Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

J'Nathan to the NFL

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

J'Nathan to the NFL

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 pm

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... t-for-nfl/

Cleveland State basketball player J’Nathan Bullock is going to try out for NFL teams at an April 10 workout, according to Kenny Roda of WKNR in Cleveland.

Bullock, who’s the fourth all-time leading scorer in school history, was an honorable-mention all-state football player growing up in Flint, Mich.

On the Cleveland State web site, Bullock is listed at 6′5″ and 240 pounds.

According to his biography, Bullock played every skill position on offense as a high school senior as well as defensive end and linebacker.

He rushed for 865 yards and five touchdowns in his final year of high school, caught 19 passes for 436 yards, and completed 11 of 17 passes for 312 yards and a touchdown.

Bullock scored 15.4 points per game for the Vikings this season.

And he isn’t the only basketball player with possible gridiron ambitions.

University of Pittsburgh burly basketball player DeJuan Blair regards the NFL as a potential fallback option if he doesn’t make it to the NBA, according to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com.

Blair is definitely big enough at 6′7″, 265 pounds, but resisted requests to play football while growing up in Pittsburgh and has a history of knee problems.

The next Antonio Gates? Anyone have any insight in to this?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: J'Nathan to the NFL

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 pm

Here's the problem with all these kids thinking they can suddenly play football in the NFL...

Gates and Tony Gonzalez were legitimate football players at D-1 schools before they played basketball full-time.

To think you can come on and make a difference without truly understanding the game is not appreciating the talent level that even a 3rd string TE may have.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:11 am

noles1 wrote:Here's the problem with all these kids thinking they can suddenly play football in the NFL...

Gates and Tony Gonzalez were legitimate football players at D-1 schools before they played basketball full-time.

To think you can come on and make a difference without truly understanding the game is not appreciating the talent level that even a 3rd string TE may have.

"Yeah, he's nuts."
- Sam Clancy
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 am

Gates never played D1 football. He originally signed with MSU I believe and then transferred to a juco and then to Kent, where he didn't play football.

J'Nathan was always thought of as a better football prospect than a basketball player. He was recruited by all the big boys in football (MSU, Notre Dame, FSU, Miami, etc) and after the coaching change after his freshman year, he thought about going to one of those types of schools to play football.

It's obviously a long shot but it's not a basketball player trying his hand at football. He's been a football player playing basketball all along.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Ok Gates, didn't necessarily play but that was because Saban pulled shit on him after he signed and wouldn't let him play basketball. He was actually listed as a TE but with MSU was working at both sides of the ball before his departure. (left after the first semester) He went to Eastern to play basketball but got in trouble and then went 2 different JUCO's before he got to Kent.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:19 pm

noles1 wrote:Ok Gates, didn't necessarily play but that was because Saban pulled shit on him after he signed and wouldn't let him play basketball. He was actually listed as a TE but with MSU was working at both sides of the ball before his departure. (left after the first semester) He went to Eastern to play basketball but got in trouble and then went 2 different JUCO's before he got to Kent.

Exactly. Gates never played D1 football. It's not like we're comparing a guy who was on the roster but never played to a guy who was never thought of as a D1 football prospect and is grasping at straws trying to go to the NFL. Gates and Bullock were both highly thought of high school football prospects but both ended up playing only basketball in college.

J'Nathan was a higher recruited football player than basketball player, he just wanted to be a college basketball player and he worked hard to turn himself into a pretty good one. Now he realizes he's a 6'5" power forward and he figures he can give football a shot before falling back on his mechanical engineering degree.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 pm

If Melvin Leavitt would of made this decision in the 90's he would of been an All-Pro WR many times over versus trying to playing hoops somewhere overseas.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby tommieskoski » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 am

tommieskoski

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm with Noles. For example, if Josh Cribbs is a guy (and current NFL player) who will never ever be able to play safety for a myriad of reasons (I just will not let this go), explain to me how can a guy who has not played football since high school can make the transition to the NFL. I think those same reasons apply. Sam Clancy aside, of course.

More power to him.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm

BDFD wrote:I'm with Noles. For example, if Josh Cribbs is a guy (and current NFL player) who will never ever be able to play safety for a myriad of reasons (I just will not let this go), explain to me how can a guy who has not played football since high school can make the transition to the NFL. I think those same reasons apply. Sam Clancy aside, of course.

More power to him.

ever hear of a guy named Antonio Gates? if not, check Honolulu every year around early February
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:28 pm

jordan kramer wrote:ever hear of a guy named Antonio Gates? if not, check Honolulu every year around early February

Dang, I'm going to have to wait ten_whole_months to find out exactly who this guy is. And on top of that I have to go to the middle of the Pacific Ocena to find him.

I'm just saying, why does one guy get written off as someone who cannot play a certain position in a sport he already plays but another guy gets consideration to play a sport at the professional level after not playing said sport for x years back when he was in high school. That is all.

Anyway, back to the Somali terrorist discussion...
BDFD

Unread postby tommieskoski » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 am

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/csu/ind ... l_pla.html

J'Nathan Bullock had his NFL workout yesterday.

Bullock said he is scheduled to have a private workout with the Browns next week. A source said the Bears and Rams also want another look.

Height: 6-3.6
40-yard: 4.8
tommieskoski

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:25 pm

BDFD wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:ever hear of a guy named Antonio Gates? if not, check Honolulu every year around early February

Dang, I'm going to have to wait ten_whole_months to find out exactly who this guy is. And on top of that I have to go to the middle of the Pacific Ocena to find him.

I'm just saying, why does one guy get written off as someone who cannot play a certain position in a sport he already plays but another guy gets consideration to play a sport at the professional level after not playing said sport for x years back when he was in high school. That is all.

You notice the mechanical engineering degree Bullock will be earning? That tells me he's not dumb as a stump and might actually be capable of learning an offensive system and doing what's required at the position.

Cribbs? Return left, return middle, return right.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
BDFD wrote:

You notice the mechanical engineering degree Bullock will be earning? That tells me he's not dumb as a stump and might actually be capable of learning an offensive system and doing what's required at the position.

why do you hate Cribbs so much, Peek? :dead:
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

jordan kramer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:22 pm

jordan kramer wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
BDFD wrote:

why do you hate Cribbs so much, Peek? :dead:

I don't hate Cribbs at all JK. He's a gifted return man and a terrific special teams player who provides a huge lift in that respect. But that doesn't make him anything else.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby BDFD » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:16 pm

Right. And this guy was earning his masters in electrical engineering and so far has sat on four different teams' practice squads: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/oshinowo_babatunde01.html
BDFD

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 pm

BDFD wrote:Right. And this guy was earning his masters in electrical engineering and so far has sat on four different teams' practice squads: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/oshinowo_babatunde01.html

He couldn't play safety either, if that's the point.

Difference is he can actually spell it.

I really can't figure out how guys who are such sports fans and so ri-goddamn-diculously smart can be so obtuse as to why Cribbs hasn't been able to get on the field anywhere other than as a return guy.

Like I said before, just blame it on the multitude of coaches he's had. They must be really, really DUMB, to not think of this stuff and make it work.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:47 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
BDFD wrote:Right. And this guy was earning his masters in electrical engineering and so far has sat on four different teams' practice squads: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/oshinowo_babatunde01.html

I really can't figure out how guys who are such sports fans and so ri-goddamn-diculously smart can be so obtuse as to why Cribbs hasn't been able to get on the field anywhere other than as a return guy.

Like I said before, just blame it on the multitude of coaches he's had. They must be really, really DUMB, to not think of this stuff and make it work.

Crennel showed how smart he was the numerous times he tried and failed to manage the clock during a 2 minute drill

jordan kramer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:02 pm

jordan kramer wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Crennel showed how smart he was the numerous times he tried and failed to manage the clock during a 2 minute drill

Then blame it on Crennel if that makes it easier. Couldn't be Cribbs is incapable of playing that position though.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Then blame it on Crennel if that makes it easier. Couldn't be Cribbs is incapable of playing that position though.

haha i'm really just arguing just to argue. i understand may not be able to play those positions, but you continue to backhandedly call him stupid any and every chance you get. he's the best, most athletic player on the team, and we were a complete and utter joke last year. i wouldn't have hurt at all if they threw him out at safety or corner and just told him to don't worry about schemes and go play. who knows, he may not be all-pro, but he's gotta be better then McDonald, who's still recovering from his 3rd degree burns. you don't have to be that smart to be a running back, you take the ball, find a hole, and run fast. thats all

jordan kramer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I don't know if he has either the size or the speed to avoid/absorb punishment as a RB. And you also have to be able to recognize and pick up a blitz or millions of dollars is laying on the turf.

That's the issue with Cribbs though. I'm just backhandedly saying what everyone has backhandedly said in the organization.

And you have to be relatively bright to play DB and have the techniques down. That's asking a lot of any athlete. Especially one who's 26 and never done it before.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Peeker643 wrote:I don't know if he has either the size or the speed to avoid/absorb punishment as a RB. And you also have to be able to recognize and pick up a blitz or millions of dollars is laying on the turf.

That's the issue with Cribbs though. I'm just backhandedly saying what everyone has backhandedly said in the organization.

And you have to be relatively bright to play DB and have the techniques down. That's asking a lot of any athlete. Especially one who's 26 and never done it before.

there are countless running backs around the NFL that aren't even on the field in blitz pickup situations. he's about 210-220 and that's definitely big enough, and you don't become and all-pro kick returner if you don' have speed. he's at least twice as fast a Jamal!

we do know he at least can tackle, if you work on him in the off season, you can at least put him at corner in man to man situations. just tell 'em to stay on his man and see if he can do it

jordan kramer

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm

well Cribbs can use his experience as a wide receiver to help him play corner back as he knows tendencies and.......

wait, what?

He rarely saw the field as a WR? You mean he wasn't ahead of Steptoe on the depth chart?

Ignore my first sentence.

Seriously, you put Cribbs in a man to man situation is he going to be able to cover his man? Can he read the receiver and not fall for any fakes. Yes, he's a good special teams tackler but that's mostly 22 guys running straight at one another. If Cribbs man gets behind him does he have the speed to make up that ground? Is he fast enough to back pedal and stay with his man? Does he have the instincts to not fall for a pump fake or the instincts to jump a route? Athleticism will only help you so much. He needs to practice technique and it'll take more than one offseason and training camp to excel at those techniques.

I understand the arguement of getting your best athletes on the field but let's face it. Cribbs has had multiple years to become a 3rd WR on this team and obviously the coaching staff sees something in him that knocks him down the depth charts year after year.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL