Text Size

The Gamblers Den

Kentucky Derby

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

Kentucky Derby

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am

Anyone?

Sets up as a pretty compelling race this year, with four really strong horses, full field of 20.

I Want Revenge off as the 3-1 favorite, with Dunkirk (4-1), Pioneer of the Nile (4-1), and Friesan Fire (6-1) all horses with strong resumes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Kentucky Derby

Unread postby waborat » Sat May 02, 2009 8:33 am

Got clam on Friesan Fire tonight
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Sat May 02, 2009 10:17 am

waborat wrote:Got clam on Friesan Fire tonight

Seems to be a popular pick. I can't help myself, my money is on General Quarters. I'm a sucker for the Charlie Buckets of the world.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 02, 2009 10:27 am

Brutal Derby to try and make $$$ on, this thing is wide open.

Might play some longshots, box 6-7 horses in a couple trifectas. No idea what I want to do with this race yet.

Couple longshots catching my eye ...

Advice (30-1) - Won the Lexington Stakes, racing on just 2 weeks rest, and only for the second time on dirt. Dragging down the odds of this live horse.

Chocolate Candy (20-1) - Workout of the day on Tuesday. Vast experience, but none on dirt.

Musket Man (20-1) - Improved every race, four wins on dirt.

Hold Me Back (15-1) - Desormeaux's pick on who he wanted to ride.

Favorite I like ...

Pioneer of the Nile (4-1) - Baffert. 16 hole. Like both of those factors.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby scott » Sat May 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Revenge scratched this morning.

I got $20 on Papa Clem to win at 20-1. Good value there. He had a solid practice as well - http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50530/oh-papa-papa-clem-in-34-blowout

Wife and 2 year old son each picked a horse by name only. She took Pioneerof the Nile, he took Chocolate Candy. $10 each to win.

Best part - got in and out of the OTB by 10:30. After noon there will be a line out the door of people who don't know what they're doing at the window.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 02, 2009 3:08 pm

My annual $100 contribution...

Trifectas (all boxed)

2, 5, 16
6, 11, 16
2, 6, 16
5, 6, 16

Exactas (all boxed)

5, 16
2, 16
11, 16
4, 16

$10 WPS 16
$6 WPS 11
$6 WPS 2
$4 WPS 4

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 pm

All that betting, won $4.

Unbelievable ... 50-1 shot takes down the Derby. In a ROUT.

Raging hilbillies, everyone involved with that horse, from the jockey (most ridiculous victory lap in Derby history), to the hobbled trainer ("they know who I am now"), to the two owners.

Superfecta paid $450,000. Trifecta paid $50,000.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Sun May 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Thought Tom Durkin was terrible at calling the race...

He was so fixated on Baffert and Stute's horses coming done the stretch that he didn't acknowledge Mine That Bird until he
was 4 lengths clear of the field...

I'm sure bettors all across the country were watching & clenching their tickets wondering who the rail horse was going to be that would make or break their tickets???

Way to go NBC
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 03, 2009 7:09 pm

waborat wrote:Thought Tom Durkin was terrible at calling the race...

He was so fixated on Baffert and Stute's horses coming done the stretch that he didn't acknowledge Mine That Bird until he
was 4 lengths clear of the field...

I'm sure bettors all across the country were watching & clenching their tickets wondering who the rail horse was going to be that would make or break their tickets???

Way to go NBC

Agreed. That was a trainwreck of a call.

Didn't even give us a "and DOOOOOWN THE STRETCH THEY GO AT THE DERBY!!!!!!!!!!!"

Horrid.

I was one of those bettors wondering who was destroying all my exotic tickets.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun May 03, 2009 9:48 pm

The Kentucky Derby provides my least favorite annual camera shot in all of sports.....and there are a ton of bad ones - Garnett's "gangster stare" from the pine, any shot of Romeo Crennell's Art Shell impersonation on the sideline, shirtless slap-nuts at a NASCAR event and on and on.

But nothing is worse than the Derby, when a favorite horse falls short, and they flash up in the stands to the owner's family, and some miserable prick is balling his eyes out. You know, the one little Mo that has had every thing given to him up to this point, and for once he's told no. Dry your eyes with daddy's hundreds on your own time junior, and stay in that private school to avoid being used as a puching bag.

As far as wagering went, Friday night Lead's book had Friesan at 7-1, and the Lead Man was going to get down. Book would not accept the wager at that time, I guess that's when things were going down with the favorite. Good no bet I suppose, cause Lead was payin' No Mine to that bird.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to The Gamblers Den