Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Just flew in from Mobile...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Just flew in from Mobile...

Unread postby SOBO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:37 pm

....and boy are my arms tired.

:lol:

(I never get sick of that one)

Anyone I thought I'd peak in here early and see if anyone wanted to start up a conversation on the draft or the happenings down in Mobile.

Love the looks of the site Swerb, and it's going to be fun getting this thing rolling!
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 pm

You live in alabama?
SpaZDawG

Unread postby 80sBoy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:38 pm

I'd like to hear what you got, SOBO.

And who is OUR Spaz? - Is it Spaz, or Insano?
80sBoy

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:41 pm

For those that don't know, "Sobo" is Brent Sobleski, and he just got back from the Senior Bowl, where he was doing some scouting.

Sobo is a draft guru, and will be writing NFL Draft and Browns columns for the site.

I'll start the conversation ... three questions Sobo.

1. What is your gut feeling on the Browns pick at #12?

2. Give me three guys that really impressed you in Mobile.

3. I've heard this draft is very strong at defensive end, a big need of the Browns, whether or not they resign Orpheus or not. Where do you see the Browns targeting DE, and who are some candidates?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby SOBO » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:47 pm

1. What is your gut feeling on the Browns pick at #12?

Well my top three for the position remain the same:

1. Hawk
2. V.Davis
3. Ngata

Coming into this week DeMeco Ryans would have been next on my list. But that certainly isn't the case now. And I have to say I would VERY impressed with both Manny Lawson and Broderick Bunkley. Both are mid first caliber talents in my opinion now; and would be good fits. And my one wild card remains Kai Parham the LB out of Virginia.

IF I had to pick one right now, I'd probably say Lawson was the most likely. Why? Hawk and Vernon Davis should be off the board. I fully expect nose tackle to be addressed before we even enter the draft; and Lawson has the most upside along with filling a HUGE need. Many are looking for the Shawne Merrimen in this class. I don't see one. But Lawson is physically close to DeMarcus Ware last year.

2. Give me three guys that really impressed you in Mobile

As stated, Lawson and Bunkley impressed me the most. The next would have been Darryl Tapp. Imagine a smaller but more tenacious version of Manny Lawson. Great kid who I enjoyed talking with and was a monster off the edge all week. Would be GREAT value in the second round.

3. I've heard this draft is very strong at defensive end, a big need of the Browns, whether or not they resign Orpheus or not. Where do you see the Browns targeting DE, and who are some candidates?

Well first we have to qualify what type of DE you're looking for. You mentioned Orpheus, so I'm assuming you mean 34 DE. That class is not as strong as the "hybrid" DE's who would be OLB's in our system. That said, I really like Claude Wroten. He got into some trouble recently and his stock might drop. He also might be blacklisted by Phil because of the off the field discretions. I go back to Bunkley. I think he has the size and strength to really excel in our system. Dusty Dvoracek had a solid week down in Mobile and would be a good be a godo fit, but has off the field issues as well. Dont' forget about the talented but undersize Polypenesians, Jesse Mahelona and Steve Fifita. One other name I'd like to throw out there for future reference is Barry Cofield of Northwestern. He played both DE and DT at 300 lbs, and had a really good Shrine Game.
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm

SOBO wrote:The next would have been Darryl Tapp. Imagine a smaller but more tenacious version of Manny Lawson.

Eh?

Lawson 6'5, 240
Tapp 6'1, 257
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:36 pm

Lawson 6'5, 240
Tapp 6'1, 257

Put them next to each other and you'll see what I mean. Looking at Lawson in person, there is no way in hell, you'd think the man in 240. He's got the V-shape with broad shoulders, long arms; and very well built.

Tapp on the other hand is heavier but not the same type of physical specimen.

Unread postby SOBO » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:37 pm

That was me btw in the previous response. Have no idea why it didn't let me log in intially. :?:
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 pm

Looking at Lawson in person, there is no way in hell, you'd think the man in 240.

But he IS 240.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:54 pm

SOBO:
I have a lot of relatives who are Hokie alum, so I have followed the Va Tech team pretty closely over the years.
Do you think Tapp could develop into an "off the corner" pass rushing LB in a 34 defense? I realize he might be a bit "specialized" in that role, but seems to me he'd be dyn-o-mite! Plus, I've seen him drop into coverage while playing DE at Va Tech, and look pretty damn good doing it!!!

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:56 pm

PS: This is YSU....I don't know why it is showing me as guest??

I must have dumped the registration cookie or sumthin'??

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:22 am

Swerb blocked you from the site.... now go away.
SpaZDawG

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:49 pm

Damn you, SOBO. You really have Parham stuck in my head now.

You should be an agent. To hear you sell a player would make Jerry McGuire jealous.

Lawson

Unread postby mistero » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Manny Looks like the pick to me. Too bad Hali is against playing OLB. Whatever happens if we are able to pick a front 7 guy with each of our first 2 picks I'll be happy.

Lawson and Hodge would be ideal.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby SOBO » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Do you think Tapp could develop into an "off the corner" pass rushing LB in a 34 defense? I realize he might be a bit "specialized" in that role, but seems to me he'd be dyn-o-mite! Plus, I've seen him drop into coverage while playing DE at Va Tech, and look pretty damn good doing it!!!

I certainly think he has that capability. Coming out of the week, Tapp was arguably one of my favorite players down in Mobile.

At one point in the week Tony Pauline of TFY Draft preview turned to me and asked, "Do Browns fans like Tapp?" In which I replied, "Not sure, but I sure do." Which I got the smart-alec answer, "Obviously. That's why I asked."

Tapp was cleary the best pure pass rusher in Mobile. He has speed off the edge, plays with a fantastic pad level to take advantage of taller offensive linemen, and shows a phlethora of moves. He was only one of two players to be Brick clean all week, and Brick is a top five pick.

Going into the week, I had Tapp as one of those late first/early second tweener selections. With the right team, he could rise; though I'm assuming he's more likely a pick early in the second. IF the Browns haven't addressed the position by their pick in the second and Tapp is one th board; I'd would be MAJORly suprised if we passed on them.

Damn you, SOBO. You really have Parham stuck in my head now.

Believe me when I say he's been stuck in my head as well. I'm just waiting on his workouts to see in what area he really becomes an option. Absolutel PERFECT fit for the Browns specifically. Everyone was giving so much love to Ahmad Brooks earlier this year; and Parham came on to have as good if not a better year in his abscence.

As for being an agent? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah. It's a rule of mine to not like people in general. :wink: Plus I'm too realistic when it comes to where projects should fall to try and BS then into better draft slotting. Just try to research as best I can on players whom I'm most interested in.

Oh and Misterio, LOVE the avatar over here. "Take me to your Leader."
(that's my first comic dork reference over here. :lol: )
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby YSU Fan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:01 am

Swerb blocked you from the site.... now go away

Very :lol: Different board, same SPAZ!!
YSU Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL