Text Size

No Holds Barred

Favorite U.S. Cities

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Favorite U.S. Cities

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Im sick about talking about waterboarding.

What are your favorite cities?

Mine?

Larger Cities:

Cleveland - for obvious reasons, sports teams, where I went to college, love the people

Chicago - vibrant, fun, so much to do, great to visit or live (if you don't mind the taxes and housing costs)

Denver - Moving up quickly. Bar scene near Coors Field (Lodo), Access to the mountains and outdoors love it

Smaller Cities:

Okracoke NC: small fishing village in the outerbanks, off the beaten path, great place to vacation

Key West, FL: Been there 3 times for spring break once, good bars, not so great beaches, but just friendly people and fun town

Coeur D'alene ID, Beautiful town on a stunning lake. Only been there once and would love to go back. Just so damn out of the way.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Favorite U.S. Cities

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Favorite large cities:

Houston - wife's parents live on the north-side. Growing very quickly. Getting too overcrowded but very friendly people in Houston.
Chicago - I really like visiting there, but after 2 days I'm ready to get the hell out. Would never move to Chicago.
Minneapolis - Extremely cold in winter, but a lot of nice areas. A whole bunch of corporations have their HQs up in Minneapolis/St Paul.
Cleveland - of course.

City that I'm not a fan of: Philadelphia. Spent 3 yrs there. Living in Philly is not much different than going to an Eagles game wearing Cowboys gear.

Favorite small cities:
Knoxville, TN - Nice college town with beautiful scenery. You want a great time?...rent a cabin right outside Knoxville in the Smokies with a bunch of friends for 4-5 days. One negative=everybody smokes.
Fort Wayne, IN - I'd consider setting up shop there if it was closer than 2 1/2 hrs to any other metropolitan area. Real good size city with small-town feel.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Awesome thread.

Bigger Cities:

Seattle My favorite, hands down. Tons of outdoors stuff to do, never too hot or too cold, surrounded by mountains and water.
Chicago - what Ziner said
Austin I've only lived here 6 months or so, but it's growing on me. Warm winters, reasonable cost of living, laid back people, fun stuff to do.
Denver (agree with you, the bar scene near Coors is awesome). I have a conference in Boulder this summer so I can't wait to check the city out, all I've done is drive through it before.
Columbus Lived there for 5 years, has almost all of the amenities of a bigger city without being crazy overpopulated and bus.

Smaller cities

I agree with you again on Coeur d'Alene...another place I just drove through, but it's stunningly beautiful there. Unbelievable.

Jackson Hole, WY Pretty much right there in terms of hanging out at Yellowstone or Grand Teton. Beautiful area of the country.
Ann Arbor (I know, I know) - I went to college one town over (Ypsilanti) and Ann Arbor is a cool town.
Traverse City, MI - up in northern lower peninsula of Michigan, right on Lake Michigan. Pretty much anywhere up north in Michigan is awesome in the summer - huge, awesome beaches, etc.
Bellingham, WA - even more beautiful than Seattle. About 30 miles or so from Vancouver BC. Beautiful place. Can get out to the San Juan islands from there, lots of fun to go whale watching and the like.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:51 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Traverse City, MI - up in northern lower peninsula of Michigan, right on Lake Michigan. Pretty much anywhere up north in Michigan is awesome in the summer - huge, awesome beaches, etc.

Forgot about this area, Love this area. Petoskey too. Beautiful part of the country and nice little towns along the lake.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Big Cities:

Manhattan, Las Vegas, Phoenix

Not sure it qualifies as big but Nashville is right there for me whatever bracket you put it in.

Small towns: Annapolis, Steamboat Springs, Co, Savannah GA, Any in the Outer Banks, Charleston SC
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Peeker643 wrote: Savannah GA

Ever been to St. Patty's day there? Its a must do. Savannah is a great city
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Ziner wrote:
Peeker643 wrote: Savannah GA

Ever been to St. Patty's day there? Its a must do. Savannah is a great city

No sir, have not. Been there a few times but never in March. Like to go about this time of year, maybe mid May.

Was in Annapolis last week, in Charleston the week after next and then in Nashville June 9-14th so I'm going to some places I like to go in the next 6 weeks.

Now, if I could just get Vegas back on the schedule.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Not sure it qualifies as big but Nashville is right there for me whatever bracket you put it in.

Is that considered the Honkey Holy Land?

Large Cities.

Columbus- My hometown gotta love it, nice people, great sports city, alot of good food and bars.

Cleveland- Only really been up for sports games but I like the people, really want to see more.

Seattle- Went there for a friend's wedding, what a stunning city. Good bars, the people seem very nice.

Smaller Cities

Knoxville- What Idoc said, I have family that live right outside in Lenoir City. The Smokey Moutains are infriggincredible.

Savannah- I love the old colonial look of much of the city, it's like going back in time.

Kelly's Island- Now I know it's not a city, but I love it, if I won the Mega Millions i'd buy it. Call it Cerebral's Fantasy Island.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby buckeye319 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:20 pm

In no particular order:

Denver - Ziner, have you been to Colfax Ave yet? Cool bar scene, different than the LoDo crowd.
Washington, DC
San Francisco - beautiful city
St. Louis - underrated city. great sports town, good people.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Not sure it qualifies as big but Nashville is right there for me whatever bracket you put it in.

Savannah- I love the old colonial look of much of the city, it's like going back in time.

Kelly's Island- Now I know it's not a city, but I love it, if I won the Mega Millions i'd buy it. Call it Cerebral's Fantasy Island.

Dude, you're going to Vegas in a few weeks but I'm taking the wifey to Nashville for her 40th this year. And I'm not that upset about the destination.

Staying at a nice plantation-style hotel a few miles outside the city.

Just Picked up a couple a dem CMA Fest '09 4 day passes for we can go see the shows each night. The bars and honkey tonks will be jumpin's all weekend and there's a vibe in that city that's surpassed by very few places I've been.

You know what it is? I've said it before, but it's desperation. It's there in Vegas. It's in Manhattan. And it's in Nashville where some of the best musicians in the world are one inch away from fame, fortune and lifetime supply of broads. And they're that close but they're playing for nothing on Lower Boroadway whether it be blues or country.

There's a razor thin edge in places like that and that's where the excitement and energy comes from.

I know country ain't the popular domain here. But I love all kinds of music and the people down there are a great time and about as passionate but polite as you'll ever see in your life.

Good food, tons to do every night of the year and that city puts our city to shame from almost every perspective.

I love the south.

I could do without their lack of urgency when I'm waiting for a beer or food but there is a different level of hospitality and friendliness.

Not to mention the sweet tea. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:39 pm

buckeye319 wrote:Denver - Ziner, have you been to Colfax Ave yet? Cool bar scene, different than the LoDo crowd.

No, but I will put it on my list.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby BDFD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

In order:

Cleveland, OH
Mantua, OH
Maple Heights, OH (my hometown - used to be #2 until it fell apart)
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 pm

I would only even consider living in a few places in the US:

Boston - most Ohio peeps hate for no reason other than a lack of knowledge. JB's got love because he's got experience.

Chicago - awesome city

NYC - nothing needs said

San Fran - see Chicago

May possibly consider Seattle and/or DC if the job was right. DC is too hot for me though and Seattle a bit small.

I couldn't stomach living in a place where I needed a car and didn't have a pub across the street.

Philly is the worst major city in the US and every time I am there I feel like I need to bathe in bleach to get the grossness off of me.

Grew up in small town Ohio and it was nice and all, but not for me.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Large cities:

CTown of course (although not necessarily my favorite).

Las Vegas

Toronto (15-20 years ago).

Small cities:

Greensboro, North Carolina. In Spring and fall it is a tough place to beat for scenery and overall good feelings it gives you.

Put in Bay (Island on Lake Erie for those who do not know). Oddly enough as much as I like the place I have little memory of it. :cheers:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Squints » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Favorite cities to visit, but not necessarily to live-

Big-

NYC- Specifically Brooklyn.
Cleveland
Boston
Washington

Small-

Falmouth, MA
Lake Placid, NY- Wasn't there in the winter, that may change my mind
Marblehead, OH
Corolla, NC
Erie, PA- It grew on me.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby waborat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm

FUDU wrote:
Toronto (15-20 years ago).

Got that one right...hell of a place back in the 80's and early 90's...haven't been since '97 because of the overflowing melting pot, high costs and having to pay to park everytime you move your car 10 feet

FAVES:

1. Las Vegas

2. Lake Tahoe

3. Naples, FL
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Cleveland
Put-In-Bay
Charlottesville
San Antonio
Charleston
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby mistero » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm all Cleveland but San Diego wasn't too shabby when I was stationed there. Much easier to live there than LA.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Dude, you're going to Vegas in a few weeks but I'm taking the wifey to Nashville for her 40th this year. And I'm not that upset about the destination.

Just Picked up a couple a dem CMA Fest '09 4 day passes for we can go see the shows each night. The bars and honkey tonks will be jumpin's all weekend and there's a vibe in that city that's surpassed by very few places I've been.

You know what it is? I've said it before, but it's desperation. It's there in Vegas. It's in Manhattan. And it's in Nashville where some of the best musicians in the world are one inch away from fame, fortune and lifetime supply of broads. And they're that close but they're playing for nothing on Lower Boroadway whether it be blues or country.

There's a razor thin edge in places like that and that's where the excitement and energy comes from.

I know country ain't the popular domain here. But I love all kinds of music and the people down there are a great time and about as passionate but polite as you'll ever see in your life.

Good food, tons to do every night of the year and that city puts our city to shame from almost every perspective.

I love the south.

I could do without their lack of urgency when I'm waiting for a beer or food but there is a different level of hospitality and friendliness.

Ahh yeah I love the South too, despite poking fun at it (Bayou :dingle: ). I forgot to include New Orleans been there for 2 Mardi gras and the OSU/LSU NT game. A wonderful city with a Savannah like setting, the French Quarter is killllller.

The people are very nice and they go out of their way to make sure you have a good experience.

And ohh that sweet tea is killer, especially with a lil booze in it.

Have fun down there Peek, i'll be drunk as shit gambling in Sin City. :yessss:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm

1. NYC: Best of pretty much everything in the US. I just wonder if my heart would explode after living in a place with so much non-stop energy for more than a few years.

2. San Francisco: Easily, I think, the prettiest city in the US. Best restaurant in the US, along with wine country, a relatively short drive away. Nice cool weather all year long. People seem much more laid back and friendly than in NYC. Earthquakes can't be that bad, right?

3. Washington DC: Specifically, Old Town Alexandria, VA, which is essentially a suburb of DC. Think a slightly smaller version of Savannah or Charleston with all the advantages of a major city 10 minutes away. Very cool place. A little warm for me, but not too bad.

Those are the only places I've ever been in the US that I'd want to live in outside of Cleveland. Once I get around to visiting Boston, I expect that to make the list as well, though. Chicago's cool and all, but why leave Cleveland for Chicago? A more lively downtown doesn't outweigh "hometown" for me, and IMO Chicago is just a more lively version of Cleveland (and much more expensive) on a bigger scale.

In other news, Toronto is NOT on my list of Top US Cities, believe it or not.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Major cities:

1. San Francisco. Could never live there, but the city itself is just amazing

2. Boston. I'm with Ey0...incredible history.

3. Denver. If I didn't hate cold weather so much...I'd consider moving there

4. Seattle. The traffic sucks, and it rains too much, but other than that...

5. Atlanta. Bwhahahaha....just kidding...that place sucks. Gotta be a homer and go with Cleveland

Small cities:

1 Sedona, AZ
2 Charlotte
3 Savannah...I have been there for St. Patty's day...Dublin might be the only place better
4 Myrtle Beach (the entire area. Golf Mecca)
5 Richmond, VA

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 am

Chicago - lots to do downtown, great restaurants, developed waterfront

Greenville, S.C. - spent a weekend here for a job interview. Growing city but a 4 block area has a Main St USA feel. Lots of little shops, bars and restaurants. The two nights I was here the downtown area was twice as populated as downtown Cleveland

NOLA - The Quarter! also the restaurant scene is great as well.

Atlanta - traffic blows and the airport is a pain in the ass but once you get there it's a blast.

Key West - it's been some time since I've been there but you get caught up in the laid back lifestyle where everything is a step or two behind the hustle and bustle of up north. Loved it so much a small group of us we're this close to opening a bed and breakfast right on Duval St. Investors wife made him back out because she wanted him retired.

Greensboro Georgia -spent a couple weeks here during the opening of The Ritz at Lake Okonee. Beautiful, old South town. Lots of historic buildings(most built early 1800's)
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Tymaster » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 am

Columbus: home. that's it 'nuff said. E/T in the world you get friggin' want (unless you're an LA or NYC transplant) w/out the headache. You can get from point a to point b easy. Easy going, yet has all you need. Clean city too.

Cleveland. Duh. Much more "east coast" than Columbus, more progressive, which I like.

NYC: if you haven't been, do it. I can't explain it.

Chicago: friendly NYC, but colder.

Atlanta: it's like a super hot Chicago.

DC: take a group of students every summer. Amazing place.

Indy: it's like a mini Chicago or a Chicago meets Columbus thing they've got going on there. I dig it.

NOLA: there's a vibe there like none other.

Vegas: I'm no gambler, but just hanging there for a wknd. is fun as hell.

Denver: no Browns fan should like the city, but, what can I say, it's a cool city.

Smaller Places:

PIB: best place in Ohio
Ocean City, MD. Most overlooked gem on the east coast.
Athens, OH. You just have to visit. Let alone go to school there.
Erie, PA. Just like the whole "mini city on the lake" thing they've got going.
El Paso: has it's own unique spanish charm. Not the dump on the river most American's perceive.
Last edited by Tymaster on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tymaster

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:10 am

Cooperstown, NY. as a complete seamhead, i wish i lived there. when my dad and i road triped there a couple years ago its was a really fun weekend. its such a cozy little town. and the little stores are fantastic, i bought countless unique and funny baseball shirts, and throwback t-shirts. good food too. just an all American type of town, especially for a crazed baseball fan. as soon as you get there it feels like you have walked back in time, or into a layer of baseball heaven. good luck finding somewhere to park though.
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Dare I say I do like to go out in Pittsburgh sometimes? :bag:
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm

I'll stick to only places I have lived/visited for enough time to get a real vibe. Thus, sadley, Boston does not make the list.

Favorite Large Cities Excluding Cleveland
San Fran
NYC (Manhattan)
Chicago
Denver (on days without the Brown Cloud)
San Antonio
Houston

Favorite Small Cities
Kaneohe HI
Melbourne FLA
Boulder CO
Traverse City MI
Destin/Ft. Walton FLA
Saddle River NJ
Lafayette LA

Cities I don't like
Detroit
Memphis
Los Angeles - just never got it
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Lafayette LA

Obviously a typo, right? I mean, definitely some great looking co-eds but not much else.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I love the south.

Im so jealous, Ive always wanted to go to Nashville.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:55 am

Whheeeeew, alright. Let's go...

Love it

Boston
Chicago
Chesapeake
Memphis -- love it/hate it, depending on where you're at it's 2 different cities
NOLA -- absolutely despise it during Mardi Gras, but if you catch it on a quiet morning or evening when the weather is nice and it's very nice and peaceful.

And there are a ton of college towns that make the list mainly due to the "scenery", if you will -- Athen (GA), Oxford (MS), etc
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Easy: LaJolla, Cali . There shouldn't be a place as beautiful.

The rest, so far, no order, looking forward to seeing many more.

Portland
Savannah GA
Struthers, Ohio
Chicago
Key West
Kent
Tybee Is, GA
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby 216 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Big Cities
Cleveland
San Fran (one of the cleanest Big cities I have seen)
San Diego
Tampa
NY
Miami (its a love hate relationship)

Smaller Cities/towns
Palm Harbor, FL
Key West, FL
Monterey,Ca
Santa Cruz,Ca
Alameda, Ca

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Lafayette LA

Obviously a typo, right? I mean, definitely some great looking co-eds but not much else.

Nope. Lived in NOLA for awhile. Girlfriend was from Houma. Worked a bit in Larose. Had an office and training center in Lafayette. Hated NOLA. Loved the rest of South Lousiana. Real people. Great food. They love their sports. 90% of the women are smoking hot. At that point in my life, I didn't need anything else.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:33 am

That's cool man, you were all in my wheel house. I was born/raised right outside of Thibodaux. Small world.

NOLA is one of those places I can take in doses. I could never live there. Houma is also changing alot, very different place than it was 10 or more years ago.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am

Manhattan Island NY, Las Vegas NV, San Diego CA, & Hilton Head SC.

My big four. Chicago is a really cool city as well.

Cities I would like to visit that I have not: Boston, Seattle, Dallas.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

Having grown up in a family that worked for a Major Airline (free tickets) at last count I was at about 44 states I've been to, not counting Canada and Mexico.....

Favorites....any city out west!
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby Naxos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 am

Larger Cities:

Cleveland
San Diego
Denver

Smaller Cities/Towns:

Saratoga Springs, NY
Portsmouth, NH
Lake Tahoe

Cities I have very much disliked:

New York, NY
Charlestown, SC
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:06 pm

San Diego is my favorite city I have ever been to.

Cleveland is by far the best city in Ohio. I might be biased because I lived there from 95-2001. Great time to be in the city.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Inspector Butters » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Cleveland - Where I'm from. Enough said.
Philadelphia - Currently live here and it's a good time with good people. Though I'm now spoiled by cheesesteaks. They're no good anywhere else.
Los Angeles - Great weather, the film community, and the best Chinese food I've ever had. (Really, anywhere in California)
Chicago - Great city
Seattle - See Chicago
"In Cleveland? Why, I didn't know we still had a team!"

"Yep, we got uniforms and everything."
Inspector Butters

Favorite Player: Cabrera and Cribbs

Unread postby Naxos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Inspector Butters wrote:Philadelphia - Currently live here and it's a good time with good people. Though I'm now spoiled by cheesesteaks. They're no good anywhere else.

I took one of my friends from Cleveland to Gino's when he was visiting and we both agree that Mr. Hero's back home in Ohio has much better cheesesteaks than you can find in Philly.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby dmiles » Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 am

Never been to Boston or NY. Kind of strange that my consulting days inlcuded trips to UK/Holland/Japan and I traveled weekly nothing came up east coast, and I never travel anywhere on my own dime as I hate the whole damn experience. Hell NY is only about 6 hours from Y-Town right? I could have driven, but I digress.

Just spent 4 days for a software conference at the Grand Hyatt in San Antonio, a lot of fun that place was.

Big Towns:
San Antonio
Cleveland (obvious)
San Diego (current)
San Francisco (drive up once in a while too cheap to buy 4 plane tickets)
Houston - (had a rented apt in Kemah area for long term weekly travel gig, much fun)

Small Towns
Is Portland small? Pretty cool place
Charlotte wasn't bad, didn't care much for Raleigh-Durham where I rented a room for 2 years but wouldn't leave Warren to relocate (long story)
Encinitas, CA - Moonlight Beach, Cardiff, it's home now... I rarely go down into SD, though I am guilty of eating and drinking more often in Solana Beach.
Lake Milton, OH - famous for successfully keeping the mullet in style. Town motto is "You might beat our sports team, but you'd better not start any shit boy". What the hell it's home....

Places I've spent time in but wouldn't want to live:
First off one thing is I pretty much coach baseball in my non-work hours so that's my bias against the no-car towns, they are all otherwise cool:
Chicago - cool to visit a lot to do, but anything more than 7 days I start hating trains (or buses)
San Fransisco - see above
LA - just bleech though I might get stuck there if SD doesn't pan out
Miami
Raleigh-Durham - (I hate that with tons of open space homes are still jammed on weanie-ass .25 acre lots if that)
Pittsburgh - Kind of fun, but don't really want to live there, though I could live a few miles south of JB and be closer to grandparents (and still be in Ohio)
Atlanta - Just not my style

I know, ey0 and I are pretty much polar opposites here, and I think if my life had turned out differently I might have enjoyed the urban lifestyle, but with our hobbies and interests, it would just suck for the kids. Maybe when the kids are up and out it might be kind of cool, but by then I might not want to.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri May 01, 2009 8:11 am

Philadelphia - Currently live here and it's a good time with good people. Though I'm now spoiled by cheesesteaks. They're no good anywhere else.

Pat's or Geno's?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jfiling » Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Least favorite city is easily Detroit.

Favorite is Akron, which is probably why I live here. Phoenix is awesome to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. If I had to pick another city to live in, I'd probably go with Houston, although in light of the comment above that it's getting overcrowded I may be too late. Maybe San Diego instead.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri May 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Favorites:

Manhattan- The food, the pace, the energy are incredible. It's the most alive place I've ever been, and I want to go back in the worst way.

Chicago- Every amenity of a world-class city, with none of the pretension. Like a bigger, more fun, more cosmopilitan version of Cleveland.*

*- Special shout-out to Evanston. I visited it and the Northwestern campus with my HS history class and fell head-over-heels in love with the place. Of course, I was there in May, not December...

Vegas- Like no place else on earth.

Albuquerque- If you ever have a chance, drive into Albuquerque at night on I-40 westbound. You come up over a mountain and bam- it just spreads out below you. Beautiful. I don't know about living there, out in the rugged fastness, but man that's some kind of scenery. Actually, I love the Southwest in general. Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Kingman, Victorville California- it's just gorgeous out there.

Non-Favorites:

Los Angeles- I dunno, maybe it's that I spent most of my time there in the Valley, but it just looked to me like a vast, dirty suburb. And Shaker Heights whups Beverly Hills' ass.

Washington DC- Everything outside the Government area seems to be a slum, and it's absolutely miserable there in the summer. I went there in June of 1998 for the Tibet Freedom Concert at RFK and was sweating buckets the entire time. You couldn't pay me to live there.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Lake Milton, OH - famous for successfully keeping the mullet in style. Town motto is "You might beat our sports team, but you'd better not start any shit boy". What the hell it's home....

War : Craig Beach
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Washington DC- Everything outside the Government area seems to be a slum, and it's absolutely miserable there in the summer. I went there in June of 1998 for the Tibet Freedom Concert at RFK and was sweating buckets the entire time. You couldn't pay me to live there.

When is the last time you were actually in DC? The gov't area is nice, the NW is gorgeous and just full of partying 20 somethings with good jobs or urban 30 somethings and the SW is nice. The NE still has some legit issues but the SE has a lot of promise with the new stadium development. DC is the text book example of urban renewal done right and has had one of the fastest growing economies in the country for most of this decade. Today it is bustling, clean, has fantastic public transportation and is full or young professionals and gov't peeps.

If you want to see awesome DC hang in NW around Georgetown and Dupont Circle.

And RFK was barely even in DC. It was way out on the east side next to some real crappy areas.

Not going to argue about the heat though. I had an internship in school right on the inner-harbor in B-more one summer. Every-time I left the building it felt like I was walking into a sauna.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat May 09, 2009 12:25 am

When is the last time you were actually in DC? The gov't area is nice, the NW is gorgeous and just full of partying 20 somethings with good jobs or urban 30 somethings and the SW is nice. The NE still has some legit issues but the SE has a lot of promise with the new stadium development. DC is the text book example of urban renewal done right and has had one of the fastest growing economies in the country for most of this decade. Today it is bustling, clean, has fantastic public transportation and is full or young professionals and gov't peeps.

If you want to see awesome DC hang in NW around Georgetown and Dupont Circle.

And RFK was barely even in DC. It was way out on the east side next to some real crappy areas.

Key words are "June of 1998" and "seems."

Not going to argue about the heat though. I had an internship in school right on the inner-harbor in B-more one summer. Every-time I left the building it felt like I was walking into a sauna

Yeah, the heat and humidity were the worst part. I guess that's what happens when you build a city out of a swamp.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 am

Bump - as a companion thread to Dan's vacation thread.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

Favorites:

Fort Collins, CO - Beautiful city, with a fun college atmosphere. Everything you could want is within an hour or two's drive...Denver, mountains, skiing...all right there. It reminds me of a midwest town that got up and moved near the mountains. I'd love to live there someday.

Chicago - Love this city. We went on a HS trip. Thought I saw Hawk Harrelson once. Was going to try to pelt him with a rock and scream "You can put it on the board...YES!", but it turned out to be just some guy.

Some places I'd like to go:

Seattle
LA/San Diego/Monterrey, CA
Dallas
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby mitch » Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm

FUDU wrote:Small cities:

Greensboro, North Carolina. In Spring and fall it is a tough place to beat for scenery and overall good feelings it gives you.

Better give me a ring next time you're down here for a beer or twenty, or I'll kick your ass.

Large Cities:

San Francisco
Boston
New Orleans
Seattle
Chicago

Smaller Cities:

Asheville, NC (blows Knoxville away, IMHO)
Savannah
Myrtle Beach
Richmond, VA

Now if you throw in international:

Edinburgh, Scotland
Vancouver, BC
Toronto
Dublin
London

(And a whole lot more I am hoping to see over the next 10 years).
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Big -

Cleveland - my hometown...used to think it was a big city till I went to Chicago... could never move too far away from my sports teams

Chicago- for all the previously stated reasons

San Francisco - San Jose - lots to see and do...beautiful place

Boston - would be a lot better if people knew how to drive

Pittsburgh - raised to hate it...loved it when I finally started visiting there. Women try harder

Smaller -

Asheville and all of western NC

Savannah, GA - picturesque southern town

Lake Tahoe - most beautiful place I've ever been...plus casinos

Greenville, SC - (see Savannah)

Ditto on Coeur D'Alene and also Kalispell/Missoula, western Montana...Flathead Lake area....incredibly beautiful place. Also Moscow, Idaho, just across state line from Pullman, WA...nice area...U of Idaho and WSU five minutes apart.

Ditto on Traverse City/Petoskey/Charlevoix, MI....my all-time favorite vacation spot is Grand Marais, MI...a tiny, isolated town on the northern shore of the UP on Lake Superior. Love driving up the west coast of MI on the way to the Mackinac Bridge and beyond.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Next

Return to No Holds Barred