Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Does Carl Willis need canned?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:54 pm

since every pitcher on the staff is suddenly starting to pull a Dontrelle, it should be on the pitching coaches head right? if anything just to fire them up. the starters look flat out there, at least some emotion when you're getting lit up. shows you still care
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
User avatar
jordan kramer
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: "the brooklyn of youngstown"
Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Chris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 pm

to be brutally honest I think both him and Shelton need canned, to send a message at least.
Chris
 

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby OSU819903 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 pm

The guy has produced back to back Cy Young winners. His pitchers are certainly sucking, but so is defense, base running and timely hitting (I am sure I left out some). I don't think the coach with the most recent success is the first one to go.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
User avatar
OSU819903
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Elyria, OH
Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Chris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:58 pm

OSU819903 wrote:The guy has produced back to back Cy Young winners. His pitchers are certainly sucking, but so is defense, base running and timely hitting (I am sure I left out some). I don't think the coach with the most recent success is the first one to go.


True, and what does he really have to work with? I knew Cliff would be average to good this year, but I didnt think he'd be like CC in April last year.
Chris
 

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Chris wrote:to be brutally honest I think both him and Shelton need canned, to send a message at least.


I love this place. 4 games into the season, we're ready to fire the pitching coach AND the hitting coach, to "send a message." What message would that be, exactly? We're insanely impulsive and love flying half-cocked off the handle for no apparent reason? Do you really think that the missing link for this team right now is shitcanning the coaching staff? :bunny:
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Chris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Gotribe31 wrote:
Chris wrote:to be brutally honest I think both him and Shelton need canned, to send a message at least.


I love this place. 4 games into the season, we're ready to fire the pitching coach AND the hitting coach, to "send a message." What message would that be, exactly? We're insanely impulsive and love flying half-cocked off the handle for no apparent reason? Do you really think that the missing link for this team right now is shitcanning the coaching staff? :bunny:


Well I mean more if this CONTINUES. obviously after 4 games (5 after the butt whooping today) is too soon. But the same thing happened last year GoTribe31. Eventually, you have to make changes.
Chris
 

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby bac5665 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:04 pm

I think most of us realize that its only 4 games (the way we're playing, soon to be 5...) but its the manor in which we're loosing. It's one thing to loose because of a few close plays. It's another to be consistently destroyed over and over again, with most of the team playing badly.

Each of these games has highlighted several major weaknesses in out playing. We really do look like a little league team out there. Its worth trying to figure out what to do.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby waborat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Gotribe31 wrote:
Chris wrote:to be brutally honest I think both him and Shelton need canned, to send a message at least.


I love this place. 4 games into the season, we're ready to fire the pitching coach AND the hitting coach, to "send a message." What message would that be, exactly? We're insanely impulsive and love flying half-cocked off the handle for no apparent reason? Do you really think that the missing link for this team right now is shitcanning the coaching staff? :bunny:


Oh come on, GT31, firing coaches one week in, after they've put in the time and laid the groundwork for the past 6 months is always a guarateed 10 game winning streak
:lmfao:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:20 pm

i certainly wouldn't fire him yet. i was just posing the question
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
User avatar
jordan kramer
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: "the brooklyn of youngstown"
Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby CP » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Unless Carl Willis advocated trading Sabathia, whacked Westbrook in his right elbow last year, insisted that the Tribe sign Pavano and Lewis to fill the rotation and showed Lee his 2007 game film instead of 2008, I don't see how any of this is his fault.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Bigfist » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Well, expectations for the Indians were high in 2006-2009. In 2006 and 2008, we performed well below those expectations, mainly due to an awful bullpen. If we end up tanking this year as well (and I am not saying we will..just for the sake of argument), some heads will have to roll..people much higher on the totem pole than Luis Isaac.
User avatar
Bigfist
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 am
Location: Kinston, NC
Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby CP » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Bigfist wrote:Well, expectations for the Indians were high in 2006-2009. In 2006 and 2008, we performed well below those expectations, mainly due to an awful bullpen. If we end up tanking this year as well (and I am not saying we will..just for the sake of argument), some heads will have to roll..people much higher on the totem pole than Luis Isaac.


Kill the head, the body's dead.

Sincerely,
Gerard Warren
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Not suggesting Willis gets canned this week but if a move needs to be made, at least having Scott Radinsky in the system will help.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust
 
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:01 am

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby volunteerbrownie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Forget Willis and Shelton...the whole staff, including most of all Wedge, deserves to be canned. I don't care if it's 5 games in a season. Bottom line, this team has consistently gotten off to a cold start in April under Wedge. You go against a power arm, number one starter in Holliday, and what does Wedge do? He leaves our left-handed power bat out of the line-up, saying Hafner needs to be rested every now and then in the beginning of the year. People, we had played only four games thus far, and also had an off day. Hafner gets into a groove the last two games for the first time in a year, and Wedge sits him. Unbelievable!


It is painfully obvious that Wedge did not have this team ready to play coming out of the gate. It's a pattern. He didn't know how to get a team ready, especially in Arizona, where it's 14-12 slugfests every day. There's an art to prepare a team for the regular season in Arizona, and Wedge didn't have a clue. He didn't prepare this team any differently given the new spring training location and its differences, and we are paying right now.
User avatar
volunteerbrownie
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:36 am

No way that Willis gets canned before Shelton.

And Shelton needs to be canned.
User avatar
Commodore Perry
Old School American
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:02 am

this thread is 3 years late
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9199
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby OSU819903 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:51 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:this thread is 3 years late




So they should have fired him before the 1st Cy Young?
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
User avatar
OSU819903
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Elyria, OH
Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:07 am

OSU819903 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:this thread is 3 years late




So they should have fired him before the 1st Cy Young?

I knew someone would spout that garbage
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9199
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Bigfist » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:08 am

All this talk of firing Willis is a waste of time, in my opinion. I am neutral towards him...if he gets the credit for CC and Lee's Cy Young awards, then he must shoulder some of the blame for the BP failures in 2006 and 2008. On the other hand, if he is being blamed for those bullpens, then he must get some credit for CC's and Lee's Cy Young awards. But he is not going to be fired....he is Wedge's hand picked man. Besides..it is way too early to fire anyone just yet.

We can overcome an 0-5 start..what concerns me more is that we are going into KC..a place we never play well, even with good teams, and then into NYC (another place we tend not to play well) for the opening of their park. Who knows...it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that we open the season 3-10.
User avatar
Bigfist
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 am
Location: Kinston, NC
Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby OSU819903 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:47 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:this thread is 3 years late




So they should have fired him before the 1st Cy Young?

I knew someone would spout that garbage



Well you wanna be a big man and take out my garbage by actually explaining how Carl Frickin Willis is the problem with this team for...yea three years now? Come one tell me.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
User avatar
OSU819903
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Elyria, OH
Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:46 pm

jordan kramer wrote:since every pitcher on the staff is suddenly starting to pull a Dontrelle, it should be on the pitching coaches head right? if anything just to fire them up. the starters look flat out there, at least some emotion when you're getting lit up. shows you still care

YEAH! Screw the 2 Cy Young award winners he's produced!

We need to send a message because these first 5 games are just that damn important!

I hear ya. I'm right there with ya brotha!

Losing 5 games in a row isn't acceptable. Whenever it happens people need to be fired. SEND A MESSAGE TO THESE LOSERS!
User avatar
statmasta
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:No way that Willis gets canned before Shelton.

And Shelton needs to be canned.


How about the amount of strikeouts the Indians are averaging per game. It's ridiculous. It's like 9.2 per game!
Tribegrl85
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm
Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Tribegrl85 wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:No way that Willis gets canned before Shelton.

And Shelton needs to be canned.


How about the amount of strikeouts the Indians are averaging per game. It's ridiculous. It's like 9.2 per game!


Well, I'm not going to make an arguement that the 9+ strikeouts per game are a good thing, but they have also averaged 5.5 runs per game (which equates to 891 over a 162 game season).

That would've been good enough for 2nd in all of MLB in 2008.... now you could make a case that they wouldn't be able to keep up that average with that number of Ks over the course of a season, but the offense is hardly the problem right now.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby ZenToasty1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 pm

I can't put the blame on Willis' head. I think you're looking at an unprepared team due to the new spring training location. I don't know that the current coaching staff was prepared for the change, whether that be their or the scouts or the front office's fault I can't say. But I do have to admit the typical lack of preparedness to play fundamentally sound baseball is, again, disappointing.

On to the real answer to the question: Willis should only be fired if Wedge is fired and the new coach replaces him. Unless it was Willis' vote that allowed M. Kobayashi to have a slot on this pitching staff. Then attach him to the next 16-inch fire-mission from a battleship (we'll worry about the pieces later...).
ZenToasty1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:51 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Tribegrl85 wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:No way that Willis gets canned before Shelton.

And Shelton needs to be canned.


How about the amount of strikeouts the Indians are averaging per game. It's ridiculous. It's like 9.2 per game!


Well, I'm not going to make an arguement that the 9+ strikeouts per game are a good thing, but they have also averaged 5.5 runs per game (which equates to 891 over a 162 game season).

That would've been good enough for 2nd in all of MLB in 2008.... now you could make a case that they wouldn't be able to keep up that average with that number of Ks over the course of a season, but the offense is hardly the problem right now.


the offense may not be the problem but it as hell is a problem. if this team isn't the worst situational hitting team in baseball i don't know who is. if i see 2nd and 3rd with nobody out turn in zero runs anytime again soon i'm gonna freak the hell out.
User avatar
metalhead9x9
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm
Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Re: Does Carl Willis need canned?

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 pm

I wonder how long it will be until some changes are made? This schedule is rough in April and May. We could be in a serious hole very soon.
Tribegrl85
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm
Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests