Text Size

High School Sports

Regina High School (almost) State Champs in all 4 divisions

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Regina High School (almost) State Champs in all 4 divisions

Unread postby oberle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Regina High School in South Euclid Ohio, came within 14 points of doing something that no other team (boys or girls) has ever done at the high school level in Ohio.

They won the Division III girls basketball championship.

They had beaten the Div IV champion (Columbus Africentric) in a tournament in December.

They had beaten the Div II champion (Hathaway Brown) in league play.

They had beaten the Div I runner-up (Toledo Start who lost by 14 points to the Div I champ Mount Notre Dame) in tournament play.

Regina was the only undefeated team this year in girls basketball in the state of Ohio.

Had Toledo Start won the Div I championship (or Canton-McKinley who lost in the semis to Mount Notre Dame) then Regina High School could have laid claim to being the first ever State Champion for all Divisions.

Regina normally schedules only Division I and II opponents; except for their league opponents. Facing a Division IV team is really a rarity for them; making this the first time in their run of 6 state titles in 9 years that they faced (and beat) at least one of the finalists at every level of girls basketball in Ohio.

Almost as impressive is that their league (The Independent School League) boasts state champions in two divisions.
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Return to High School Sports