Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Satan wears a parka

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Satan wears a parka

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:00 pm

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Satan wears a parka

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Snow caught a lot of shit, but we didn't give him the contract, he was damn sure better than Kevin Ollie, and he always gave his best.

What series was it that he came in a year or two ago and immediately made a few steals after not playing at all? That was a great moment.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:11 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Snow caught a lot of shit, but we didn't give him the contract, he was damn sure better than Kevin Ollie, and he always gave his best.

What series was it that he came in a year or two ago and immediately made a few steals after not playing at all? That was a great moment.

I always liked the SNOWman. I remember the time when he was taking our first shot of every game for a period

made em more often than not as well
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Good guy, good teammate, below average player while in Cleveland. It happens when you get old and have limited shooting ability to begin with.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 pm

He was my all-time favorite player to coach.

Respectfully Yours,

Paul Silas
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:38 pm

when the cavs first signed eric "yellow" snow, i applauded the move simply as a "depth" signing as he gave the cavs a decent back-up point guard, but as a starter, not so much. given starters minutes, snow was exposed way too much, both offensively and defensively. while he certainly held his own defensively against bigger guards, he was an outright liability against the younger, smaller, quicker point guards and on offense, he was a complete black hole, especially on those weakside dump-offs by lebron that often ended with a brick by snow and a fast break going the other direction. i for one haven't missed him at all and simply wish him well as a tv analyst. maybe someday he might become a coach??? best of luck e-snow. we hardly loved you.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:22 pm

davemanddd wrote:when the cavs first signed eric "yellow" snow, i applauded the move simply as a "depth" signing as he gave the cavs a decent back-up point guard, but as a starter, not so much. given starters minutes, snow was exposed way too much, both offensively and defensively. while he certainly held his own defensively against bigger guards, he was an outright liability against the younger, smaller, quicker point guards and on offense, he was a complete black hole, especially on those weakside dump-offs by lebron that often ended with a brick by snow and a fast break going the other direction. i for one haven't missed him at all and simply wish him well as a tv analyst. maybe someday he might become a coach??? best of luck e-snow. we hardly loved you.

Snow was acquired for Kevin Ollie (with Kedrick Perkins thrown in). And he was a damn sight better than either Ollie or Jeff McGinnis.

And to say Snow was a liability defensively is ignorance.

No one misses Snow obviously, but at the time he was a big upgrade for the team acquired for essentially nothing.
aoxo1

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Snow caught a lot of shit, but we didn't give him the contract, he was damn sure better than Kevin Ollie, and he always gave his best.

Vs. the Nets in the second round two seasons ago? I may be crossing memories with him coming in and bulldogging Vinsanity into a turnover on a possession that could have provided a game-tying/winning bucket for Jersey, but either way, it's a good Snow memory.

Either way, E. Snow was a definitive class act, and has to be on the fast track to coaching in the NBA; it's pretty much what he was doing in Cleveland last season. Incidentally, if all our prayers are answered and the Cavs win it all this season, would Snow get a ring? I'm inclined to think he would, but don't know the technicalities. He obviously won't be on the playoff roster, but he's still been a Cavalier all season, even though he's been on the DL the whole time.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:15 am

aoxo1 wrote:
davemanddd wrote:when the cavs first signed eric "yellow" snow, i applauded the move simply as a "depth" signing as he gave the cavs a decent back-up point guard, but as a starter, not so much. given starters minutes, snow was exposed way too much, both offensively and defensively. while he certainly held his own defensively against bigger guards, he was an outright liability against the younger, smaller, quicker point guards and on offense, he was a complete black hole, especially on those weakside dump-offs by lebron that often ended with a brick by snow and a fast break going the other direction. i for one haven't missed him at all and simply wish him well as a tv analyst. maybe someday he might become a coach??? best of luck e-snow. we hardly loved you.

Snow was acquired for Kevin Ollie (with Kedrick Perkins thrown in). And he was a damn sight better than either Ollie or Jeff McGinnis.

No one misses Snow obviously, but at the time he was a big upgrade for the team acquired for essentially nothing.

ignorance??? puh-lease!!!

once again, i am taken out of context.

read the entire point.

i said snow certainly held his own on defense against the bigger guards, which was truly a compliment. i swear he had some of the best calves that i've ever seen on a man (just an observation, not a gay thing) which certainly helped him in defending those bigger guards as well as he did too.

by the same token, he certainly lacked the necessary quickness to guard the younger, smaller, quicker point guards (see tony parker, tj ford, mo williams when he was with milwaukee, tyron lue, et al) which is pure fact and not a swipe at him in the least bit. if anything, to deny that would be ignorant.

why is it that every time a guy retires, gets released or dies all anyone seems to want to do is hyperbolize his good traits while denying his obvious flaws??? you just gotta take the good with the bad.

that doesn't mean i didn't think he was a class act, which i thought snow was. nor did i think he was a bad teammate. he was a team captain for gawrsh sakes, so he was obviously well liked by his fellow players. i also think he would make a good coach someday.

my point was that i just feel he was simply just a solid veteran that would have best been used as a back-up point guard, but where the cavs went wrong was making him a starter.

why bust my chops for stating the same damn thing everybody else complained about when he was still playing??? sorry if the truth hurts, but i'm not looking at him through wine-and-gold colored glasses.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 pm

davemanddd wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

read the entire point.

i said snow certainly held his own on defense against the bigger guards, which was truly a compliment. i swear he had some of the best calves that i've ever seen on a man (just an observation, not a gay thing) which certainly helped him in defending those bigger guards as well as he did too.

by the same token, he certainly lacked the necessary quickness to guard the younger, smaller, quicker point guards (see tony parker, tj ford, mo williams when he was with milwaukee, tyron lue, et al) which is pure fact and not a swipe at him in the least bit. if anything, to deny that would be ignorant.

why is it that every time a guy retires, gets released or dies all anyone seems to want to do is hyperbolize his good traits while denying his obvious flaws??? you just gotta take the good with the bad.

that doesn't mean i didn't think he was a class act, which i thought snow was. nor did i think he was a bad teammate. he was a team captain for gawrsh sakes, so he was obviously well liked by his fellow players. i also think he would make a good coach someday.

my point was that i just feel he was simply just a solid veteran that would have best been used as a back-up point guard, but where the cavs went wrong was making him a starter.

why bust my chops for stating the same damn thing everybody else complained about when he was still playing??? sorry if the truth hurts, but i'm not looking at him through wine-and-gold colored glasses.

I wasn't hyperbolizing him at all or denying his flaws. Or talking about his character, other than he gave his best (I could care less about what these guys do off the court).

I just think you are conflating the last year he was here with the previous several, when he was able to handle pretty much any G.

I probably should have been a little less dickish about it, but whatever.

Main point is that for the first couple seasons he represented a huge upgrade at the position compared to what we had. And that he was acquired for basically nothing.
aoxo1

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
davemanddd wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

read the entire point.

I wasn't hyperbolizing him at all or denying his flaws. Or talking about his character, other than he gave his best (I could care less about what these guys do off the court).

I just think you are conflating the last year he was here with the previous several, when he was able to handle pretty much any G.

I probably should have been a little less dickish about it, but whatever.

Main point is that for the first couple seasons he represented a huge upgrade at the position compared to what we had. And that he was acquired for basically nothing.

sounds good.

yes the signing of e-snow was very good at the time, although i hardly think that $30 million over 5 years should be considered "basically nothing". but i understand your point in that it didn't cost the cavs any players to acquire snow.

yes his first couple of years here were much better than his last year, which is probably most prominent in my memory just because it was my most recent recollection. it's only human to do that.

i still remember what happened to the cavs in lebron's first year when they acquired jeff mcinnis and were on the verge of making the playoffs, only to see mcinnis go down with an injury in the last month of the season. the cavs had no real back-up point guard then so they ended up going on a long losing streak and missed the playoffs by just a single game.

that off-season, former gm jim paxson decided that the cavs # 1 priority was getting a solid veteran back-up point guard and he did just that when he signed snow, albeit overpaying for him, but that's beside the point.

still, had the cavs had a better point guard than e-snow, mcinnis or damon jones to pair with lebron all these years, i would think the cavs would have already won at least one nba title by now. just look at what they're doing this year with mo williams at the helm???

the question now is, can they get it done this year??? we can only hope. go cavs!!!

:TCF:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 pm

One more time: the Cavs didn't sign Snow, they acquired him in a trade with the Sixers for Kevin Ollie, an even worse contract, and Kedrick Brown.
aoxo1

Unread postby oberle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:34 am

aoxo1 wrote:One more time: the Cavs didn't sign Snow, they acquired him in a trade with the Sixers for Kevin Ollie, an even worse contract, and Kedrick Brown.

Which reminds me. Jim Paxson made some absolutely horrible draft picks (near Stepien-esque in their WTF factor,) and he made some really stupid trades; but to trade Kevin Ollie and Kedrick Brown for more than a box of used jock straps was pretty near genius. I know he acquired a ridiculous contract in Snow, but he gave up an equally ridiculous contract (he was the genius who signed Ollie, wasn't he?) and got a certifiable NBA ball player in the bargain.

Yeah, Snow did not have a stellar career here in Cleveland; but he was a usable guy (at least for a couple of years) and he was an asset to the community, something that gets lip service, but little else in the league that gave us the likes of Sprewell ('nuff said,) Charles Barkley (I'm nobody's role model), Kobe Bryant (way to honor your marriage vows, buddy) or Jason Kidd (you, too.)

I know that that shit goes on with people who are not NBA players, too; but the general public does not get the type of adulation the NBA players do.

OK, I'll get down off of my soapbox.
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

oberle wrote:he was an asset to the community, .

Like Percy ?

:lmfao:
jb

Unread postby oberle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:04 pm

JB wrote:

Like Percy ?

JB, You've got to have pity on an old guy and tell me what you're talking about.

Percy who?

Did a Cleveland team have a guy named Percy who was characterized as an asset to the community and then did something stupid? I'm missing something (and no wise comments on that one, either.)

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm

oberle wrote:
JB wrote:

Like Percy ?

JB, You've got to have pity on an old guy and tell me what you're talking about.

Percy who?

Did a Cleveland team have a guy named Percy who was characterized as an asset to the community and then did something stupid? I'm missing something (and no wise comments on that one, either.)

Let's just say E-Snows lil brother Persy Snow, formerly of the MSU Spartans and KC Cheifs, had, um, quite the rep back in Canton in the day after his brief NFL stint as a failed # 1 pick.

Maybe SSS can comment. I've heard lots of rumors / allegations.
jb

Unread postby oberle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 pm

I didn't know that Percy was Eric's brother.

Of course, you cannot define a person by his relatives. If we did that, then all of your relatives would be jerks.

(Then again, so would mine.)

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:20 pm

JB wrote:

Let's just say E-Snows lil brother Persy Snow, formerly of the MSU Spartans and KC Cheifs, had, um, quite the rep back in Canton in the day after his brief NFL stint as a failed # 1 pick.

C'mon guys out with it. Need some dirt over here...
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:25 pm

JB wrote:
oberle wrote:
JB wrote:

Like Percy ?

Percy who?

What??!!??

That guy won the Butkus AND the Lombardi Award. How did he possibly wash out? You sure he's not a Hall of Famer??

Sorry JoJo. I can't help it man. I can't. It's a disease...... Go ahead, hit me in the face. I'm a dick.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby davemanddd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm

aoxo1 wrote:One more time: the Cavs didn't sign Snow, they acquired him in a trade with the Sixers for Kevin Ollie, an even worse contract, and Kedrick Brown.

sorry, my bad. i forgot they got snow in a trade with philly. i must be getting old. the memory is the first thing to go. hee-hee!!!

:heehee:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA