Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:14 pm

I have a killer 1 pound sirloin steak I found at Acme yesterday. Perfectly trimmed, with small lines of fat running through it. I don't have a grill, but I do have Foreman Grill, a cast-iron skillet, and a broiler. Anyone have advise on the best way to cook this? Right now I'm torn between rubbing it with olive oil and salt and either cooking it in the skillet or using the Foreman Grill, but not closing it, so I can get that perfect medium rare.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Put down the George Foreman grill!!!!!! That grill could be the worst invention ever made. Food tastes like rubber and burnt plastic. Cook it in a castiron skillet if you dont have a grill.
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:32 pm

jfiling wrote:I have a killer 1 pound sirloin steak I found at Acme yesterday. Perfectly trimmed, with small lines of fat running through it. I don't have a grill, but I do have Foreman Grill, a cast-iron skillet, and a broiler. Anyone have advise on the best way to cook this? Right now I'm torn between rubbing it with olive oil and salt and either cooking it in the skillet or using the Foreman Grill, but not closing it, so I can get that perfect medium rare.


You don't say how thick it is, but I'll assume that it's 1"+???

Here's my recommendation and it's actually the ONLY way that I cook filet mignon, but will work for any steak:

-Rub that baby with a little EVOO and salt & pepper it and put it back in the fridge for at least a couple hours
-Bring it out about a 1/2 hr early and let it get to room temp
-Get that cast-iron HOT and turn your oven to 425 degrees
-Cook that baby for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side and then throw it in the oven until the internal temp reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare (if you don't have a thermometer than approx 8 minutes
-Pull it out and cover with loose foil for about 10 minutes to let the juices rest...it will keep cooking so that's why I pull it out at 130 degrees
-Bon Appetite!!!
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:33 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Put down the George Foreman grill!!!!!! That grill could be the worst invention ever made. Food tastes like rubber and burnt plastic. Cook it in a castiron skillet if you dont have a grill.


Absolutely Kyle!!!

For a young un, you sure know your chit :thumb up:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Actually, I've had great success with the Foreman, cooking fish and chicken. I'm going with Waborat's iron skillet method. I'm busting that steak out right now to rub it, and then let it sit in the fridge for a while. Thanks.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:50 pm

jfiling wrote:Actually, I've had great success with the Foreman, cooking fish and chicken. I'm going with Waborat's iron skillet method. I'm busting that steak out right now to rub it, and then let it sit in the fridge for a while. Thanks.


Let us know how it turns out?
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:37 pm

I cant get your steak description out of my head. If there wasnt a tornado outside of my house, I'd probably fire up the grill right now. Howd it turn out?
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 am

It was delicious. The wife loved it too. Thanks for the help on this.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am

jfiling wrote:It was delicious. The wife loved it too. Thanks for the help on this.


Our pleasure :smile:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Just a footnote to this. The steak was about 3/4" thick. I prepared with EVOO and salt and pepper, got it to room temperature, and heated up the skillet with the oven cooking fries at 425. The steak got about 45 seconds each side on the cooktop, and then about 4 minutes in the oven. It wasn't perfectly medium rare, but there was a nice bit of pinkish-red on the inside. Next time I'm getting a thicker steak.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:14 pm

jfiling wrote:Just a footnote to this. The steak was about 3/4" thick. I prepared with EVOO and salt and pepper, got it to room temperature, and heated up the skillet with the oven cooking fries at 425. The steak got about 45 seconds each side on the cooktop, and then about 4 minutes in the oven. It wasn't perfectly medium rare, but there was a nice bit of pinkish-red on the inside. Next time I'm getting a thicker steak.



Now thats Dirty Talk! ;-) ;) :wink:
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:
jfiling wrote:Just a footnote to this. The steak was about 3/4" thick. I prepared with EVOO and salt and pepper, got it to room temperature, and heated up the skillet with the oven cooking fries at 425. The steak got about 45 seconds each side on the cooktop, and then about 4 minutes in the oven. It wasn't perfectly medium rare, but there was a nice bit of pinkish-red on the inside. Next time I'm getting a thicker steak.



Now thats Dirty Talk! ;-) ;) :wink:


Nope, just Good Eats... I see we have some other Alton Brown fans here :)
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 pm

I love this forum. I love guys (and gals) who, like me, can not only cook, but are good to decent at preparing a meal. Guys that work to perfect their craft, whether basic grilled meat or sauces, or more complicated fare. As long as you have fun and it tastes good. I respect that.

But EVOO is a four letter acronym that screams Rachel Ray, an over exposed obnoxious little tart from PA whose 15 minutes should have ended about 3 years ago. Dudes, yer searing this thing at 450+, it doesn't matter. Use a combo of butter and axel grease and it will turn out fine. Sorry Wab, I have mad respect for you and your ability, but the term EVOO is gay. It just is.




Not there's anything wrong with that. :cheers:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3704
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:21 am

mattvan1 wrote:I love this forum. I love guys (and gals) who, like me, can not only cook, but are good to decent at preparing a meal. Guys that work to perfect their craft, whether basic grilled meat or sauces, or more complicated fare. As long as you have fun and it tastes good. I respect that.

But EVOO is a four letter acronym that screams Rachel Ray, an over exposed obnoxious little tart from PA whose 15 minutes should have ended about 3 years ago. Dudes, yer searing this thing at 450+, it doesn't matter. Use a combo of butter and axel grease and it will turn out fine. Sorry Wab, I have mad respect for you and your ability, but the term EVOO is gay. It just is.




Not there's anything wrong with that. :cheers:


:lmfao: I guess I never thought of the E,V,O,O that RR always says?

My wife has been saying E-VOO for a very long time and I guess that's why I don't spell it out...Unfortunately it's pretty much the only thing that we use most of the time due to my high blood pressure...damn doc says watch the other oils

Sorry Matt, for adding that lil metro-sexual aura to the boards...gonna have to use some serious ju ju to clean it up ;-) ;) :wink:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 am

waborat wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:I love this forum. I love guys (and gals) who, like me, can not only cook, but are good to decent at preparing a meal. Guys that work to perfect their craft, whether basic grilled meat or sauces, or more complicated fare. As long as you have fun and it tastes good. I respect that.

But EVOO is a four letter acronym that screams Rachel Ray, an over exposed obnoxious little tart from PA whose 15 minutes should have ended about 3 years ago. Dudes, yer searing this thing at 450+, it doesn't matter. Use a combo of butter and axel grease and it will turn out fine. Sorry Wab, I have mad respect for you and your ability, but the term EVOO is gay. It just is.




Not there's anything wrong with that. :cheers:


Truthfully, i cook all the time, and ive never knew what EVOO meant until i was reading this post. I figured it out on my own, but i was a little thrown off at first.

:lmfao: I guess I never thought of the E,V,O,O that RR always says?

My wife has been saying E-VOO for a very long time and I guess that's why I don't spell it out...Unfortunately it's pretty much the only thing that we use most of the time due to my high blood pressure...damn doc says watch the other oils

Sorry Matt, for adding that lil metro-sexual aura to the boards...gonna have to use some serious ju ju to clean it up ;-) ;) :wink:
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Put down the George Foreman grill!!!!!! That grill could be the worst invention ever made. Food tastes like rubber and burnt plastic. Cook it in a castiron skillet if you dont have a grill.



+ 3

If you think about going the Foreman route, just take the steak back and peel the sole off your dress shoe for dinner.

Same thing.

Dude, you realize even a lil table top charcoal grill is like $ 3 at WalMart. Cost less than the steak.

Invest.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

OK, y'all got me.

WTF is EVOO ?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:07 pm

extra virgin olive oil
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:extra virgin olive oil



Thanks BT . I am now complete.

Dang, if you are just marinading and grilling instead of dunking break and herbs, isn't that pure overkill?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm

JB wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:extra virgin olive oil



Thanks BT . I am now complete.

Dang, if you are just marinading and grilling instead of dunking break and herbs, isn't that pure overkill?


Shhh, not so loud...if the paisan from the old country hear ya it may be the last post you evers make
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 pm

You should never cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil!

Extra Virgin loses it's flavour in cooking, so you might as well just use regular Olive oil...... Extra Virgin should only be used in salad dressings or for dunking (I like to dunk a good chunk of Garlic bread in it myself).

In terms of cooking a steak..... you should put as little oil anywhere near it as possible!

You start with a little oil in the pan/skillet for searing the first side of the steak...... the second you flip that bad boy over you have to throw in a whole chunk of butter and just baste and baste the steak with the butter until the second side has had as much searing as the first...... then you throw it in the oven.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:You should never cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil!

Extra Virgin loses it's flavour in cooking, so you might as well just use regular Olive oil...... Extra Virgin should only be used in salad dressings or for dunking (I like to dunk a good chunk of Garlic bread in it myself).

In terms of cooking a steak..... you should put as little oil anywhere near it as possible!

You start with a little oil in the pan/skillet for searing the first side of the steak...... the second you flip that bad boy over you have to throw in a whole chunk of butter and just baste and baste the steak with the butter until the second side has had as much searing as the first...... then you throw it in the oven.

All I did was pour a little bit in my hand and rub both sides of the steak, then washed and dried my hands and added kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. I think it was the minimum amount of oil that could be used, and I knew I didn't have to worry because my cast-iron skillet is very well-seasoned.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:You should never cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil!

Extra Virgin loses it's flavour in cooking, so you might as well just use regular Olive oil...... Extra Virgin should only be used in salad dressings or for dunking (I like to dunk a good chunk of Garlic bread in it myself).

In terms of cooking a steak..... you should put as little oil anywhere near it as possible!

You start with a little oil in the pan/skillet for searing the first side of the steak...... the second you flip that bad boy over you have to throw in a whole chunk of butter and just baste and baste the steak with the butter until the second side has had as much searing as the first...... then you throw it in the oven.


Wow, you might be the first person that I've ever heard say don't cook with olive oil? I know a ton of chefs and they all cook certain foods in it all the time...

That's the cool thing about cooking, to each his own, do what you like...

I know the chefs at Red Steakhouse here in Cleveland and they always recommend rubbing a little oil on the steaks before seasoning so the sear marks don't dry out the edges but make them crispy...since they're always in the top 20 steakhouses in America, I'll go with their recommendations on that one...I also did forget that they alwasy put a piece of butter to melt on top when they put them in the ovens

I personally only use olive oil or coconut because they are the 2 healthiest oils for ya...if ya like vegie? fine...or peanut which changes the taste of food? fine
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:39 am

I'm not saying not to cook with Olive Oil..... just not Extra Virgin.

Your standard Olive Oil is good enough.... save the extra virgin for dressings and dipping.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Sirloin steak cooking tips?

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 pm

If you are looking for presentation (tic tac toe grill marks) for medium rare, you want grill at about 3/4 high heat, lightly rubbed in EVOO (or another oil if you prefer. I use EVOO for everything). 2 minutes, and then rotate the steak 90 degrees, cook 2 minutes, flip over after 2 minutes rotate 90 degrees, and cook for another 2 minutes, and then take it off the grill and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James


Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests