feature: Little Italy, West Side Market, Mike Simon, R&R HOF, Cook for LeBron, St. Augustine's Hunger Center, Goodtime III Friday booze cruise, Cleveland Clinic Cafeteria, Great Lakes Brew Co. pairings, Street Meat for W.6th douchebags, Cleveland Orchestra or Museum of Choice, and cooking for my wife and I.
Cease

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Cease wrote:
Cleveland continues to be a hot spot for foodies and a season showcasing Cleveland on Top Chef would be awesome.

Show challenges to feature: Little Italy, West Side Market, Mike Simon, R&R HOF, Cook for LeBron, St. Augustine's Hunger Center, Goodtime III Friday booze cruise, Cleveland Clinic Cafeteria, Great Lakes Brew Co. pairings, Street Meat for W.6th douchebags, Cleveland Orchestra or Museum of Choice, and cooking for my wife and I.

Rock Hall has just been done on Dinner Impossible so it'd look like a little copying.

Maybe not cook for LeBron but maybe divide the cheftestants into 2 teams and have them prepare the pregame meals for the Cavs and the visiting team w/ a twist of course.

There are various receptions/dinners done in Tower City. Have the chefs cater an event there. Logistically it's difficult. They could use the banquest kitchens in either the Ritz or Rennaissance.

The Chefs Garden in Huron supplies vegetables to restaurants thru out the country and they have their own cooking school w/ a gourmet kitchen. Many high profile chefs visit and do different events out here (including Charlie Trotter) Have the chefs cook at an event only using the products found on the farm.
http://www.culinaryvegetableinstitute.com/cvi_cms/

Wolfgang Puck's is honorary chairman for UH's Ireland Cancer Center and does a benefit every summer.

When you think about it there are a number of different possibilites
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm

If Robin made the finals after Carla and fat angry lesbian making it I may have quit the show.

Best four finalists ever.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Best four finalists ever.

Agreed

They all have a mutual respect for one another.(despite Mike and his beef w/ Kevin's cooking style) There doesn't seem to be anyone "gunning" for anyone else. They all feel they are on an equal level.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 pm

I think Jennifer is gone next, she doesnt have it mentally and getting broken down.

Side note: Would you? Sometimes I think she has it, others she looks real ragged

Michael V is perhaps my favorite on any of the shows ever. Typically little brother, he is awesome.

I think Bryan pulls it out though in the final vs. Kevin. However a Bryan v. Michael finale would be a lot more interesting.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cease » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Good final 4. If not the best, the most obvious from beginning of season to end.

"The food that Kevin makes is the food I make on my day off (sic)" is just a great line.

Jennifer is the next one out the door, she's cracking. Unless someone else shits the pan.
Cease

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Mike is okay, but Kevin is the shit.

Guy turned down a scholly to MIT to move down south and cook comfort food? He rolls w/ that awesome beard, he just don't care.

Guy is the shiz.

I still do like em all though.

That said, hard to say Jenn is gone now, they get a lot of time off before cooking for the final so she may have got her shit back together. It's kinda funny because in season 3 Casey was hot as hell cooking wise and just laying waste to peeps but after the time off came back off her game and was screwed. The Finals is a total reset, assuming you have natural talent and what not, unlike fat sweaty lesbian bitch and Carla and Robin.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:07 pm

So Jennifer's gone setting up the final three. I liked Jenn from the start of the show. But, as she competed, that brash confidence that she had at the start really went downhill and she started to compete against the better chefs.

I think they made the right decision. You've got simple Kevin, who is proving that cooking doesn't have to be exquisite so long as it tastes good. Complex Mike V who uses new techniques and takes some major risks. And Bryan V somewhere in the middle of the two.

I think Bryan's balance wins it for him. Like the others, he's been really steady all season long, but I think he'll have a much clearer picture of what he wants to do in the final challenge and that will be the defining factor.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Agreed, I think Bryan brings it home even though if I had the opportunity to eat in any of their three resturants I pick Mike V 10 times out 10. I find the guy hilarious, probably my favorite contestant this show has had. Jennifer has been the weakest of the 4 for the past few shows, it was the right call.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Biggest plus about this episode was all of them cooking well. Jenn got her act together after her mental breakdown and put good dishes out there, unfortunately the silly talent at the top this year just shut the door on her.

Refreshing for once to see the best four chefs going and to see this absurd amount of talent. Best season (from a cooking perspective, some drama was lacking this year) hands down.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Thoughts on Michael winning? I am going to LA this summer, I am going to try to hit up his place.

Best season they have had, Kevin and Bryan could have won in a lot of other seasons. Suprised to see Kevin kinda shoot himself in the foot in the final. No one was a big fan of that pork belly. The pig tat still makes him sweet.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Ziner wrote:Thoughts on Michael winning? I am going to LA this summer, I am going to try to hit up his place.

Best season they have had, Kevin and Bryan could have won in a lot of other seasons. Suprised to see Kevin kinda shoot himself in the foot in the final. No one was a big fan of that pork belly. The pig tat still makes him sweet.

I wanted Kevin to win but for the last half of the season, figured it was Michael's to lose. And he didn't. Didn't even realize that the final 3 won almost every single elimination challenge (12 of 13) but it didn't surprise me when they said it on the show.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Michael has his own restaurant yet. Bryan's is called Volt but I thought Michael was still an assistant to a heavy-hitter and hadn't yet opened his own place.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Michael has his own restaurant yet. Bryan's is called Volt but I thought Michael was still an assistant to a heavy-hitter and hadn't yet opened his own place.

You are correct, I should have worded it better. I believe he is just the executive chef (check that he is chef de cuisine, whatever that means) and someone else owns it, as far as I can tell. However, Michael's face is the only one that appears all over that website.

http://www.thediningroom-langham.com/
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Ziner wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Michael has his own restaurant yet. Bryan's is called Volt but I thought Michael was still an assistant to a heavy-hitter and hadn't yet opened his own place.

You are correct, I should have worded it better. I believe he is just the executive chef (check that he is chef de cuisine, whatever that means) and someone else owns it, as far as I can tell. However, Michael's face is the only one that appears all over that website.

And I'm sure by the time you get out there, he'll have one opened or ready to open with that $125,000 he won.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Ziner wrote:

And I'm sure by the time you get out there, he'll have one opened or ready to open with that $125,000 he won.

I wonder, I know nothing about restaurants but I would think 125K doesnt go along way when you open one. It would certainly help him get a loan for one and if any bank saw that show they would give him a loan in a second. I do know that Hosea a winner from a few season's back still doesn't own his own (granted he has half the talent Michael does) but I would guess they just gave him a share of the company (it is a group out here) or a nice raise.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Ziner wrote:
I wonder, I know nothing about restaurants but I would think 125K doesnt go along way when you open one. It would certainly help him get a loan for one and if any bank saw that show they would give him a loan in a second. I do know that Hosea a winner from a few season's back still doesn't own his own (granted he has half the talent Michael does) but I would guess they just gave him a share of the company (it is a group out here) or a nice raise.

Weren't the some of the diners restaurantuers who represented alot of capital for opening a new establishment? I'm sure if they were impressed with his dishes they would sit down with him to discuss what he wants to accomplish with his cuisine. 125K is not alot for opening and I understand that he is setting aside some $$ for his girls. He'd be better off having an investor get the capital needed rather than walk into a bank and get it. That way all he'll focus on running his kitchen, hiring a good front of the house mgr, and maintain a respected and well reviewed restaurant, w/o worrying about the $$ on a daily basis. His cooking will be his investment into the project and he already works at an establishment that has earned a Michelin star, which goes a LONG way w/ investors. He's proven his worth running a kitchen whereas Hosea is a "seafood guy" and seafood restaurants are a dime a dozen. Which would be a smarter investment?
Larvell Blanks

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture