Text Size

The Rumble Room

UFC 100 7/11/2009

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

UFC 100 7/11/2009

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 am

This is going to be a great night in the mma world.
The card is sick too, I can't wait.

MAIN CARD
•Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)
•Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)
•Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
•Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson
•Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

PRELIMINARY CARD
•Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
•Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
•Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
•C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
•Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
•T.J. Grant vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Re: UFC 100 7/11/2009

Unread postby XUDawg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 am

I think the GSP-Alves fight is going to be a great one. And if anybody currently at WW in the UFC is going to beat GSP, it's Alves. If St. Pierre wins, there's really nothing left but to try to move him up to Middleweight, or bring in Nick Diaz and Jake Shields in a year to try to take him out.

Rematches with Koscheck, Fitch, or anybody else will yield the same results as their earlier fights. Perhaps in a couple years, Rumble Johnson will be a competitor, but the UFC can't wait that long for St. Pierre to fight meaningful matches.

Things are starting to look bleak all of a sudden at Welterweight. And it's not because there is no talent; it's because GSP is so much better than everyone else.

Hopefully Alves comes to fight on Saturday and makes the division interesting. (Although I have said in the past that I don't have faith in ATT.)
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

It goes without saying that i'm pretty pumped about Saturday.
Some of my favorite fighters to watch are in action.

I love Mir's game. Lesnar is simply a freak and way too big and strong to lose to Mir right? I'm not so sure. Experience and that ground game has me leaning towards Mir again but wouldn't be surprised if it ends in 1 minute via ground and pound.

GSP, the best fighter in the world, meets a guy who is going to be bigger than him. Alves is another freak who walks around over 200 pounds and can cut down to 170. Can he hang with the complete game of St. Pierre? I'm not too sure.
Will he get frustrated by a guy that is THAT good? Probably.

Bisping vs Henderson = possible show stealer. Bad blood brewing here. I like Bisping a lot, his attitude and personality. Henderson is getting older and been thru some battles. We have seen many guys recently who just can't do what they used to do. I don't expect too many takedown attempts in the battle of The Ultimate Fighter coaches.

I love Mark Coleman and hope he beats Bonnar's ass. I just don't know if he has the tools to do it.

Is it Saturday yet????????????

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm

If Lesner follows his game plan and is more cautious against going for the quick KO(his submission defense is said to be 100% better now) and getting caught, then I think we'll see Lesner in a late round stoppage or a decision. Should be a good one though.

The fight I'm flipping my minnow bucket over though is Henderson vs Bisping. I love Henderson's game and can't stomach Bisping...I think he's an overrated goblin. Henderson is getting up there, but about as tough as they come and I think he'll be out for a little revenge TUF style.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 pm

I see 0% chance that Lesnar vs Mir goes the full five rounds.

I feel the same way about Henderson as you do Bisping. He is so dry and boring, almost zero personality.
Bisping is awesome, good fighter but a great character.

Saturday is going to be fan-tastic.

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:26 pm

I didn't suppose that you'd agree with me on Mir/Lesnar, but if Lesnar is going to have a long reign in the UFC then he'll need to continue to evolve his game. I think we'll see some of that Saturday and I don't think the fight will be all fireworks and pony shows like you do. Mire is a very tactical fighter anyhow.

I get that you like style over substance too...it takes all types. All I can say about Dan Henderson is that he's been all about max effort every time I've ever seen him fight and that's enough for me.

Also, with GSP and Alves...consider that Alves may come in depleted with dropping that much weight...I can't see him winning anyhow, but you'd think he needs to be at his physical peak and I don't see how that happens dropping that much weight...I guess we'll find out on Saturday.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:30 am

I could see the heavyweight title fight going a few rounds i just don't think it will.
Lesnar is pissed and hungry plus he wants revenge.
I think it goes pretty much like fight #1, either a stoppage or Mir catches him in a submission.
Both guys are very very solid and I'm pumped for it.

Alves is another freak, like GSP. You look at these dudes and there is no way you would think they weight 170 at any point in time.
Alves cuts over 30 pounds but has done it many times. He'll be ready but it probably won't be good enough.
GSP is just on another level. He's the best fighter in the world in my opinion.

Henderson is a warrior, one of best we have seen. I just like Bisping and what he brings to the sport.

I love this card, 2 more days to go.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 pm

First UFC PPV purchase for Swerb is official ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Good first fight. Belcher got jobbed though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Wow! What a fucking knockout!

That's one bad to the bone 38 year old.

Both punches, evil. The knockout, then the one on the ground. Damn.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Classic Joe Rogan tweet from cageside:

Dan Henderson = HOLY FUCK

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:05 am

Who the hell are the two people that have beat GSP? Highly impressive.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Doc » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:06 am

What happened to the Fitch fight? Are we only getting 4 fights tonight?
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:26 am

Good night for the UFC. They have a major crossover star on their hands. A guy that will sell a shit load of pay per views, being new people into the sport. Make fringe people like me to continue to order PPVs.

Lesnar, playing the heel post fight, amid boos. Dana White has to be loving that shit.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 am

Great matchups all around. Hendersons knockout might have been the nastiest I've ever seen. Initially, I thought Bisping was dead as he looked knocked out after the first punch and Henderson put as much momentum as I've ever seen in a punch right into his face. Lesnar just used his mass to lay on Mir till he could find that opening and just kept punching. Loved the interview from Lesnar, he can definitely sell a fight and sell himself.

"I'm gonna go home and drink some Coors Light and hell, I might even get on top of my wife."

Is their anyone in UFC that can touch Lesnar? Fedor-Lesnar needs to happen, I don't care what it takes from Dana White.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:35 am

The Henderson punch was probably the single most memorable punch in all of the fights I've ever seen, boxing or MMA. Funny thing is he did nearly every single thing wrong with that punch, but it still landed perfectly...and I loved it. The second punch/elbow strike wasn't needed, but Bisping got what he had coming to him...Henderson hypenated him with that shit.

Rebel-you nailed it...I thought Bisping's neck was broke or he was having a seizure by the way his mouth was sinking in. I looked like he was trying to swallow his tongue maybe.

GSP=world class...could probably compete on a professional level in multiple sports if he wanted to.

Lesnar is a beast without question, but he still has a lot to improve on. I think he was hurt from the knees at the beginning of round two and Mir let him recover while he was just laying on him. I don't know if Frank didn't realize he was hurt or he just couldn't deal with the size. Either way, as crazy as the may sound, I think Lesnar is going to have some problems with a really good striker with good takedown defense and that would be namely Fedor. I'd take Fedor no questions asked right now...but if that fight ever happens it will take UFC/MMA to an entirely different level.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:54 am

By the way Dr, what's the deal with GSP's right elbow? We were talking about it tonight and I never realized it was so disfigured. It looks like there's a golf ball sticking out of his elbow...can't believe I hadn't noticed that before.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 am

Got hooked on MMA about 2 years ago. Was unable to watch the PPV last night but WOW, just reading about it got me excited.

Might have to rent this one when it comes out on DVD.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:18 am

To say that Bisping had that second shot coming to him might be the most stupid thing someone could say.
He was out cold and limp and you think he should get hit again? Give me a break. Complete asshole move on Henderson's part. He even said he did it on purpose. As I just wrote in my recap, Babalu was kicked out of the UFC for a similar thing. He held a choke too long after a tap, put the guy to sleep, told Joe Rogan he wanted to teach his opponent a lesson. The next day the UFC cut him. Henderson though gets KO of the night bonus. Stupid.

Lesnar needs to realize he isn't in the WWE anymore and might want to get a little class himself. The UFC loves that he can sell tickets but not too sure they want him bad mouthing sponsors and flicking off the crowd.

GSP and Lesnar might be unbeatable. Cain Velasquez might have something to say about that though.

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:20 am

Justmebd,
You can get the replay on ppv,ufc.com, or yahoo.
It's probably worth it.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:36 am

FightDr wrote:Lesnar needs to realize he isn't in the WWE anymore and might want to get a little class himself. The UFC loves that he can sell tickets but not too sure they want him bad mouthing sponsors and flicking off the crowd.

Sheeeeeeeet .... you kidding me? That's exactly what Dana White wants. A major star, playing the heel. Their whole business model and its future growth is predicated around getting the people who don't currently pay the $45 a month for the PPVs to do so. Guy like Lesnar will bring those people out.

That's exactly what they want. Dana White prolly had half a hard on watching him talk smack to Mir after the fight, flick off the crowd, and tell them all he was going home to zock his wife.

All about the benjamins baby.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 am

Listen to the post fight conference with Lesnar.
He apoligizes for acting like an a-hole.
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Go figure.
Somebody was in his ear.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=videoPl ... &gid=21199

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:25 am

FightDr wrote:Listen to the post fight conference with Lesnar.
He apoligizes for acting like an a-hole.
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Go figure.
Somebody was in his ear.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=videoPl ... &gid=21199

It's as scripted as the WWE. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana White wasn't pulling his strings like a puppeteer ... cause it all played out PERFECT for the UFC.

Marquee star posts a violent win. Plays the heel role to perfection post fight, has the entire place booing the shit out of him. Half hearted apology after that no one will hear or care about, yet will give the UFC something to go back to when people criticize Lesnar for being a thug.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dem425 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 am

Fight DR:

Don't you ever sleep?.....................Good Article!!!!!

I would like to hear Dana White's response when (hopefully) he will be asked if there will be any sanctions against Henderson for that punch.

Or will White bust into that verbal barrage that they caught on You Tube (?) when he was talking about a female reporter that slighted him.

This was my second PPV at home and I was not disappointed in the least.

Vince McMahon built a billion-dollar empire selling PPVs with "heels" in them. Yet I think that UFC has worked too hard to try and legitimize the sport and capitalizing on Lesnar's post-fight antics might be counter=productive.

BTW, you think Bud Light might be a bit pissed?
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 pm

First time I've ever really watched it and I loved it.

Even though I knew next to nothing about the sport or the fighters, I was told about what Bisping said in the Reality show and why he was beaten the way he was. I know that what sort of a cheap shot, but it was still amazing to see.

Lesners ending was also pretty epic, especially the post fight the lines he said were classic, I pretty much agree that while it was something out of the WWE, it will help them so much to grab viewers, hell the next fight be it with Lesner or without I'm going to be sure to try and catch.

Also, I'm still amazed that not only is Joe Rogan a commentator, he's an EXCELLENT commentator, gotta give the guy props, I was impressed.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:29 pm

:lmfao: .... Oh man, watching Bisping get tattooed was epic, the whole bar went "Ohhhhh" at the exact same time, and "Holy Shit!" when they showed the replay, Great job Danny, shut that wanker up real nice. GSP is a machine, a unstoppable machine. Alves was outclassed in every aspect of the fight.

Brock Lesnar....... Brock Lesnar is a douche. All those roids McMahon gave him, made him a giant cockstain. Fuck him and his sqaure head. He is a beast, and is fun to watch though. I see why he didn't have many talking roles in the WWF. Once he becomes more polished, I don't see how anyone can beat him, other than Fedor. Which would be an epic show stopping fight.

Great show UFC. :thumb up:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 pm

My nephew's Facebook status was that he was fighting on the undercard. His name's Dominic Mauer. Anybody know anything about this? Apparently he won his match, but I can't find anything about it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:25 pm

One of the great things about the UFC and MMA is that the fighters have respect for one another. Yes Brock Lesnar did make an ass out of himself after the fight, and I'm sure someone let him know about it. If I am not mistaken Tito Ortiz did something similar after beating Ken Shamrock. Both ended up apologizing. Most fights end up with the fighters showing respect for one another, which I think is great for the sport. Knowing that these guys train their asses off, step into the Octagon with one thing in mind, and respect their opponent is what makes this sport one of the fasting growing things around.
I did not like what Lesnar did and said after the fight, but watching his post fight presser realized that someone is paying attention.
Overall it was a great night of fights, can't wait for next months event.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 pm

The blade cuts both ways Dr. You love Bisping for being a "great character" when he acts like a complete jackass and shows no class during TUF and the entire time leading up to the fight with Henderson (basically like he's in the WWE) and then you call out Lesnar for acting the same way after he beats Mir? Am I missing something here, or is it only ok to act like a moron when it's one of your favorites? If anything I'll give Lesnar a little bit (but not much) of a pass after the fight as he's got the endorphines running full throttle and it's hard to turn it off instantly for some guys (although most that I've seen in the UFC do a good job controlling it).

As far as the Henderson thing goes, like I said earlier I clearly didn't think the second punch was needed, but what I've come to believe is good or bad, people ultimately get what they have coming to them regardless if I like, or agree, with it. With that said, I'm sure Henderson will get sanctioned and then there's always the chance he's on the other side of that coin some day. I've always thought Dan Henderson to be a stand up guy, maybe his emotions got the best of him in that situation. Sound familiar?
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:17 am

Bisping = selling his fights and coaching his team on the show. (see all the other season's of the show as examples)
Lesnar = getting in a guys face and talking shit after he just rearranged his face. Then making dumb comments about his employer's biggest sponsor.
Me liking Bisping has nothing to do with that. You should be okay with the way he acts then if you liked Lesnar's show.
How many times do guys talk a ton of shit but after they fight and go toe to toe does all that end? Pretty much 100% of the time. Lesnar even mentions that after they leave the cage.

The basis of martial arts is respect and discipline.

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 am

Please read:

Bad boy Lesnar entertains, but UFC isn't laughing

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Brock Lesnar is well on his way to becoming mixed martial arts' biggest name. As he showed in UFC 100, he's already its biggest jerk.

That's certainly good news for the UFC's bottom line, since fans of any sport love to hate a proper villain. It's not so good for the mainstream image of a sport that publicly claims it wants nothing to do with its heavyweight champion's pro wrestling-style theatrics in the main event at the league's landmark event Saturday night.

"That's not who Brock really is, and what he did out there is not real," UFC president Dana White said after the unflattering end to his league's otherwise successful weekend in its hometown. "You don't have to act like someone you're not. This isn't the WWE. I'm not trying to get someone to act all crazy so we'll do more pay-per-views. That's not what this sport is about."

After being chastened by White, Lesnar quickly regretted his bad-boy behavior during his second-round stoppage of Frank Mir for his first title defense. Although the UFC made more than $5 million at the gate while broadcasting the event in a record 75 countries, the former pro wrestler realized he did some damage to that shaky bridge between MMA's loyal fans and the skeptical general public that already has trouble separating the UFC from the WWE.

"I was so jacked up (because) I'm used to selling pay-per-view tickets," said Lesnar, who left the WWE several years ago. "I come from a business that is purely entertainment. I screwed up, and I apologize."

In just his fifth MMA fight after a winding athletic path through college wrestling, fake wrestling and the Minnesota Vikings' training camp, Lesnar first refused to touch gloves with Mir. The hulking 265-pounder spent most of the fight's two rounds on top of Mir, using his weight and wrestling skill to wear down Mir's defenses, before finishing with a relentless series of right hands to Mir's face.

Lesnar (4-1), who lost to Mir last year, then taunted his fallen opponent while Mir still sat on his stool, his face bloody and swollen. When the Mandalay Bay crowd booed, Lesnar made a two-handed obscene gesture, followed by a rambunctious interview in which he insulted a prominent UFC sponsor and made an off-color comment about his own wife.

When Lesnar finally left the octagon, White cornered him in a bathroom for a tongue-lashing that left Lesnar apologetic. Yet it didn't wipe the grin off his face while he drank a Bud Light, just moments after claiming he preferred Coors Light over the UFC sponsor, "because Bud Light won't pay me."

"The only thing I had against Frank was that he beat me (last year)," said Lesnar, who turned 32 on Sunday. "We both talked a lot of crap, and in the end, I was just amped up."

That's slight consolation to White, who claimed he was "blown away" by Lesnar's antics and poor sportsmanship. The UFC knows it still hasn't sold its respectable image to a widespread audience, and having a heavyweight champion who can't control his inner 14-year-old doesn't help.

"Brock is talented," White said. "He's accomplished something that nobody has ever accomplished (by winning the title so quickly). Let that speak for you, not what you saw out there. ... That's not who he is. I've spent time with this guy. He's a smart guy, but he gets in there, the (energy) starts kicking. The mouth is moving, but the brain isn't sending stuff to the mouth."

That mouth will keep running, however. With his legion of fans and haters who have followed him since the WWE, Lesnar probably is the UFC's biggest pay-per-view draw. UFC 100 has a chance to top 1.5 million buys, which would make it the biggest non-boxing PPV event.

While the UFC moves on to its next showcases in Philadelphia and Portland, Ore., White must decide when to put his misbehaving heavyweight champ back in the octagon. The UFC stable contains a handful of fighters who could pose a threat, although Lesnar's rapidly improving MMA skills make him more daunting by the month.

But White remains confident he'll eventually sign Fedor Emelianenko, the Russian heavyweight considered among the sport's top pound-for-pound fighters. Emelianenko fights in Anaheim, Calif., on Aug. 1 to finish his contract with Affliction, and White said he'll go after the Russian striker with an open wallet.

"Eventually, Fedor is going to be here," White said. "I want him to come to the UFC. ... We'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'll be a huge fight. He's obviously contractually obligated to fight (in Anaheim), and once that's over, we'll see how it goes."

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:57 am

FightDr wrote:Please read:

Bad boy Lesnar entertains, but UFC isn't laughing

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Brock Lesnar is well on his way to becoming mixed martial arts' biggest name. As he showed in UFC 100, he's already its biggest jerk.

That's certainly good news for the UFC's bottom line, since fans of any sport love to hate a proper villain. It's not so good for the mainstream image of a sport that publicly claims it wants nothing to do with its heavyweight champion's pro wrestling-style theatrics in the main event at the league's landmark event Saturday night.

"That's not who Brock really is, and what he did out there is not real," UFC president Dana White said after the unflattering end to his league's otherwise successful weekend in its hometown. "You don't have to act like someone you're not. This isn't the WWE. I'm not trying to get someone to act all crazy so we'll do more pay-per-views. That's not what this sport is about."

After being chastened by White, Lesnar quickly regretted his bad-boy behavior during his second-round stoppage of Frank Mir for his first title defense. Although the UFC made more than $5 million at the gate while broadcasting the event in a record 75 countries, the former pro wrestler realized he did some damage to that shaky bridge between MMA's loyal fans and the skeptical general public that already has trouble separating the UFC from the WWE.

"I was so jacked up (because) I'm used to selling pay-per-view tickets," said Lesnar, who left the WWE several years ago. "I come from a business that is purely entertainment. I screwed up, and I apologize."

In just his fifth MMA fight after a winding athletic path through college wrestling, fake wrestling and the Minnesota Vikings' training camp, Lesnar first refused to touch gloves with Mir. The hulking 265-pounder spent most of the fight's two rounds on top of Mir, using his weight and wrestling skill to wear down Mir's defenses, before finishing with a relentless series of right hands to Mir's face.

Lesnar (4-1), who lost to Mir last year, then taunted his fallen opponent while Mir still sat on his stool, his face bloody and swollen. When the Mandalay Bay crowd booed, Lesnar made a two-handed obscene gesture, followed by a rambunctious interview in which he insulted a prominent UFC sponsor and made an off-color comment about his own wife.

When Lesnar finally left the octagon, White cornered him in a bathroom for a tongue-lashing that left Lesnar apologetic. Yet it didn't wipe the grin off his face while he drank a Bud Light, just moments after claiming he preferred Coors Light over the UFC sponsor, "because Bud Light won't pay me."

"The only thing I had against Frank was that he beat me (last year)," said Lesnar, who turned 32 on Sunday. "We both talked a lot of crap, and in the end, I was just amped up."

That's slight consolation to White, who claimed he was "blown away" by Lesnar's antics and poor sportsmanship. The UFC knows it still hasn't sold its respectable image to a widespread audience, and having a heavyweight champion who can't control his inner 14-year-old doesn't help.

"Brock is talented," White said. "He's accomplished something that nobody has ever accomplished (by winning the title so quickly). Let that speak for you, not what you saw out there. ... That's not who he is. I've spent time with this guy. He's a smart guy, but he gets in there, the (energy) starts kicking. The mouth is moving, but the brain isn't sending stuff to the mouth."

That mouth will keep running, however. With his legion of fans and haters who have followed him since the WWE, Lesnar probably is the UFC's biggest pay-per-view draw. UFC 100 has a chance to top 1.5 million buys, which would make it the biggest non-boxing PPV event.

While the UFC moves on to its next showcases in Philadelphia and Portland, Ore., White must decide when to put his misbehaving heavyweight champ back in the octagon. The UFC stable contains a handful of fighters who could pose a threat, although Lesnar's rapidly improving MMA skills make him more daunting by the month.

But White remains confident he'll eventually sign Fedor Emelianenko, the Russian heavyweight considered among the sport's top pound-for-pound fighters. Emelianenko fights in Anaheim, Calif., on Aug. 1 to finish his contract with Affliction, and White said he'll go after the Russian striker with an open wallet.

"Eventually, Fedor is going to be here," White said. "I want him to come to the UFC. ... We'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'll be a huge fight. He's obviously contractually obligated to fight (in Anaheim), and once that's over, we'll see how it goes."

I think White did what he had to do, maybe did what he felt was right, and I have no reason to think he's insincere in his comments.

That being said, I agree with Swerb here. I think Lesnar, establishing himself as the heel - a guy that the old guard, original harcore MMA guys are going to despise.....I think that will grow the sports more than the negative conduct.

White's comments appease the current MMA world, and Lesnar's actions will bring more in to peruse it.

The more eyes that see the product, the better. The MMA isn't a WWE dog and pony show. People will figure that out for themselves. But bottom line - Lesnar is going to grow the sport.

Get Dana White in a room by himself, and gun to his head, I'll bet he'd tell you he's thrilled.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am

Lesnar will sell tickets no matter what he says or does outside of the cage. The guy is a freak of an athlete and very talented. For being so new to the sport, what he has accomplished is very damn impressive.
I like him and selling the fight and bad mouthing your opponent before the fight is nothing new and part of the event.
The UFC has done a excellent job doing things their way, and that is what makes them great.
Dana White is a guy that you don't want as your enemy.
There are a bunch of guys that will never get a chance to get into or back into the octagon because of just that.
A lot of companies aren't allowed to be represented at their shows as well.
I'm all for the sport growing but certain things don't belong in mma, and any sport for that matter.

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am

This article off Yahoo is similar to the one posted above.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=d ... &type=lgns

Leads me to ponder whether Dana White was "really shocked" at Lesnar's post-fight antics OR that White is becoming a master promoter and shill. (Look at how he took advantage of the "Kimbo" train-wreck)

Either way, if they continue to give Lesnar a quality fight , the potential Lesnar/Fedor fight (if White can pull it off) could be the biggest PPV in UFC history...........
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:43 am

Dana White is the smartest man in sports and the best promoter of all time.
Lesnar vs Fedor will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:13 pm

FYI... Just heard Dana White on Rome, he described the night as "weird" and said he gave both Lesnar and Henderson an earful after the show. Good promoter even called out Fedor to step up and fight in his organization.

OK, added commentary on MMA, not getting into it's ramifications on society as a whole:

My first exosure to MMA was Ken Shamrock fights on video tapes in the late 90's, and I still don't know what to make of it as a sport. I've had roommates and friends get in to it, I just can't. I can't seem to get past the premise of one guy jumping on an other guy while he's on his back and blasting his dome with fists, knees to the gut, and forearm shivers. Breaks the "don't kick a man when he's down" man's law I was brought up with. Just too brute and too barfight for me, plus I don't want to be watching when someone dies (and that will happen).

I'm sure that my perception doesn't capture the technique and skills involved, but I don't think it will ever get over the hump of being an unwatchable cringefest for me.

My $.02, but I think I represent a large number of adult US sportsfans regarding MMA. Will probably never has mass appeal, but if I was an MMA fan- I think I'd like the notion that it's going to fringe forever. Keep the chicks and wimps like me away.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 pm

FightDr wrote:Dana White is the smartest man in sports and the best promoter of all time.
Lesnar vs Fedor will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Oh please let this happen.

That would be worth the $49.99 on it's own. C'mon Fedor, sign the deal and lets do this.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm

From top heavyweight contender Shane Carwin:

The main card did not let us down. Each match was put together perfectly and in the end the fans got to see a great display of technique, talent and heart. I cannot say I was surprised by anything that night other then Brock's reaction to beating a very tough Frank Mir. Frank is a legend and a great guy who got out powered not out classed. The sponsor issue, you need to talk to your manager not the fans or Dana.

The flipping off of the fans that just lined your pocket with millions of dollars is just LAME. He may be a Champion but he has a long ways to go before he earns the respect of a Champion. The fans are why we do this Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama it is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you can't earn your peers respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world. We have no scripts in this sport, no pre-determined earning amount and no pre-determined outcomes. It doesn't matter if you win or loose it matters how you win or loose.

Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport int he world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just dont get it.

From leaving the venue all the way to the Airport I have had fans of the sport ask me to take out Brock Lesnar for them. The thing is I have a very tough fight ahead of me that IMO is every bit as tough and talented as Brock. Cain is no joke and he may have had a tough fight against Kongo but I got rocked against Gonzaga. Fact is we are at the top of the HWT division and anyone we fight moving forward is going to be a real test. Cain is nothing short of a super athlete with amazing wrestling and he trains with one of the best camps in the country. I am sure Joe Silva told Cain the same thing he told us, winner gets the title shot. Cain is not looking past me he is looking right at me as the person that is in his way from potentially one of the greatest opportunities of his life and mine.

I have said what I have to say about Brock. He will make sure the world knows who he is and what he is all about. I ask that you my fans and the fans of Cain give this fight its due. You would never see two rising undefeated stars put together in Boxing so enjoy this fight. Two warriors with wills to win and the skills to do so are going to show those watching UFC 104 what the future of the sport will look like. Tune in and support Cain and I.

Unread postby XUDawg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:25 am

Love Carwin's comments. Lesnar ruined a great win by taunting Mir, who had already beaten him, and then spitting, flipping the crowd off, and taking a shot at the UFC's sponsors.

Also, anyone who called Henderson's second blow "cheap" or anything else negative, fighters are supposed to continue to fight until the referee ends the fight. The fact that Bisping was KOed is irrelevant. There are plenty of flash KOs where a fighter regains consciousness after a second or two, and then could defend himself, and possibly get beaten even worse (see Pete Sell- Matt Brown). Love Hendo for that beatdown of a guy who is the third biggest douche in MMA next to K. Shamrock and Brock Lesnar.

Good to see Paulo Filho back to winning ways in Dream 10 in Japan against a good standup fighter in Manhoef. His drug addiction and strange performance against Chael Sonnen had me worried.
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am

The biggest promblem with Henderson is the fact that he said he landed that second bomb (and it was cheap) on purpose.
I don't really have an issue that he threw it because it happens all the time.
Bisping was limp and he blasted him again and admitted that he did it intentionally, that's the issue I have with the whole thing.

Return to The Rumble Room