Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Does Columbus Make the Playoffs?

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Does Columbus Make the Playoffs?

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:37 am

5 games left in the season, holding onto the 6th spot in the Western Conference. 3 Points separate them from the 8th seed.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=CON&navid=NAV|STN|Conf

Final 5 Games, 3 on the road, 2 at home
Sat, Apr 4 at Nashville 8:00 pm
Sun, Apr 5 Chicago 5:00 pm
Wed, Apr 8 at Chicago 8:30 pm
Fri, Apr 10 at St. Louis 8:30 pm
Sat, Apr 11 Minnesota 7:00 pm

Do the Jackets make their first ever playoff appearance?

I say they eek into the playoffs but not without some drama along the way. If they drop back to back to Chicago and the St. Louis game should be a hell of a battle.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Does Columbus Make the Playoffs?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Yes. If they win the game in hand tonight, and the fact that it's against Nashville, gives them a 6 point cushion on the #9 team, with 3 to play for the Preds. I believe that Columbus actually clinches tonight with a win. They'd be 6 points ahead. The first tiebreaker is wins. Columbus, with a win, would have 41. Nashville has 38. With three left, Nashville can only tie. The second tiebreaker is points accumulated in games played against tied teams. Columbus would be 4-2 against Nashville with a win tonight.

Either way, with a win tonight, one more point in any of the remaining games clinches a playoff spot. I'd say 3 of 5 wins clinches them 6th.

They're pretty much in unless they go 0-5.

According to the Dispatch Puck Rakers blog, the Jackets can't clinch tonight. But, with a win, the Wild are the only team that can keep them out.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:00 pm

hey ST,

If the Jackets make the playoffs will their games be on FSN Ohio? (or FSN Blue Jackets for those of you who have digital cable)......or will we need the Versus Channel to watch them?
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 pm

idoctribefan wrote:hey ST,

If the Jackets make the playoffs will their games be on FSN Ohio? (or FSN Blue Jackets for those of you who have digital cable)......or will we need the Versus Channel to watch them?

Depends on the scheduling in regards to Vs. The Vancouver games would start at 10. If they play the same night as San Jose, then Vs. probably shows that one.

I would think FSN will run them. But, on Cavs game nights, you'll need FSNBJ.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Spin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:32 pm

The first NHL team from Ohio to win more games than they lose...

Might start watching these guys
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Any point picked up tonight by the Jackets clinches. If not, Nashville plays Detroit tomorrow and must win.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Any point picked up tonight by the Jackets clinches. If not, Nashville plays Detroit tomorrow and must win.

Nice, exciting stuff. Watching them choke up that 3-1 lead in Nashville saturday night was enough to make me skip the Chicago game on sunday. I hope they can win the final 3 games so they head into the playoffs on a roll.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 pm

jackets in baby......a round 1 win will be more then a success in their first ever appearance

i think they can do it
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:11 pm

The Jackets will drop to 7th and play Detroit if St. Louis wins tomorrow night over the lowly Colorado Avalanche. They really dicked themselves by not picking up a point in these last two games. The Blues hold the season series tiebreaker, so they would get the 6 seed.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to The Neutral Zone