Text Size

No Holds Barred

Arlen Specter to switch parties

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Arlen Specter to switch parties

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Go ahead, just give back everyone of your campaign contributors their money back as well as any money given to you by the RNC. I dont know for a fact he took money from the RNC, but I'd imagine while they dont love him, once he won the primary they didnt want to lose the seat.

In reality he was still going to vote how he wanted to anyways, but I dont like when anyone switches party mid term. If he wants to switch next election thats fine caucus as a GOP until you get sworn in next time, but only take DNC contributions for your elections.

Dems now have a filibuster proof majority. Kinda scary, not much in the lines of checks and balances going to be happening.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix ... rties.html
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Arlen Specter to switch parties

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Even as a former PA Republican, this is not a big deal to me. He was a RINO, and a snake-in-the-grass all along. He is only doing this to save his own ass in the next election. If he had run as a Republican, no way in hell he would've been re-elected since he would've been defeated in the primary.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm

I'll trade you straight up. You take Droopy Dog Lieberman and we'll take the living dead guy. keeps the FPM outta play.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Even as a former PA Republican, this is not a big deal to me. He was a RINO, and a snake-in-the-grass all along. He is only doing this to save his own ass in the next election. If he had run as a Republican, no way in hell he would've been re-elected since he would've been defeated in the primary.

This is actually a positive. Hopefully the PA RNC realizes this and runs a conservative not a Republican.

But give back the money Arlen.

Oh and bring up Spygate again, it makes you look super smart.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Ziner wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:Even as a former PA Republican, this is not a big deal to me. He was a RINO, and a snake-in-the-grass all along. He is only doing this to save his own ass in the next election. If he had run as a Republican, no way in hell he would've been re-elected since he would've been defeated in the primary.

This is actually a positive. Hopefully the PA RNC realizes this and runs a conservative not a Republican.

Which do you mean? The money from the RNC or the bribe he just took from the democrats to switch sides in order to gain filibuster proof status?
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby bw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Which do you mean? The money from the RNC or the bribe he just took from the democrats to switch sides in order to gain filibuster proof status?

It's how the dims work. They stole the Stevens seat, they stole the Franken seat and now, they're stealing the Spector seat.

I think the Republican Party might be fucked for ten or twenty years. Not that they don't deserve it, but there will be no voice of moderation, nothing to stop the dims from their 'Ready, Fire, Aim' political moves.

Whatever happens in the next two years, whatever stumbles and bumbles this country goes through, the dims are on the hook for it. The sad part is, the lying filth in the LSM will continue to run interference for them and we now that 'public opinion' is identical in almost every way to media opinion.

Looks like the Republicans are going to have one hell of a mess to clean up once they regain power.

Anybody else notice that the Government is taking total control of GM along with the UAW? Probably not and, even if they did, they don't get it. As usual. The Government is going to own over 50% of GM with the UAW controlling up to 39%. Meanwhile, the bond holders who have the most to lose get shit on. That should really help sell bonds in the future.

It is EXACTLY as I predicted. EXACTLY.

So, what else is new? I'm seldom wrong about anything.

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1541996

UAW, Washington set to control Chrysler, GM
Deadline for restructuring days away
Staff, Nicolas Van Praet, driving.ca
Published: Tuesday, April 28, 2009
bw

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 pm

The chicken has come home to roost. In 2004, Specter faced a tough primary against a real conservative, Pat Toomey. Bush and the Repub establishment backed Specter, who barely won. Nice job, G.O.P.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Ziner wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_go_co/us_specter_switch

In Pennsylvania, the chairman of the state Republican Party, Rob Gleason, said that Specter should offer a refund to Republicans who have helped fatten his war chest, which totaled $5.8 million at the end of 2008. "He should give them the option," Gleason said.

Even before Gleason made his comments, Specter announced he would return donations he has received this election cycle "upon request."
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:11 pm

He's just afraid that he'll lose his primary election. He's already said he won't vote for cloture on EFCA (Employee Free Choice Act), opposes Obama's choice for the Office of Legal Counsel (Dawn Johnsen), and keeps whining about how the Club for Growth strategy "cost us" (i.e., the GOP) Bush's judicial nominees.

In other words, he's still a Republican. Not a conservative, but a Republican. He's just buying himself some more time.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:In other words, he's still a Republican. Not a conservative, but a Republican. He's just buying himself some more time.

If only congress would pass term limits.... wonder why they never thought of it :bag:

Seriously though, I think everyone can agree that turnover in congress would do a whole hell of alot of good. You want to know why there arent fresh ideas... because every jackass in there has been in for decades. 53 current senators have been in office since before 2000.

Time to replace people like Byrd, Kennedy, Lugar, Hatch, Levin, Dodd, Grassley etc. If you havent accomplished what you wanted to in 28 plus years since they have been elected they arent going to ever. They want the perks, paycheck, benefit and power, and that does not make America better.

2 terms and your done for senators would be fine with me 6 and your done for HoR, and no switching back and forth. Go get a real job.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Ziner wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:In other words, he's still a Republican. Not a conservative, but a Republican. He's just buying himself some more time.

If only congress would pass term limits.... wonder why they never thought of it :bag:

Seriously though, I think everyone can agree that turnover in congress would do a whole hell of alot of good. You want to know why there arent fresh ideas... because every jackass in there has been in for decades. 53 current senators have been in office since before 2000.

Time to replace people like Byrd, Kennedy, Lugar, Hatch, Levin, Dodd, Grassley etc. If you havent accomplished what you wanted to in 28 plus years since they have been elected they arent going to ever. They want the perks, paycheck, benefit and power, and that does not make America better.

2 terms and your done for senators would be fine with me 6 and your done for HoR, and no switching back and forth. Go get a real job.

I have two ideas even better, one of which I've harped on here before:

1) Repeal the 17th Amendment. Let states choose their senators through their legislators, instead of having popular elections for them.
2) Have every member of Congress be the winner of a lottery. Want to be in Congress? Sign up for your district's lottery, and if you want to be a senator, sign up for the state lottery. I guarantee that system would give us better government than the current "send as much pork as possible to your constituents" system does.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Ziner wrote:

A-friggin-men.

These lifer politicians are a huge part of the problem 2 six year terms are plenty.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm

jfiling wrote:
Ziner wrote:

1) Repeal the 17th Amendment. Let states choose their senators through their legislators, instead of having popular elections for them.
2) Have every member of Congress be the winner of a lottery. Want to be in Congress? Sign up for your district's lottery, and if you want to be a senator, sign up for the state lottery. I guarantee that system would give us better government than the current "send as much pork as possible to your constituents" system does.

Thats is a perfectly good idea. I promise you'd have less assholes and more intelligence in a random sample like that I promise you. Can we throw in a reading test in the south though?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Ziner wrote:
jfiling wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Thats is a perfectly good idea. I promise you'd have less assholes and more intelligence in a random sample like that I promise you. Can we throw in a reading test in the south though?

Why? I only ask because, have you seen some of the illiterate Democrats that the south continually elected to the House? I can't find the video at the moment, but I remember clearly an African-American member of the House from the south who used the phrase "coup d'etat" about 20 times a minute in her floor speech condemning the Clinton impeachment. It was like she thought that phrase was a magic talisman that would make her look intelligent and get her point across better. It really didn't help her cause that she couldn't pronounce it, though.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:50 pm

jfiling wrote:
Ziner wrote:
jfiling wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Why? I only ask because, have you seen some of the illiterate Democrats that the south continually elected to the House? I can't find the video at the moment, but I remember clearly an African-American member of the House from the south who used the phrase "coup d'etat" about 20 times a minute in her floor speech condemning the Clinton impeachment. It was like she thought that phrase was a magic talisman that would make her look intelligent and get her point across better. It really didn't help her cause that she couldn't pronounce it, though.

Only making a joke. If this was something seriously considered I would like them to have to pass a civics test though. Too bad ideas that would make America less corrupt would never be considered.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I think this may be the woman I was talking about:

Listen to this woman talk. It's laughable, and she's a law school grad.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 pm

For me alot of it is people in the Party I like (I guess I like it) are as useless as tits on a boar. I could care less what the Dems on the West and East coast think. Nothing about Pelosi makes me think she is worth a wooden nickel. Same for Reed, Dodd, Frank, and a slew of other brainless dipshits that these people vote for.

Pelosi reminds of some kind of large weasel like creature.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 pm

jfiling wrote:

What a honor for Urban Meyers, Percy Harvey and their sckool to be talked about on the congress floor.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

Ziner wrote:
jfiling wrote:

What a honor for Urban Meyers, Percy Harvey and their sckool to be talked about on the congress floor.

Ziner, she's the gift that keeps on giving. Listen to her butcher the language in this clip, where she comes out against the only thing we did right in Iraq, the surge.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:22 pm

He's a REpublican now?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Tue May 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Thought the Democrat party was the big tent party....
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed May 19, 2010 8:17 am

Good!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

This asshole needed to die like John Murtha but I'll take his political banishment for the time being.

He was NEVER a Republican and he was NEVER the friend to Veterans that he portrayed himself to be and every time I heard his stupid fucking voice I wanted to pound his face

The guy is an absolute moron and testament to the ignorance of the American voter

Term Limits and/or forced retirement @ 65

The blood supply to these leeches needs to be cut off and they need to be thrown out on a regular basis or start dying more often while in office

They're all fucking pigs and if Legionaires Disease hit the Capitol cafeteria this afternoon I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby jb » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

Ziner wrote:Thought the Democrat party was the big tent party....

All smak aside Z, this is gonna be a facsinating next seberal years.

The Dems will take a BEATING this November and lose the house, possibly the Senate. Then both agendas grind to a halt. Obama will veto any repeal efforts and there will be absolute gridlock.

Election-wise, I will be curious to see if the Dem base can get emotional and rally again ths November, but I doubt it. But the REAL big tent issue will be with the GOP , where the establishment has to deal with the nasty schism that is coming. Specter isn't the real story. The real story is Rand Paul's easy win.

I can easily see a GOP congress until 2016 becasue they won't have the executive office to engage in their relly destructive patterns of governing and small government populism will trump state-wide elections, but Obama winning again in 2012 via a nasty populist Tea Bag vs Neo-Con / DC Lifer spilt, possibly even a 3rd party again, and because despite the venom and the approval rating, his personal likeability is still at about 70% and his voters tend to sleep thru all but the POTUS elections.

Government-wise, the next near decade is going to again be a big F'n waste when it comes to solving this nations problems rapidly rotting out the foundations. And that's a GD shame. We may as well just start flying the Chinese flag.

Poltics-wise, this is gonna be one hell of a spectator sport for the same period!

What's your crystal ball look like?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 am

Don't have time for a full response, but maybe gridlock is better than "change". The best times this country has had in decades was when there was a Democrat president and a GOP controlled congress. The GOP was financial destructive when they had all the power and the Dems are one upping them. Gridlock equals fewer massive programs (ie. spending money). Lets face it for all the chatter about spending and deficits and there only being 3 places to really cut, blah, blah blah. If we dont do something big to cut that out we will be Greece shortly. Maybe gridlock is what we need.

Rand Paul is fascinating, I agree. For all the joking at the tea parties expense, they just demolished a true red GOP'er. Even at the demise or weakening of the GOP, another party (or faction of a party) is a good thing IMO. Something needs to break the decades of the political gridlock in DC. Everyone, hate them or not, should at least step back and appreciate the fact they have a chance to have a legit senator.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Return to No Holds Barred