Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Great Eats in Chardon

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Great Eats in Chardon

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:02 am

Don't know how many of you get to Chardon that often , but for as small as this town is they have some excellent restaurants, such as:

Fine Italian- Sabastian's-On-The-Square...this is my favorite of all the places to go in the "Snow Capital"...small, romantic, great homemade food & excellent service every time...take your significant other and get a table by the window overlooking the square

Authentic Mexican- El Patron...ahhh, fresh ingredients, cold Mexican beer and everyone speaks Spanish so it has to be good...this place is always busy...try the roasted pork burritos & enchiladas, pure Heaven

Consistent Chinese- Yangtze's...take out or eat in, this place never disappoints...I swear they make the best duck and hot mustard I've ever tasted

Huge Omelets- New York Deli...my favorite for breakfast and you never leave hungry

Sport's Bar Hangouts- Hilltopper & Maxx Doogan's...great places to hang out and watch the games

Biker Bar Hangout- Hambden Country Inn...great place to eat cheap and get shit-faced

Steak House- Bass Lake Inn...perfect steaks, chops & wild game

We live in Concord, but usually find ourselves heading a couple miles south to eat at one of NEO's best kept secrets
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Great Eats in Chardon

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 pm

So much for skipping lunch today. ;-) ;) :wink:

Never ate out in Chardon. Lived in Mentor for 10 years too. And played a lot of golf in Chardon over the years.

That's one of the only things I dislike about Twinsburg. We have a couple great restaurants in Blue Canyon and Bongiorno's. Beef O Bradys and Rocknes are great to take the kids to ... play games, drink beer, watch sports, eat fried food.

But no little mom and pop shops. I'd kill for one of those little authentic Mexican places where no one speaks english and the salsa is homemade.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Swerb wrote: I'd kill for one of those little authentic Mexican places where no one speaks english and the salsa is homemade.

Is there a Home Depot? You could probably find that in the parking lot near the lumber yard.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 pm

JB wrote:
Swerb wrote: I'd kill for one of those little authentic Mexican places where no one speaks english and the salsa is homemade.

Is there a Home Depot? You could probably find that in the parking lot near the lumber yard.

In Chardon it's usually trappers & tappers selling their hare & syrup
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:41 pm

waborat wrote:
JB wrote:

Mmmmm..... rabbit.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
waborat wrote:
JB wrote:

Mmmmm..... rabbit.

waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:53 pm

waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
waborat wrote:
JB wrote:

Mmmmm..... rabbit.

Mmmmm... rabbit and pancakes with Maple Festival syrup.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Swerb wrote:But no little mom and pop shops. I'd kill for one of those little authentic Mexican places where no one speaks english and the salsa is homemade.

Swerb,

You ever go to Marcelita's in Hudson?
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:15 pm

fundamentals wrote:
Swerb wrote:But no little mom and pop shops. I'd kill for one of those little authentic Mexican places where no one speaks english and the salsa is homemade.

Swerb,

You ever go to Marcelita's in Hudson?

Ya know .... last time we were there, my wifes food was bad, and so was the service. Fluke thing. Been there prolly 5 times and really like it. But hell if I can get her back there after that.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 pm

I live a few houses next to Chardon Square and here is what i think about those places....

Sebastians- very good. My sister worked there and brought home food. For a mom and pops place, its not bad at all.

Hambden Inn- Go at your own risk. Wouldnt doubt it if hell's angels meet up there, not a nice hangout. But when i have ordered takeout from there they have the absolute best burger ive ever had in my life. Its enormous, juicy, and paradise (thats what she said)

Chinese- Yantzee is a joke. Horrible food. Down the street is a place called The China House and they have Pepper Steak and Onions with pork fried rice to die for. Also, the best crab ragoon ive ever had.

Bass Lake-pricey, but very nice place to take your significant other.

Mexican-never been to that place. Ever since i tried Chipotle, i havent eaten any mexican from anywhere else. Not even taco bell. no joke

New York Deli- Great patty melts and ruebens. The breakfast isnt bad either.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Mexican-never been to that place. Ever since i tried Chipotle, i havent eaten any mexican from anywhere else. Not even taco bell. no joke

since when does Taco Bell constitute mexican food?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:31 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:I live a few houses next to Chardon Square and here is what i think about those places....

Sebastians- very good. My sister worked there and brought home food. For a mom and pops place, its not bad at all.

Chinese- Yantzee is a joke. Horrible food. Down the street is a place called The China House and they have Pepper Steak and Onions with pork fried rice to die for. Also, the best crab ragoon ive ever had.

You make it sound like mom & pop's are usually bad? Hmmm, I'll take them any day of the week over a chain

Been meaning to try China House and will have to soon ...surprised to hear you say that Y's food is horrible? Been going there for over 20 years and can't remember ever having a bad meal?

Sorry, I do enjoy Chipotle's "Nerf sized" food (except that 3/4's of it is filled with rice & corn), but you can't call that authentic Mexican chow either..."dee foood needs to have me sweat in it, senor"

Any other good stuff around that area that you recommend?
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:24 am

waborat wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:I live a few houses next to Chardon Square and here is what i think about those places....

You make it sound like mom & pop's are usually bad? Hmmm, I'll take them any day of the week over a chain

Been meaning to try China House and will have to soon ...surprised to hear you say that Y's food is horrible? Been going there for over 20 years and can't remember ever having a bad meal?

Sorry, I do enjoy Chipotle's "Nerf sized" food (except that 3/4's of it is filled with rice & corn), but you can't call that authentic Mexican chow either..."dee foood needs to have me sweat in it, senor"

Any other good stuff around that area that you recommend?

If you're gonna hit Chardon, drive the extra 20 minutes and eat at Ferrante's Wabs. Yes it's a winery, but the food is outstanding and reasonably priced.

The veal scallopini w/fresh spinach leaves, proscuitto and cannelini beans served with garlic mashed potatoes is $19. That's with bread and dipping oil and salad. Great ambience (like a ski chalet, fireplace, balcony with music, etc).

Make the trip. Your wife will love it and so will you.

And El Patron is great. Gets crowded on the weekends but the food is excellent.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am

Peeker643 wrote:
If you're gonna hit Chardon, drive the extra 20 minutes and eat at Ferrante's Wabs. Yes it's a winery, but the food is outstanding and reasonably priced.

The veal scallopini w/fresh spinach leaves, proscuitto and cannelini beans served with garlic mashed potatoes is $19. That's with bread and dipping oil and salad. Great ambience (like a ski chalet, fireplace, balcony with music, etc).

Been there many times Peek...excellent food & drink...the funny thing is I always remember walking in the door, but never exiting?
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 am

waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Been there many times Peek...excellent food & drink...the funny thing is I always remember walking in the door, but never exiting?

Ugghhh.... I've had a couple interesting evenings there myself. One involved me cleaning out the passenger side map holder in the Explorer the next morning. Wasn't quite quick enough to get the door fully open and the head out of the car.

I'm not much into wine and that certainly didn't help.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Ugghhh.... I've had a couple interesting evenings there myself. One involved me cleaning out the passenger side map holder in the Explorer the next morning. Wasn't quite quick enough to get the door fully open and the head out of the car.

We try and rent a bus every year with about 20 friends and hit the wineries out there...our over/under on chunking is usually 7
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am

waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

We try and rent a bus every year with about 20 friends and hit the wineries out there...our over/under on chunking is usually 7
\

You guys do that last year? We were at Grand River Winery on 528 in July or August last year for a surprise 40th when a bus-load emptied out. I'm sure it's a common thing but just wondering....

Edit to add: Grand River is nice in that they actually have Dortmunder Gold on tap. No chunking for me that evening. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am

Peeker643 wrote:
waborat wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

\

You guys do that last year? We were at Grand River Winery on 528 in July or August last year for a surprise 40th when a bus-load emptied out. I'm sure it's a common thing but just wondering....

Edit to add: Grand River is nice in that they actually have Dortmunder Gold on tap. No chunking for me that evening. :thumb up:

Yeah we did and we were at Grand River, but it was in September

DeBonne's is another fun spot and they now have their own brewery there
waborat

Unread postby General » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 pm

JB wrote:

Is that lumber yard owned by Ty Webb?

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm

General wrote:
JB wrote:

Yeah, but he doesn't know where it's at? Image
waborat

Unread postby General » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 pm

waborat wrote:
General wrote:
JB wrote:

Yeah, but he doesn't know where it's at? Image

But it's full of golf balls that Noonan hit in there.

Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Great review of Sabastian's in today's News-Herald...

They give the food 4 stars, service & atmosphere 3.5 stars...

Nice to see them get some good lovin'
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Chinese- Yantzee is a joke. Horrible food. Down the street is a place called The China House and they have Pepper Steak and Onions with pork fried rice to die for. Also, the best crab ragoon ive ever had.

Finally made it to China House, Kyle...

You didn't tell me that it was like walking into an oriental Mr Hero?!?!!?!? :lmfao:

Won Ton soup was pretty bland...Imperial chicken & egg foo yung was excellent...eggs rolls top notch...crab ragoon was friggin incredible and tasted like they used more china white than Chipotle :thumb up:
waborat

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 am

Waborat,

I spend most of my summer Saturdays eating in Chardon:

6:30am - 1 or 2 Egg,Sausage & Cheese sandwiches at St. Denis Golf Course
9:20ish - a Beer Brat at St Denis Golf Course - some delicious tender, sprinkle on some onions and Stadium Mustard
12ish - Cup of Gumbo soup, and then any of the following: Wings, Tater skins, Wolverine sandwich at Yopp's Timeout
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Chardon doesnt have much, but the few places that they do have are pretty tasty. I just moved out of Chardon a couple of months ago, but apparently there is an amazing pizza place on the square. I'll probably give it a try in the near future when visiting my family.
4thQtrGlory

Unread postby waborat » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Lubber wrote:Waborat,

9:20ish - a Beer Brat at St Denis Golf Course - some delicious tender, sprinkle on some onions and Stadium Mustard
12ish - Cup of Gumbo soup, and then any of the following: Wings, Tater skins, Wolverine sandwich at Yopp's Timeout

Good ol' Yopp's...have to meet ya up there sometime after the links
waborat

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 pm

waborat wrote:

Love Yopps. They have exceptionally good wings, and pretty fairly priced on Monday wing night. St Denis is a fun course too, pretty sure there is no sand last time i golfed there. Also, use to work at Legend Lake Golf Course down the street with Greg. Fun times during our youthful days.
4thQtrGlory

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:38 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
waborat wrote:

Love Yopps. They have exceptionally good wings, and pretty fairly priced on Monday wing night. St Denis is a fun course too, pretty sure there is no sand last time i golfed there. Also, use to work at Legend Lake Golf Course down the street with Greg. Fun times during our youthful days.

Waborat.. starting in May, we are up there pretty much every Saturday from 11:30-1/2ish. They usually open at 12, but the one waitress comes in early since we have been going there for the last 5 years or so.

4th, A few traps... #1 right side of cart path about 220 from tee, #9 left and right side of green, and also right side of fairway about 200 from tee, #11 behind the green
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 pm

The ole woman and I ate at the Mexican Joint there in Chardon today. The Mexican draft beer was most excellent. I asked the server what kind it was, but his english was weak, and my deciphering his version was weaker. I noticed that there was three domestic taps, and one tap with two XXs on it at the bar. I concluded that I was served Dos Equis. If it is that good in the bottle, I just found a new brand for the rotation.

The food was woody, and the service was woody also. The cheese cake burrito with ice cream, was major wood. We will be back, and with the kids in tow next time.

I have only been to one other Mexican joint, and that was one in Hudson, off 91. It was probably 10 years ago, but I didn't care much for it. With that said, I am not close to being a good judge of Mexican food quality. It was hot, it was fast, the plate was loaded, and there was no sticker shock at all.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby waborat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:01 am

WarAdmiral wrote:The ole woman and I ate at the Mexican Joint there in Chardon today. The Mexican draft beer was most excellent. I asked the server what kind it was, but his english was weak, and my deciphering his version was weaker. I noticed that there was three domestic taps, and one tap with two XXs on it at the bar. I concluded that I was served Dos Equis. If it is that good in the bottle, I just found a new brand for the rotation.

The food was woody, and the service was woody also. The cheese cake burrito with ice cream, was major wood. We will be back, and with the kids in tow next time.

I have only been to one other Mexican joint, and that was one in Hudson, off 91. It was probably 10 years ago, but I didn't care much for it. With that said, I am not close to being a good judge of Mexican food quality. It was hot, it was fast, the plate was loaded, and there was no sticker shock at all.

Yep, El Patron is one of the best Gringo places here in NEO...

Authentic tastes all around and like you said WA, the prices are reasonable...

Love the Dos Equis lager, not the amber so much...

Next time, try a Pacifico or Modelo in the bottle...magnifico
waborat

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry